YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World - Reviews

Alt title: Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO

Crua9's avatar
May 21, 2019

The overall of the story is some kid that can turn back time by going to parallel universes, and him trying to solve everyone's problems. In a nut shell, there is a mysterious mountain on the beach. There is several groups trying to uncover its secrets. The main person's dad found out you can use a tool to turn back time. His dad went off somewhere, and everyone assumed he is dead. The son (the main person) gets the tool, and tries to fix everyone's problems with it but while keeping it secret.

The show basically has a given problem or multiple that happens with a person he cares about it. Then he spends multiple episodes solving it. For example, his mom killed herself after some events. He tries to stop that for obvious reasons. But sometimes after fixing it, he is sent all the way to the start.

So my biggest problem with this show is it can be very repetitive since you're seeing him redo things over and over. It also feels like no one grows since once the problem is solved, he is sent back to the start to fix a new problem while ignoring the old problems which is around again. I mean even the main character doesn't feel like he grown. The only thing that does grow is the story, but not by that much per show.

My other big problem with this is the show doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It tries to be funny at times, then it tries to be a mystery, then it tried to be an action, and now it's trying to be a romance show. And by trying to do everything, it falls flat on everything. The main character goes from being dead serious to joking about sex in an uncharacteristic way in a split second.

As far as who should watch this. I think if knowing what I said above, you are still thinking about it. Then it is worth a look. Otherwise, it's a hard pass.

_______

Someone pointed out this show is based on a game. There is nothing in the anime pointing this out. But even if that is the case, the show in my opinion can't stand own it's own feet.

I still stand by what I said above. If you're OK with what I said above, then go ahead. Beyond that I would say it's a hard pass.

msxtodoroki's avatar
Sep 27, 2019

It’s weird. But for some reason I can’t stop watching it. I’m so confused by it because it’s a lot of mysteries going on at once. This show is like a puzzle with all the pieces loose. But it’s not too bad.

wagnar's avatar
May 28, 2020

The anime backs itself to a ero-game. Its remake made for ps4. So this makes me expect accordingly.

The story had held an amazing potential. They could have made the inception-interstellar of the animes but while making this show calling you back to watch more, left unsatisfied with irrelevant plotholes behind.

I can not say the music was bad, the execution of the story was awful and this looks like the animation team only focused on a more less perverted version of the game. The result is not bad but also not good. To be real; a good opportunity on a rich story with multi dimensions and time-space travels had been ruined... This is my humble opinion.

camocanine's avatar
Apr 22, 2021

TL;DR:  Really good world creation, really good character creation, and absolutely terrible interpersonal writing that manages to waste everything that is really good about the world and characters for the sake of vicarious, self-gratifying wish fulfillment for those who long to be the unmatched center of attention and object of all desire.

FULL REVIEW WITH CHARACTER DEVELOPEMENT SPOILERS.  DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO SIMPLY ENJOY YU-NO:  The world and overall story of YU-NO are creative and interesting enough that I really want to like this anime...I just can't.  The sad truth is that when I compliment the story, I am only speaking of the macro-scale story; the overall concept and mysterious hidden truth of YU-NO's worlds and timeline.  When it comes to the dialog and developement of the characters, every character is condemned to exist in, and be concluded with, some of the most predictable, boring, and childish writing I've seen in many years.

Is the character a male other than the main protagonist, Takuya, or the villain?  Then the character will be an inconsiquential and unappreciated beta-male that exists to be:
A. "the loveable screw-ups who mess things up time and time again."
B. "the background filler characters that make the world look populated."
C. "the victims who prove the severity of the risks by suffering or dying to make that point."
D. "the unrequited love interests who show us how hopelessly fixated on Takuya almost every female character of significance either is or will become as the story progresses."

Is the character a female?  Then the character will start off with interesting motivations and background, but will inevitably:
A. "become a hopelessly, emotionally attached love-interest of Takuya who either gives into belonging, heart and soul, to Takuya or spends the rest of her time in the anime as an object of sexual tension that proves to us, the viewers, that Takuya clearly is just that desireable to all women.  This leads to that female eventually dying or being permanently whisked away as a dramatic and tragic motivator for Takuya with their final moments being vulnerable, emotional moments of deep personal connection to Takuya."
B. "an unrequited love-interest, left behind to pine for Takuya as the one whose love they will continue to long for while contending with only lesser males for the rest of her life."
...and once either female's story has reached it's emotional conclussion, Takuya simply gets on his way toward the next swooning female for the writers to trivialize.  NOTE: There is one female exception to this rule, arguably two.  Inevitably, though, any female character is doomed to either die as emotional fodder or be left behind, never to know the love of such a perfect being as Takuya...

I've certainly enjoyed "OP main character", "harem" anime, but the "everyone falls into one of these exact character developement paths" treatement ruined otherwise good characters and the deeper, big-picture story of YU-NO for me.  The love fixations were completely unessecary nine times out of ten and the characters could have been allowed to exist as more diverse, emotional losses to Takuya as comrades who fell tragically along the way without the tired repetitions of "and now she's smitten before, oh no, tragedy for Takuya again".

KaiserAlif's avatar
Nov 26, 2019

is there a way to sue a case against them ??

0.1/10 story