Visual Novel Discussion

Gens

Database Moderator
(*Is probably going to be the only one who uses this thread*)

Not sure if I'm expecting really much activity at all, since VNs are pretty niche, but eh, it was worth a shot.

I know a lot of people usually think of it, as just mainly crappy eroge/dating sim style/harem stuff, but I think there are definitely quite a few gems out there outside of that, that are really worth playing.

Top recommended, that I think every person should dig into these franchises and are probably the most popular:
Danganronpa
Zero Escape
Ace Attorney

I remember the first one I ever played personally and fell in love with, was Saya No Uta. (I know right? Starting with Urobutcher's most twisted, dark and graphic material) And have pretty much, sifted through, and dug, VNs since then.

This thread is

A0tHtEh.png

Now, there's a place to share the ten thousand different Nic Cage dating sims and that's a worthy enough topic for a thread if I've ever seen one. I guess you can talk about other VNs too, if you're into that sort of thing.

I find that Visual Novels often lack meaningful choices. I get that it's hard to have a story with integrity while giving over too much control to the player, but I at least need variety of choices like this:

GfQi5lb.jpg

No idea what's going on there, but piss my pants option sounds like it's really going to take me on a journey.

I remember, the first time I got killed by poison chocolates.....
John-Oliver-Fuck-You.gif

It's fun to rage though, from the random deaths.

I really have to keep playing through that game one day, as I still have yet to get all the endings. >_>;
I got killed five times, then I somehow managed to stay alive throughout the game while just blundering about without no real plan. Also, I got flowers from a lady, which is as queer as the game gets, I suspect. Haven't touched it since.

I started replaying Resident Evil 4 today, but it looks like that will be postponed in favour for the otome game version.

Man, this write up almost had me completely sold until I got the romance options. What the point if I can't romance the evil midget Salazar?

I do think Leon's got the right attitude for a Otome Game guy, though, since he spends most of the game making Ashley hide in various trashcans.

The game could possibly be funny, but man does that whole smug description make me want to slap the developers in the dicks. I think anyone would get the joke without them constantly pointing it out in the description.

Ten bucks is a bit steep for this kind of joke-y parody game, too. They probably should have made the chicks twins since they have exactly the same face anyway.

Only VN I ever played was Katawa Shoujo, which was done by a 4chan group and about dating disabled girls. It sounds horrible, but the subject matter is actually treated with a lot of respect and the girls are charming as fuck. I got with Hanako Ikezawa, the one with the burn scars, in the end because she was just so adorably shy and quirky.
ks-group-katawa-shoujo-e3-81-8b-e3-81-9f-e3-82-8f-e5-b0-91-e5-a5-b3-34455481-1920-1200.jpg
(the one with the black hat)

Oh, there was also Love Hina Advance, a visual novel-style game on the GBA about the show, but it sucked.

Back