Unpopular Anime Opinions

As much as I love Mugen and Jin, I think Fuu is my favorite character of Samurai Champloo.

I'm actually wondering this as well... no offence but to me Fuu seems like the traditional brain dead female they stick in a lot of male main character anime/manga. Except she maybe has a bit more spunk than some. Well, there is also the fact that she has no issues with eating until she's too fat to walk correctly. That might not be a good thing for some people, however, it is at least unique for her character type.

I'm curious what you see in her honestly though, Despite what I have thought of her. Maybe there's something I missed about her persona. I don't hate her character or anything. I just don't particularly like her.

If I had to pick a favorite out of the characters it would have been Jin. Nearly every fan I've come across both Male and Female is a Mugen fan but I'm sure there are more Jin fans than Fuu ones. So I'd say your opinion is good as an Unpopular Opinion.

On a side note: As far as the rest of the anime is concerned. I'm not a huge fan. The only parts I really enjoyed was the first episode (the part where the building burn't down was super funny), The part about Jin and the prostitute, the part about Mugen's previous friends trying to get over on him and the only other parts I liked were some of the swordfights by themselves and the music. I've only seen it all the way though once. Though I've seen the first episode multiple times.

With the Danganronpa 3 anime airing, I am reminded of how much I cannot stand Nagito.
I mean, I hate Hiyoko too but at least Hiyoko is a complete jackass. Nagito is just ungodly annoying.

UAO: Aoi Hana is one of the worst Shoujo-Ai shows out there. And yet when I see it discussed, people treat it like it's so damn great. The eventual end couple had zero chemistry, and Glasses was the whiniest damn shoujo-ai protagonist since the chick from Octave.

Last edited:
UAO: I wish there were more fat main characters in anime... I hate constantly seeing the same generic scrawny guys in the lead role. People complain about Haruyuki from Accel World, but I'll take him over most of the typical cookie cutter characters we get...

Oh, if only I could get a reverse harem series that featured at last one chubby guy...

I think kimi ni todoke is a pretty overrated show. I don't find it terrible or anything though, just mostly boring.

UAO: Aoi Hana is one of the worst Shoujo-Ai shows out there. And yet when I see it discussed, people treat it like it's so damn great. The eventual end couple had zero chemistry, and Glasses was the whiniest damn shoujo-ai protagonist since the chick from Octave.
I don't agree with you because I love Aoi Hana, but I think barely anyone on AP actually likes the show.

UAO: I wish there were more fat main characters in anime... I hate constantly seeing the same generic scrawny guys in the lead role. People complain about Haruyuki from Accel World, but I'll take him over most of the typical cookie cutter characters we get...

Oh, if only I could get a reverse harem series that featured at last one chubby guy...
Putting aside the idealization/self-insert elements of a show, it probably in large part has to do with Japan's very low obesity rate. It's like, 3% or something, compared to western countries where it can be well over 30-40%. And that is even with their very low technical standard for what is fat or not.
Add to that how a lot of those who are fat are old people, and you end up with few finding it ideal for a main character, and it also becomes a hard to write such a character without their weight being a major factor of their character, be they a regular high school student or superpowered samurai dude.

This is even more so for female characters, even minor ones, though I was surprised by "Nikuko" from Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan. A fat character not treated like a joke or terrible person.

Last edited:
I don't think Attack on Titan is as great as a lot of people say it is. Granted the animation is pretty good and the characters aren't unlikable but the story really kills it for me. The first half is alright but after episode 13, the whole thing goes down hill with the rest of the episodes amounting to very little plot development. The main characters are, for the most part, pretty static and their character development maybe moves about an inch by the series's end.

There's also the fact that the "anyone can die" tone is immediately thrown out the window when you realize most of the characters who are shown dying are either nameless background characters or if they are named, they get maybe 10 lines before they're killed off

Plus there was that one time I tired to talk about anime with someone in the real world. The conversation started off okay, but then he said the One Piece manga was boring compared to the anime and that it sucked he couldn't catch up because he only watched the dub because subbed anime is terrible. I've never wanted to find out where someone lived and burn down their house as bad as I did that day.

Plus there was that one time I tired to talk about anime with someone in the real world. The conversation started off okay, but then he said the One Piece manga was boring compared to the anime and that it sucked he couldn't catch up because he only watched the dub because subbed anime is terrible. I've never wanted to find out where someone lived and burn down their house as bad as I did that day.
I had a similar experience with a friend who dropped Utena because it was "generic highschool shit".

lol, @Ailly had the same face when I told her I didn't like 5 cm per second :p

Back