Review the Song

ZetsubouKaiji

How this works is pretty simple. The person that posted before you will post a song with a Youtube link, then you'll write a small review for that song. You can just write a few lines about what you liked or didn't like about the song or you can really go for it and analyze the lyrics or make any other observations you want about the song. Then you get to chose the next song to be reviewed. For song choices you can pick whatever you want within reason so try not to pick something that's an hour long or something that's totally obscene.

Just keep in mind the rules that apply all over the forum. Feel free to hate the song, but leave out any personal attacks and don't get butthurt if someone doesn't like the song you chose. If someone reviews you song and you want to comment on that review that is fine as I'm hoping to encourage some discussion as opposed to the old What Are You Listening to thread where people pretty much just listed whatever they happened to be listening to.

Okay, enough jibber jabber, first song:

Bob Lennon by Naoki Urasawa

Reactions: Toy
Dripping with 70's-inspired rock riffs and catchy lyrics about the resilience of the human soul, this song almost screams classic stadium-filler. I do find this version goes on a little too long in comparison to the original, not-"gutelala sudelala" version, though it makes up for it with a great guitar solo.

Alrighty, here's the second:
Wandering Eye (Rob Scallon Remix) by Savlonic

Liking the opening strings, there's almost a little discord going on with the bass underneath it, but when they fade and the bass takes centre stage, I feel like we're coming into the real meat of the song. Then the string pick back up and we get this multi layered piece of loveliness. It feels like music to travel to for me, preferably by foot, probably across a mountain path. Something about it feels transitional, it wants to move you from one place to another whether physically or emotionally.

I kind of wish the bass was a bit higher in the mix though, because it feels almost drowned by the violin strings when they start. Other than that, I have no real criticisms.

What's the cut off point for a long song? This is over 9 minutes...

Throbbing Gristle - Slug Bait

Probably best not to listen to on your own at night.

What I thought was a long intro turned out to be the song. Reminded me of Soma's Drone Zone radio station but with rock made as the ambiance. The kind of atmosphere I can picture for this song will be a extremely heavy fog for the first half of the song, but only to clear up gradually letting one feeling a lot more freedom with a bit of anger lingering around as the second half comes in.

------------------

What's the cut off point for a long song? This is over 9 minutes...

I say the cut off point is up to the listener, if they want to stop listening. But that doesn't mean you can stop listening after five seconds. Every song will need some time on the ears.

Anyways... Here's my song

Aaron Goldberg & Guillermo Klein / Bienestan / Burrito

Let's put some piano trio's out there!

This reminds me of stuff I used to listen to years ago. And if I'm a fan of something, it's big guitars and shredding. This song has shreds and gnarly riffs. Reminds me of prog-rock, the lyrics at least and the instrumental bits are killer in all the gnarlnitude. Gnarly suits it.

Makes me think of the 80s, which is as good as it gets and by saying how gnarly it is once more, I can say that I enjoyed it.

-----------------
My pick:
Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger

Can't say I'm much of a fan. I generally don't listen to songs that don't have lyrics/vocals. It's also a little slow for me. It seems like something you could have as background noise when going to sleep.
I didn't hate it, but it wasn't really my cup o' tea.

My pick:
Three Little Pigs by Green Jelly
I really want Thrawn to be the one who sees this. I feel like his review would be glorious..

My pick:
I really want Thrawn to be the one who sees this. I feel like his review would be glorious..

I just really, really didn't like this and found it incredibly grating and obnoxious in practically every way possible, especially the vocals and lyrics. I guess it was supposed to be played up as funny, but it just didn't work for me. Nice vid though.

*looks up article* VH1's 40 Most Awesomely Bad Metal Songs...Ever? Oh......okay, that explains a lot of things.

---
My song choice:
BRADIO - Golden Liar (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Best to skip to around 30 seconds in because that's when the song actually starts.

I just really, really didn't like this and found it incredibly grating and obnoxious in practically every way possible, especially the vocals and lyrics. I guess it was supposed to be played up as funny, but it just didn't work for me. Nice vid though.

*looks up article* VH1's 40 Most Awesomely Bad Metal Songs...Ever? Oh......okay, that explains a lot of things.

Yes, gloriously bad.
A little background on that, my Dad made me listen to it when I was kid, instead of just getting a book of the fairy tale and reading it to me. So, there's that...

My song choice:
BRADIO - Golden Liar (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Best to skip to around 30 seconds in because that's when the song actually starts.

I think part of the problem I had with this was that I really like Flyers by BRADiO, and Golden Liar wasn't really like Flyers much.

That being said, I did like parts of this. It started off sounding pretty good to me. I liked the music and the flow, but then I feel like a lot of the screaming towards the middle and end was too Michael Jackson-y for me and was kind of a turn off.

Next Pick:
White Light by Superfly

Great idea for a thread Zetsu, I like it.

And no longer than 9 mins. Pshh, I get it. But we pretty much dissed post-rock. discriminating tbh fam :laugh:

I didn't like it at all. I heard this kind of song for too many times already throughout my whole life - guy on a autistic guitar with a "heatfelt" talking about issues in a personal way that's all but personal, with predictable dynamics and generic structure. The whole thing is pretty generic, hell even Nickleback bothered to tweak the formula at some times. The lyrics are full of stale phrases and also just generic. They're also abstract to the point where it feels like you wouldn't be wrong if you thought it was something personal for you or if it was something personal for the singer, or if it was something deep in general, because presentation works that way, but it's actually neither - he's saying nothing at all. It's a definition of a "safe" song that's really about nothing. There is, of course, some marvelous abstract songs about nothing, but it takes more than one generic structure and "write my heartfelt lyrics generator". In conclusion, whatever you get out of it has little to nothing to do with the artistic direction or songwriting skill, it's like a "deep" quote written on a image you could browse on tumblir.

And how it's done right:

the Microphones - I Want Wind To Blow

Here you go have a funny song: Beer by Psychostick

Man, I'm going to try to refrain from sounding like a broken record here but these punkish, metal comedy songs are obviously not for me. I see some merit in so bad they're good movies for example, but songs? Nope.....they're just usually bad kind of bad to me no matter what.

----
Next song up:
The Pillows - Ride On Shooting Star

I was thinking of that song Tonight Tonight by Beatz Crusaders or one of the awesome bands that did a Bleach Theme. Instead I get a blast of nostalgia and awesome music. And the track's title, love it.
My pick:

Guitar. It's all guitar and drums with overblown lyrics and vocals. In the 90s would something this hilariously so-bad-its-good be made and with such ham. So much radness, they don't wear leather jackets with sunglasses like they used to and that drum work for bullets, classic! Huff and puff, hooked up and puff down dem houses while doped up pigs look yonder at the dumbass wolf. But the wolf's guitar work is tops.

11/10 will shred by jerking off my guitar again.

----------------------
Oncoming pick: Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

The soundtrack of my youth. Growing up between the ages of The First Age I Can Remember til about 8/9, I heard no music outside the 60s and 70s, there was a lot of Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Strawbs, Fleetwood Mac (mainly with Peter Green), Joni Mitchell... you get the idea.

Despite being a massive hit in the nostalgia brain, for me this song is dominated by those vocals. Musically we have this almost military style drumming, with that low bass just thumbing away that simple line deep in the register, and that simple guitar that's left to sound so raw, but then we have those vocals by Grace Slick coming into the song, and she absolutely spits those first few lines, I can almost feel the sneer through the speakers, she calms down as she kind of mellows into the song, but it's not for long, because as she builds up into those last few lines, she just smashes over everything and completely dominates the sound.

Fucking amazing.

And now for some breakbeat DJ Shadow - Blood on the Motorway

It's like you're inviting me to listen to Endtroducing again. I like the song, and I like DJ Shadow. He's one of the first guys I think of when sampling done right is the topic; it may not be evident in this song in particular but it's a good song none the less. Dynamics are good and it has that weird divine-ish sound to it on which band like Coldplay would base their whole career on. But it's just one of the songs on his albums - tells you enough about the variety and his skill. The flow is really nice, I could see myself chilling to it again. But most of everything I like the modulation of the tune; it's never repetitive but you feel the circling continuation - it's really the thing that makes its relaxed progression flow so well.

Good stuff.

Next, a long-ish one.
Car Seat Headrest - Beach Life-in-Death

whops, forgot about the 9 min thing.

Grimes - REALiTi

it's stuck in my head whole day so i m hoping to pass it onto someone else. enjoy

Back