18if

Episode 1:

This was trash. It tries to get by on being quirky and weird, but I've seen all the quirky and weird stuff elsewhere. It's not that creative. It takes more than Mc Escher and giant teddy bears to blow my mind. They're going for a sort of Alice in Wonderland vibe, but they don't have the style to pull it off.

Animation wise this is fairly ugly looking. It's going for a sort of Shaft style, but they have no idea how to make it work. Just being stylized isn't good enough. It gets actively annoying when being stylized interferes with the watching experience. The stupid scene where they exposition is done with the character multiplying and talking over himself was just fucking annoying. I may not be the biggest Shaft fan, but they pay attention to aesthetics and scene placement when they're creating scenes. This show is just a mess throw up on the screen.

Also, the ending to the episode was pathetic with the sappy music playing as if I was supposed to care about the witch or her stupid fucking backstory. Then she gets over supposedly serious mental trauma that put her in a coma after a two minute conversation with the main character. Fuck that noise.

Stay the hell away from this one people.

Episode 2.
...Well, that went from 0 to 100 content wise pretty quick.
Last episode was some chick who got made fun of. This one is a blood soaked revenge episode about a triple murder. Also, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure those three would have been tried as adults.

Episode 3:

What the fuck even is this show?

Last week we get some Nightmare on Elm Street revenge shit going and this week we get a vapid romance that I guess was supposed to be bittersweet, but just passed by in blur of cliches and uninspired storytelling.

What's even worse is the main character has no personality. He might as well be a different character in each episode. In the second episode he's unhinged and was totally into the witch murdering those dudes, but this week he's kind and caring to someone he barely knows.

Vatican is still worse, though.

Episode 3.
Pick a tone, show!

First episode is discount Madoka.
Second episode is all bloody murder.
And now we get some romantic dramedy.

Find a lane and stay in it!

Episode 4:

Do you have to be on drugs to enjoy this? I can see any appeal to this other than trippy visuals and even those aren't that impressive on Gonzo's clearly limited budget.

This episode was sure trying to make some point about food and eating disorders. It didn't end up making one, because it was too focused on chaotic, meaningless visuals, but it made some weak attempts.

This episode was sure trying to make some point about food and eating disorders. It didn't end up making one, because it was too focused on chaotic, meaningless visuals, but it made some weak attempts.
Silly, you can cure an eating disorder by simple act of enjoying curry rice! That's what anime told me.
Such fucking asshat handling of the issue. Bleh.

Silly, you can cure an eating disorder by simple act of enjoying curry rice! That's what anime told me.
Such fucking asshat handling of the issue. Bleh.

Well first you need a man to tell you that eating is okay. Don't let it make you so miserable.

You womenfolk always need a man to explain things to you.

Find a lane and stay in it!
I do want to point out that it's like that is because each episodes has a different director doing their "take," so in total, 12. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, they all suck then. Cause this show is garbage.
I may not be watching the series but I already knew it would the moment it got announced a mobile puzzle game is getting an adaptation. It being done by Gonzo and the 12 directors pretty much made it all the likelihood to fail.

Episode 5:

Oh your dream life is going well and is completely proving that life without the pressures of skating is great for you. Well, guess what, fuck you, it's your destiny to do something that makes your miserable, so get your ass back out there and start hating life again....nah, just kidding you've been in a coma for 1000 years, you're old as fuck.

What the fuck is wrong with this show? It's incoherent garbage.

Well. they finally explain what I am going to generously call the plot and it ends up just being a bunch of plot points taken from all over the place it's like a mishmash of the religious stuff used in Evangelion crossed with the Matrix crossed with Inception in a heap of complete nonsense. At this point it becomes clear the creators just threw together a bunch of ideas they thought were cool and came up with an incoherent mess.

Then again this is the show that had the main character's dick turn into a genie and then paste a bunch of idols to the wall with jizz so expecting anything else would be silly.

Back