Zombieland Saga

Add review
Rudeboy's avatar
Dec 21, 2018

The show started out really good, with probably one of the more impressive opening scenes I had seen. It was dark but funny with some great music that fit the scene! After episode I really wanted to see more!

For its second episode they dropped the metal theme and went with some freestyle rap. It was still impressed with the episode and it made me think that the show could start mocking a bunch of different music genres.

The answer to that was a simple and hard nope, from episode 3 onwards the show changes its focus and that's where it lost me as a fan.

I was hoping the show would use its zombie element a bit more for some goofy situations but it didn't really do that either, actually the show started to become less goofy and it was trying really hard to take itself more seriously.

The songs weren't really doing it for me and the computer animations they used for the dance scenes were pretty horrible too. Normally with a show you start really strong and you end very strong to try and make a lasting impression with your audience but this show started really strong but the final episode of the season just felt like a massive disappointment.

Toothygrin's avatar
Nov 22, 2018

Spoilers!!

I normally do not watch idol anime, but I love self aware zombies so this one caught my eye.

Unfortunately the show is a bait and switch after the first 2 episodes. Girl gets hit by truck comes back as a zombie. Some dude's like I'ma make you a pop idol. other girls are raving zombies. Mayham ensues.

So the first episode is like watching babymetal the anime. It's cute and happy for a few second and then turns really really metal.

The second episode has a japanese rap battle,not a big fan of rap or hip-hop so just not my thing, and then the 3rd solidifies it into a actual idol anime really kinda ruining the formula. As these character for at least the first 2 episodes just kinda bumble their way through everything. This doesn't mean the characters change but what constitutes as music is now what's typical with this kinda show. When I think it would have been better had they just kept not having a clue and every episode the music was a little different.

There is still one zombie character in the group that acts like a typical zombie making for some rather funny stuff. Like trying to eat a man in a chicken costume, and I hope she sticks around for comic value if nothing else.

The producer and their interactions with him are more then a little funny at times and the guy is outright not a likeable character and that's in part a good thing.

My final thoughts and to sum up the show. The first 2 episodes were promising,funny, unpredictable and weird. In essence what I look for every time I see a new anime come out.

Sadly it went very down hill from there, it's not bad but it seems kinda like a cop out oh we can't come up with any more weird stuff for them to do musically lets just make it a standard idol anime with some small town charm.This is not really a bad thing the show continues to be good but just not as good.
 The only thing that actually really bothers me is the 3d animation in some scenes it's a janky transition that just doesn't feel right. I suppose it makes me think a little of vocaloid and most audience wouldn't have a problem with it, it's more a personal thing.

apoc9's avatar
Jan 1, 2019

Even in death I want to fulfil my dream…“, says the main character in the beginning of anime opening. Zombie land saga is anime I’ve quite enjoyed especially the first few episodes. In particular the first episode is a blast. No doubt the best first episode of the season. Unfortunately it doesn’t keep the initial appeal and slides more to the side of idol anime tropes such as overcoming problems to perform, managing to dance properly, etc. even if it preserves comical over the top narration. However for an idol series it doesn’t try to take itself too seriously. While the story has main storyline the focus is quite episodic.
As you would expect most of the girls have its own mini-arc. It’s no surprise the last zombie girl never gets her consciousness and is permanently in primitive zombie mode. The main girl background arc is what one could describe as the saddest story in the history of anime. Yes, it’s kind of over the top as the series is as a whole. Other notable character is the Yankee girl. It is obviously due to her boisterous nature. Her death i.e. background story all things considered is pretty hilarious too. Lastly there is the mysterious manager, who is quite hilarious character. He does good job to deliver some serious jokes and good job on supporting his zombie idol group. Honourable mention goes to the character of long gone era Japanese entertainer (prostitute likely), who like Shalltear in the Overlord uses ancient dialect of red-light district … “arinsu!”

When it comes to the idol group anime series. The soundtrack and song play important role. I like most of it, which is a relatively rare thing in any anime. I don’t like most of the anime songs I’ve watched. The OP, Adabana Necromancy (徒花ネクロマンシー), is pretty catchy song. Another catchy song is Mezame Returner (目覚めRETURNER). I don’t like the rap part, because I don’t care about rap in general. I wouldn’t even consider rap to be music in the first place. It’s in one of the initial episodes, which strays off the usual idol realm. The ED is just meh.

Zombie land saga is one of the top series of the fall 2018 season. Avid anime fans should watch it. Unfortunately I don’t see much of rewachability in it. Yet, it still manages overall to be better than its contemporary series such as Goblin Slayer even if one would think it to be just an idol anime.

nic016's avatar
Feb 16, 2019

The story doesn't exactly go anywhere, and I was disappointed about that. It's pretty flat the whole time, and I found the manager annoying to the point I wanted to just mute or skip through the scene until he was gone. I probably wouldn't be too picky about the show if it was moving along, but it didn't. Also, it does take some getting used to if you're watching the dub, since all the singing/rapping is done in japanese and isn't translated, so all the voices change. Mind you the songs themselves are pretty alright, and are enjoyable. However, the 3D animation during the dance scenes are really out of place. If season 2 ever drops, they should stop that. Unless the season 2 trailer looks really good and different than what I saw in season 1, I won't be looking to continue the series. Personally not worth watching.

JadedDragos's avatar
Dec 25, 2018

I honestly didn't know how far I was going to get on this one, but I enjoyed it. Girls die, become zombies and form a new idol group.. again, didn't know what to think of it. Actually my first idol type anime.

Plot of the story was in plain sight after at least the first two episodes and throughout the anime it was held fast and didn't sway. Which was great!

Animation was good. I loved the opening sequence and was crisp and clean all through the episodes.

Sound was awesome, didn't know what I was getting into, but the music was very up beat and fun. Loved the opening, even though it was some random animation.

Characters were well balanced I think and I did enjoy how they briefly touched on everybody for a good background sequence and how they all interacted with each other.

Overall I did end up enjoying this one and may have opened me up to another genre of anime. Who knows!

=-D