Anime-Planet - Monthly Marathon Club

chii

Monthly-Marathon-Logo-Full-e1289157498441.png

Welcome to the Monthly Marathon Club! All members of Anime-Planet are welcome to get together and marathon anime and read manga from a specific themed selection so we can discuss, review, and make recommendations together once a month.

~Leader~

chii (PM)

~Helpers~

Sianeka (PM)

Bestanimeserie (PM)

How it Works: Once each month (dates may vary from month to month), the marathon will receive its own thread in the club section. Choose some anime from the list provided and watch it all. Then just post how many episodes/chapters you watched/read in total in the thread provided. Make sure you put COMPLETED LIST at the top of your post or it might not be counted. Episodes watched will go towards a point system. Counting will go as follows:
1 Episode = 1 point
1 Volume = 1 point
1 One Shot = 1 Point
1 OVA = 2 points
1 Movie = 3 points

Recommendation = 1 point
Short User Review = 2 points
Full User Review = 5 points
Bonus 5 points if you completely finish a series

Note: No matter how many episodes the OVA has it still counts as 2 points. If there are exceptions you will be told in the MM thread for that month.
Note: The Bonus 5 points for shows longer than 25-26 episodes will get 5 points per 25 episodes watched.

Counting will go as follows for Catch Up events:
11 episode series = 1 point
12 episode series = 2 points
13 episode series = 3 points
24-25 episode series = 4 points
26-49 episode series = 5 points
50-52 episode series = 8 points
53+ episode series = 10 points

Recommendation = 1 point
Short User Review = 2 points
Full User Review = 5 points

Prizes for doing a Monthly Marathon:
  1. One lucky person with the most Points will get a BADGE to go on your AP profile! If you wish to have a banner made for the forums just make a request in this thread so action can be took
  2. Company while you marathon the shows with fellow Anime-Planet members
  3. Hours of anime added to your watched list
  4. Knowing you have helped out the site by adding more content to it
  5. TACO Points for TACO members
Recommendations: Please add Recommendations for these series once you've watched them! Every single recommendation made helps out the thousands of people who use the database each month to find new stuff to watch. Everyone who participates in this Monthly Marathon should add recommendations for other series they think a person would like, if they can think of any.

User Reviews: User reviews don't have to be many paragraphs, or even have good English. They can be as little as a single paragraph just to explain what you thought of the series and any extra tips for the reader. The longer and more detailed the better, of course.

When you participate around the site, you can be awarded TACO points! Members are given points based on the number of Recommendations, Reviews, Donations, and Custom lists . To claim points for Monthly Marathons just post your COMPLETED LIST post that contains at least 5 recs or 1 review in the Official TACO Thread.

Anime-Planet - Monthly Marathon Club Contributions
[75 Points] for participating in the Anime-Planet - Monthly Marathon Club.
Rules!
  • clearly label your contributions as a club event (MM, FYAB, DTAB, etc.)
  • you need to make at least 5 recommendations or write a review (choose whichever you prefer) for the series that are a part of the event at that time.
  • recommendations must be made within 3 days of the end of the event
  • you must be at least somewhat active/present during the club events
  • provide a link to the event/thread to confirm eligibility
  • BUT if you didn't participate in the event (because you had already seen the titles, etc), if you hadn't made recommendations already for that series you can add them in the same time frame to get the points. *note: if you delete and re-add recommendations you'll be disqualified and Sothis wont be happy ;)
  • as always, please only make recommendations for SOLID pairings. Don't add bad recs just because you want the points, as that wastes valuable time (for Sothis, who has to struggle with deciding to flag something or not)

Previous ~Winners~:

• ludithor - Christmas - December 2009
    2009-Christmas-marathon-winner.jpg
  • Otaku108 - Catch Up with FALL - January 2010
    Catch-Up-Fall.jpg
  • Eaper - Valentines - February 2010
    MM-Valentien.jpg
  • MwrulesC - Cults March 2010
    mmbann.jpg
  • AirCommodore - Catch Up with WINTER - April 2010
    Catch-Up-Winter.jpg
  • ludithor - Manly/Mecha MAY-HEM! - May 2010
    MM-Manly.jpg
  • cbsgoju - School's Out! - June 2010
  • SabakunoYana - Catch up with SPRING! - July 2010
  • Marius2000 - Iron Man Summer Special - August 2010
  • Marius2000 - Satoshi Kon - September 2010
  • scizorg45 - Catch up with SUMMER! - October 2010
    Catch-Up-Summer.jpg
  • Raspberries - At War with Halloween - November 2010
  • wolfangel87 - Christmas Time Old School - December 2010

• scizorg45 - Catch Up with FALL - January 2011
  • Sinner666 - Love conquers ALL - February 2011
  • Kogoruhn - Shounen/Shoujo Challenge - March 2011
  • Kittyemperor - Catch Up with WINTER - April 2011
  • wolfangel87 - Animals May 2011
  • Kogoruhn - MADHOUSE June 2011
  • jypsyjulia - Catch up with SPRING July 2011
  • DrOrpheus - Toei Animation Summer End Special August 2011
  • Kogoruhn - Toei Animation Summer End Special September 2011
  • Thrawn - Quicky: Popee Edition! September 2011
  • hamletsmage - Catch up with SUMMER October 2011
  • Kogoruhn - So Many Relations November 2011
  • ajnrules - A Very Ghibli Christmas December 2011

• scizorg45 - Catch up with FALL January 2012
  • MwrulesC - Love conquers ALL! Pt 2! February 2012
  • YamiRin - Mystery Solvers March 2012
  • YamiRin - Catch up with WINTER! April 2012
  • MwrulesC - Music May 2012
  • gos100 - Yaoi or Yuri June 2012
  • Funari - Catch up with SPRING! July 2012
  • MwrulesC - Sunrise Summer End Special August 2012
  • HikaruTenshi - Sunrise Summer End Special September 2012
  • Aranneas - Catch up with SUMMER! October 2012
  • Thrawn - At War with Halloween November 2012
  • NONE - December 2012 SPECIAL SECRET SANTA EVENT

• mmag13 - Catch up with FALL January 2013
  • mmag13 - Love conquers ALL! Pt 3! February 2013
  • Thrawn - 1000 Watched and Under March 2013
  • mmag13 - Catch up with WINTER! April 2013
  • MwrulesC - Movie May 2013
  • Sianeka - Movie June 2013
  • Bestanimeserie - Catch up with SPRING! July 2013
  • HikaruTenshi - Movie August 2013
  • HikaruTenshi - Movie September 2013
  • Thrawn - Catch up with SUMMER! October 2013
  • MwrulesC - At War with Halloween November 2013
  • NONE - December 2013 SPECIAL SECRET SANTA EVENT

• Thrawn - Catch up with FALL! January 2014
  • greyweather - Love conquers ALL! Pt 4! February 2014
  • NONE - Sports March 2014
  • KeiNiwa - Catch up with WINTER! April 2014
  • AngelBeatsYui - Movie May 2014
  • Anudevil13 - Movie June 2014
  • AngelBeatsYui - Catch up with SPRING! July 2014
  • AngelBeatsYui - Movie August 2014
  • Ailly - Movie September 2014
  • NickNames - OVA October 2014 (should have been a catch up with summer event)
  • lindapearl - Horror November 2014
  • NONE - December 2014 SPECIAL SECRET SANTA EVENT

• LadyPsychic - Catch up with FALL! January 2015
  • Sianeka - Love conquers ALL! Pt 5! February 2015
  • AngelBeatsYui - Supernatural March 2015
  • AngelBeatsYui - Catch up with WINTER! April 2015
  • PeKee - Let's go on a adventure! May 2015
  • PeKee - It's mecha & Sci-Fi time! June 2015
  • LLORAtheLLAMA - Catch up with SPRING! July 2015
  • MwrulesC - Last week of Summer! August 2015
  • LadyPsychic - Story Time! October - September 2015
  • LadyPsychic - Catch up with SUMMER! October 2015
  • NONE - November 2015
  • NONE - December 2015 SPECIAL SECRET SANTA EVENT

• cbsgoju - Catch up with FALL! January 2016
  • casandra29 - Love conquers ALL! Pt 6! February 2016
  • XMrNiceguyX - Magical Girl March 2016
  • hamletsmage - Catch up with WINTER! April 2016
  • cbsgoju & LadyPsychic - 60s-70s May 2016
  • hamletsmage - Quicky: Popee Edition! June 2016
  • - Catch up with SPRING! July 2016
  • - August 2016
  • - September 2016
  • - Catch up with SUMMER! October 2016
  • - November 2016
  • NONE - December 2016 SPECIAL SECRET SANTA EVENT

Previous Secret Santa Participants:
IssacandAsimov
Tolle
MrBlank
DeathlyForce
Shinmaru
NicoNicoDesu
Madoka
HasseRovdjur
diogork
ScrumpyJunior
SoryouRei
SFAhnYS (AhnYS)
kargarus
Jensling
Nicknames
LizardLaw974
Thrawn
daleheart
Bronia
GodzillaGus
Fargo (FusionXD)
RisikaFox
Deimosion
Shiyobu
Kari5
Ailly
chii
JoeAnimated
Aranneas

YamiRin
Etue
Taekwondoin
HasseRovdjur
JohnWatchAnime
Nicknames
Niko
Bestanimeserie
Rifunger
Thrawn
atsinganoi
Kari5
MrAnime
chii
Sianeka
Bronia
MwrulesC
RisikaFox
GodzillaGus

Sianeka
Bestanimeserie
LadyPsychic
Bradalee
Aranneas
Mokonaa
CommanderKarasu
starsmine
8MangaMan
lindapearl
Bacon41
TheDamned
Jensling
Nicknames
JohnWatchAnime
KeiNiwa
Ailly
HasseRovdjur
AngryJellyfish
Syokun
Etue
AngelBeatsYui
hellhammer6789
chii
Jackoeb
GodzillaGus
Starletka
MwrulesC
KuroBladez
Thrawn
kamiikazeheart
RodRule

Taekwondoin
pkmnmaster88
XMrNiceguyX
Etue
AngryJellyfish
SpanglishJC
Shinayda
LadyPsychic
HasseRovdjur
AngelBeatsYui
thor123
cbsgoju
saiyamar
chii
Starletka
Nicknames
TheDamned
Thrawn
Niko

If you have any ideas for marathon themes or questions, don't hesitate to post in this thread and someone will answer. :happy:

Last edited:
CURRENT MARATHON THREAD
Catch Up With SUMMER!
LINK

Marathon Suggestion Ideas!!
stuff in here is fun! :happy:
Historical
noitaminA
60s/70s
80s
1000 Watched and Under
Movies
TV shows that are OVAs/WEB
Shounen vs Shoujo
Mature Themes
Studio ____
Year ____
Exactly 50 episode TV shows
Top 100 Shows on AP

Last edited:
dang I missed feb's :crying: (I don't check the forms often). Have you ever thought about putting some notice on the home page? I go there dailyish and a lot of people would see it (and hopefully join in too).

dang I missed feb's :crying: (I don't check the forms often). Have you ever thought about putting some notice on the home page? I go there dailyish and a lot of people would see it (and hopefully join in too).
I missed this year's Secret Santa because I didn't see the notice until too late. I wish I had a way to notify myself or remind myself to check earlier so I can participate for certain!

I also missed the February event, which makes me sad, but I knew I was going to be too busy this year during the event period...

Looking forward to seeing if there is going to be a Lucky anime or other March marathon event coming up...

I missed this year's Secret Santa because I didn't see the notice until too late. I wish I had a way to notify myself or remind myself to check earlier so I can participate for certain!

I also missed the February event, which makes me sad, but I knew I was going to be too busy this year during the event period...

Looking forward to seeing if there is going to be a Lucky anime or other March marathon event coming up...

well hopefully when the site integrates the forum it will be much more convenient. I think a lot of people would be interested in doing it (plus it helps with recs and reviews), if it was advertised more. There are downsides to it being too big though, so I am pretty sure Chii knows what she is doing.

It seems not many people are making suggestions so here's one...I suggest a Historical anime marathon for one of the monthly marathons. I think that would be lots of fun and there are tons of anime and manga in those tags to choose from.

In my opinion 70's and 80's is fine. I cannot handle anything before 1985 for anime but that still leaves 5 years leeway and as for manga, some of my all time favorite manga come from the 80's, I'm sure I could find some good 70's ones too. So I'd be cool with this as a marathon as well.

70's & 80's sounds like a cool idea for a marathon. That said, I suggest that if you do go with that idea, you should make the marathon last a week instead four days. Why? Because most 70's & 80's series (with the exception of OVAs and movies) tend to be long. As in, there aren't as many 1 cour anime in the 70's/80's as there are in the modern era. While there may be some people who might be able to squeeze a 3 or 4 cour series in 4 days, most people (such as myself) cannot do that. Extending the marathon to a week will even the playing field.

70's & 80's sounds like a cool idea for a marathon. That said, I suggest that if you do go with that idea, you should make the marathon last a week instead four days. Why? Because most 70's & 80's series (with the exception of OVAs and movies) tend to be long. As in, there aren't as many 1 cour anime in the 70's/80's as there are in the modern era. While there may be some people who might be able to squeeze a 3 or 4 cour series in 4 days, most people (such as myself) cannot do that. Extending the marathon to a week will even the playing field.

Do you read manga? There are some long ones to be sure, but there are tons of shorter manga that are 70's and 80's by that I mean less than 10 volumes.

Also if we did this, we'd have to decide if we would only allow anime or manga that was started and finished in the 70's and 80's or if we would also allow ones that may have started in the 60's but continued into the 70's or started in the 80's but continued into the 90's.

Also if we did this, we'd have to decide if we would only allow anime or manga that was started and finished in the 70's and 80's or if we would also allow ones that may have started in the 60's but continued into the 70's or started in the 80's but continued into the 90's.

For simplicity's sake I think anything that started between the 70s or 80 should be picked regardless of whether they finished in the same time period or not. Same for those that started earlier but finished in the aforementioned time period.

Back to the main topic, what about a LGBT-oriented marathon? We haven't had one so far and it could be nice. I think it should include anime with the Shounen-ai, Shoujo-ai, Yaoi, Yuri or LGBT Themes.

NOTE to everyone: When you post a TACO contribution (for the Marathon or for Secret Santa, for example) and you "clearly label your contributions as a club event (MM, FYAB, DTAB, etc.)" PLEASE put this note at the very bottom of your review/rec and NOT at the very top as the first line.

Reason is: the first line shows up on other pages that show the review/rec and it's best if the first line (and therefore displayed section) is actually a part of the review/rec and not a statement of group participation. While recognizing and promoting participation here is a good thing, *grin* it doesn't belong on some pages where the reviews/recs are displayed and people want to read the actual review/rec. portion.

Another note: if you've ALREADY posted a review/rec with it in the first line, could you please revise that, so that the participation note is now at the bottom?

Last edited:
Um..... is there going to be a marathon this month? Just wondering (after all, over half the month has passed and there has been no announcements).

yeah there's going to be a double aug/sept one that I'll get up later tonight hopefully

Aug 24 - Sept 7

2 winners

Theme.... Shounen vs Shoujo!

seems like the winners list needs an update for these?
  • - Catch up with SPRING! July 2016
  • - August 2016
  • - September 2016

Back