World Trigger

Add review
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Apr 13, 2016

This show was considered sort of controversial in its first dozen episodes, since there were a lot of polarizing opinions about it. There were those who liked it because they were addicted to watching it, so of course and they liked it, and those who dropped it because of the subpar plot and budget. It’s as typical as typical can get, making it very hard to give a damn if it’s not even well animated. Which isn’t because it’s made by Toei after they stopped giving a damn because their shit are going to sell regardless of how shit they are.

Those who like the show insist that it isn’t that bad and in fact it gives it its own unique identity. Think of Jojo, it stands out from everything else coming out today but many like it. It’s different, so it’s good. Only thing, people do not like Jojo simply because of the uncommon artstyle but because it’s well animated. Something you cannot say for World Trigger, which can be summed up as lazy and cheap.

Those who like it also insist that the story is very good because it’s full of terminology and a world that is slowly explored. What they usually neglect to mention is how it’s a 73 episode series, with a very slow pacing, dozens of fillers, and an incomplete ending. It’s like you are being punished for watching it with expectations higher than sea level.

Even if you filter out the enormous amounts of dead time and stick to the terminology, you are just going to be getting a lot of pseudo science that is constantly trying to make sense of a very straightforward shonen plot, concerning teenagers with superpowers fighting monsters from another dimension and going against bureocratic adults. It’s overcomplicating something that does not need it, and only makes it convoluted by presenting adults as wrong because they are adults.

With a simple plot, come simple characters which in the tradition of perpetual on-going shonen means there are hundreds of them and they are defined by a single trait. Shonentards are watching them doing stuff and imagining possible character developments which never happen. They like them simply because they get attached after spending several dozens of episodes watching them and not because there is actual depth somewhere in there. They are all the usual archetypes you can find everywhere.

Of course if you keep your expectation really low there is a high chance you will like it. All you have to do is disregard the awful pacing, don’t mind the subpar animation, overthink the simplistic plot with pseudo science, and keep telling yourself that it will get better just like Fairy Tail did. Even if it never did.

3.5/10 overall
MonkeyDLuffyZ's avatar
Apr 2, 2015

This anime is worth watching. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have good taste. I have watched 100's of anime, of all genres, and I know there are many animes better than this one, but regardless, I still personally fell for this anime.

AnimeEmma99's avatar
Feb 8, 2015

I'm currently on episode 6 and its damn good. I really dont understand why it's rated 3/5 stars, try it. You'll like it

lonewave's avatar
May 7, 2015

My brother showed me this show. At first, I thought it was a boring kiddish show. However, I tried watching it and it was really really good. Idk why people are giving it three stars. Just try watching it.

WiredBall's avatar
Jul 20, 2015

Be for warned i've only seen the first 8 eps

This anime is the casual of all casual things that have ever existed, if you google casual it will just give you a link to the first ep of World Trigger. Ever want to watch an anime and do something else at the same time or wanting to sit on your ass and do nothing but pass that time without putting any work in then GREAT, World Trigger is for you. The score of 5 is not a bad in any form it just means its straight up OK. It's not good or bad, if your look for a brand new and exciting shounen you might have to look elsewhere, that doesn't mean not to try it, just dont expect it to be your favorite anime or something that will have you biting your nails and on the edge of having a mental breakdown waiting for the next episode.

tl;dr  it was casual enough to make me lose my soul

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Mar 4, 2016

I will write a longer review when it's finished, but for right now, I want to say this anime is AWESOME. There aren't many animes with more than 50 episodes that are actually good enough to deserve so many episodes but this one does and I won't mind if they make another 60 or a 100 more episodes. There was only one real filler episode so far which I mostly skipped, but otherwise, it's great.

The main character isn't exceptional at anything except perhaps being stubborn and determined to try to help anyone in need. His companions on the other hand are very exceptional. While I don't care for main characters who are super strong and perfect etc, main characters who are average and don't seem to have much hope of ever being anything more can be annoying too. However, it's not too annoying, it just irks me every once in a while and I feel bad for him.

There is one thing about this anime that I absolutely have to mention because it scores a million points in my book for doing so. First I will give a bit of an explanation why it scores so many points.

Personally, I really don't like when none of the characters get hurt or even get so much as a cold or anything. It's even more annoying when the characters are fighting battles and getting thrown into buildings etc and never need so much as a band aid. It takes away the excitement of the action for me. I don't really care all that much because there aren't any real consequences for the character. It's part of why I hate MMORPG animes so much too. It's not very realistic either. As much as I love Inuyasha, that girls goes through so much being dropped hundreds of feet onto a bunch of bones being in the crosshairs of battlers falling etc and there is only one episode where she needs a bandage and it's still minor. That just bugs me. Other animes that let the character get hurt but then using healing spells and such piss me off too, maybe even more. However, that's how most animes are. The writers give them some way to heal quickly.

Well this anime didn't appear much different, although I thought it had a pretty good excuse. When the characters use their weapons, their physical body gets exchanged with a trion body which is a type of energy. However, it didn't score a million points in my book for having a good excuse. What did was the fact that despite having a good excuse for no one to get hurt, the writer found a way to create a situation where someone would get seriously injured and did. Instead of having situations where a character would get hurt and trying to find a way for them not to or just ignoring it, this anime had a good excuse for no one to get seriously injured and it's like the writer was trying to find a way to make it so someone could. I doubt the writer was actually thinking about it like I am right now, but it's unique. They created a situation where the character had to make the decision that would nearly kill him instead of creating a situation with a get out of the hospital free card. The whole anime is good but had it not been for this, it might not have made it to my top ten.

9.5/10 story
LightlySalted's avatar
May 22, 2015

I am up to date with the series (ep 31) and will update as I watch more.

Story - 7/10

The premise is straightforward of men vs alien.  Aliens, called Neighbors, can be warped in from the sky at any point in the city. Once a breach happens, the Border organization dispatches a defense team to eliminate it.There are various kinds of aliens, ranging in various sizes and in function. Also, the defense teams uses the Neighbor's technology as their primary weapons.  It is kind of weird that most, if not all responding defense teams seen so far are kids between 15-19 years old. A bit young eh? As they are given responsibility in killing aliens with dangerous weapons and saving as many civilians as possible. As far as censorship goes, there is no blood involved and hardly any deaths. That is because of the trion technology. To explain trion, it essentially represents a person's power level in using a trion-based weaponry. It resides in a person's body and is channeled to the weapon to take form. The weapons, called triggers, also act as a fail-safe for any user because it substitutes the user's body and transforms to a battlemode costume. Any damage inflicted while in battlemode is temporary and can be resetted in base.In addition, the user will be automatically teleported to the base if they take too much damage in a fight. This removes a lot of tension of someone dying and might lead viewers away looking for mature action (blood/guts/dying)

As the show goes on, the men vs alien aspect is not heavily focused on the first half of the anime, But the plot does pick up later on. Much of the early episodes does consists of plenty of action between Border members. There is some variety of weapons to make the fights interesting. So if you like watching people fight it out with swords, sniper rifles, small guns, and energy blasts with some tactic elements between team members, then this anime is a decent watch.

There is a small aspect of people having special abilities. Some Border members who are strong enough will have an ability called "side effect," which comes from them having trion. Most of these only play a small role in the story but it offers some importance to side characters, or make them a little more unique. Some of these abilities are: lie detector, increased hearing, and precognition.

Animation - 6/10

I bumped the score from 5 to 6 simply because I got used it and don't notice it anymore as a negative. The anime does look outdated by about 10 years. But in terms of watchability, you don't even think of the animation quality during fights. As I understand, the anime will go on to about 50 episodes, so I can see why they want to spread out the budget.

Sound - 7/10

Nothing to note really. Standard.

Characters - 7/10

The main character starts off in a good place.He has the stereotype of wanting to save everyone (of course) so he is a little niave, but not too much to the point of annoying. He starts as a low ranking position for Borders, so he does not start off as a total useless whimp who wants to become strong.

The other main character, the one with white hair, is a bit of a mystery. His personality and perspective on life is somewhat interesting. He constantly does the duck face ( =3= ) which kind of gets old after a while but the character is likable overall.

There were no characters that I hated seeing so that's a plus. There is a variety of personality, but no one is talked about in depth though.

Overall - 7/10

The anime is good so far. At least good enough if you have time to waste and no other anime to watch. The action and story is decent, while having potential.

ffcfran's avatar
May 29, 2016

I love world trigger. most of the time i cant watch something for more than 24ish episodes then i need a break for a bit before i pick it up again. i watched this every week and was sad when it ended. the characters made a great team. i liked the fighting without dying. the alien invasions were cool and the possibility of going to other planets is awesome.

apoc9's avatar
Jul 24, 2015

World trigger is simply shounen done right in old school way. It reminds me lot of Dragon Ball and other older shounen shows. It is quite surprising it went quite under the radar. At least I didn't hear anime reviewers I follow to talk about it much if at all. Btw those recommendations for Kekkai sensen and AOT are nonsense this anime is superior to them in almost every aspect. First there are no cheap ecchi gimicks like usually in modern anime. There is no useless shock factor and no unnecessary killing of characters. It is purely adventure, action, sci-fi shounen. While the start is not as exciting as the Aftokrator arc (so far the best in the series IMO). The pacing slow downs in between arcs, but during arcs it is pretty neat. Especially cliffhangers are sometimes pretty intense. If I found this show after airing I would probably watch it in straight line. Characters are shounen-ish with main protagonist (彼女を守るメガネくん) hard working and rather weak especially in comparison with his OP friends.There are many secondary characters with various significance. However as in Aftokrator arc is shown being strong does not ensure neither victory nor safety. Weaker trigger users can win against stronger if they use good strategy and adapt their tactics according to situation. The show is mostly bloodless as in every fight people use syntetic trigger bodies. Still stakes can be pretty high as the prospect of being abducted by aliens from other worlds as raw material or other worst-than-death purpose. Scope of the anime is quite extensive and it is clearly aimed for long running show if not the endless-ongoing-shounen.

While some criticize the show for slow pacing and fillers. It has one painstakingly obvious filler arc, but honestly Dragon Ball, Sailormoon all those classic anime had fillers. Same as for pacing - battle with Freeza on Namek anyone? I do not find it to be deal breaker. What does the show different from other similar shounen shows it does not relies on nakama power and cheap asspulls. The main protagonist is weak and he stays as such. His strong motivation by itself does not improves his skill. After all he trained only for while during the series so he doesn't get stronger with single training montage. This is even stated openly in the last episode (73) by one of his senpai, that his expectations of getting on top in such short time is unrealistic and he should get real. It would take him several years to get there at best.

As for critique of the animation. I do not find it bad. It is not like in Dragon Ball Super, where it is a problem. The art style is different from what we can see nowdays. The biggest issue I have is it ends incomplete.

My verdict is this is fun to watch shounen and I praise the show for knowing what it is about and sticking to it.

gh02t's avatar
Jun 3, 2015

Tl;dr - one of the biggest (pleasant) surprises I've ever come across. Extremely good writing makes what at first seem like a somewhat lame premise into something great.

Normally I only like to review shows that I've watched all of, but given that World Trigger is currently at episode 32 I'm feeling like it's a great time to sing the praises of this show, because it really deserves it.

The basic premise of World Trigger is that there's a sort of rift between this world and some parallel universe. In the other world, instead of guns/knives/clubs/etc, people use things called "Triggers" to kill each other. Basically it uses some sort of vaguely defined energy called "Trion" to make weapons, which range from sparkly guns/knives/clubs to some ridiculously powerful abilities that I won't spoil. Naturally, most people living in the parallel world are assholes and as soon as they figure out how to connect to our world they send monsters (and later, other stuff) to try and kill us. Fortunately, we manage to figure out how to make triggers of our own and fight back. A supervisory agency named Border is created and they manage to isolate the portal to the other world and after they defeat the initial invasion they basically just sit there guarding it. Obviously the primary soldiers we can muster are teenagers, so they also are responsible for training kids to fight off alien monster things.

Now usually when I'm perusing the new series of a season I watch the first episode of just about everything airing. The rule is, if I think "I really don't want to watch this" 3 times during the first episode it immediately gets turned off. If I make it all the way through, then I decide whether I want to watch another. If I make it through two episodes then I usually watch it for the rest of the season.

My actual criteria for what I watch doesn't really have anything to do with "goodness" (and I certainly watch plenty of awful shows, I'm a masochist) and is pretty arbitrary. To be honest, the first episode of World Trigger didn't do much for me. The art isn't that great (World Trigger isn't really a big-budget blockbuster by any means) and the premise that I just outlined seemed kinda lame, but it piqued my curiosity enough to warrant watching the next one. I was expecting another monster of the week show and really the first few episodes sort of fall into that pattern (albeit in an interesting way), but it quickly becomes much more than that.

If you're clever, you're probably thinking that I gave an extremely detailed description of the premise that I also just said I didn't find that interesting. That's because they make it work, and they do a really good job of it. The premise that at first sound kinda bland and generic is fleshed out in great detail and they use it to tell what I think is a great story. This is a textbook example of my golden rule: good writing can overcome just about any other weaknesses.

World Trigger is probably the best example I've ever seen of this rule. The show is full of clever twists and surprises, smooth pacing, an interesting and dynamic cast and a setting that is as expansive as it is detailed. Dialog is also good; one of the most telling aspects of how a show is written is how the dialog presents information. When you see characters say something to the effect of "HEY, would you remind me again about the detailed aspects of our SECRET MASTER PLAN?" as a way to kick off a lengthy monologue that is intended to inform the audience... that's crap. On the other hand, good dialog leaves the viewer (or reader, though this storytelling device isn't really as neccessary in print if you have a narrator available) just as well informed without the weird stilted lines. This is just one thing World Trigger does well and is the example I'm choosing to communicate this. There's also a decent amount of humor sprinkled in that I actually laughed at, which I didn't expect.

At episode 32, we've already been through several arcs and pretty much every episode has been a pleasure. I think World Trigger is probably targeted at the shounen demographic and it does a good job for this target with its good pacing and good mix of action/suspense. However, the plot is complex and diverse enough to keep adults plenty interested as well. Sound and animation aren't that great (it's clearly not super high budget), but they do a good job with what they have. The voice acting is perfectly fine and the animation, while stylistically not really my thing, is often used very effectively as part of the humor.

So yeah, give this show a chance if you are looking for a show with action but a surprisingly good (excellent?) plot. It's one of my favorites and I look forward to it every week. I remember the names of pretty much all the characters, which is a sure sign that it's either great or terrible. And it's not terrible.

Update: Now through the first season and deep into the second. Still Pretty Good (TM).

8.8/10 overall
Satis's avatar
Jul 31, 2016

Hello! My Name is Satis and I'll tell you right now, if you're looking for a fast-paced, action-packed and anime to binge your weekend on then LEAVE RIGHT NOW (or not idk).

World Trigger can be put simply as an extremely slow anime.(Note: Slow does not mean Boring.)

The MC (Osamu Mikumo) show little to no character development in terms of skill and background throughout the ENTIRE anime and ends up just being dead weight. This has left many fans who stuck around week after week extremely disapointed as they were expecting a power upgrade like many other anime's structure their storyline.

Granted, there are times when things get pretty badass and we can fangirl over how cool the characters are but during my run I found myself literally stockpiling episodes each week because that way something would actually happen.

If you like anime's such as Log Horizon then this would be a perfect fit as Mikumo is also the logical type. All in all we never know what we like and what we don't like by reading reviews so i encourage you to at least give this anime a try.

HAPPY BINGEING!

7.5/10 story
7.1/10 overall
modicumcat's avatar
Jul 3, 2015

I'm writing this review just to say - don't be deceived by the first couple episodes. The show gets a lot better after a kind of awkward start, and you'll be glad you stuck through. It's by no means a perfect anime, but it's highly entertaining and very conducive to binge watching - the show creators really know how to leave you wanting more at the end of an episode.

LoserTsuna's avatar
Feb 11, 2018

i started watching this anime, and fell in love with it. i took a break halfway through and right before i decided to start rewatching it, i found out that the author of the series was in the hospital and has been for quite some time, which means the story stopped halfway through and is incomplete. i dont want to be left at a cliffhanger for all eternity, so i decided to start watching it again once the series continues.

lsabells's avatar
Jun 11, 2016

This review is divided such that you can decide what really matters to you in an anime and see if this anime, imperfect as it is, can win you over where it counts.

TL;DR: if you care more about storylines and character development than the look and sound of an anime, watch World Trigger (but give it a few episodes).

The Good: Vibe and Plot

If you're looking for a lighthearted shounen anime with a good balance of relaxed and high-risk conflict and creative means to resolve those conflicts, do it: watch World Trigger. If you need a break from the gore of Attack on Titan or the perverted antics of One Piece or Naruto or the hopeless heaviness of Tokyo Ghoul, come. World Trigger will make you feel better.

It's low-risk. Characters almost always fight in alternate forms that bail out their true bodies whenever they receive a fatal strike. A lot of the later fights are just tournaments meant to train and select their participants. Only occasionally would you have to fret your poor heart about which of your favorite characters might die. It's enough anxiety that you know you're invested but not so much that you grow an ulcer.

It's hard to fear or hate any single enemy. People make bad choices, but they're not pure evil. Some are opinionated and driven in their own ways, and you get to see that honestly...even the bad guys are kind of good guys. Everyone can be justified in their choices. Which is real life. Different perspectives and needs drive different actions, and almost no one is utterly blind or indifferent to others' motives or needs. Everyone can't help but be human. Which makes this anime feel less senselessly depressing.

That's what makes this plot so likeable. It takes its time to develop people's perspectives. It can be slow at times, but honestly, I think the relaxed pace of this anime is perfect for what it's trying to achieve. It has a lot of characters, and those characters need a lot of growth. That growth takes time, and it can't just be physical growth either. The mental changes characters undergo are given just as much attention and respect as their physical development. You can't just gain a new ability and call it a day. People have to expand in their view of themselves, their role in their team, and their place in humanity. The plot take times to nurture that growth.

The Bad: the Minimum-of-Four-Minutes-Wasting-My-Life-Give-Me-Back-My-Youth Reviews per Episode

I wish I were exaggerating.

As all anime eventually do, World Trigger was catching up to the manga. To cope, Toei employed the traditional stalling tactic of fillers and the less traditional yet certainly no less frustrating use of absurdly long reviews. Review the last episode. Review the episode before that. You know what, review the dadgum review of the episode before that. Before you realize it, the opening starts and you mistake it for the ending because it's taken 13 minutes to get there. (A part of the problem is that the new episode starts for a few minutes before the intro kicks in. That's not exactly out of the ordinary, but when paired with a long review that together drag on for half the episode...it raises the question of why.)

The Okay: Animation and Soundtrack

All right, the animation isn't the greatest, but it's certainly far from the worst. For the style of this anime, it was decent. Clean lines, simple designs, and sharp fight sequences. (Okay, some fight scenes leave a little much to the imagination.) But seriously, the fights are so well-planned by the mangaka that I'm satisfied yet even more disappointed that the animation drops the ball a few inches.

Some far away shots make it a little obvious that Toei was just hoping you wouldn't catch how much they've slacked off. But maybe if I hadn't told you, you really wouldn't catch them.

When it comes to sound... Some anime have such great soundtracks and effects that you notice; some anime have such someone-needs-to-be-fired bad soundtracks and sound effect choices that you really notice; and finally, some anime just have sound. You're not rushing to pirate it, yet you're not calling for an exorcism either. That's World Trigger. But I will say this: even if you don't want to download it, the music supports the fight scenes well.

The Awesome: Characters and Battles

There are a lot of characters. I mean Game of Thrones level for number of characters. And the characters are sometimes hard to keep straight in your head, but you really get to know them later on. They're all important and contribute to the good guy's side in special ways. No one is too overpowered, and even the overpowered ones have their fair match. There are also good relationships between the characters that are fun to see. The chemistry is there.

The characters are unique for a shounen because none of the them are dragging a coagulated trail of angsty backstory behind their oh-so heroically cold / cheerful façade of I-can't-let-myself-love-again "strength." Do some of them have bad luck? Yes. Have some experienced tragedies? Definitely. Are some just normal human beings with a knack and interest in protecting the city? Yep. Some have unknown backstories that could turn out in any way, and that's real life, people. Not everyone lost their mother, brother, sister, granny, and pet fish to their psychotic father-turned-evil-scientist-vampire-zombie, okay? And that's perfectly alright.

You know what else is alright? Weak characters. You know what's even better than alright? Weak characters that realistically grow out of their weaknesses. I won't spoil anything. Let's just say that weak characters try to become strong, fail to, and seek out a new way to be strong that won't blow people's minds away in the traditional sense but will be a game changer in their own right. And again, that's real life. They can't all go lifting and come back with special techniques that overpower every enemy and their dead sensei too. No. Sometimes, growth has to be smart even if it's less theatrical.

Speaking of techniques...the battles are also realistic yet fun. Unlike Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul, or sometimes even Naruto, World Trigger characters don't power up on the whim of their fighting spirit or for the convenience of a damsel on the verge of death. They just use the same techniques they have in new and creative ways. After you've been introduced to some of the most commonly used abilities in World Trigger, you can just sit back and watch how characters use these abilities in different combinations for diverse circumstances. The battles actually take planning.

If it's a 1v1, the characters have to outsmart each other or catch each other off guard. If it's a team fight, they have to utilize their team member's abilities better than the other teams do. They have to worry about terrain and weather and adapt to sudden changes. It's really interesting. There are only a couple of hilarious (almost satirical (trust me, when you see it, you'll know)) moments where the person who screams the loudest lands the hardest hit, but the rest of the time is all about wit and foresight. To get to these amazing battles, however, you'll have to watch at least 10 episodes. I know. It takes time. Blame the reviews. But it's worth it. If you want, just read the manga first.

Last Words:

It's a fun anime. It takes time to get into, and if you don't like the way archetypes are assigned, it might take time to adjust. But it's enjoyable overall, and you learn to appreciate friendship.

KillerKittens's avatar
Dec 9, 2015

This anime was on my wont watch list. Can you believe how stupid i felt when i asked my brother what anime he was watching and he told me this?! I honestly couldnt believe i would say wont watch. Some people wont watch this because they look at it and say "Im not expecting much. This animation sucks" (says in cherry boy voice) O.M.G. This story is absolutely amazing. I love the mixture and variety of different characters and personalities. Usually you could expect the type of characters that would appear in a anime but the variety and how different and carefully each character was made comes to my liking. I love how the main characters have to grow and arent automatically holding some secret power that comes by wanting to protect your friends or your hiding your "talent" for some unknown reason. I love it!! You're a fool and have no taste in anime if you dont watch or at least give this a try! I dont care of you only do dubs!!! 😎

Hellix55's avatar
Jun 28, 2019

This is a very good anime with a great story, art is pretty nice. I really liked the anime until it came in; Xeno; involved, seriously destroying such a series in this way, the annoying personality and mistrust of me completely destroyed everything, and in my opinion, very bad for this series.

I really enjoyed it until it appeared.