Ys

AdmiralMuffin

NINihXf.jpg

History of Ys.
Ys VIII is on the horizon so I decided to make a general Ys thread. If there are any fans of the series here or if you wanna get into the franchise then feel free to post.

Anyhoo, I was planning to replay all the games this month in preparation for Ys VIII but I decided to just replay Memories of Celceta since I still have a shitload of backlog. I'm still planning to tackle the whole saga. Probably later this year. I'm already at the part where this starts playing and it's so so good. Not my favorite track but still pretty sweet.

This reminds me that I really need to finish the other games in this series besides the first one someday. For some reason I've finished the first game multiple times but I've never gotten through the second. Also played through part of Origin though I always get stuck...

Fucking love the TurboGrafx CD version of the soundtrack (it's also my preferred version of the first two games even though I have to endure crappy English voice acting), imo it's better than some of the newer ones that add the electric guitar in.

Finally finished Ys Origin not too long ago. Great soundtrack, solid fast-paced combat, and a pretty decent story to go along with it. There's also some great replay value with three characters to play as, each having their own combat style due to either weapon or skills used and their own path (for lack of a better word) through the story. I played through the game as all three characters and I didn't feel bored once despite going through the same areas again, which is nice. Overall length is decent too with the whole game lasting around 25-30 hours if playing all three characters (about 10 hours or so per character, but I finished the game faster each time), and this is an easy recommendation I can make to someone looking for an RPG that's not too long but not too short either.

Started playing the Turbografx CD version of 1 and 2 afterwards and as usual, finished Ys 1 in one sitting. Not the best in the series for me (best one so far in my opinion would be Origin, out of the ones I've played) but for some reason this game just really clicks for me. Probably a combination of a kickass soundtrack and addictive bump combat system. The combat in Origin is better in every way but the bump combat system is just... satisfying. Last thing I want to mention is that Darm Tower in Ys 1 is a pain in the ass.

I'd type more but I have to go eat... >_<

After around an hour of dying constantly to the final boss, I finally finished Ys 2. My thoughts on 2 are basically the same as my thoughts on 1, except 2 was an improvement in a few ways (the game feels larger than the first and there's the addition of a magic system). At least in this version, there was a somewhat nasty difficulty spike that persists throughout a good chunk of the game. I feel like this may have been due to some kind of balancing issue because of character level being persistent across both games (rather than each game being seperate like the original Japanese releases were, and this being the first version to combine the two in this way), since it feels a bit jarring after going through Ys 1 basically steamrolling most things.

The one thing I hated though, was the insane amount of backtracking. Darm Tower in the first game was already somewhat annoying with this but Solomon Shrine is quite possibly the worst example of backtracking I've ever seen. Pretty sure I spent around 5 hours in there even with multiple guides because of how confusing the layout is.

Then we get to fight Darm and... oh god. I had one hell of a time fighting him and by that I mean a lot of frustration. This felt based on luck with all the times he teleports from one side of the room to the other before you can even reach him, and you also have to deal with balls that hit you like a meat grinder if you're moving in the same direction as it's hitting you (Adol having what felt like a pretty large hitbox doesn't help). Maybe I just suck but this really felt cheap compared to the rest of the game.

Not sure if this would be a version I'd replay since the newer remakes might have a bit better balancing (I'll know more when I get around to playing them), but this isn't a bad version in my opinion and I'm left with a positive impression despite the late-game frustration.

Wow. Ys VIII's PC release is a disaster. Ys VIII does not deserve all these disasters. Tokyo Xanadu wasn't exactly the best but at least Aksys didn't just constantly bungled with it.

Hopefully, this will mean Falcom won't give the rights to localize their games to NISA ever again.

Wow. Ys VIII's PC release is a disaster. Ys VIII does not deserve all these disasters. Tokyo Xanadu wasn't exactly the best but at least Aksys didn't just constantly bungled with it.

Hopefully, this will mean Falcom won't give the rights to localize their games to NISA ever again.
Someone's Steam review: "Constant crashes, controller issues, and random video issues. I have a 1080ti and VSYNC rnadomly turns off and on. The controller I use is an Xbox controller and the entire game is showing PS4 controls. If I going into a menu, I can come out of a menu and my buttons are randomly remapped."

Wow. That sounds like Dark Souls 1 PC levels of bad porting if not worse. And yeah, hopefully XSeed does the future games from now on since it sounds like NISA can't seem to stop fucking up (first a bad localization, and now this) At least the Switch version should be good? I heard somewhere that the Switch version is supposedly going to be the definitive version of the game (and it's the one I plan on getting).

And yeah, hopefully XSeed does the future games from now on since it sounds like NISA can't seem to stop fucking up (first a bad localization, and now this) At least the Switch version should be good? I heard somewhere that the Switch version is supposedly going to be the definitive version of the game (and it's the one I plan on getting).

Reason why Falcom chose NISA is because they promised a simultaneous PC release and better marketing and look what happened. This is a lesson to them. XSEED may be a small company but they're pretty passionate and thorough when it comes to Falcom games.

As for the Switch version, I think Falcom will be doing the porting themselves. So yeah there's nothing to worry about.

I'm already at the part where this starts playing and it's so so good.
Ahh, that Falcom violin~

Not my favorite track but still pretty sweet.
Part of my experience with the Ys series is "holy crap this is so good" followed by "holy crap this is even better".

My first modern Ys game was Oath. I was blown away by it. And then I played Origin.

I have no idea what that either :P

Anyway, I just bought Ys Seven.

Here's my Ys list:
Ys Origin (PC) (finished 1/3 characters)
Ys 1 (NES)
Ys 1 (PC) (finished)
Ys 2 (PC)
Ys Oath (PC) (finished)
Ys Ark (PC)
Ys Seven (PC)
also some miscellaneous swag for various Ys games, including Celceta, because I once bought $60 worth of Ys and Trails stuff (aside from games) from XSEED's online store. So I have stuff like an Ys: Memories of Celceta player's guide, written as if it were one of Adol's adventure logbooks. Also an Ys-branded compass (which actually kinda sucks as a compass). And multiple CDs of Ys music.

Ahh, that Falcom violin~

Part of my experience with the Ys series is "holy crap this is so good" followed by "holy crap this is even better".

My first modern Ys game was Oath. I was blown away by it. And then I played Origin.

I have no idea what that either :P

Anyway, I just bought Ys Seven.

Here's my Ys list:
Ys Origin (PC) (finished 1/3 characters)
Ys 1 (NES)
Ys 1 (PC) (finished)
Ys 2 (PC)
Ys Oath (PC) (finished)
Ys Ark (PC)
Ys Seven (PC)
also some miscellaneous swag for various Ys games, including Celceta, because I once bought $60 worth of Ys and Trails stuff (aside from games) from XSEED's online store. So I have stuff like an Ys: Memories of Celceta player's guide, written as if it were one of Adol's adventure logbooks. Also an Ys-branded compass (which actually kinda sucks as a compass). And multiple CDs of Ys music.

Glad to see another Nihon Falcom fan. Maybe I should make that Trails thread after all.

OzAEXCb.jpg

o4UTeop.jpg

Ugh. Ys VIII just can't take a break. Early reviewers of the Switch port are reporting text and sound issues. Hopefully this will be all patched up on release day.

Geez. NISA, get your shit together.
You have got to be fucking kidding me. Hopefully they patch this shit.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Hopefully they patch this shit.
Last I heard, NISA was indeed aware that their loc job turned out worse than that of NES Ghosts n Goblins. I haven't been following developments though. (Mostly because I'm still backlogged on games. And probably will be for years to come.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...downloading_free_dlc/?st=jiw7rv2b&sh=d2ca71f4

So downloading the DLC before the day one patch completely breaks the game. Jesus Fucking Christ, NISA. You continue to find new ways to fuck this game up. Across multiple platforms too. Geez.
And if you buy it digitally the game is just completely broken, according to multiple comments on that post. Just... how does this happen? I don't think I've ever seen a company fuck up a game this badly.

Back