Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time - Reviews

Alt title: Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Chou Yuugou! Toki wo Koeta Kizuna

Kari5's avatar
Aug 29, 2013

As a fan of the YuGiOh franchise, I enjoyed this movie, but my nostalgia was one of the few things that saved this film. The crossovers were fun to see, but that was the only enjoyable part of it. Most of the plot was very weak and felt like it was designed in 10 minutes. I would only recommend a film like this to the most hardcore YuGiOh fans, as it was sometimes cringy to watch.

Plot:

The cool thing about the story is, using time travel, this movie contains three Yu-Gi-Oh protagonists (from different series). It's a VERY cool plot idea that any Yu-Gi-Oh fan would be interested in. I thought it sounded awesome, and it was the only reason I decided to watch this movie. Unfortuately, the movie was poorly made.

The plot is simple; a mysterious character from the future decides be wants to erase the Duel Monsters card game from history; so he decides to go back in time and kill Pegasus. Our three heroes band together to stop him and save their previous card game. Ta-da, that's it! The entire thing feels more like a special than a full movie; a result of its many flaws. The biggest of which is the number of plot holes in the film; there were so many it was really distracting and it pulled me out of the story. Most of the plot holes revolved around the time travel aspect, but the rest of the plot didn't make much sense either. Just looking at the plot, this is a horrible movie.

The movie mostly focused on the Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds universe, with apperences from one character from GX and a few from the original series. I feel like if the movie was longer, many more characters could have been involved, making this a more complex movie. Unfortunately, the focus was just on 4 main characters (including the villain). The villain was extremely 2-dimensional and boring. His back-story was pretty much non-exsistant and the reasons for his attack on Pegasus were weak. The main characters were their regular selves (although Jaden felt really out of place and randomly thrown in) but they constantly insisted on using every "yay friendship!", "we're now best buds!", or "our love of this childrens card game will make us win!" types of comments ALL THE TIME. It was RIDICULOUS. I haven't seen dialogue that bad in ages!

Conclusion:

Although I was expecting something more serious, it was still a fun watch. However, with the never-ending list of problems in this movie, I can't give it more than a 5/10. I really wish it wasn't this bad, and I wouldn't mind a well-made sequel.

kilimow's avatar
Aug 3, 2011

Unfortunately, like the other Yu-Gi-Oh! movie, Pyramid of Light, this one only ran for forty-nine minute, which I felt was a bit short for the story to develop too much. It's a great movie, don't get me wrong, but it seemed a little rushed and had so much more potential.

The dialogue, as usual, is a little long-winded and can break up the action a bit, but it at least stays in character. Some things they say, though; just so obvious.

The integration of new cards and themes into the movie brought up my opinion of it however. Knowing the cards that the main characters played helped me anticipate, but for anyone else watching, it's a new and exciting idea.

Konami is at least keeping up-to-date with their animation skills. Everything about the screens in 5D's we've come to know and love is repeated here, and the attack and duel animations are amazing. Of course, there's always the odd transfer from the more CGI biking to the swap to traditional animation, but it is, and has been, spectacular.

As with all the Yu-Gi-Oh! movies, the soundtrack is amazing and fits perfectly. Even the lack of sound on some of the dialogue was well-timed, in my opinion. Great music and sound effects, and as a small bonus, the old theme song from the first series returns as the ending theme.

What can I say; a blast from the past. It's been hinted, and it's finally come full circle: Yusei, Jaden (or Judai) and Yugi, all in one movie. The three protagonists are, of course, awesome, but I feel that the major characters from some of the other series, like Jack, Joey, et cetera, could've had a larger role. I know Banner's supposed to stay with Jaden (don't know why, haven't watched GX), but he had way more screentime. Even Pharaoh had more shots than the other majors.

Overall

A great movie, and a good way to spend some time if you're a new player to the Yu-Gi-Oh! game or an old veteran. Filled with card games on motorcyles - at the beginning - and just general dueling, Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time has been the movie I've most been anticipating for - other than the English dub of Haruhi Suzumiya's movie, of course.

But anyway, definately worth checking out.

7.5/10 story
9.5/10 sound
FotacienShado's avatar
Jun 21, 2012

I've never been too fond of people defending the old due to the narrow mentality that everything pos-modern sucks, however, I choose not to have watched GX or 5Ds of the yugioh saga because of the fact that the cliche representations of good versus evil just outweight the regular cardgame, as it nearly did with the oriiginal. The story sucked due to its quick-paced slap-in-the-face telling that made everything run by too quickly, no to mention the lack of imagination when it came to the overall duel. The amount of monsters used was minimal and all the strategies did was kill and bring back and bury and then revive and destroy the same old monsters. I don't know, I think I have dragged this review too far, but I definitely don't recommend this movie to anyone, I only watched it because I thought it would be cool to have three protagonists o different sagas come together.

Allairis's avatar
Mar 18, 2013

It's time to duel! IT IS NO LONGER TIME TO DUEL! IT IS TIME TO DIE!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Story:

Like everyone who got out of Pokemon got right into Yu-Gi-Oh! it was new it was weird it was awesome, it had dragons and spellcasters but in anime style! Dark Magician is my all time favorite card along with pretty much any Spellcaster, High Priestess of Prophecy is my current queen of my strongest deck the Prophecy/Spellbook spellcasters.

So yeah Yu-Gi-Oh! was a big BIG part of my childhood similar to Pokemon, both still are so when I heard a movie was coming out for 10th anniversary I was happy that they took note of that and had all three main characters in the film, I had even stopped hating Jaden at the time so I was happy to see all three in the film

What I like:

Well Yusei and Yugi and Jaden were together on screen, and Jack and Akiza (mother god of another dark redhead hottie) and Crow (this guy is just down right awesome for a Yu-Gi-Oh! character, he spins circles around Joey Wheeler as a sidekick) got to show up for a bit

Yusei is also the coolest Main Protagonist out of Yugi and Jaden, why? Yusei doesn't have some sort ancient power to turn him into the pharaoh and isn't a carefree kid at school like Jaden was (Jaden gets cooler but for a majority of the show he is plain) Yusei right out of the gates is a tough, quiet stoic character who wants to ensure his friends and family are ok and he even sees the good in Akiza (Aki for you japanese fans) and ok back to the movie

Yusei has to track down the fiend who stole his card and that means he has to travel back in time to meet the other protagonists as well,Yusei doesn't question how he time travels he jsut does it! When he meets Jaden and Yugi he just wants to get the mission done and get back to his already understanding the importance of this mission and not wanting to screw anything up.

I also liked that the villain Paradox was actually part of the series of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds as well and not just a throw away character, he actually is in the series!

Oh and Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl get to show (one of the few blonde hotties is a spellcaster! Oh I know she is an anime character but that doesn't her artwork isn't nice and the girls who cosplay her look nice as well!)

What I dislike

Well this part might be a bit too much for anyone who doesn't play Yu-Gi-Oh! as of 2011
because when Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds was coming to a close, they introduced a new type of card in the game called an XYZ monster that would play a huge role in the next Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal series and I think some kind of XYZ monster should have shown up in this series as a way to hype the next series and pass the torch by having the original characters defeat one. Idon't know maybe that might be a bad way to go about it, but Paradox did say he was from the future and if he was I seriously think he should have owned a futuristic card like XYZ, this however is a nitpick on my part as a Yu-Gi-Oh! duelist, I still play the card game with my brothers and so I keep up on the game.

The plot was kind of cluttered I think, the story seemed to say here is one scene ok now let's move to the next one, but it wasn't that bad IMO

I don't hate it as much as other people do, but that's becuase I still play the game and one of my brothers is a huge fan of the show still so I tend to get carried along for the ride watching the shows.

Little Kuriboh:

Well he certainly left his mark on Yu-Gi-Oh! there is no doubt about that, whether people hate that or not is up to them, I personally stopped watching as soon he seemed to move to the US, because he is more about doing charities and what not now. I still enjoy watching his Abridges series too don't get me wrong I am just worn out on it haha. Also if it weren't for LK I probably would have given up on the series and maybe even the card game, he helped keep me interested in the series much to the dismay of my one brother who hates Little Kuriboh haha.

ALL in ALL

I have my reasons why I like this movie more than others, all of it sentimental, the same feelings arrive for Pokemon, I grew up with these and I don't know if I'll ever stop

Hope you had a good read about Yu-Gi-Oh Bonds Beyond Time my review

Thrawn's avatar
Jun 10, 2013

Story: 10 minutes of it's hour runtime devoted to backstories on the three main duelists: Yugi Moto (Original), Jaden Yuki (GX, an academy dedicated to making kids into better duelists for a future in a children's trading card game) and that guy who plays card games on motorcycles (5D's, or 5 Dragons). About 30 minutes or so for the climatic card game that's not on motorcycles against the big bad and probably five minutes devoted to more card games, some on motorcycles. Then again, it's a movie about a children's trading card game. What would you expect?

Loads of cheese is what. I can remember how to play Yu-Gi-Oh years ago but now, they have all sorts of goofy shit for the cards. Multiple special abilities, some ridiculously broken trap cards, broken abilities, some truly messed up fusion techniques, uncanny luck by believing in the heart of the cards and motorcycles. I mean, who the fuck plays card games on motorcycles going at 150 mph? WHO DOES THAT. The future is what, because card games are the future.

I didn't get half the crap they did and half the time it seemed like they were pulling shit out of their ass especially with Paradox's ridiculously broken ass deck. Specifically his deck. Guy is frigging hax. But you tailor make your deck to kick righteous ass I guess, and that's what he did: Tailor made his deck to kick children ass. The three hero's decks? Those were legit. Ish. Certainly like the ones they used in the series (From what I remember in Abridged and commercials) and should give fans something to cheer about.

The time travel aspect is not half bad. Sure it's still pretty goofy and parts of it came up in the first few minutes of backstory and explaining crap but time travel in a children's trading card franchise. It shouldn't come close to making sense and know what? 88 mph. Made loads of sense after I thought of that when they were on motorcycles. And otherwise? Not a clue. Might have to do something with the mythos of Yu-Gi-Oh and I'm not as well versed in that as I should be.

But it's actually fun. All these tricks they pull out of their sleeve for their mons, special abilities and traps that are countered and counter-countered, all these plays that reverse and rereverse the opponent's move, gambits and risky moves, iconic characters and monsters showing up and it's card games! Card games are always fun. It doesn't need to make sense and it doesn't half the time but it's always comical in how serious children's trading card games are.

Animation: Some of the CGI looked bad but other times, pretty spiffy. Hair's all gelled, spiked and coloured and they got their crazy outfits that's only practical for card games. Paradox, why not. He's cool. And nice mask, looks in place with everybody else too. Pegasus is fabulous, the monsters apart from the CGI early on look the part and it's just fun to watch. I enjoyed the look of it and while not outstanding, it works with the mythos behind each of the three time streams and it's fun to see the three mesh together.

Sound: Heheh, I'm a fan of dubs, mainly the ones that are so bad they're almost good. This one wasn't too bad but Pegasus (Again) camps it up and the script is borderline cheese, trespasses into cheese with the dub. The VA make it fun to listen to and it's entertaining too, despite it being merely good. The music, it was good too. Some nice pieces that amp up the cheese and triumphant themes, some somber pieces and it was... good.

Characters: It's an excuse to get three characters from three different series/time periods (Sort of) in the same franchise about card games to team up, time travel to a point in time to challenge a time traveling neerdowell to a children's card game with worlds at stake. So, not much in the way of characters but they are who you would expect. I don't think they changed them much, if at at all but they suffice. And Paradox's motives, outright hilarious.

Overall: Children's card games, time travel, friendship, card games, duel disc systems that work the same way and cheese. No way can this be taken seriously and the moves they use with all the special abilities and countering counter cards with cards they layed down is pure bullshit but the ridiculousness of it all is hilarious to watch. I enjoyed this far more than I should have and is only worth a watch if you enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh. It'd be easier to stomach then.

7.5/10 animation