Zombie Land Saga - Reviews

Gozza's avatar
Dec 21, 2018

The show started out strong, with probably one of the more impressive opening scenes I had seen. It was dark but funny with some great music that fit the scene! After the first episode, I wanted to see more!

For its second episode, they dropped the metal music theme and went with some freestyle rap. I was still impressed with the episode and it made me think that the show could start mocking a bunch of different music genres.

The answer to that was a simple and hard nope, from episode 3 onwards the show changed its focus and that's where it lost me as a fan.

I was hoping the show would use its zombie element a bit more for some goofy situations but it didn't do that either, actually, the show started to become less goofy and it was trying hard to take itself more seriously.

The songs weren't doing it for me and the computer animations they used for the dance scenes were pretty horrible too. Normally a show will have a really strong start and finish to leave a lasting impression but this show didn't quite get that memo.

Toothygrin's avatar
Nov 22, 2018

Spoilers!!

I normally do not watch idol anime, but I love self aware zombies so this one caught my eye.

Unfortunately the show is a bait and switch after the first 2 episodes. Girl gets hit by truck comes back as a zombie. Some dude's like I'ma make you a pop idol. other girls are raving zombies. Mayham ensues.

So the first episode is like watching babymetal the anime. It's cute and happy for a few second and then turns really really metal.

The second episode has a japanese rap battle,not a big fan of rap or hip-hop so just not my thing, and then the 3rd solidifies it into a actual idol anime really kinda ruining the formula. As these character for at least the first 2 episodes just kinda bumble their way through everything. This doesn't mean the characters change but what constitutes as music is now what's typical with this kinda show. When I think it would have been better had they just kept not having a clue and every episode the music was a little different.

There is still one zombie character in the group that acts like a typical zombie making for some rather funny stuff. Like trying to eat a man in a chicken costume, and I hope she sticks around for comic value if nothing else.

The producer and their interactions with him are more then a little funny at times and the guy is outright not a likeable character and that's in part a good thing.

My final thoughts and to sum up the show. The first 2 episodes were promising,funny, unpredictable and weird. In essence what I look for every time I see a new anime come out.

Sadly it went very down hill from there, it's not bad but it seems kinda like a cop out oh we can't come up with any more weird stuff for them to do musically lets just make it a standard idol anime with some small town charm.This is not really a bad thing the show continues to be good but just not as good.
 The only thing that actually really bothers me is the 3d animation in some scenes it's a janky transition that just doesn't feel right. I suppose it makes me think a little of vocaloid and most audience wouldn't have a problem with it, it's more a personal thing.

JadedDragos's avatar
Dec 25, 2018

I honestly didn't know how far I was going to get on this one, but I enjoyed it. Girls die, become zombies and form a new idol group.. again, didn't know what to think of it. Actually my first idol type anime.

Plot of the story was in plain sight after at least the first two episodes and throughout the anime it was held fast and didn't sway. Which was great!

Animation was good. I loved the opening sequence and was crisp and clean all through the episodes.

Sound was awesome, didn't know what I was getting into, but the music was very up beat and fun. Loved the opening, even though it was some random animation.

Characters were well balanced I think and I did enjoy how they briefly touched on everybody for a good background sequence and how they all interacted with each other.

Overall I did end up enjoying this one and may have opened me up to another genre of anime. Who knows!

=-D

9.3/10 overall
nic016's avatar
Feb 16, 2019

The story doesn't exactly go anywhere, and I was disappointed about that. It's pretty flat the whole time, and I found the manager annoying to the point I wanted to just mute or skip through the scene until he was gone. I probably wouldn't be too picky about the show if it was moving along, but it didn't. Also, it does take some getting used to if you're watching the dub, since all the singing/rapping is done in japanese and isn't translated, so all the voices change. Mind you the songs themselves are pretty alright, and are enjoyable. However, the 3D animation during the dance scenes are really out of place. If season 2 ever drops, they should stop that. Unless the season 2 trailer looks really good and different than what I saw in season 1, I won't be looking to continue the series. Personally not worth watching.

AKIAKIRA's avatar
Jul 2, 2020

Okay this is my first time watching a musical anime so I don't know if this anime is one of the best or just a normal musical anime but I love this actually I didn't expect that musical anime can be this good, I thought it's boring to watch a group of people working hard to achieve their dreams but I guess I'm wrong I love the songs personally the first song they sang at first the cgi is good its comfortable in my eyes it doesn't feel laggy or anything like that (also the reason why I never watch this kind of anime my eyes is not good with cgi and its so uncomfortable for me) but during the saga rock one the cgi is so uncomfortable but it's great though..I'm new to this genre so I don't know how good this anime did compared to other anime with the same genre but I recommend it for someone new to this genre like me, this anime really makes me love this genre so I hope you will feel the same when you watch this..