The Asterisk War

I just hope his power is to throw over sized asterisks at people. I'll never know because I can't even read the synop without falling asleep.

Weeeeeeeell...

That's it. With all these crummy LN adaptations this season, looks like I'm going full Type B again. Man, I'm such a masochist.

Also, most of the posters above were on mark. Except for the over sized asterisks which is unfortunate.

Episode 1

Female lead seems like she's indeed going to eventually turn into a tsundere. She got the whole cold distant and aggresive things going already.

Female lead is rank 5. Male lead can beat her. Male lead is probably overpowered.

Ojou character is totally best character right now, because she brings all the oppai to the yard.
Just kidding, she's playful and ridiculous so she actually is sort of entertaining?

Episode 1

Female lead seems like she's indeed going to eventually turn into a tsundere.

Eventually? I'd say she's already one.

As for EP 1.

I get a The Irregular At Magic High vibe. And the MC seems to be like the same male MC from Magic High, however, he has emotions and is you stereotypical "why do I keep getting into this mess" character.

Obviously princess hot head is going to need to be put in her place by Mr. Mysterio. And her backstory is a bit cliche. Let's see how the show develops. Have some hope for it.

As for the MC, the whole "this is why I came to this school" backstory better not be played out horribly. It's the same type of reason that's used soooo many times.

Also, that scene after the credits. I SOOO have to check out that website. Is it me or did she seem like she was pulled form a game? And that 2d live icon? LOVE IT.

I just discovered this has already been given the go for a second season in spring, as well as a game. I read the first volume of the light novel way back, and while I thought it to be much better than average, I began hating it in the second volume and dropped it. What is being expected of this series for it to get so much... Now I'm interested in the light novel sales. The rating on MU also seems higher than usual for its genre (which is how I felt originally, but not as it went on).

I'm still probably not going to watch this.

Also, can someone please tell me why there is already a season two listed when the first season just started? Kind of bold for a studio to make an entire season and already say they are going to work on the second one if they don't know how well it will do.

second%2Bseason.jpg

I just discovered this has already been given the go for a second season in spring, as well as a game.

That would explain why she looked like that at the very end of the episode and asked the viewers to check out the website. It's a promotion to check the VN/LN and game. Interesting. How many other animes have you seen promote their products at the end of the ep?

this show has a carbon copy in the name of Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. It's not uncommon for a show like this to have glaring similarities to something else, but within the same season and the episodes played out identically from beginning to end...........just crazy.

incidentally as I admit the levels of generic are through the scales in both series, both 1st episodes throughly entertained me.

this show has a carbon copy in the name of Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

I do not recall this at all. Will have to look into it. Google image search was way to focused on a red head and her legs. LOL

Is it worth it?

MASSIVE BRAIN FART EDIT...

I don't even know how the hell I missed the fact that I just watched ep1.

idk, the concept was about the same but the action at least looked better in this series. not that the other show was bad in that department, just not so beautifully over the top.

I see a rather generic direction in both shows, they managed to do the same ep one, the entire show might follow the same formula..

Correction. They have nearly the same exact first episode.....except for one major diff.

The MC in the other show handled the encounter like a boss. The only thing that would have made it better was if he ripped off his clothes, was wearing womens undergarments, and started to do pelvic thrusts, who's gyration caused him to move forward. You know what I'm talking about.

yeah, when I saw the encounter start, I was thinking.........."aww, not this shit again."

but then when he did what he did, it saved it a bit. that show might have a bit of flavor thanks to a less generic male lead.

both chicks are fiery tsuns, but that chick is...........................ahh..................dangerous, and she knows it with her fear that a............."mistake might happen". that could be interesting to a degree as well.......

Rewatching the other show, animation style aside, I like the other one more. It handles the relationship better than this one. The other shows female MC's tsun is very easy to handle. With this one, it's still in "development".

So far, I'm putting the other show over this one. HOWEVER, we are only one episode in. I've been let down one too many times by amazing first episodes so I'll have to wait and see how the character developments and relationships build.

Furthermore, the male MC for this show seems to be a bit too honest and morale. I don't know if it's going to be one of those "Why am I getting into these situations and no one believes it's all misunderstanding" or just a more emotional version of the MC from Magic High. I hope he has more personality.

Leaving the comparison to Rakudai Kishi aside, since I haven't seen it ...

Asterix War is chock full of familiar elements, but I enjoyed the way they were put together.
1. MC gets off on the wrong foot with a fiery redhead ... certainly familar, but I liked it because
- It appeared MC had a plausible chance to lose, both from the action and from his appearance of concern - so he's not ridiculously OP from the start the way Irregular's MC was.
- They allowed the redhead to show a range of emotions, all in ep1 (good job by the seiyuu) - sincere gratitude for retrieving the precious handkerchief, righteous wrath at the invasion of her privacy, grudging acknowledgement of a debt for the rescue ... and then seeing her go supernova with anger at the other guy's taunt, hinting at a serious backstory - this is all better than what we usually get, which is either mindless rage (*cough* Louise *cough*) or weakly motivated stirrings of love right from the get-go (Testament or Rail Wars come to mind.) So, cliche but bearable ... I will be happy if they stay uneasy rivals/allies for enough time for development.
- The MC is neither a complete sap nor a complete wise-ass (nor a complete perv) - he knows he offended but doesn't go right to groveling because it was truly an accident, and he doesn't treat it as a lucky break.
- The MC doesn't fall for the redhead the instant he sees her undergarments - but when he sees her in battle mode at the end, you get the feeling that his interest has just jumped up several notches. I think that admiring her abilities is a much better springboard for any development they have in mind.
2. MC will have other potential romantic interests but this wasn't too bad because
- The blonde SC president is great comic relief because of her constant trolling -
"my soul is blacker than ink distilled from charcoal" or whatever
- Because of that, MC can't completely trust her apparent advances. Is she just manipulating him, trying to get his libido to motivate him to compete? If it's sincere interest, why so sudden?
- So far, it's just the one possible rival. (Again, I'll enjoy it more if they don't immediately ramp up to 5 or more.)
3. The magical battle scenes were dazzling - I loved the visual effects and the flower imagery accompanying the spellcasting. That already has left a bigger impression on me than anything I remember from Irregular, for example.
4. The MC's motivation is certainly familiar but I liked the way it was presented.
- The opening scene was dramatic by itself, but we're left to guess for quite a while that it was his sister. (We can guess once we hear has name, if we remember what her dying words were ... but it isn't spelled out until the SC president drops some hints.
- There's still a lot of mystery about what's going on. How and why did she die? Why the cover-up? Who was that assassination attempt during today's due aimed at?

So, overall I liked the first episode. If it continues to hit the right notes and find a tone that differs from the many similar shows, I'm quite willing to enjoy it for what it is.

Either the execution was better in the anime for Rakudai or Asterisk's first episode was terrible, because I read some of Rakudai as well before Asterisk War, and I found it to be just...awful. Maybe the parts I hated weren't introduced in the first episode (nobody is discussing it for me to tell, despite it supposedly being better lol). Regardless, while I may start Asterisk War if only because I have nothing to watch this season and how interestingly enough it's getting two seasons, there is absolutely no way I am watching Rakudai. I found it be the most generic of generic, with any trope and cliche you could think of.

That would explain why she looked like that at the very end of the episode and asked the viewers to check out the website. It's a promotion to check the VN/LN and game. Interesting. How many other animes have you seen promote their products at the end of the ep?

This isn't very common. If the producers want to be sure their watchers are aware of these products and include them in the episode, most will opt to use scrolling text at the bottom of an episode. It's inexpensive, accomplishes about the same, and they can be sure their fans' eyes at least caught a glimpse of the advertised text instead of relying on the viewer to have watched to the end for the advertisement, unaware they were present. It's a cheap copout for the producers because, while they don't have to pay for a separate/additional advertisement slot elsewhere like television or radio since it's integrated, that time could have been spent on enhancing the episode. The latter indicates to me that they were potentially focused on lowering costs/gaining revenue if they were paid to do them, improving sales, and maybe aren't confident of their merchandise selling, rather than build on the anime quality.

Back