Unpopular Anime Opinions

I think I've seen enough to say this because I doubt, my opinion will change, but, Re:zero is veeeeeeeeeery mediocre to me. I know a lot of people on AP dig it, but I just outright hate it at this point. This show still feels too closely tied to typical LN issekai roots, and Subaru is one of the worst main characters, I've seen in years, even worse than Shirou. His central driving force, basically amounts to, how much I want to bone that elf chick. Every time, I see a Subaru in real life, that's gonna trigger me, to bring out a flame thrower, and wanting to burn it to the ground.

You may now throws at me.

Last edited:
I think I've seen enough to say this because I doubt, my opinion will change, but, Re:zero is veeeeeeeeeery mediocre to me. I know a lot of people on AP dig it, but I just outright hate it at this point. This show still feels too closely tied to typical LN issekai roots, and Subaru is one of the worst main characters, I've seen in years, even worse than Shirou. His central driving force, basically amounts to, how much I want to bone that elf chick. Every time, I see a Subaru in real life, that's gonna trigger me, to bring out a flame thrower, and wanting to burn it to the ground.

You may now throws at me.
Tfw own a subaru :crying:

I know this is incredibly unpopular, and I hope this isn't too broad a topic, but personally, I feel like an anime adaptation should stand on its own, so the whole "go read the manga" thing doesn't make sense to me.

I have a better way to access anime as opposed to manga, and I usually go for the animated image first, its just what I prefer. But similar to a movie adaptation of a book or game, I feel like I shouldn't have to consume a different form of media, that I have less access to, in order to understand something that should tell a full story on its own. Its why I have very little issues with Anime Original Endings, usually. Some are absolutely dumb, but most don't bother me.

Yeah, sometimes I want the series to follow the source material, especially if the alternative is incredibly dumb.
But to me, they are very few and far between, and I'm open to hearing a story being told a different way than its source material (its why I enjoy FMA 2003 so much more than FMA Brotherhood). Otherwise, you get an adaptation like Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle or Tokyo Ghoul where you have to read the manga to even get an inkling of story without being confused or disappointed

I know this is incredibly unpopular, and I hope this isn't too broad a topic, but personally, I feel like an anime adaptation should stand on its own, so the whole "go read the manga" thing doesn't make sense to me.

I have a better way to access anime as opposed to manga, and I usually go for the animated image first, its just what I prefer. But similar to a movie adaptation of a book or game, I feel like I shouldn't have to consume a different form of media, that I have less access to, in order to understand something that should tell a full story on its own. Its why I have very little issues with Anime Original Endings, usually. Some are absolutely dumb, but most don't bother me.

Yeah, sometimes I want the series to follow the source material, especially if the alternative is incredibly dumb.
But to me, they are very few and far between, and I'm open to hearing a story being told a different way than its source material (its why I enjoy FMA 2003 so much more than FMA Brotherhood). Otherwise, you get an adaptation like Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle or Tokyo Ghoul where you have to read the manga to even get an inkling of story without being confused or disappointed

Well, I agree with a lot of what you said - Manga is indeed a lot harder to access. I also don't really like reading manga, I'd rather watch an anime. I oftentimes find what's going on in a manga to be pretty confusing at times, especially in action series. I also think that good music and voice acting enhances the emotions of a series in very important ways.

However, because I think like that, I don't want anime-only endings. I want anime to follow the manga perfectly. TBH, I don't want to have to feel like I have to go to a manga for any canon material at all. I'd rather avoid manga altogether.

KfBFczw.gif

@GenSan knows her shit.

Every time Subaru opened his mouth I was just like:
NtVikEf.gif

Unpopular opinion: Pretty much all horror anime sucks. The whole art-style of anime just makes it goofy and impossible to take seriously. Especially the big name horror shows. Higurashi, Another, School-Live, etc. They try and be all bloody and shocking, but I'm just sitting here laughing cause it looks like this.

Unpopular opinion; I don't find Tomoko from Watamote relatable in the slightest, because whether or not she's socially anxious, she's a horrible person and treats everyone around her like shit. She just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As someone who does have anxiety (social included), its aggravating that *some* of the things you relate to come out of the mouth of a bitchy attention seeker who doesn't have any regard for anyone other than herself.

And I don't find it particularly funny or relatable when a character fakes being molested just to get attention. I don't care how some people may do that in real life, it doesn't make it any less shitty.

Unpopular opinion; I don't find Tomoko from Watamote relatable in the slightest, because whether or not she's socially anxious, she's a horrible person and treats everyone around her like shit. She just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As someone who does have anxiety (social included), its aggravating that *some* of the things you relate to come out of the mouth of a bitchy attention seeker who doesn't have any regard for anyone other than herself.

And I don't find it particularly funny or relatable when a character fakes being molested just to get attention. I don't care how some people may do that in real life, it doesn't make it any less shitty.
I'd like to think no one ever finds her completely relatable. She's just an utter trainwreck of a person, but it's not hard to see why someone would see an ugly part of themselves in her. In particular, the way in which she over inflates herself while selfishly assuming poorly of others for not eating out of the palm of her hand.

I actually didn't even realize we are supposed to relate to her. I have always viewed that show as an over the top cringe comedy. Only thing she has spot on is the messy hair and under eye circles. I sport that look everyday.

Unpopular opinion around here: Fujiko Mine sucks. Bite me.

Unpopular opinion around here: Fujiko Mine sucks. Bite me.

She's probably sucked most of the guys, just not Lupin. Never Lupin. He should probably see a doctor about a boner that's lasted for forty years.

She'd probably bite you, too. If you had something she wanted.

Durarara is unwatchable.
Kill La Kill is overrated.
FMA is terribly overrated
Fate UBW is unwatchable
Naruto/One Piece etc. - please shrink them to max 26 episodes and MAYBE they become watchable

Naruto/One Piece etc. - please shrink them to max 26 episodes and MAYBE they become watchable
that won't work, there are other reasons why they are bad, and rushing through 700 chapters will make it even worst (skipping the fillers will be good though..)

that won't work, there are other reasons why they are bad, and rushing through 700 chapters will make it even worst (skipping the fillers will be good though..)
I do agree, that's why I only said that MAYBE they would become watchable ;)

Fate UBW is unwatchable

This is probably unpopular most place, but it's certainly not an unpopular opinion on this forum. There are several regulars that passionately hated the whole show. Me, @Taek and @LinkSword in particular took great pleasure in taking the piss out of the pretentious pile of shit every episode.

I see your unpopular opinion and raise you a "Lupin sucks in general".

As if we're watching Lupin for Lupin. It's all about Jigen and Moemon. Jigen is like the grumpy cat meme. He seems to hate everything, everyone gets on his nerves and life is constantly shitting on him, but he grumbles his way through it all in a manner that's both endearing and hardboiled somehow.

And Goemon is the moe-est motherfucker this side of Ichijou from Kaiji.
g8ZBCnB.jpg

He's supposed to be the taciturn samurai, but he's actually really awkward and easily flustered. His stoic samurai quotes rarely make much sense in context. Also, he can cut stuff real good and his episodes are usually the highlight of any season. He's got the coolest episode in Part IV and episode 3 of Fujiko Mine was hilarious.

Dragon Ball... hmm storyline who needs one... Lets just have them power up for 10 mins in each show... THATS A GREAT IDEA.... Hey I have an idea lets use the strangest voice actors we can find.... THATS A GREAT IDEA....

This is probably unpopular most place, but it's certainly not an unpopular opinion on this forum. There are several regulars that passionately hated the whole show. Me, @Taek and @LinkSword in particular took great pleasure in taking the piss out of the pretentious pile of shit every episode..
well, what can I do... ah, I'll credit you guys for that! UBW, both the movie and, even worse, the TV series manage to facesmash what was remotely acceptable -plot wise/character wise- of the franchise.
To me, honestly, looks like a show that has been assigned to someone who has never seen the previous chapters and arbitrarily decides how a certain character will behave based on subjective parameters, rather than favouring consistency.

Back