Unpopular Anime Opinions

ZetsubouKaiji

We've all got at least one popular anime that everyone else seems to love and you just have no idea why. This thread is for venting that frustration. It doesn't have to be about an anime as a whole maybe there's a super popular character you can't stand or some other praised element that you just don't care for.

Obviously, this is a thread for venting on anime so please don't jump all over someone because they are hating on something you love. The thread is called unpopular opinion for a reason, discussion is obvious encouraged, but this is not the place to try to convince someone that Moe Girls Moe Festival is actually some super deep commentary and they should love it.

==============================================================

Anyway to kick things off I'm going to be very boring and restate my utter disdain for Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works, but I think this can actually extend to everything in Fate Stay/Night with the exception of Fate Zero. The original Fate Stay/Night anime used to be fairly popular even though it's got a pretty shitty reputation now, but Unlimited Bladeworks is actually pretty well loved and I thought it was a shitty exposition fest with poor pacing, crappy character with unbelievable motivations and even the majority of fights were pretty boring.

In general I know the Stay/Night visual novel is pretty beloved, but I haven't seen anything good from it anime-wise. I know people always bang on about how Deen's Stay/Night was a confused mess that leaves sooo much out, but Unlimited Bladeworks is supposed to be a faithful adaption and I still think it sucks. I'm inclined to believe the source material just isn't that good if Unlimited Shitworks is supposed to be the "good" adaptation that everyone wanted.

Another beloved anime that I couldn't stand would be Beck. I had a lot of trouble watching that one. I thought it was a overdramatic borefest with some of the dumbest reasons for drama I've ever seen. The music sucked, too.

The thing is if you have seen my comments on Ace Wo Nerae then you'll know I actually enjoy some good melodrama, but I hate it when drama is based on stupid reasons like characters not talking to each other to clear up simple misunderstandings and Beck was full of that especially the early episodes and it earned my disdain pretty early on and it never got better from there.

Anyway now I leave it to you guys.

Clannad.

Seriously. Three times. I've tried three times to grind my way through it. Three times I've failed. It is JUST. SO. BORING.

I love drama, I love slow-paced stories that weave your head and your heart into some giant emotional wicker laundry basket. Romance, loss, grief, mental illness, school life, and the complexities of dysfunctional family units. I adore stories about them all.

Clannad couldn't coax a tear from my eyeballs with a water cannon of chopped onions and mace.

Fin.

Sword Art Online II can suck lemons.

I was ok with the first half of the first season, then i ground my way through the second half because I'm into MMRPGs and fairies. The plot line started to go sideways, though.
Let there be incest and catgitls
Then, I tried, I really tried to get past episode 4 of the second season. I can't, I just can't. The new characters are crap, his genderbent character is him in a wig, and what the fuck is with the light saber. Really, SAO, you're going to rip off Star Wars in order to let him use a sword in a gun game?

This sort of leads into an opinion of mine that goes against the grain a little, and that's how the Dezaki film version is much, much better than the bloated and dull TV version. It also lacks the AWFUL ending of After Story.The differences in terms of characterization all worked for me as well.

Clannad.

Seriously. Three times. I've tried three times to grind my way through it. Three times I've failed. It is JUST. SO. BORING.

I love drama, I love slow-paced stories that weave your head and your heart into some giant emotional wicker laundry basket. Romance, loss, grief, mental illness, school life, and the complexities of dysfunctional family units. I adore stories about them all.

Clannad couldn't coax a tear from my eyeballs with a water cannon of chopped onions and mace.

Fin.

I don't think I ever got beyond episode 3. Maybe episode 4, but I can definitely agree that it was boring

Sword Art Online II can suck lemons.

I was ok with the first half of the first season, then i ground my way through the second half because I'm into MMRPGs and fairies. The plot line started to go sideways, though.
Let there be incest and catgitls
Then, I tried, I really tried to get past episode 4 of the second season. I can't, I just can't. The new characters are crap, his genderbent character is him in a wig, and what the fuck is with the light saber. Really, SAO, you're going to rip off Star Wars in order to let him use a sword in a gun game?

this opinion.... isn't all that unpopular. and it's also how I feel, although I was tired of the first season pretty early

Mononoke was kind of obnoxious at times, and rarely ever got better than "okay" outside of like one or two real good episodes that were in the same arc.

Anyway to kick things off I'm going to be very boring and restate my utter disdain for Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works, but I think this can actually extend to everything in Fate Stay/Night with the exception of Fate Zero. The original Fate Stay/Night anime used to be fairly popular even though it's got a pretty shitty reputation now, but Unlimited Bladeworks is actually pretty well loved and I thought it was a shitty exposition fest with poor pacing, crappy character with unbelievable motivations and even the majority of fights were pretty boring.

In general I know the Stay/Night visual novel is pretty beloved, but I haven't seen anything good from it anime-wise. I know people always bang on about how Deen's Stay/Night was a confused mess that leaves sooo much out, but Unlimited Bladeworks is supposed to be a faithful adaption and I still think it sucks. I'm inclined to believe the source material just isn't that good if Unlimited Shitworks is supposed to be the "good" adaptation that everyone wanted.

Another beloved anime that I couldn't stand would be Beck. I had a lot of trouble watching that one. I thought it was a overdramatic borefest with some of the dumbest reasons for drama I've ever seen. The music sucked, too.

The thing is if you have seen my comments on Ace Wo Nerae then you'll know I actually enjoy some good melodrama, but I hate it when drama is based on stupid reasons like characters not talking to each other to clear up simple misunderstandings and Beck was full of that especially the early episodes and it earned my disdain pretty early on and it never got better from there.

Anyway now I leave it to you guys.
I'll never understand how UBW got so high in AP rankings while it aired, ok it may have fell by now, but when you look how high it is compared to other things, it just boggles my mind and makes me lose faith in the community.

I enjoyed Beck for the most part, but more towards the end than at the beginning.
Clannad.

Fin.
Clannad suuuuuuuuuuucks. Felt like it was whoring itself out for my tears, which it never received.
Mononoke was kind of obnoxious at times, and rarely ever got better than "okay" outside of like one or two real good episodes that were in the same arc.
1XCJMGA.jpg

This is just plain wrong, BB.
JK, you're entitled to your opinion

______

Kare Kano. I love Anno, and I love the vast majority of Gainax's output around that time, but there was something about this show that really didn't gel with me at all and just made me so irrationally angry with each episode. I really disliked the characters, I couldn't buy into the romance at all, and, dare I say it, it came across as pretentious, something I'd never usually say about Anno despite what most of the internet thinks.

It's got 4 stars, I just don't understand how.

that question can be asked for a lot of shows, mainly if they somehow attract an audience by making it "cool" at superficial levels. and second seasons are often rated higher because only the people who liked the first season watch the second too

I don't think I ever got beyond episode 3. Maybe episode 4, but I can definitely agree that it was boring

I had a friend in my ear about it for months, so I tried... got four eps in and kinda just stopped watching, and it was a relief. Then I saw others gushing on about how amazing it was... I tried again. Seven eps in and I slide off the face of the earth to escape the boredom.

Recently, I thought, okay, let's give this one last shot. You're going to sit through the whole thing if you have to marathon it kicking and screaming.

I lasted four episodes again - and I forced myself with blood sweat and tears through Oreimo, FFS, it's not as though I'm prone to giving up easily.

Just nope. Clannad, in the bin.

One Piece
Nami is a pointless, useless bitch, who could have easily been replaced with an actual badass, instead of some one-note, money-grubbing skank.
---------------------------------------------------------
Hayao Miyazaki
One of the most overrated figures in anime, who made one semi-decent movie in his whole career.

One Piece
Nami is a pointless, useless bitch, who could have easily been replaced with an actual badass, instead of some one-note, money-grubbing skank.
---------------------------------------------------------

Well I mean arlong arc was the only good arc in east blue, but yea she does become a badass later on. All the characters grow, she becomes vital later on. Your only in alabaster, where yea her strengths dont show. (and the next few filler arcs are the worst things in the show, the post alabasta filler arcs is the only time I felt the need to drop the show those were so bad)

Well I mean arlong arc was the only good arc in east blue, but yea she does become a badass later on. All the characters grow, she becomes vital later on. Your only in alabaster, where yea her strengths dont show. (and the next few filler arcs are the worst things in the show, the post alabasta filler arcs is the only time I felt the need to drop the show those were so bad)

G8 was ok though.

G8 was great. honestly all the filler but the 3 post alabasta arcs are decent.

oh, nevermind. I thought with "post-alabasta" you meant ALL the fillers after Alabasta, while apparently you meant only those directly after it

The Irregular at Magic High School

Absolutely hated this with every fibre of my body, and the popularity of it just baffles me in every single way. I mean, the main character is so horrendously boring that I think scraping bubblegum underneath tables would've been far more entertaining than watching him Gary-Stu it up and all the exposition dumping was especially incredibly obnoxious. Just a total snooze fest more or less for me.

Nami never becomes badass. I don't care about her stupid magic weather stick, she's still a useless bitch. A crew of badasses, and their navigator is some useless, one-note, ugly asshole. And that's my opinion.

The Irregular at Magic High School

Absolutely hated this with every fibre of my body, and the popularity of it just baffles me in every single way. I mean, the main character is so horrendously boring that I think scraping bubblegum underneath tables would've been far more entertaining than watching him Gary-Stu it up and all the exposition dumping was especially incredibly obnoxious. Just a total snooze fest more or less for me.

How the hell is this an unpopular opinion? The only reason I ever see it brought up anymore is for that Tatsuya is Jesus maymay. I myself only saw just under half, but it was such a putrid (ideologically speaking) and dull experience that I couldn't even get by on morbid curiosity.

One Piece

At least she has instrumental value as a navigator. If you really want to talk about pointless characters, Brook hasn't done anything memorable since he joined the crew and his comedy routine sucks.

I liked Clannad. Granted I was about 16 when I watched it but it doesn't lessen my good memories of it.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

All of my no. It's bland, unfunny and there's nothing touching about it. Hey, I can't even remember half of it.
Your lie in April

Same thing. The drama did not do it for me, they loved to stretch this out to its last breath and nothing annoys me more than Kaori type characters.

How the hell is this an unpopular opinion? The only reason I ever see it brought up anymore is for that Tatsuya is Jesus maymay. I myself only saw just under half, but it was such a putrid (ideologically speaking) and dull experience that I couldn't even get by on morbid curiosity.

I dunno, I actually still feel like I see this show being touted a lot by fans, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places and it gets more hate than what I was originally thinking.

Back