X TV

Add review
VivisQueen's avatar
May 29, 2009

The future is not yet determined, but it sure sucks when you can see how it will pan out. The future is not yet determined, but it sure sucks when you can see how it will pan out. The future is not yet determined, but it sure sucks when you can see how it will pan out.

Shall I say it a fourth time? Will that make the statement less painfully obvious? Because X TV certainly thinks so! It continually predicts key events of the plot by rehashing the same dream sequences and lines of dialogue over and over, and then makes them happen exactly as predicted. While I grasp that the characters are supposed to be victims of stark inevitability, this ‘hammer it home’ approach also ensures almost nothing comes as a surprise.

This is a shame, really, because X TV begins strongly, combining a moody atmosphere and a couple of spectacular fights to set a lavish scene. Cloak-swirling Kamui arrives in Tokyo to find a weapon called the Divine Sword, kick some enemy arse, and nip his supernatural problems in the bud before they can flower out of control. He admirably tries to get the job done as quickly as possible, muttering the occasional hostile line to throw his concerned friends Fuma and Kotori off the scent; inevitably, though, he ends up dragging them into an epic battle for the fate of the world. Expect also a lot of evasive dialogue and vague references to future events, which make the beginning somewhat longwinded but still highly intriguing.

But that’s where the good part ends and the problems begin. Since X TV lacks any sense of subtlety, which would help contain its bombastic creative energy, it often degrades into bland cliché rather than attaining genuine profoundness. Following a bout of terrible misfortune, for example, Kamui despairingly falls into a coma, and then, of course, someone has to dive into his tumultuous consciousness (imaginatively presented as buffeting winds) to retrieve him. Well, I’ve never seen that one before!

On top of that, for a war so fundamental to the fate of the world, X TV appears curiously uninterested in fully explaining its cause. At the height of events, someone belatedly mentions that the Dragons of Earth want to destroy the world because humans are polluting the planet (presumably, the Dragons of Heaven defend the world because… well, because someone has to). Other than this hurried exposition, the eco-war is never elaborated upon or evidenced in any meaningful detail.

Generally, though, there’s a bewildering sense that, for all the flashy effects and flowery monologues, very little actually happens. X TV wastes a lot of effort repeating explanations rather than moving the plot forward, the result being a narrative that’s ambitious but also feels well-worn and slightly silly by the time the important stuff kicks in.

At least, when the story takes a mighty dip and the characters fail, X TV continues to demand attention at some basic level due to its immersive visuals. Simply speaking, it contains some of the most opulent fighting sequences around, with every battle involving manifold religious symbols, tricks, and ostentatious finishing moves. For instance, during one skirmish with a Dragon of Earth, Kamui repeatedly blasts out circular force fields to repel a hail of jet black cards which swiftly transform into crows mid-flight. Heck, not to forget the numerous crosses, pentagrams, and elemental powers, which are juvenile but also delightfully eye-catching.

Situated between the sumptuous dark tones of Vampire Knight and the glamorous bishounen designs of other Clamp works, X TV’s is a chic, sensual style that’s continually beautiful and of high quality.

On the other hand, one of X TV's most baffling elements has to be the soundtrack. Although the series maintains a cohesive, linear plot that develops across time, the music director chooses to recycle the same handful of themes every episode as if this were Pokemon or some mahou shoujo super-franchise. The same melodies heard in episode one will repeat ad nauseam in episode two, and episode three, and episode four, over and over until the audience – who will be half mad by this point – might question whether the disc is stuck. True, for the first few episodes, the appropriately dark instrumentals will touch upon just the right emotion, but the sheer frequency of use eventually makes them sound clumsy and trite.

In contrast to its consistently average plot, X TV presents a mixed bag of characters, which is both a good thing and a bad thing – but mostly a bad thing. During the first half, where the show primarily establishes its large cast by dedicating an episode to detailing each of their backgrounds, the level of enjoyment hinges upon whether or not the character in question is any good.

In the case of angsty, abrasive Kamui and the tragedy involving his mother, the revelations turn out rather satisfying. Furthermore, his happy-go-lucky follower, Sorata, whose comedic attitude eases the oppressive melancholy of the series, also performs well. Additionally, a nod goes to the prostitute with the bizarre Catholic background and the cyberpunk girl whose best friend happens to be a computer – they rank among the more inventive of the supporting cast.

On the other hand, when it comes to that kid and her invisible dog, as well as the rest of the cast whose names I don’t remember, the background stories turn out to be dull as dishwater. Stale and hackneyed, the zombie cast of X TV trudge through their scenes, droning their lines with about as much vivacity as my wet sock. Even worse, not only are many of them boring, but they’re superfluous to boot. During the much-hyped decisive battle, for instance, three of Kamui’s sidekicks simply stand by playing no part whatsoever.

Overall

It strikes me as somewhat ironic that obviousness should be the biggest flaw in a series obsessed with predetermination. X TV wants to be the show where terrible but necessary misfortune befalls real, sympathetic characters. Regrettably, it merely achieves the next best thing – some shallow ‘can humans defy destiny’ semantics handled better elsewhere (see Escaflowne), a handful of climactic battles, and one or two characters which are entertaining but most which are not.

Nonetheless, for those not too concerned about ingenuity, X TV will entertain in its own plodding sort of way. The destiny device could have been used to much greater effect and the background battle explained in more detail, but in light of few series tackling its themes or being of equal beauty, X TV remains appealing enough.

6.5/10 story
5.5/10 sound
5.5/10 characters
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Aug 23, 2012

Although rather old and damn famous as a retro series, this title never made that much of an impact on me. I disliked its dualisms and slow pacing right away. Even after all these years my initial opinion about it hasn’t changed much, despite being bombarded all the time by people saying how great it is. In the contrary, I lost even the few specs of respect I had for its good ideas, since in all honesty they have all been reused a hundred times in later stories, mostly in light novels.

THE STUFF
- Animation is done by the king of anime series, studio Madhouse, so it looks great for its time.
- Direction is done by Kawajiri Yoshiaki, a man who likes moody, grim, and violent stories (Cyber City Oedo 808, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D – Bloodlust, Highlander, Birdy the Mighty). I used to like his style a lot but after all these years I lost interest in moody shows with poor presentation. And trust me when I say he gives too much attension to short bursts of great animation and interesting concepts but otherwise fails to keep them captivating for longer than an hour.
- Based on the manga by CLAMP, one of the most famous team of mangaka in the 90’s. Most of their numerous works have been adapted to anime and most of them were a hit in airing shares and sales. They have a style that combines the cute with the dark and know how to create spicy premises and hot romantic pairings. Sadly their stories are good only as far as premises go; their plots always fall apart under the lack of proper handling of their themes. You end up reading or watching just for the kinky situations and give up on the story. A note must be said here that they are primirely make shoujo shows with lots of action and romance that ends up appealing to both genders. But since the shoujo is their base template, it is expected to focus almost entirely on character chemistry and visual aesthetics than… well, anything else.

ART SECTION: 8/10 [Do you like my invisible wolf?]
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 2/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 2/2

- Concerning the time the series aired, the animation was great, with high detail to both colors and shapes that don’t drop in quality in any given episode.
- The mix of a modern day Tokyo, along with mysticism and Judeo-Christian allusions was a nice spice. The idea using barriers during battles was still fresh back then and gave the feeling that it is not another Dragonball Z variant.
- None of the characters looks silly or stupid. They have a serious aura around them that usually fits with their powers and backdrop story. Plus, they have that bishonen look you may expect to see in girly series; so you may not like them if you prefer macho men and watermelon bimbos.
- The use of cinematics is high, from interesting camera angles to the use of lightning in order to express the mood of the moment. There are though several repeating frames and action clips that damage the overall feeling.

SOUND SECTION: 9/10 [Let’s leave the fate of the world for later and talk about the story of our lives first.]
Analysis: Voice Acting 3/3, Music Themes 4/4, Sound Effects 2/3

-The intro song is superb and really builds atmosphere around what the series is all about. The rest of the songs are equally tension building, although they lack variety and their repetitiveness may tire you.
-Voice acting is superb. It may sound too dramatic if you are not accustomed to the whiny Japanese style, but as a whiny Japanese style it is marvelous.
-Sound effects were ok, although I can’t say I loved them in any way. They played little importance in battles and even less before the atmosphere the music themes were offering.

STORY SECTION: 5/10 [My mommy doesn’t love me… Yes, the world is about to end too but who cares…]
Analysis: Premise 2/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 1/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 2/2

You basically get a bunch of guys fighting over the future of the world. There is the older movie version which rushed through everything in terms of characterization and has a weird ending. Then they turned it to a movie where they stretched the plot so they can flesh out everybody before they start killing them. And now this is over, I don’t see anything in the story that can be labeled masterpiece or epic or whatever tens of thousands of people thought they saw in it. Here are the reasons.

1. The main idea behind the series alienated me from the start.
- The fate of humanity is to be decided by one man alone, making all the rest of humanity to seem unimportant.
- If it is his fate, as they keep saying, then why do they offer him a choice? You are not given the luxury to choose if you have an unbreakable destiny to fulfill.
- If the lead was the one to choose, then why did destiny create another chooser in a heartbeat when the first had doubts about it?

2. All the above made no sense. Plus, choosing between total annihilation or complete indifference about the course of humanity was ridiculous.
- Where are the middle choices?
- How about a compromise of some sorts?
- Why just “kill them all” or “let them be, without changing a thing”? Aren’t there exceptions? Aren’t there any brilliant or good-hearted people that deserve to survive?

3. Everything in the series was separated into two. Two saviors, two kinds of dragons, two possible futures, two seers, two women dying in order to create swords... It was way too dualistic, and thus fake.

4. For me, the whole “end of the world” theme was just an excuse for the characters to battle one another against their will.

5. Said battles, were not epic as they promised to be. It was not two teams of seven people setting Tokyo into flames in a Dragonball Z fashion. They were more like skirmishes, duals always performed one-on-one and ending quite fast, just for the heck of killing off the cast one by one.

6. Their deaths or victories had nothing to do with the fate of the world, as the final fate of humanity was in the hands of the main leads.

7. Plot wise, there was practically story found only in the first two and the last three episodes. All the rest were just focused on getting to know the characters while leaving the dreaded apocalypse hanging out to dry.

8. Even when the ending came, it was nothing much to see other than the conclusion to the confrontation of the protagonists. By no means did I feel they were fighting for the fate of the world. What world? There was no world. It was just them, and their personal dramas.

9. Did I mention how rushed it was? Very! It left me unsatisfied.

10. The whole concept with the magic barriers and people fighting with superpowers in order to find a trinket has been redone a hundred times ever since in light novels.

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10 [I am a simple man that levels buildings.]
Analysis: Presence 1/2, Personality 2/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 1/2, Catharsis 1/2

The cast numbered around 30, with each one having a different personality, backdrop and goals about his/her life. I hardly have encountered a cast so enriched and developed. Anime casts usually are a bunch of idiots that have no past or whose personality is just a quirk or the special power they use. Over here, everyone is as he/she is as a result of past events and personal choices. Everyone reacts to someone’s death or tragedy and doesn’t mysteriously forget them by the next episode. Very good so far.

My issues go with how realistic or easy to bond with all these characters is. Yes, they have realistic personalities but they don’t act realistically at all.
I personally don’t understand how tens of thousands of people felt a connection to characters that can fly in the air, create magic barriers and level buildings by throwing energy beams.
- They are not people; they are angels or dragons or generally un-human beings.
- Having dramatic pasts doesn’t make them tragic, if they can simply wave their pinky finger and sent anyone who tormented them in the stratosphere or magically undo anything that was destroyed.
- They are driven by fate; all those dreams they have about the future are bull. If you have a destiny to follow, you don’t have dreams or hopes. You are a robot, bound to do the inevitable.
- And how exactly could their dreams be accomplished in the first place? If the Earth side won, all of humanity would be destroyed. If the Heaven side won, then humanity would simply destroy itself. One way or another, there was no way to see their dreams accomplished.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTIONS: 4/10 [Destiny doesn’t value personal opinions or feelings.]
Value Analysis: Historical Value 2/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 2/4
Enjoyment Analysis: Art 1/1, Sound 1/2, Story 1/3, Characters 1/4

It’s freaking famous and loved by a gazilion people. I personally loved the artwork, the main musical theme, its characters and the general idea of the story. Yet, I totally loath the plot or the reasonong behind everything. It was kinder-garden easy to see how fake everything unfolded. Yeah, sure, anime don’t have to be realistic, yet this series was based on human tragedy forced by fate and I didn’t buy it. Also, the special powers everyone had were more interesting to watch than enjoy them fight, as the battles were too short. So, it was a half-good treatment for me.

VERDICT: 6/10
So, if the world wasn’t at stake, would you people feel helpless without some mysterious invisible force controlling your lives?

SUGGESTION LIST
Neon Genesis Evagelion if you adore Judeo-Christian allusions.
Angel Sanctuary if you fancy yaoi angels.
Choujin Locke if you dig bloody telekinetic battles.
Basilisk, Gantz and Battle Royale if you love stories about people forced to turn against one another in a brutal manner.
Fate/Zero, Shakugan no Shana, Campione, Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai if you dig the gimmick with the tournaments and the superpowers and the magic barriers.

dalmain's avatar
Nov 24, 2014

I've never seen the movie version or read the manga. Kamui is the main character. He has powers and he returns to the city he grew up in as a kid. There he meets old friends Fuuma and his sister Kotori. We also meet a plethora of characters that will have their destinies intertwined. Their destinies will determine if the Earth will be cleansed of human's or if humanity will move forward. These characters have their powers as well. It's one side against another. The Dragons of the Earth who want a new Earth and the Dragons of Heaven that are for humanity. I understood this but I did't understand the whole point of it, the plot was just there and it really never really explained why this and that was happening, it was just happening. The tv series is 24 episodes long and it felt too short. There were too many characters and just not enough time for all of them and for the story to flesh out.

The animation was excellent. This series must've had a big budget. It's very good quality. It's very nice to look at. There are no faults with the animation, even the CGI is good. It's not over done. Sound is good. I liked the intro and ending theme songs. The music was good, nothing fantastic. Sound effects were well done. Again this tv series must've had a high budget to work with.

The character were mostly interesting that's why I wish the series were longer. I found Karen interesting. The relatonship between Sorata and Arashi was intersting too. Again this series has a lot of characters and there is so much you can do with character development in 24 episodes. I would have liked to have seen more of Kotori.

This series has it's issues. It's not terrible but it has clear flaws. The presentation is pretty. Lots of eye candy when it comes to the animation. The story is "ok. The characters are "ok". Overall it's a decent series. I'd recommend it to Clamp fans. I've always heard before how this series was so good. Well it's just "ok".

ohtoriakio's avatar
Oct 5, 2009

Shounen and shoujo animes have very different flavours as a general rule. Shounen tends to place more importance on fighting scenes and makes the protagonist suit this theme. Shoujo will look at the effect these things have on characters and concentrates on the cast a bit more.

This anime is where the two meet as X TV has beautifully depicted fighting scenes while being very character driven.

It probably will have more of a shoujo feel to some people as the story develops a little bit slower than most shounen and the cast is full of bishounens and bishoujos. I find that the prettiness of the characters suit this theme of apocalypse here very successfully as the contrast with the mood is explored intensely.

X TV has some of the best looking animation I have ever seen in a TV series. The framerate is excellent in keeping with the intense battles. The backgrounds are not only well drawn but also have intricate detail. 3D graphics are not excessively used and as a result do not feel out of place. The character design has an elegance that really suit the series and the costumes range from fun to completely cool!

The reason this particularly breathtaking series does not get a full score for animation is in the reused footage. Scenes are repeated way too often and they are always the same ones. Other scenes which deal with similar issues could have been used to vary the repetition a little but that never happened.

Some scenes are interesting to watch again though as when the story progresses and a scene from the start is repeated, you can see how the show has built on that and how much more significant it has become.

I love the music in X as it sets the mood of the series spectacularly. The intro has a very good energy and vibe that keeps with the intense themes very well. The intro also depict scenes that show you what the series is about at its core with pictures of Kamui and Fuuma being prisoners of each other. This also serves in creating an interest in the series and that works really well.

The background tunes here were also great and kept with the mood quite well. Some background were very good pieces on their own too and they feel like signature pieces for the series.

The voice acting was excellent for just about the entire cast as everyone depicted their character with grave tones and warped humanity without ever sounding melodramatic, which is to be applauded with these themes.

The story of X is one of the most interesting for either Shounen or Shoujo anime. I really believe that it is one of the reasons it sits so well with fans of either genres. The story is about a battle between the dragons of Heaven (the 7 Seals) and the dragons of Earth (the 7 Angels). At the start we are introduced to Kamui and as he is at the core of the battle, he has to choose with side he will fight on. When he makes his decision, things are really set in motion and the series just becomes more and more interesting.

Themes of dreams, wishes and destinies are explored not only well but atmospherically to create a higher sense of depth.

There is a point in the middle where the pace of the series slows down a little so you understand certain characters a bit more. This slower moment of the series might annoy some viewers but it is necessary to grasp what some cast members are fighting for.

At times, the characterisation is so good in these scenes that they give more depth to the story.

The cast of characters is an immensely interesting one here. They all have very distinct features in their personality that makes them interesting individuals as well as heroes/antiheroes. Subaru and Seisshiru are great examples of that as their aim is not really to comply with what their purpose is but rather recover the balance in their relationship. Other cast members seem to have forgotten themselves in their foretold destinies but take a stand for it when they become affected with the turmoils and love of someone else.

The story is so good that the characters really come forward as strong and well explored as they could be.

The 7 Seals are given more of a chance to shine though which is a bit of a shame since the other group also had interesting characters. There is a silver lining as what you get to see of the 7 Angels is interesting enough to get you to care about them and be moved when they do what they need to as well.

I have really enjoyed this piece and think it is a vast improvement on the X movie. It just goes to show that the X movie was actually just a preview for this great series. Its depictions of powerful themes like separation, loneliness, self-worth, determination, love and acceptance are never over played for emphasis and it never talks down to the viewer, making it one of the most heartfelt animes I have seen. A high recommendation.

9.6/10 overall
spicedwolf's avatar
Jun 22, 2012

Story; 6/10

So, there are dragons of two types, those of Heaven and those of Earth, the dragons of Earth want to destroy the world and the Dragons of Haven want to prevent this from happening. Decent, but why? No backstory is given to this; all we know is the main character Kamui has to choose between the two as he is the chosen one or something.

The relationship between Arashi and Sorata was the best story, yet it was a subplot. Their romance was a little too fallacious to suspend my disbelief entirely, though they had an interesting relationship and their resolution was unexpected. The entire series should have been about them, in my opinion.

But instead, we are forced to follow the bland Kamui who is as stoic as a brick; it is bad enough we have to endure his repugnant voice. He sounds like an etremely boring version of Kurama from YuYu Hakusho.

The ending to the series is pointless, contrived, and makes the entire series feel like a waste of time. The story is at least there, the plot moves as it should, but there is no meaning or interest to the story.

Animation; 8/10

Solid, but forgettable. The action scenes are very fluid though, so I was impressed with the artist's attention to details regarding combat.

Sound; 4/10

Kamui sounds like a lame version of Kurama (as previously mentioned, and Fuma sounds like a mentally handicapped jock who suffered a concussion in gym class. Pay attention to how he says "Dragons of Heaven" all the time and you'll understand.

The rest of the sound is just there to be there. Same old repetitive soundtrack throughout.

Characters; 3/10

This score is so low because the series' minor characters are far better than the two main characters, although most of the side characters get killed off in battle, leaving us to deal with the stupidity of Kamui and Fuma.

Kamui comes back to Tokyo to find his friends, fulfill his mother's wishes, and then he has to decide whether he wants to kill or save the world? And when he decides to save it, Fuma goes full retard and becomes the leader of the opposition, killing his own sister?

What?

The side characters, like the little girl with the obsessive computer boyfriend and Arashi and Sotora should have been the main characters, or at least had more to do with the plot. Kamui and Fuma are stupid, and I couldn't force myself to re-watch the series to see if I could find a better perspective on their characters.

Overall; 5/10

X TV is a good series to watch if you're bored and need an anime to fill your time. But if you're looking for a rich, satisfying anime experience, stay away from this nonsense.

JTown91's avatar
May 19, 2011

Kamui, a boy with powerful but undefined superpowers returns to Tokyo and finds out he is being watched.  He doesn't know why his mother told him to get "The Sword of Heaven" he just wants to get it and be left alone.  He soon finds out that he is being spied on by people which understandably pisses him off and makes him want to kill them.

Eventually in his quest to get The Sword of Heaven he meets a mystic "Dreamseer" who sees the future, but strategicly only tells him enough to keep him in a pissy mood and mantain his destinty of saving the earth and becoming the 7th seal, or "Dragon of Heaven."  He meets 7 Others who have also been told about the dreamseer's prophesy and they try to convince him to listen to the princess, but she doesnt tell him what to do only that he has a fate which she has seen in her dreams.   Kamui doesnt care about anything though, he just wants people to stop spying on him and get the sword his mother told him about. He will only complain about how difficult it is to choose thereby inevatably fufilling the "Dreamseers" prophesy.

Will Kamui become intrested in what people have prophesized and take an active role in battling the "Dragons of Earth," fated to oppose the "Dragons of Heaven?"
Or will he sit back and cry as the other 6 Dragons of Heaven use their superpowers to battle random badguys from their own pasts? ----To give you a hint, its the later-----

Good Parts

Well animated, i liked the drawings, the angel wings, swords and the sharpness of pictures.  Also, there is a cool mystic story line that is particualrly evident in the earlier episodes which loses its consistancy and becomes relatively scattered by the middle and end.

The bad....

This anime started off kind of cool, got REALLY boring/lame and ended horribly

The main character Kamui acted like a bitch for the whole series. I felt very little attachment to him or any other characters as the series progressed (with the exception of Sorata.) Kamui didnt really care about the plot, so I didnt either.  He was a total miss at being badass, simply acting like his life was hard but doing nothing - a typical teenage aditude that i did not need to watch anime to experiance.

I couldnt even tell you about the plot because it was so lacking and all over the place.  The only thing common to the story was that everyone had a destiny and wanted to save someone they loved, a theme which got VERY old as it appeared time after time (acompanied by lengthy periods of melodramatic dialogue/crying).

Kamui wasn't someone who started afraid and became cool as I was hoping.  He was just indiffrent throughout and whiney about the fact that he constantly failed to take action, which is frusturing as hell to watch.  He starts off a brat and makes little development.  As far as other characters, they did not really develop either. Each had about one episode about their past in which the rest of the plot was nowhere to be found.  If a characters  main episode was boring (which it more often than not was) you'd find yourself questioning weather the series was worth continuing.   The characters rarely faught together despite the fact that they were "Dragons of Heaven" fated to save the world.  I guess it doesn't really matter if your fate is your fate, but they could have saved alot of crying by actually working together.  There was so much skiping around between characters and story nuances though that there was no time to show the characters acting together.  On top of everything, there was no consistancy or explanation to the superpowers each character had which was just one more reason it was hard to like any of them.

*spoiler*  Especially Kamui who dies like a bitch at the end.  I was totally expecting at least one badass superpower/swordfight to conclude, but once again I was disapointd with Kamui's secret plan was to get stabbed.  There was nothing special there that they hadn't done in the other 25 episodes. */spoiler*

With few characters to love, shallow themes to follow, and very little unique content, I would advise against watching more than 5 episodes of this anime unless you have nothing else to watch. This anime left me mad. I give it a  5/10, earning 5 points only because of the first few episodes and Sorata.

haize78's avatar
Oct 4, 2017

The first episode, episode 00 actually, was intriguing to say the least. A very enticing appetizer, if exceedingly mysterious. At the same time, I was wondering how it would all pan out, how the anime would manage to keep together and lead to a satisfying ending a story with so many characters, combining a bishounen in coma, end of the world themes, seven dragons of earth and seven dragons of heaven, seals and dreemseers, inevitable tragedy and a future that is - or is not - set in stone.... as well as swords, flying guys, temples, spells and pentacles but a modern day setting.... So, high expectations to see where it all would lead to - if anywhere ...

Well, after seeing it to the end I must say it was a let down. And I really didn't need to get to the end to be convinced of that, it became pretty clear way before the final episodes. Lots of wasted potential, because there is the premise for an intriguing story.

The main letdown in my opinion is quite simply the plot with its gaping plotholes and lack of sense. There are the good guys (the dragons of heaven) and the bad guys (the dragons of earth) pitted against each other to save or destroy the world. And the authors expect us to take their word for that and ask no further questions as no further explanations are given. Near the end the dragons of earth do mention something about the earth suffering for the pollution brought upon it by humanity - but it's hinted at and thus it feels like a pretty lame reason for them wanting to obliterate everything. And there are loads of inconsistencies. One of the major ones being Fuma, the main antagonist. Once again, I didn't understand at all why he became the dragon of earth Kamui and totally changed personality and lost himself in the process. It's like they knew they needed a main antagonist and who could better - and more tragically - fulfill the role other than the protagonist's best and most loved friend, so there you have it and no further explanation given except that fate has so decided. The ending, too, was quite anti-climactic. All the anime is played on the jingle "fate is already decided and can't be changed", all of the 23 episodes hammering this into you to increase the drama. And then in the final episode they say: ops, sorry, we were after all wrong and fate can be changed by people's wishes...meh.

The characters leave a lot to be desired. They are presented as deep because of all they have had to suffer and full of angst, but really amount to little more than nothing in the end. And there are quite a lot of characters, as I mentioned at the beginning. Most of them are portrayed quite well, I'll concede that, with a backstory that motivates them. But they are clichèd. When every main character is presented you get that there is a meaningful story that drives their actions, but it lacks persuasion and remains superficial. The best character is Sorata, in my opinion. The protagonist and antagonist are quite feeble and unpersuasive. Kamui, the protagonist, starts off with more personality and then he kinds of loses it progressively. As for Fuma, I already talked about him.

As for the animation, the visuals are well done and I liked the character designs, most of them are bishounen and bishoujos. But there's lots of re-used footage and quite often the proportions are just off. The background music does perfectly its job in setting the mood, epic music for the more epic moments and heartbreaking piano music for the more tragic and sentimental ones. Except that, the music too is constantly repeated so it tends to get...repetitive.

Overall, it starts off very well but then doesn't live up at all to the intriguing premise.

4.5/10 characters
scizorg45's avatar
Sep 27, 2010

Story 5/10

If someone would tell you the future is fixed and cannot be changed, would you tell them they’re wrong? If someone would tell you that you will die and tell you the exact location, the way you’re going to die and every detail possible about your death, would you not try to prevent it? Well, I can say that you wouldn’t if you’re a character from X TV.

The story basically is about two groups of people, one who wants to destroy humanity and one who wants to preserve it. Thing is, the people from the destroy side don’t necessarily want to destroy humanity, which makes the conflict laughable at best. The action doesn’t start until the latter half of the show starts, the first 12(!) episodes more or less being a prelude. In fact, the real battles that matter don’t happen until the last 5 episodes, which was annoying (to say the least). On top of that, nobody is sure what they really want, so half of the time is wasted figuring that out. The concept was nice, the execution terrible.

Animation 6/10

The animation style is a bit old, but it’s nothing disturbing. The characters look pretty nice and the action scenes are fluent.

Sound 3/10

The voice actors are decent, but one thing annoyed the hell out of me. A single soundtrack was used at the end of almost every episode and, depending on the mood, was played with a little variation depending on the mood. I almost started skipping the last part of an episode so I wouldn’t have to listen to that horrible soundtrack.

Characters 6/10

Ugh, the characters. Most of them were decent enough with a nice background to them. But I wanted to kill them sometimes because of the decisions they made. There is a future seeing princess who doesn’t inform her champions about impending doom “because they can’t change it anyway”. What kind of stupid reason is that! Of course they can’t change it if they don’t know about it, duh! She alone makes me go no higher than a 6.

Overall 5/10

X TV could’ve been a very nice anime; the story was good enough for it. Making us wait 12 episodes for them to show this is unforgiveable however. I might rewatch just the last 6 episodes to see if the story still makes sense that way and if it does, just recommend everyone to skip the first 16 episodes.

6.5/10 characters
Rbastid's avatar
May 22, 2018

From what I can remember, this was the first anime series I purchased on DVD when it was newly released, based almost solely on the cool Box and DVD sleeve. Years later it still can entertain and draw out emotions as it did the first time almost Fifteen years ago.

Story - 6/10

While I do find the series to be quite engaging and interesting, and it holds a place as a favorite, I can see that really there isn’t much going on throughout the twenty four episodes. The plot of the show, a young man’s return home to fulfill a prophecy regarding the end of the world, is used as a catalyst for both the good and bad within the show. The good that comes of it are all the great characters and their interactions, while the bad are the somewhat pointless fights we’re stuck enduring in all action style anime, as well constant droning on.

First the bad, the show doesn’t necessarily know what it’s viewers want, so they just take the two most extreme formats. For one side there are the fights that happen over and over again, most which may add a little information or story to the show, but mostly serve as the filler, where it instead could have been delivered in a more entertaining way. On the other side of the spectrum is their need to spend time having a character just explain plot points over tense music, in excruciating detail, sometimes multiple times throughout the series, and yet again they could have accomplished the same thing by actually building a story instead of just telling one.

The best parts of the show are when the groups of essentially pre-paired characters, get to interact one on one with each other. From the completely wasted story of Subaru Sumeragi and Seishiro Sakurazuka, which itself deserved a second spin off that could touch on all the events between Tokyo Babylon and X (and this might have been dealt with in the Manga), the awkward romance between Yuzuriha and Shiyu Kusanagi or the even more awkward relationship between Seiichiro and Karen. Every one of those sub stories could have entertained the viewer for multiple episodes, but most of the time they had just a few clips here and there, with the time instead being used to explain some lore, which may or may not be true to real life legends, but is certainly not important enough to waste as much time as they did on it.

It’s also within that good part that the show’s real meaning seems to come through. Like Harrison Bergeron, Ayn Rand’s Anthem or the music of Rush, X can find itself placed in works with a strong libertarian message, the idea that man has the freewill to choose their path and must deal with the consequences of those actions. Despite each character being led to believe their life was preordained, many in the series changed the course of their own history in order to protect the ones they love.

Thankfully, despite what we’re told in those aforementioned dialogue heavy scenes, things don’t turn out the way they’re planned. The show is loaded with twists and shocks, which keeps you interested and happily awaiting the next episode.

Animation - 9/10

One of the least shocking statements in the world of anime would probably be “Madhouse and Clamp teamed up on a show, and it was amazingly animated” and even the detractors of the series seem to agree.

The team here managed to pull together all the artistic elements important to a series, especially one such as this which relies heavily on action scenes. While all the characters are animated in the style the ladies of CLAMP are known for, they each have a uniqueness that easily sets them apart, even if you’re just catching a glimpse of their face. The backgrounds are not only detailed and beautiful, but due to the nature of the show they get a few renditions of each, such as the normal world, inside a barrier field and, at times, destroyed by a previous battle.

Finally there are the fights themselves, never do they look as if the animators were rushed, trading off blurs for actual animation. Furthermore they appear to have stayed away from one of the biggest annoyances in anime, shoddy computerized animation, where they try to integrate animation and CGI, yet don’t ever attempt to blend the two seamlessly.

I’d say the only real downside was how they didn’t stray too far from the original Movie or Manga when it came to character design, though they did toss in some visual upgrades to each from time to time.

Sound - 9/10

For such a large cast, the English dub team knocked it out of the park when it came to the quality and diversity of those voicing our characters. Most of the V.O. artist either were, or became, the voice of well known anime characters, including Onizuka and Fuyutsuki from GTO, the titular stars Lupin and Kenshin, and even the lovably klutz Milly Thompson. While we know the voices from elsewhere, they work perfectly with their assigned character and easily separate themselves from other shows.

The real standouts in the show are Tony Oliver’s portrayal of Sorata, Lia Sargent as Arashi and Philece Sample as Yuzuriha, who all put forth great performances with some of the best emotions I can remember in voice acting, maybe even in all acting.

The show’s music is also a perfect match to it’s visual elements. Using the song Ex Dream as an opening was a great choice, especially paired with the video created for it. On the other hand, the closing song, Secret Sorrow, wasn’t too much to my liking, or the show’s overall them, as nothing within the series screams “Slow Jazz.”

The real stars here, when it comes to music, are the orchestral pieces played throughout the series. While there are many different songs played during the show, two stand out due to their quality, and repeated use. The first is Destiny, a song that has two different versions, and is played over many different types of scenes, be it action, suspense, tragedy or romance. Somehow no matter where they placed the song, it fit and added just what was needed to the scene. The second song was titled Encounter and like the previously mentioned song, it had a wide range of uses, but most notably are during chases or mysteries. These two songs, with a conservative guess, make up about seventy percent of the music in the show, and somehow it never got old sounding or annoying, the editors always managed to use them in great accompaniment to the scene, which allows them to both help drive the action, but still feel as if it’s staying in the background.

Characters - 6/10

The series set an ambitious goal for itself, having seventeen important characters to focus on, and unfortunatly they just couldn’t do justice to many of them in the timeframe given. What makes the lack of character building even more frustrating is that they often would repeat scenes from episode to episode, showing us exactly what we’ve already watched for no apparent reason. Instead it would have been nice if they used that time to add more to some of the ignored characters.

The group that makes up the Dragons of Heaven tend to be far more interesting and complex than those representing the Dragons of Earth. Their Kamui starts off as an angry young man who really wants nothing to do with this whole event, but as his youthful memories with Fuma and Kotori start to resurface, he decides he wants to protect the world and all his friends in it. After he makes that decision he does go on to become rather bland, changing from an erupting ball of rage to run of the mill nice guy.

Thankfully the rest of the team picks up Kamui’s slack. Of all the sub-characters in the series, the most time is given to Sorata and Lady Arashi. While there are a few romances that occur during the show, their’s is the most common in anime shows, a goofy young boy decides he’s in love with a pretty young girl and tries his hardest to win her over. That love also helps focus on the previously mentioned topic of “Free Will” where one of these character’s chooses to forgo their destiny in order to save the other, and in turn suffers the consequences of their actions.

Another pair that plays in the series are Karen Kasumi and Seiichiro Aoki. Both are representations of good people who’s life has put them in odd positions. Karen is a very religious woman who also happens to be a prostitute, a job which she gravitated towards due to her mother’s insistence that she was a monster that no one could ever care for. Likewise Seiichiro is a good man who has to hurt his wife and child by requesting a divorce, not because he doesn’t love them dearly, but due to his assumption that with the impending battle will come his death, and that will be far worse for his family. These two happened to meet before the end times began, while Seiichiro was researching a story, and eventually their pure hearts and tough circumstances drew them closer, to the point both found a new love in each other.

Yuzuriha, while having a story that mimics Sorata and Arashi, almost feels like she’s put in the show as fan service. A very young girl with a very short skirt, who falls in love with a much older man. Of all the characters from the Dragons of Heaven, she seems like the one who the creators didn’t plan much out for.

Well until you look at Subaru. While he actually has the deepest story of anyone, having previously been the main character of the short series Tokyo Babylon, outside of a few pivotal moments in the series he is criminally under used. The backstory involving his sister, Seishiro Sakurazuka and himself appears to be what almost all great anime series are made of, but outside of the OVA and the clips seen here, there was little put to video when it comes to this plot line.

Those making up the Dragons of Earth really don’t do much for me. While their Kamui, originally Fuma Monou, did the reverse of Kamui Shiro, he was never as interesting in either his good or evil form. He started out as a bland goodie two shoes and turned into a bland evil being. Never did they attempt to put any thought or emotion into his character.

That followed into a few of the other members, where Satsuki is nothing more than an antisocial jerk who plays with computers all day, Nataku is a soulless experiment and Kakyo is a narrator. All did very little for the series besides being people to kill or be killed. Things didn’t fair better for Seishiro, who like his counterpart Subaru, was almost nonexistent in the series, when his potential was that of a show’s lead character.

Only two members of this clan were really worth the time put into them, and in one case that didn’t happen. Kusanagi Shiyu and Satsuki Yaoji both seem as if they are reluctant members of the Dragons. Although a member of the Japanese Self Defense Force, Kusanagi is very much a pacifist, and while he does believe humans should be punished for the damage they’ve done to the Earth, he doesn’t believe this is the way. Like Arashi his care for other humans, and Yuzuriha in particular, causes him to switch sides and decide that life is worth saving. Satsuki is a little more happy to fight the Dragons of Earth, but often seems as if he does it because it’s his destiny, or even a job. During his fights he tends to be very social with his rival and talks as if he would much rather they not have to fight, since they appear as if they could be friends. The idea that both these men would prefer not to take part in the end of the world, but choose different paths, make them characters who the series would have greatly benefited from if they focused on.

The only other significant characters are Fuma’s sister, Kotori, who is essentially just there as a catalyst for others, and the two sisters who act as leaders of both groups, the dream seer Princess Hinoto and her younger sister Kanoe. Kanoe is a pretty straight forward character, hoping for the end of the world and manipulating those around her in order to see that goal achieved. On the other hand Princess Hinoto has much more going on, as at times you aren’t sure what her true motives are and it helps add yet another layer to the end of the series.

So as I said earlier, while the story itself isn’t too spectacular, many of the characters are, and they had the potential to sit on top of the mountain with other anime greats, but the show’s writers ended up letting us all down.

Overall - 9/10

I think I actually lucked out by seeing this anime before the movie (which in all honesty I still haven’t seen) because it allowed me to watch the series with fresh eyes, not having a very similar piece to compare it to.

While I do find the show to be imperfect, especially with so much character growth potential just left blowing in the wind, I do really enjoy the show and wouldn’t have had an issue with it being longer, or having the series extended into how Kamui worked to fix the world and make it a better place.

triesleast's avatar
Mar 26, 2015

Such a disappointing anime. After hearing some positive thoughts about X, I decided to give it a shot, and the opening themes of Destiny/fighting fate sounded appealing, and seemed as though they were going to be presented in an original thought provoking way. Here ends any true praise I can muster for X. While the animation and sound have no noticeable issues, neither do they stand out, characters are bland, but the show attempts to convince you that they are deep and complex. The initial fight scenes featuring the protagonist make him out to be a badass, yet as the show goes on, he becomes less and less awesome, and more whiney/weak and indecisive. In general this is an anime that begins fairly strong, but ultimately fails to deliver on the promises made early on. The fights are par at best, the characters uninspired, and the story shallow.