Norn9

Re: Norn 9: Norn + Nornette

I've always had an awful track record with Otome game adaptations, but here I am watching another one hoping it's not so bad. I mean, I'd play the game, but I don't have a PSP nor the shits to give. :laugh:
Episode 1
Wait, I thought this was about a young boy from the past time-jumping to the future? Maybe this is how the Koharu route plays out..? I don't know, it's not as interesting to me now. :laugh:

Shiranui best girl. :megusta:

It's a very pretty series, I'll give it that. And it's got such a luscious soundtrack. I'm a bit divided on the sound design, but the soundtrack almost makes up for it. :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

Well that was boring as shit. Flat, one-dimensional characters that have no personality beyond the obvious stereotypes the writers lumped them into, and the main lead, good god is she vapid. She's literally just a vessel for the self-insert audience. There was no plot besides "we're a peace keeping organization", unless you count apple picking and the typical "boy saves girl from falling out of a tree" exceptionally engaging. Seriously, nothing happened in this episode.

Episode 1

Dull, impactless, unnatural conversations and blank slate female protagonist who is an obvious self-insert type with a dramatic backstory.

Episode 2

Again, the characters feel lifeless. Exposition is given but never really rationalized. Stuff just happens to happen. The plot would be interesting if the characters would be slightly less flat to say the least. This feels like a very bland reverse harem with an excuse for a fantasy plot running in the background. So much focus is given to characters but they never feel alive despite all the attention they are given. The delivery of the female lead is also... well she sounds emotionless which apparently isn't supposed to be her forte.

Episode 2
These characters might be boring as batshit and the plot might be as bland as they come, but at least it's nice to look at. Like most otome games I've played, really. :laugh:
Yeah, love, that's pyrokinesis for you. :laugh:

That looks like a considerable amount of debris to me, what are you on about?

Also, lame excuse for cute mascots.

> "If it's a boy-and-girl pair, the boy can protect the girl while the enemy attacks..."
You're assuming the girls haven't got bomb-ass powers of their own. We've already confirmed that two of them have pyrokinesis and the ability to throw up a energy shield. The girl with the energy shield's likely going to be protecting her partner's arse. :troll:

At least they finally got the hikikomori out of bed, even if he's been bitching about it the whole time and ended up getting out of work early. Then again, I'm probably being way too harsh. Maybe he's got a chronic fatigue disorder and didn't have the spoons to deal with this shit today. :laugh:

Well, it's barely hours into the whole pairs thing and Kakeru's already taking advantage of the MC's naivety. Red flags ahoy!

Hey, it's the fourth playable character! And he's from the present day. Then again, Koharu thinks it's 1919 and it probably isn't. Hurrah for unreliable MCs!

Sounds like a good thing I skipped this one. Then again Prince of Stride isn't much better.

Episode 3
Watching this after ERASED is like eating McDonalds after going to a 5-star teppanyaki restaurant. :laugh:
Also if Koharu's partner turns out to be a "sadistic" (read: abusive) twat, I'm jumping ship faster than you can say "I'm still in the air".

I mean, he's already been shown to have antiquated views on gender roles ("Girls should keep their hands nice and smooth, and let men handle all the dirty work"), and he is being funny towards Koharu ("funny" being "taking advantage of her naivety")... Koharu is about as bright as a broken light-bulb, but she doesn't deserve to be dragged around like this. :flip:

Oh my... Mikoto not only can't draw, but hangs around someone who's way too nice about it. :laugh:

I want to make Nanami's rice balls now. Blue Heeler over there can go get stuffed. :laugh:

> Hikikomori has told Kakki-kun that he wants to be alone
> Kakki-kun gives exactly no shits, breaks into his house, threatens him then takes him away against his will
I see a pattern here, and it's not a good one... :seriously:

Now Modern Kid is playing Hunt the Vocaloid...

Exhibit A: a shitty, no-good, awful pairing played straight by Nanami and Blue Heeler Akito. :yunoguy:

Episode 4
I have my dropped reaction pic on standby in case Kakki gets worse. :laugh:

Kakki needs to get wrecked. A little cold isn't good enough - I'm talking full-blown beaten the heck out of. So he can't throw himself into other people's business anymore. :laugh:

Lame excuse for a mascot #4314.

Sakuya has the power of over-protectiveness. :laugh:

Senri was just hoping that Kakki got the plague. So am I, to be honest. :megusta:

Ha~ah, this is a slow-ass episode. Maybe I should just end it here anyway - I think I'm going to be bored to death before I burn myself out from raging over the awful, no-good, very bad relationships in this show. :frustrat:

Oh, your earring went missing?
MYafuVT.gif

Well guys, I think I'm done. It's a really lovely looking show and has a great soundtrack, but these characters man... they're stock-standard, stiff and boring as batshit. And don't get me started on that poor excuse of a plot. I'm really not interested in continuing, but if you're an Otome game fan or like pretty bishies regardless of any bad personalities, you might have better luck than me.

Z8BRwH6.gif

Captain out.

Episode 5

What?
Why is this all so...
Because her heart wants to be deceived, of course, yes this makes perfect sense as something to create drama the next episode. Speaking of drama, dying for your loved one, they went there, subtle... so subtle... just like the characters all still feeling dead inside. The kid barely shows up and the romance is strong with this one. Because no way can guys and girls remain friends in such a setting all have to be connected through the past and be romantically interested in each other but cannot romance because magical dramatic reasons and stuff, yes.

This female pink headed ditz is the worst of them though, I swear, how can she be so soulless and distant in portrayal...

Episode 6

Dull, mostly, dull, presentation of all these events carried little energy.

Episode 7

In the vast sea of no fucks given some fucking thing happened and then toward the end we finally hit our first overarching storyline landmark since the invasion of the ship...

Episode 12 [Final]

Toward the end of the anime most stuff stopped being endless build up and things actually happened. Most of the anime is very melodramatic and in the end this anime simply didn't pack enough of a punch in it's first half to really be worth watching even for those that enjoy forced romatic tropes with a slightly new lick of paint.

2.75/5

[sadht]Norn 9: Norn + Nornette[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

The other Otome Game adaptation this season. I think I'll be giving it pass.
It's not letting me play the darn thing and I'm getting TICKED OFF!!!!!!!!!!

ITS NOT LETTING ME PLAY THE DANG EPISODE AND I'M GETTING TICKED OFF RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO WATCH IT BUT IT'S NOT LETTING ME GOD!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!

ITS NOT LETTING ME PLAY THE DANG EPISODE AND I'M GETTING TICKED OFF RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO WATCH IT BUT IT'S NOT LETTING ME GOD!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!

Make sure your flashplayer is up to date and make sure that you have any adblock turned off.

Back