Lostorage incited WIXOSS

So apparently I learned Mari Okada is completely uninvolved with this, I repeat, not involved with this at all.

This will still probably suck, but at least that's something and might be less edgy.

Since it has nothing to do with the previous series besides maybe a few easter eggs here and there, who knows?

You mean we might even learn how the game is played this time? It'd be a huge improvement if we just got one clear rule set for how to play the damn game and that's pretty sad because that should just be something expected from an anime trying to shill a card game.

Why do card and board games get shafted when it comes to Anime...
I watched the trailer for this on Youtube, and it basically has sparked zero interest. The only thing I can say is that it's a card game, so, maybe? Hopefully someone will watch this and I'll be able to see thoughts.

You mean we might even learn how the game is played this time? It'd be a huge improvement if we just got one clear rule set for how to play the damn game and that's pretty sad because that should just be something expected from an anime trying to shill a card game.

When I was watching the original series, I eventually found out that WIXOSS is a real card game in Japan. And, seeing as the Anime didn't bother to address the rules, I set out to see if there was a Wiki on it or anything. I was reading through the rules but they seemed overly complicated and just unnecessarily that at some point I was like, "You know what, this isn't even important because it's not like the show is going out of it's way to acknowledge there are any rules or hold the players to the standards of the game." And just stopped reading about them.

The official WIXOSS website has a picture story show of the rules, and someone translated it here.

Why do card and board games get shafted when it comes to Anime...
I watched the trailer for this on Youtube, and it basically has sparked zero interest. The only thing I can say is that it's a card game, so, maybe? Hopefully someone will watch this and I'll be able to see thoughts.

When I was watching the original series, I eventually found out that WIXOSS is a real card game in Japan. And, seeing as the Anime didn't bother to address the rules, I set out to see if there was a Wiki on it or anything. I was reading through the rules but they seemed overly complicated and just unnecessarily that at some point I was like, "You know what, this isn't even important because it's not like the show is going out of it's way to acknowledge there are any rules or hold the players to the standards of the game." And just stopped reading about them.

The official WIXOSS website has a picture story show of the rules, and someone translated it here.

I think the game was released/introduced right alongside the first anime, so I'd imagine everyone was confused about how it actually worked.

... I actually liked the first season of the show, and although I didn't like the 2nd season nearly as much, I sorta enjoyed it. I was a bit dissapointed it didn't turn into some sort of "Madoka Magica: The Trading Card Game" type of anime that it seemed to be leaning towards, but I guess they tried. Same premise with a better writer would have been nice.

I won't be bothering with this one though.

Last edited:
Went ahead and checked this out because I saw some people mention that the series was a bit darker than the original.
In terms of setting and circumstances, I would say it's definitely darker. We've lost the pretense for wishes and magical girls, bringing in both genders into the fold and more or less betting one's existence on the game.

I'd say the general concept of this series is more interesting than the original, but we still haven't gotten much information in regards to the actual game. In fact, they've added some other aspects that they didn't bother to explain once again. So, I find it unlikely that we'll get any more information about the game than we had gotten from the previous series.

I can't say I cared much about the characters in the previous series, but the same pretty much goes for this series too. The main seems a little more bearable and down to earth, but I guess time will tell. So, I guess i'll stick with this and see how it goes.

1:

Well, for starters, you don't need to have seen the previous WIXOSS anime to follow this one since the two seem to have very different different story mechanics without any characters or much plot points carrying over.

The LRIGs this time around seem to come from the memories of the Selectors, which is a huge enough departure on its own. This wasn't a good episode at all though. The whole set-up feels way too one-sided against the Selectors without any promise of a benefit for them, and the penalty is simply just vanishing as opposed to having something important taken away. Infected/Spread had a ton of issues to begin with, but they were grappling at more interesting ideas premise-wise.

The actual card game itself was sort of lame too. You'd think a card game series with a beginner MC would at least allow for some explanation as to how the game is played. There was a bit of that here, but it didn't seem to matter considering how the game played out. You know a card game has severe balance issues when a newbie can pull an OTK like that.

Man I know I'm going to end up watching this just because I've watched the first two seasons, but the above posts really make me cringe. I was hoping they'd try to go less dark with it this time not more. This sounds like it's going to go straight up grimderp.

The LRIGs this time around seem to come from the memories of the Selectors, which is a huge enough departure on its own. This wasn't a good episode at all though. The whole set-up feels way too one-sided against the Selectors without any promise of a benefit for them, and the penalty is simply just vanishing as opposed to having something important taken away. Infected/Spread had a ton of issues to begin with, but they were grappling at more interesting ideas premise-wise.

Well, they didn't bother to fully explain the premise, and considering how the original series made a huge deal about confronting the creator of the LRIG system, we may not even know why people are chosen this time until the finale. Although, I hope we get some answers sooner than that... I don't know if I'd be able to handle another 2-cour. I'm hoping this one wraps up in one.

But, I'm not a fan of the general Magical Girl setup in general anyway, so I prefer this premise over the last series. I felt like they relied too much on "she's a Magical Girl, so she can do anything." That, I presume, is mostly why Ruko rose to the top of the Selectors and was able to win at WIXOSS even though she basically had no prior experience with the game, nor did she ever really practice. Which I never really liked.

We're only at Episode 1 though, at most I'd say this I have more faith in the potential for this series, than I do for the original. So far, however, they are pretty much on par with one another in ratings for me.

The actual card game itself was sort of lame too. You'd think a card game series with a beginner MC would at least allow for some explanation as to how the game is played. There was a bit of that here, but it didn't seem to matter considering how the game played out. You know a card game has severe balance issues when a newbie can pull an OTK like that.[/spoiler]

In it's defense, they didn't bother to explain the game itself in the last series either, and Ruko basically won because the plot needed her to, which is what is happening here as well. I mean, giving the MC one chance to win in a game that they've never played, let alone heard of... Not to mention she had basically given up trying to read the rules the night before because there were "so many." That shows that they don't care about having her win through skill, they just want to push the plot with main character immunity. So, that in itself is probably going to be something frustrating to have to sit through.

Omitting the Anime, one of the great things about Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist was that they explained the rules in-between chapters of the Manga on what would otherwise be blank pages, and at the end of the tankobon had a list of various cards used through the chapters. I wish we had more of that in these card games.

2:

I can't imagine what sort of special ability would be horrifying enough to hesitate to use when betting your own soul like that.

Episode 2
I'm not really a fan of the MC to be honest, and the supporting character is ehh..Although the fight with the little kid was sorta funny, I'm not really sure if I'll stick with it. (Probably will, glutton for punishment am I)

Well, I'm incredibly disappointed that the reward for "winning" is memory alteration. How is that even a prize? Just because you forget something or suddenly believe something happened, doesn't make the reality any different. At least in the original you could wish for something. I guarantee Chinatsu could use money over forgetting that time she flipped out on her friend, it's not like erasing a bad memory will change the result.

In regards to Chinatsu, she said she didn't want to control someone. Berserk was the name of her ability, I presume it's like a debuff that limits the actions you can take. Like how in like Final Fantasy Tactics you can't do special moves and such, and you can't even control your movement. You are just forced to the closest enemy and swing wildly. So it eliminates "tactics" from the fold. So you don't necessarily have to deal with counters or anything, just dodge direct attacks.

That being said, how the fuck can you have such an OP ability, 3 coins, and still lose twice? That's just foolhardy. Anyway, the end of this episode seemed a little more promising, at least in terms of growth for Chinatsu's character. She could become a fairly interesting antagonist.

I would venture to say this episode was a step up from the first one, but all in all, this series is still pretty lacking.

Well, I'm incredibly disappointed that the reward for "winning" is memory alteration. How is that even a prize? Just because you forget something or suddenly believe something happened, doesn't make the reality any different. At least in the original you could wish for something. I guarantee Chinatsu could use money over forgetting that time she flipped out on her friend, it's not like erasing a bad memory will change the result.

In regards to Chinatsu, she said she didn't want to control someone. Berserk was the name of her ability, I presume it's like a debuff that limits the actions you can take. Like how in like Final Fantasy Tactics you can't do special moves and such, and you can't even control your movement. You are just forced to the closest enemy and swing wildly. So it eliminates "tactics" from the fold. So you don't necessarily have to deal with counters or anything, just dodge direct attacks.

That being said, how the fuck can you have such an OP ability, 3 coins, and still lose twice? That's just foolhardy. Anyway, the end of this episode seemed a little more promising, at least in terms of growth for Chinatsu's character. She could become a fairly interesting antagonist.

I would venture to say this episode was a step up from the first one, but all in all, this series is still pretty lacking.
Well, that sounds like a perfect ability for this series. At least there would be an in-text reason for why matches can possibly end so quickly, even if all you did for the whole game was take a lickin'.

3:

9B6zlSO.png

I misread this for a moment >_>

qLCwSCT.png

So you mean to tell me Suzuko's coin bet ability is one of the most annoying hand-traps in the game of Yu Gi Oh!?

Also that's not even a twist. It stands to reason that a person would lose their personality along with their memories. What else is a personality besides the end result of culminating past experiences?

So you mean to tell me Suzuko's coin bet ability is one of the most annoying op hand-traps in the game of Yu Gi Oh!?

Fixed.
Honest is a beast, I used to run it with a Battery deck when I played. I even recreated the deck in Legacy of the Duelist on the PS4.

If nothing else, this game is making me want to play a card game. I'm mad too because it specifically makes me want to play Magic the Gathering, and PS4 was supposed to get Magic Duels: Origins at some point, but from what I can tell it got axed... although PC and Xbox seem to still have it.

QURARE Magic Library has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment in the card game department... and I've pretty much exhausted Legacy of the Duelist. PS4 is lacking in Card Battle Games.

Two battles that I didn't really care about... Suzuko's power is pretty dumb, but I guess when it comes to card games it's pretty helpful. Since you can probe your opponent for their strategy, see their cards, and break through traps like what she did in this episode.

Really, if you think about it, losing your personality isn't that bad. I mean, depending on what memory you erase, presuming you win, you could end up in a similar situation. This isn't as bad as it was in the previous series where you lost your body and became someone's LRIG.

Anyway, from the PV it looks like Suzuko will find out that Chi is a Selector. That... has... promise...?

4:

So the LRIGs become body-snatchers whenever their Selector loses. There was a similar twist in Infected/Spread but the context here is more sinister as it doesn't happen to the best Selector, but to all the losers (and getting one's as handed to them is sonething anyone can do as opposed to becoming the Eternal Girl). That and they just stop existing instead of becoming LRIGs themselves. The fact that boys can be Selectors makes things pretty awkward too since they can have their bodies taken over by a female soul. Maybe that's what this Satomi guy is? A former LRIG in someone else's body. Maybe that's where his homoerotic undertones come from?

If anything, this series is an even worse card game promotion than it's predecessor. "Play our card game and have your life thrown into disarray and misery before possibly being snuffed out of existance and replaced with a moe version of yourself" is a pretty ill-advised tag-line.

Also, that dude's coin bet ability sucks balls since it doesn't change anything about the game itself into his favor. It just seems annoying as hell.

Hanna is getting on my fucking nerves with her way of talking... although she seemed to have suggested that when you lose your body is taken over by the LRIG, just like in the original series. That would make sense, but I feel like it's weird to hold back that information. At this point we can't know for sure, even though we've seen people lose battles.

Not a fan of this bookmaker guy either, he's like a less interesting Itsuki from Yu Yu Hakusho. Especially since he's not even a Selector. I guess the best just desserts would be that he becomes one in the end. They could even activate the card:
latest

This guy, whose name escapes me, is really annoying. He's various sexual innuendoes are disappointing at best. The only solace I can take from it, is that he will lose and his terrible personality will be gone forever.

...Wow, his power is dumb as shit too. It doesn't really give any tactical advantage. I guess, arguably, it could distract the player from performing their best. But, that would be a stretch since they introduced him as having lost his previous match and he's sitting on one coin, desperate as fuck. So, how helpful has it really been?

His losing at least confirms the LRIG possession aspect. So, the rules of this game are essentially the same as the rules of the previous seasons game. Seeing as "losing your personality" essentially translates to "being taken over by your LRIG." I have to wonder if the wish; "replacing/altering any memory" isn't necessarily that. Maybe the translations are being vague, and perhaps winning lets the Selector get a wish? Just like in the previous season.

Otherwise, the drama between Suzuko and Chinatsu seems pretty forced at this point...

Sasuke Chinatsu over here wanting to break her bonds for strength.
She's getting on my nerves too, her new attitude is super annoying.

I feel like lately, there have been more and more anime and characters with the theme of not fighting. What happened to friendly rivalry? Suzuko's lack of determination is really annoying too. I don't think there is a single character in this show I can appreciate.

Not much to say about this episode. Seems like we're 5 episodes in and every episode has more or less been the same.

5:

Not buying Chinatsu's edginess. I don't really see what she stands to gain from treating Suzuko like that. She's just being a bitch all of a sudden. What was it about their relationship that held her back? Any specific events? And they haven't seen each other in ten years so why assume that things would be exactly the same between them as before?

Back