My Hero Academia

chii

My Hero Academia
Alt title: Boku no Hero Academia

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

this one seems popular but i'm not too sure why. seems like a standard superhero story to me except they make it worse by adding in school.....

Ma boiiii!! Very hyped for this, even if it's a bad adaptation (which doesn't seem to be the case) this will still be a blast. My favourite superhero story out. Get ready for some smashing people.

Episode 1

Holy shit I am so happy right now, I could not have asked for any more. All the VAs fit very well, better than I thought they would. Great animation, OST and a faithful adaptation. Now I'm even more frustrated this is only going to be 1 cour because it will be amazing! It will take a few more episodes for this to reach true awesomeness due to slow pacing at the start, but I think I can already say this will be my AOTS. Onya Bones!

Episode 1
I'm surprised by the pacing. This actually only animated half of the debut chapter, and the next episode will be the other half. And I have to wonder if this will be indicative of the rest of the series' pacing, because that could mean something close to a 1 chapter = 1 ep pace, which extremely few series are able to do without ridiculous pace lag and filler.
Nah, it probably won't be indicative. The 2 chapters = 1 episode standard for WSJ adaptations will probably start at least after episode 2.
I hear rumors it will actually be 1-cour, which would actually please me. The further away from the chapter limit the series is, the smaller the chance of Bones doing something retarded will be.

As for the episode itself
Really well done, though I'm a bit buttmad that they cut out what Midoriya's face actually looks like when All Might punches away the sludge villain.
buttmad.png
Cutting out the goofy-ass expressions of this series is a huge nono! The character art is truly one of the things that make the series stand out!

The animation is what I was expecting from Bones, and the chosen pace of the episode was indeed pretty great. Adapting the entire chapter would have prevented the episode entirely from breathing.
So yes, looking forward to more, and to seeing more characters make their debuts.

*Edit*
Mount Lady's VA voicing two characters in this show? Huh.
Also, it is probably not a coincidence that the VA of kid-Bakugou is the same VA who voiced kid-Rin in Blue Exorcist.

Last edited:
Ep1

I was very pleased with that first episode. Glad to see they didn't rush through the first chapter. I am sad they cut that one face gag too, but they handled that scene with All Might and Deku really well it didn't bother me too much.

Animations looking good, I was interested how they were going to shade All-Might but it's about what I expected. The soundtrack so far is pretty good and looking forward to hearing more of it.

If this is only one-cour I'll be a bit disappointed though since I feel there is enough for 2 without running out of source material. Though if they did that I guess they would have to risk leaving off on a cliff hanger.

Episode 01

I was a bit bored with the pacing of this and considered dropping it early, but I'll stick with it because of promises that the manga is good. As for the protagonist,

I'm sure he actually has some sort of power, but he's just not aware of it. The only thing that kept this episode interesting for me was entertaining the thought that perhaps, just maybe, All Might is his power, somehow. However, All Might seems to be some dude who grows muscle or something judging by that convenience store scene where he transformed.

But I'm still gonna be watching this guy like a hawk - I'm on to you. :pokerface:

well my cuz got me to pick up the manga.

I abruptly dropped it after very long and boring 1st chapter.......If it gets good, it's probably not chap 1 - ep 1

I'll give it another shot sense anime is easier to digest than manga, especially manga with like 50 pages per chapter.

Episode 2

So...what I got from this episode is this
This MC guy is just a hunk of useless nothing and he'll go around saving people somehow through the power of friendship.

If that's the case I'd rather drop this now because I don't think I can handle that...disappointment.

Episode 2

This MC guy is just a hunk of useless nothing and he'll go around saving people somehow through the power of friendship.

If that's the case I'd rather drop this now because I don't think I can handle that...disappointment.

Not quite sure how you came to that conclusion seeing as he didn't even save anyone. He tried to and in turn only made the situation more dangerous then it started by possibly adding another casualty. It was more to show how his actions were able to trigger some type of inspiration in a real hero. I don't even see where "power of friendship" was even involved.

I wouldn't judge the show too much now. In the first few chapters the manga gave off a completely different impression than what it's become. I can certainly understand people thinking it's lame and boring atm, but it hasn't really shown anything yet. I'm not sure how the pacing will go but you'll see what I mean if you stick with it by like the 4th or 5th episode probably.

Episode 02

This was so much better than the first episode. The last scene sold me.

Multiple times through this I got a little emotional. Not completely sold on the protagonist, but I'm guessing he will get better with time.

But when are we getting to this academy? Next episode seems to be a training montage. :pokerface:

I'm excited for the action.

well my cuz got me to pick up the manga.

I abruptly dropped it after very long and boring 1st chapter.......If it gets good, it's probably not chap 1 - ep 1

I'll give it another shot sense anime is easier to digest than manga, especially manga with like 50 pages per chapter.

it's only 50 pages for the first chapter, it happens a lot that "pilot" chapters are longer

Episode 2

Not even close.

Episode 02

This was so much better than the first episode. The last scene sold me.

Episode 1 and 2 are both of the same debut chapter, so it's only natural that ep 2 would be better since it's the emotional climax of all the previous buildup.
This is why it's kind of a shame that there couldn't be some sort of scheduling magic that would let the episodes air back to back.
-----------------------------------------------

Ep 2
Yup, this was great. Though again, it's kind of a shame it wasn't possible for this and the previous episode to be just one big one.
The voice acting is great, the animation is great, the colors are superb, and the emotional backbone of the series was delivered pretty much perfectly!
It's pretty clear that this show is probably going to keep a rather steady pacing. No rushing. With a pacing like this they could easily keep coming with two one-cour seasons a year for quite some time.

I really freaking dislike the ep preview monologue thing, though. Does it think that only manga readers are watching the show or something?
------------------------

I really love Horikoshi's(the author) twitter sketches.

Right before ep 1

"It is coming soon! Fun."

Right after ep 1

"It is 30 minutes after the after, I'm happy!"

Before ep 2

After ep 2

"It was really good."

Episode 1 and 2 are both of the same debut chapter, so it's only natural that ep 2 would be better since it's the emotional climax of all the previous buildup.
This is why it's kind of a shame that there couldn't be some sort of scheduling magic that would let the episodes air back to back.

Yeah, I could see that definitely working in this anime's favor if we got a double episode feature or combined them into a double length debut. We would also be closer to getting to this Academy. While it is a shame they didn't go that direction, at least they didn't decide to screw up the pacing by fitting everything into one episode, rather than two.

So from the pacing of the last episode, people are reckoning this will only cover 21 chapters from the manga +/- a few. That's quite slow pacing, they probably could have made 5 cours at this rate. Hopefully it means they have a big future planned for this series, because I'd imagine it would be harder to make the pacing as slow as it is when if they just adapted panel by panel it would cover much more.

Back