School-Live!

Re: Gakkou Gurashi!

So I'm looking forward to this albeit very cautiously at the moment. The manga is actually surprisingly good and to be honest, I never thought anything like combining moe girls with zombie apocalypse would work out but the cutesy antics are used in a pretty refreshing and interesting way that it actually makes sense in this context.

Anyway, it's really all going to come down to the execution and I really hope they get it right because I could easily see them fucking it up.

So I'm looking forward to this albeit very cautiously at the moment. The manga is actually surprisingly good and to be honest, I never thought anything like combining moe girls with zombie apocalypse would work out but the cutesy antics are used in a pretty refreshing and interesting way that it actually makes sense in this context.

Anyway, it's really all going to come down to the execution and I really hope they get it right because I could easily see them fucking it up.

Pretty much how I feel about this, cautiously optimistic.

Yup, that's exactly how I feel about this one as well. It's a show I've been both anticipating and kinda dreading at the same time. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. This could easily be the best show of the summer if done right.

This is gonna be a trainwreck of biblical proportions, or a pleasant and entertaining surprise. I foresee no middle ground.

I'm not very familiar with the manga. I only ever skimmed through the first chapter, so no idea what to expect exactly beyond the basic premise.

I'll watch while treading lightly.

I'm fully hyped for this one. Judging by the pv they're doing some things differently from the manga, so it could become a huge mess, but let's hope not.

What I've read of the manga was only amusing for the initial shock and then it wound up being boring and I gave up. The anime won't even surprise anyone since the promo material makes it super obvious what it's about.

Episode 1.
Okay, show. You managed to snag some of my interest.
I just knew this show was about zombies. I didn't know the MC was so screwed up in the head, that she lived in some fantasy land her friends keep going. I thought it was a nice twist.

Episode 1:

I thought the episode was painfully dragged out.
There was a lot of filler added to the scenes to pad out the twenty minutes. After spending so much time building up I got bored the reveal didn't have any impact. Frankly the characters are pretty annoying at the moment.

I do think this has the potential to get better. In some ways this episode was doomed to fail because of the way it needed to be structured. If the next episode can nail home a few points then things could improve. Now that the twist is out of the way we can get into just how fucked up her coping mechanism is and how it effects the others. I don't want to say more than that because of spoilers.

I kinda hated this episode.

Ep 1

I liked it. I mean I was hating it until the end because I just really hate SOL in general and all I could think of is wtf does the other girls in the club have on different uniforms than the MC.

And by the end I realize everything was a build up to show how the MC is being delusional...........

I'm guessing the shock of a zombie outbreak fucked with her that much, and everyone else is just humoring her.

could be interesting unless it's just a gag world and they settle in to routinely doing SOL things and not looking to resolve the issue...........and the MC has gat to realize what is happening at some point or I won't be happy.

I was seriously that close to dropping this until the end.

Ep. 1

It's the story of a cute and happy school life. Middle school girls, part of the living in school club, going about their daily lives. This episode introduces the MCs and the cute little dog. It gets loose and they have to chase it. Along the way you meet all the other friends............

Until.....
You are kicked in the nuts and throat punched into reality. The Pink haired girl suffers from PTSD due to the zombie apocalypse. All her other, non-MC friends that she talked to, are dead or the living dead. You are quickly shown the real state of the school and learn just how messed up she truly is.

I thought it was going to be some ditzy school girl cutey time zombie adventure, but HOLY FUCK. It's like if HSOTD was set in middle school. This has potential. Just as long at the delusions don't mix in and we get a fast summary of what happened vs dragging the flashbacks and make believe world throughout the entire series.

...Yeeahh, I'm probably going to just hold off until that second episode comes around instead because there's really no point for me at the moment to watch something mainly comprised of dragged out setup.

^ Probably for the best because it's twenty minutes of all the stuff that annoys the shit out of you. The reason this episode fails is they had to stretch out a single chapter into a twenty minute episode. This episode had to end with
the zombie reveal which left very limited material to work with. Now that the big "oh shit" moment is out of the way hopefully the pacing can be improved next week. I think that episode will be a better indicator of whether this will be a good adaptation or not.

I will give the studio credit for restraining themselves and not spoiling things in the OP. I think studios in general have gotten pretty bad about putting spoilers in opening songs recently, but if you just watched Gakkou's OP you'd have no idea this wasn't just a moe slice of life series.

^ Probably for the best because it's twenty minutes of all the stuff that annoys the shit out of you. The reason this episode fails is they had to stretch out a single chapter into a twenty minute episode. This episode had to end with
the zombie reveal which left very limited material to work with. Now that the big "oh shit" moment is out of the way hopefully the pacing can be improved next week. I think that episode will be a better indicator of whether this will be a good adaptation or not.

I will give the studio credit for restraining themselves and not spoiling things in the OP. I think studios in general have gotten pretty bad about putting spoilers in opening songs recently, but if you just watched Gakkou's OP you'd have no idea this wasn't just a moe slice of life series.

To be fair, for the japanese viewers, it's not like they are really spoiling anything. If there was enough readers/hype about the manga to get it to an anime, then the viewers will know what to expect. It just sucks for the ROW (rest of the world).

I must be in the minority in thinking that this wasn't that terrible of a first episode.

I'm actually glad that they put so much focus on the slice of life bits just because it made the impact of discovering Yuki's delusion a lot more strong. The ending was pretty sad to me because of it, since I wasn't suspecting that the school life portions were all in MC's head as her way of coping and dealing with the tragedy, and I had honestly thought we were seeing glimpses of their school life a day or so before the outbreak happened. It managed to switch quite effectively from a cute comedy to something creepy because of this build up. I don't think it would have been quite as good if the zombies had been introduced before the end.

But I guess that's just my opinion. I'm a known forgiver of anything with zombies in it, even if they're flawed.

I thought the episode was great, and I'm definitely excited for more.

I must be in the minority in thinking that this wasn't that terrible of a first episode.

I'm actually glad that they put so much focus on the slice of life bits just because it made the impact of discovering Yuki's delusion a lot more strong. The ending was pretty sad to me because of it, since I wasn't suspecting that the school life portions were all in MC's head as her way of coping and dealing with the tragedy, and I had honestly thought we were seeing glimpses of their school life a day or so before the outbreak happened. It managed to switch quite effectively from a cute comedy to something creepy because of this build up. I don't think it would have been quite as good if the zombies had been introduced before the end.

But I guess that's just my opinion. I'm a known forgiver of anything with zombies in it, even if they're flawed.

I thought the episode was great, and I'm definitely excited for more.

I agree with you, this route insures people watch the next episode, if it was done differently, the risk of drop outs on this episode would be greater...........all depends now is were it goes from this point.

Back