The Promised Neverland

g3data

The Promised Neverland
Alt title: Yakushoku no Neverland

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

I've read a handful of chapters of this.

Surprisingly edgy considering that this is a Shonen Jump manga, which is odd since this is the same magazine that turned down Attack on Titan for that reason. Premise wise it's sort of like Animal Farm, but with humans being eaten and their caretaker not being an inept piece of shit like Jones.

If you forget all that and just focus on the manga itself, the twist isn't much of a surprise. I've come to expect the worst from sequestered orphanages in anime/manga (Zankyou no Terror, Seraph of the End, Monster, Death Note, Kiznaiver, all of the top of my head).

Not expecting to see many of these kids die though. Jump's gotta have a point where this kind of shit gets reigned in. Doesn't seem as schlocky as it could be. Can't tell if I'll like or not since the mind games between the kids and Mama have only begun as far as I've gotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read a handful of chapters of this.

Surprisingly edgy considering that this is a Shonen Jump manga, which is odd since this is the same magazine that turned down Attack on Titan for that reason. Premise wise it's sort of like Animal Farm, but with humans being eaten and their caretaker not being an inept piece of shit like Jones.

If you forget all that and just focus on the manga itself, the twist isn't much of a surprise. I've come to expect the worst from sequestered orphanages in anime/manga (Zankyou no Terror, Seraph of the End, Monster, Death Note, Kiznaiver, all of the top of my head).

Not expecting to see many of these kids die though. Jump's gotta have a point where this kind of shit gets reigned in. Doesn't seem as schlocky as it could be. Can't tell if I'll like or not since the mind games between the kids and Mama have only begun as far as I've gotten.
I'm actually up to date atm
Not sure why you'd call this edgy? It is different from the average WSJ manga though.

The mind games are fun so far imo, although too much of this will inevitably get stale. The thing I'm mostly worried about is what is going to happen AFTER they escape (I do expect them to succeed). I hope the authors have a plan on what to do next...

I'm actually up to date atm
Not sure why you'd call this edgy? It is different from the average WSJ manga though.

The mind games are fun so far imo, although too much of this will inevitably get stale. The thing I'm mostly worried about is what is going to happen AFTER they escape (I do expect them to succeed). I hope the authors have a plan on what to do next...
Yeh thats my issue as well. Hopefully they can pull something off that feels good. Although you would hope they had that all planned out well before they start the series, I mean it is the whole plot essentially.

Yes this is Jump, but I dont see why this series has to be reigned in. Dont forget this magazine gave us Death Note and HxH which are both super gory and edgy. Death Note has deaths left, right and center, with some very gruesome.

I have loved this series so far though. Love the facial expressions too. The series really does ride on what will happen after the escape though.

Chapter 17
well, the younger duo is making this more interesting at least. They've both shown that they're intelligent too (Gilda by getting the door open, Don by realizing Ray and the others might not be telling the entire truth) while their reckless actions make the group more... flexible? not sure if that's the right word here, but I'll go with that

Also interesting: the year is at least 2043, while the latest book is from 2015.
Euwd4JK.png

The morse code in the books is interesting too, especially since one of the codes spells promise - which is of course directly referencing the title.

Now I'm curious to see how Don and Gilda will get out of the shit they've gotten themselves into

Yep. Still going strong, and I liked most of the twists and tension here. Not sure why I forgot to post though :p

I feel like the mangaka is strecthing the story thin in some aspects, particularly with the escape's planning but i will see how it goes

I feel like the mangaka is strecthing the story thin in some aspects, particularly with the escape's planning but i will see how it goes
well, I've mentioned it before, but I'm more concerned with what will happen after that ends. The way they'll build the outside world will be important, and I really hope they don't just time-skip right there :/

I've read first chapter and it gives out Alice in the Wonderland (not the manga) vibes, but a lot more disturbing.

It's interesting so I'll read more.

So I've read til chapter twenty and I think this could be big if it gets adapted. I like the idea of the series and it's been really good so far.

Way too shounen at times but this is a very solid manga. First half is hardcore outside world/isolated society fodder with plenty of horror and disturbing reveals. Second half is adventure, mystery and danger that will remind you of Made in Abyss. I added recs for both Made in Abyss and Godspeed and encourage others to try these out / +1 the recs if you agree. Also added this to my in progress "unique world building manga" custom list

Ch. 119,
without a doubt I'm getting a pretty big feeling that Norman is about to drop a huge plot twist about the demons. But I'm also worried about the way of thinking that Norman has adapted in order to survive. It would really suck if Norman became a villain to Emma and everybody down the line because of how he changed, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Anyway, for the fans of TPN, I discovered a new manga series with promise called The Soloist of the Prison if people want to check it out.

Ch. 119,
without a doubt I'm getting a pretty big feeling that Norman is about to drop a huge plot twist about the demons. But I'm also worried about the way of thinking that Norman has adapted in order to survive. It would really suck if Norman became a villain to Emma and everybody down the line because of how he changed, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Anyway, for the fans of TPN, I discovered a new manga series with promise called The Soloist of the Prison if people want to check it out.

Indeed, Norman seems somewhat different. But then again the guy became some kind of Che Guevara. By the way, if he would defend the extermination of the demons, I would whole-heartedly support it. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I, for one, will check it out.

Chapter 120

It was one of the best reveals I have seen in anime/manga. Quite a surprising explanation for the evolution and nature of demons. In fact, the series has become more of a science fiction than a fantasy. The demons now remind me of the homunculi in the Fullmetal Alchemist. Since the beginning, I thought those f***ing demons have to be exterminated, but I never expected them to be parasitic germs. My hatred toward those nasty viruses grew twice as bigger. Good to see that Norman shares my opinions. I hope Emma will not disagree his plan. This is a zero-sum relationship, humans and demons are natural enemies.

Chapter 121

So, everything seems normal now. I feel like there will be an objection by Emma next chapter, though.

Back