Suggest LGBT changes to characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Following the announcement to make Anime-Planet more LGBT-friendly for the community, we'd love your help in updating characters for these new tags. Additionally, we're hoping for community input on how to handle gender in the database.

Because of the fill in the Character Database project, which is still underway by the moderators, user submissions are still inaccessible for normal users until we finish. But because of these policy changes we're accepting submissions for LGBT changes here in this thread.

To submit new LGBT characters or update existing characters based on these policies, READ ABOUT THE NEW TAGS/CHANGES first. Afterwards, if there's a character you think needs adding or changing, post them here:

• If an existing character, post the name and the link to the character

• REQUIRED: include what data to change, and the specific reasons why. The more specific you are, the more likely we'll be able to moderate it.

• If there's a new LGBT character that's missing, post info about them here, including which anime/manga they're associated with and any LGBT-specific info

• Do not post unrelated characters or changes in this thread - only LGBT changes will be handled from here. The normal submission process will return for characters once the mods have completed the first round of the project.

Thanks for your help!

so for this person, doesnt it not get revealed until the very beginning of season 2? i say that because i havent seen s1, but i remember watching a few eps of s2 to write the synopsis, and iirc they are introduced wearing women's clothing and the rest fo the cast are confused, and then find that out?

if so, this might be a spoiler case (guideline still in flux)

Someone on the FB page brought up Akito from Air Gear, but I think that's a different situation?

so for this person, doesnt it not get revealed until the very beginning of season 2? i say that because i havent seen s1, but i remember watching a few eps of s2 to write the synopsis, and iirc they are introduced wearing women's clothing and the rest fo the cast are confused, and then find that out?

yuuji seems like a slam dunk based on that image, i just cant remember if it's a spoiler or not (am hoping vern will chime in as iirc he's read the full series)

Yuuki Kei is quite late on in S1 - beginning of S2 if memory serves, so you're probably right in thinking that's a spoiler.

However, when Fukunaga Yuuji is originally introduced, she is dressed in women's clothing, wearing a wig etc. The picture and Gender: Male tags you currently have for the character are more of a spoiler than anything!

Yuuki Kei is quite late on in S1 - beginning of S2 if memory serves, so you're probably right in thinking that's a spoiler.

However, when Fukunaga Yuuji is originally introduced, she is dressed in women's clothing, wearing a wig etc. The picture and Gender: Male tags you currently have for the character are more of a spoiler than anything!

I can confirm about Fukunaga Yuuji. It's made clear from when she's first introduced. It's not a twist and the manga doesn't try to hide the fact. She's introduced in chapter 7.

I can confirm about Fukunaga Yuuji. It's made clear from when she's first introduced. It's not a twist and the manga doesn't try to hide the fact. She's introduced in chapter 7.

Updated Yuuji. Thanks!

i've just updated Kei - if anyone is able to find a bigger/non spoiler image for them i'd like to put it up

ohh, i misunderstood and thought we were talking about Kei with the women's clothing. well, updating Yuuji to a new image woudl be helpful, i added transgender to kei already, but we can remove if we decide it's a spoiler? unknown

I'm not convinced on the basis of the evidence given - they may be genderqueer, a crossdresser, or pretty much anything. It's clear from the context that it's a big deal to the character, enough that they've taken time out of university to go and adapt and have a think about what they're doing. But although the most likely explanation seems to be that they're female, I guess ambiguously queer is all the canon I saw in those scenes.

Sorry for being late to the party. I only just saw this thread, somehow. Actually, it IS a spoiler.

Fukunaga was playing as a substitute for someone in the Liar Game. However, for the full arc he was introduced in, he's posing as the woman he was subbing in for. This particulrly comes into play at the end of the arc when he pulls one over on everyone and reveals his true identity.

I'm not convinced on the basis of the evidence given - they may be genderqueer, a crossdresser, or pretty much anything. It's clear from the context that it's a big deal to the character, enough that they've taken time out of university to go and adapt and have a think about what they're doing. But although the most likely explanation seems to be that they're female, I guess ambiguously queer is all the canon I saw in those scenes.

Yuuki Kei suffers from gender dysphoria, that much is canon. But also potentially a spoiler, though her high levels of self-loathing are hinted at early on, just not the reasons why.

Sorry for being late to the party. I only just saw this thread, somehow. Actually, it IS a spoiler.

Fukunaga was playing as a substitute for someone in the Liar Game. However, for the full arc he was introduced in, he's posing as the woman he was subbing in for. This particulrly comes into play at the end of the arc when he pulls one over on everyone and reveals his true identity.

I conceded that fact earlier, but initially the character was tagged as male, and the image provided showed her as having a shaved head (as does the new one). If we're trying to avoid spoilers entirely, leaving her gender blank and going with an image where she's wearing the wig would make more sense?

I hated everything about this character, but I seem to recall he was gay, as mentioned on his description here.

Is it worth tagging characters who are questioning, flexible, or presumed bisexual? enjoys heterosexual intercourse, and has a child, but spoilers etc.

Massive spoilers for Oniisama E, but as a fairly core part of the series,main character Misonoo Nanako is attracted to women, possibly exclusively – this would probably have been made clearer if it wasn't a 1991 anime based on a 1970s manga. Her love interest, Rei, is a crossdresser, but never identifies herself as anything other than female, except in one scene where she's misgendered and runs with it, mostly for the lulz as far as I can see. Nanako thinks of herself as being attracted to men, but never follows this up with attraction to any specific man. She's very quick to notice attractive women, consistently throughout the series. I would suggest a bisexual tag, because it's more useful to potential viewers than it is a real spoiler. Also, major character Shinobu Mariko is an androphobe (warning, images hosted on a tumblr with autoplay).

I initially misremembered Gren from Cowboy Bebop as possibly transgender. In fact, he is a cisgender man who has developed some female secondary sexual characteristics. If there were an intersex tag, it might potentially be considered applicable for him.

Muraki from Yami no Matsuei is known to have had a female sweetheart in childhood, but subsequently shows no attraction to women, and his pursuit of the two main male characters has a distinctly sexual element. This is slightly more explicit in the manga. Having trouble with the website I found hosting scanlations, but it's pretty core to the plot, in any case. I would tag him as gay.

Not well-known, but fairly consistent through the character's modern history, Deadpool is totally attracted to a wide variety of people.

On the same note, both are minor characters in the anime in which they appear, but seem to be the usual version of these characters. Loki and Mystique are both bisexual, and Loki is confirmed as genderfluid.

Haine Rammsteiner from DOGS: Bullets and Carnage is a gynophobe.

Please ammend Ryo McLean's tags. He's bisexual, and even that's a slow burn – he initially claims to only be attracted to women. He has had girlfriends in the past, and shows attraction to women during the series. In the same series, Berkeley is bisexual and J.J. is gay. Would link to justifications, but tbh I wrote all the old research online about this manga anyway.

Gauron from Full Metal Panic! is presumably bisexual (possibly gay), but this is more explicit in the novels, drama CDs and manga series. His sexuality informs his approach to the main character, so it would be good to list it.

Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi is genderfluid. She is initially presented as a cis woman, but comes out to Miaka as a trans woman. Before her death she begins to feel attraction to Miaka, which seems to make her feel more manly. By the time of her death she seems to identify as male once again. It's handled very respectfully, actually. Discussion.

Alucard's gender merits discussion, but we don't have all year. I'm not at all convinced he's male, as he's a composite being with thousands of personalities.

Grell is a trans woman. I can understand why pronouns have been left off her page, as it's a bit getting into the meta, and there are no official materials which refer to her as female available in English, but she talks about her reasons for using female pronouns in extra material.

In Level E, Mikihasa is a gay woman, not a straight man, as the series initially leads viewers to believe. This constitutes a spoiler, as the reveal is a plot twist. I'm guessing that's why her gender's not tagged either.

Isaac Kitching from Samurai Champloo is gay or bisexual - scroll for discussion here, which is a minor reveal to the characters, but I would contest is not spoilerworthy information.

Rosalie Lamorliere from Rose of Versailles is probably bisexual. Although a lot of people flirt with Oscar in her masculine role, Rosalie's pretty torn up about it, and is show crying over her dress uniform and so forth - “why couldn't you have been born a man?!” After a timeskip, she shows up married to a guy. I would suggest that though this is only revealed during the course of the series, it's basically only a spoiler in as much as Rosalie appears first as a minor character, and tagging her would show that she gets more development later.

Leeron from TTGL has a lovely writeup. There seems to be discussion of whether he's gendered or not elsewhere. I also recall that the soundtrack includes lyrics something along the lines of “Leeron is so XXX. He loves my butthole.” Does he merit discussion?

Loran from Turn A Gundam is a crossdresser. This isn't wholly by choice, or even particularly a lifestyle thing, but it significantly imacts his character arc and his perception by others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back