Assassination Classroom

Re: Assassination Classroom (2015)

Episode 1:

This was a quirky, weird first episode and while it wasn't bad there was some stuff I didn't like.
The actual opening of the episode was pretty cool looking, but then things immediately slide downhill from there when the stupid opening starts. The opening strikes completely the wrong tone and suddenly I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be feeling with this show. My impression is that it was supposed to be an action comedy, but if this first episode was any indication then the comedy is going to be kind of crap. First there weren't that many jokes, the episode takes its set up pretty damn seriously and secondly what jokes there were fell flat. I didn't feel like they tried to bring any emphasis to the humor but instead just threw the jokes out there real fast, gave them no time to stick and then pushed them off screen limp and dead.

The first episode is also burdened with a bunch of exposition to set up the plot so that may partially explain the lack of humor here. Also, the characters were all pretty non-existent with the exception of Kuro-sensei. None of the students left a mark, not even Nagisa which is the only character the episode even tries to give any personality. Other than that there were the generic bully thugs and some generic government agents. Yeah, the talking Alien Octopus would dominate the screen, but I got the feeling Nagisa is supposed to be our main character and he leaves zero impression. There's still time for other characters to emerge but the Kuro needs someone to play off of desperately.

It's a colorful and generally nice looking episode though.

I was pretty underwhelmed.

Episode 1
Yeah, the OP is bad. It might match the tone at later points in the series, but not at the start here.
They should have held it off until the second episode.

The obvious problem with the episode: The exposition.
Mostly because of the pace and direction, I think. Much of the same exposition is there in the manga, but some of it seems worded differently, and the manga seemed to do it... simpler.
Like, Karasuma swinging the knife at Korosensei should have been done from a "locked" camera view, getting across both Korosensei's speed and the inherent silliness of the situation much better.
Like so:
OUIB7kI.jpg
Kinda Gintama-esque, no? Very simplistic presentation.
There wasn't really any reason for the anime to do it differently, and the jumping around (and that music)that the anime does is just kind of distracting from what should come off as a silly scene.
And the rest of the exposition seems to kinda suffer similarly.

HOWEVER
there doesn't really seem to be any death flags for the anime just yet.
There's some more exposition to be had, and I fear those will be the weakest parts, but I still think it can pull through on the rest. The next episode will probably be covering chapter 2 and 3, and should be considerably more light-hearted.
Then episode 3 will probably introduce Karma, and the show will improve simply because Karma, with the voice of Nobuhiko Okamoto, will make his entry.

So in summary, kinda underwhelming and a shitty OP, but it doesn't seem to be doomed just yet.

This is the only episode out right now. Are you high or something?

We're talking about the fact that you regularly rip on series you've seen nothing of, and how you do not think anything is wrong with that.
Duh.
Here's a useful subbreddit for you while we're at it.

We're talking about the fact that you regularly rip on series you've seen nothing of, and how you do not think anything is wrong with that.
Duh.

"Regularly" is a huge overstatement. Also, I'm not doing it here. So bite me.

Interesting first episode. I'm not really sure at all how this will end up turning out.
I guess my problem with the show so far is the tone, or maybe how limited I feel like it is. Obviously this is just the first episode, and I imagine things will change at some point, but right now the idea of people sitting in a classroom trying to kill their teacher is quirky, but I feel like the plot is very limiting.

I also don't really care for any of the characters so far. Our androgynous hero seems to believe that he's in full vanishing drive mode all the time , and it seems like the whole class is trying to get over their self-esteem problems by killing Koro. Maybe this will grow on me more as it goes along, right now I'm not getting sucked into it though.

Koro himself is alright, I did really like his reaction near the end when they try to assassinate him. That was the moment of the episode that was meant to stick out, and it did. There's definitely more to his character, some of it maybe really interesting, I just hope they don't tease it for too long.

All-in-all no strong feelings either way on this one. I'll keep up with it for now though, looks like it has potential.

Also, I'm not doing it here. So bite me.
Yes, you're not doing it here. That's not the accusation. The accusation is your hilarious hypocrisy in trying to paint us as "buzzkills" for being harsh to something we have seen, when you have often done the same thing yourself, to series you haven't seen.

It's like a greasy kettle dropped in an oil spill calling a completely regular tin-colored pot "black."

Ha, this episode just about covered the part of the manga I read. At the moment I'm okay with it. It's nothing too special and I can see where the conclusion is headed, but am fairly interested in how they'll get there.
Digging the art style with the thick borders, making the characters stand out from the background. Although Nagisa's pants distracted me the whole time. They're making your hips look huge, dude, not a good choice. Maybe that's why I thought he looked like a girl at first? But then again, girls would be wearing skirts...

Yeah, I thought Nagisa was a girl for about half the episode, I thought the subbers had fucked up the first time he was referred to as male.

Yes, you're not doing it here. That's not the accusation. The accusation is your hilarious hypocrisy in trying to paint us as "buzzkills" for being harsh to something we have seen, when you have often done the same thing yourself, to series you haven't seen.

It's like a greasy kettle dropped in an oil spill calling a completely regular tin-colored pot "black."

It is NOTHING like that. You can't handle someone not agreeing with you, so you grasp at the Kantai Collection straw to try and invalidate my opinion.

In short, bite me.

Back