Doctor Who Thread

randomredneck

dFCw11T.jpg

*Vworp, vworp, vworp*
tumblr_ljnocpbYqh1qa5cy1o1_500.gif

Welcome to the Doctor Who thread! The thread for that exceedingly long, exceedingly weird British show about aliens. The newest season beings soon, so here be the thread.

Sad that Capaldi is already on his way out though. He was a good Doctor.

Finally, a new episode! It's been far too long.

Looks like Billy's going to be a better companion than I first thought. Tbh, going in I didn't have very high hopes for her, but it seems like she'll make for an interesting addition. I thought her reaction to the whole thing was actually the best thing about the episode.

Overall, though, the episode was pretty average. After being off for a year, I was hoping for a little more.
The whole puddle not reflecting properly is ridiculous. The first thing you would notice wouldn't be the fact that your face looks a little odd, it's that when you move your left hand your reflection's left hand would go up. I know they kinda moved symmetrically when they were looking at the puddle, but you would have a hard time not noticing something like that.

And seriously, why is the bald guy still there? I didn't particularly care about him in the first episode he was in, and I assumed the only reason he stayed on for another was that they wanted to give the Doctor a companion, but didn't want to introduce someone new for the sake of one special. Now I'm just wondering if no one had the heart to tell the actor they didn't want him on the show any more. That being said, always nice to have another male companion.

The concept of sentient oil was pretty cool though, if a little weird. I was actually a bit freaked out because of it, which hasn't happened in a Doctor Who episode in a while, so I hope that keeps up!
Still, it was quite an enjoyable episode. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Billy, especially.

Just a rumor (From some dubious newpaper called The Mirror to boot) but word is a guy named Kris Marshall may be the next Doctor.

"Thin Ice"
Twelve and Bill continue to make this show damn fun to watch.
Also, punching racists. Twelve may creep into my top 3 Doctor's at this rate.

Damn, it's been a while since I enjoyed an episode of Doctor Who that much. Looks like the long break paid off.
Bill is slowly becoming one of my favourite companions. I feel like I'd gotten very used to the companions just accepting what was going on fairly quickly, but she actually reacts like a sane human being should, and I'm loving it.

And 12 has just blossomed with a decent companion. I thought he was a bit stiff with Clara, although I'm not sure if that was the script writer's fault or because their personalities didn't really match up, but whatever it was, it's definitely been sorted.

Such a shame they have to leave so soon.

Just one thing I was a bit confused about - since when does the sonic screwdriver work on organic stuff? Did he decide to upgrade it just so he'd be able to escape some rope?:D

And 12 has just blossomed with a decent companion. I thought he was a bit stiff with Clara, although I'm not sure if that was the script writer's fault or because their personalities didn't really match up, but whatever it was, it's definitely been sorted.
It was Clara's fault for being a smug, whiny, know-it-all cow. Always acting like she knew better than him.

It was Clara's fault for being a smug, whiny, know-it-all cow. Always acting like she knew better than him.

I think the other problem with Clara and Twelve was their dynamic. It was another "doctor travels with ~super special magical mystery girl~" combination, with an extra dose of Manic Pixie Know-it-All. It's cute the first time around but it feels like every female companion in New Who bar Martha and (maybe?) Donna have this weird dynamic with their doctors, and it becomes obnoxious after a while.*

* - I've missed a lot of New Who, so correct me if I'm wrong. This is just the impression I've gotten from what I've seen.

At least with Bill and Twelve it's more akin to an old-school student-mentor relationship. It seems less that Twelve sees Bill as some kind of enigmatic concept in human form and more a person with a great potential and desire to learn. It helps that Capaldi and Mackie have this great on-screen chemistry that makes things feel a bit more fun and fresh.

* - I've missed a lot of New Who, so correct me if I'm wrong. This is just the impression I've gotten from what I've seen.
Nah, you're right. Martha was pretty much the last normal-ish Companion. Donna was on the way, until the whole "Doctor-Donna" prophecy bullcrap.

Nah, you're right. Martha was pretty much the last normal-ish Companion. Donna was on the way, until the whole "Doctor-Donna" prophecy bullcrap.
I really don't see why they feel the need to make every new companion 'special', and have huge overarching story lines that just complicate everything. Most of the best episodes I've seen were standalone episodes where the companion wasn't the saviour of the universe (at least at that point) and they didn't have to ram in some loose connection to a story arc.

"Knock Knock"
Pretty good. Ending dragged a touch, but it was enjoyably creepy.
Also, that is totally The Master in that vault.

Pretty interesting episode.
I don't really understand why the characters came back after being eaten (?) by the wood, but it was a nice surprise.

For some reason I really liked the wooden girl at the end. Her appearance was really pretty, but still creepy af.

"Oxygen"
Spooky space zombies. Good stuff.
And I'm pretty sure I know where the next episode is going. There's only one cure for that blindness. And it starts with 'R' and rhymes with degeneration.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed that episode. Bit of an anticlimactic ending, but still enjoyable.

I really don't know how the Doctor plans to keep the fact that he's blind from Bill. I can't imagine it's the easiest thing to hide, no matter how skilled you are.

"Extremis"
And Moffat does what he does best these days: Sucks any and all joy from the show, and replaces it with pretentious, duller than dishwater bullcrap. That episode sucked.

*sigh* was that really necessary? Why couldn't they just stick with the one off interesting episodes?

And why are they making this species invading such a big deal? It's not like this is the first time Earth's about to be invaded, and the aliens doing it this time were so uncofident that they had to run a simulation of invading before doing the actual thing. And they didn't even do the simulation properly, they just walked around a bit and generally looked a bit creepy. Basically the only reason they might have an advantage is that the Doctor's blind, but frankly the worst that'll happen is that they'll kill him once, he'll regenerate, get his vision back and then stop them.

I was a bit confused with this episode to begin with. The pope was Pope Benedict IX, right? So exactly when in the episode were they in his time?

Also, shouldn't a pope from the 11th century be speaking Latin, not Italian? And shouldn't the language be automatically translated to English by the TARDIS for the Doctor and Bill?

Well, Pope Benedict IX is an actual historical figure... Must be some reference to past Doctor Who, perhaps before the 2005 series, because I have no recollection. Or I guess it could be one of those middle of the nowhere, never previously seen things that this series likes to do sometimes.

So the pope appearing in the episode was the modern one in the Doctor Who Earth. Perhaps that clears up why he wasn't speaking Latin. Not that I know enough about what language a modern pope speaks in. Still seems weird that the TARDIS wouldn't translate it, though.

Back