When Will Ayumu Make His Move? - Reviews

Alt title: Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru

Riverimex's avatar
Sep 2, 2022

“When will Ayumu make his move?”

“Dude, are you blind?”

This would be my reaction to the title of this anime. Ayumu literally makes a move at least three times in every episode! And this is the whole point of this show.

The art is very lovely and the story is wholesome. As you can guess, there is mostly regular high-school romance stuff like festivals, clubs, etc. That’s all I can say about this show, really. If you want to rest your mind and have a smile on your face for the whole 24 minutes, then at least give it a try. If it gets boring, don't hesitate to drop it though.

TLDR's avatar
Sep 30, 2022

Satisfying Conclusion?❌ (hope for continuation)
Emotional?❌
Actual Romance?❓ (theres heavy school crush vibes going on, no romance as of yet)
Actual Comedy?❓ (some rare moments)
Fanservice/Nudity?❌

What is this anime?
Boy likes girl. Girl is in Shogi club. Boy is set on beating her in shogi before he confesses. Except he sucks at shogi. A long road ahead ensues.

Did I enjoy it?
It is entirely what I expected. Nothing out the ordinary except for the shogi setting. A slow burner about school crushes and 2 people getting slowly closer to one another. The usual tropes are there, and nothing managed to surprise me. There aren't any distinctly annoying characters. It's placed in a standard school setting and the kids act like kids should act most of the time. The final ep got my hopes up, thinking there would be a resolution by the end, but alas we must wait for any continuation. Although nothing I've said so far makes this a very inticing choice to watch, I could tell it was a well written story. All the basics were solid. Everything made sense. No facepalms. No cringe. Kept me interested. Found myself invested in their relationship. If an interesting climax and conclusion could be brought about, I can see this as being a good go-to for school romance shows. As it is now though, the only thing that comes to my mind is slightly above average. Exactly what I'd expect from a decent show. Nothing more nothing less. If you only have a limited amount of time for viewing pleasure, I'd recommend checking out other similar shows before resorting to this one, such as "Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!" & "Aharen-san wa Hakarenai", which have slighly more diverse characters. In other words, if you like straight up old-school slow burn romance, this is it for you. The other shows offer a more wacky take on the romance genre.

Oh one last thing. The female designs. A few recent shows have the same thing that irks me good. Their face. 50% of the face real estate is taken by forehead, with the eyebrows taking residence a good 4 inches above the eyes , lost in the vast land that is forehead. Made some scenes look laughable dumb, but can be overlooked. The last show I watched had the same thing. Look at any scene from "Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi". You could land a plane on that mess.

5.7/10 overall
ToeBeans405's avatar
Sep 25, 2022

Cute anime, I enjoyed it for what it is, a pretty typical school romance/school life show. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty solid characters, nice romance, and an overall relaxing watch. If you're into this genre, give it a try. If not, it probably won't be your cup of tea.

Would recommend, but you're not missing out on too much if you decide to skip this one.

krofire's avatar
Dec 5, 2022

Silverlink’s 2022 High School rom-com has a bit of a familiar quality to it. It struck us in episode one that the shogi-obsessed female lead Ayumu Tanaka bore a strong resemblance to the Nishikata character from Shin-Ei’s “Teasing Master Takagi-san”. Likewise, her potential romantic partner Urushi Yaotome looked a lot like Takagi. It is no coincidence as both mangas are written and illustrated by Sōichirō Yamamoto. Ayumu differs in having lavender-coloured hair and possesses a less self-assured personality. Likewise, Urushi has the more dominant personality and specialises in the subtle teasing of the girl whom he is in love with. The couple met at the start of High School. She was a second year recruiting for the Shogi Club and he was a first year. For him it was love at first sight so he joined the club in order to pursue her. As it turns out they are the only two members! He sets himself the challenge of not truly admitting his feelings for her until he beats her at Shogi. The problem is that he is a beginner and she has been playing since she was very young. Still, this does not stop him from making his feelings for her obvious in so, so many different ways. She tries to respond to his cheekiness but fails and descends into blushing. Pretty soon she knows that has fallen for the boy. But when will he make his move?

The story is lightweight, fun and fairly involving. There is a moment when you think that the movements on the Shogi board might be reflected in the plot moves but this doesn’t last. This would have been a nice level of sophistication but it might have lost some of the audience. The narrative quickly moves on to a fairly straightforward High School rom-com yet some aspects are distinctive. His pursuit of her is often explicit and they even date and hold hands in an early episode. The story lacks some of that irritating will they/won’t they dynamic typical of the genre. Urushi knows what he wants and it is within arm’s reach at all times. The audience know this will work. The boy lacks experience but has self-confidence which is nice to see in this sort of character. Quite why he set himself such an artificial hurdle, as a barrier to dating Ayumu, is not quite explained. Maybe it is his pride? We don’t know. The story is aided and abetted by several side-kick characters. There is Takeru Kakuryu who crushes on Sakurako Mikage. She can wrap him around her little finger but their fledgling romance is often rewarding as the two are able to progress it without too many unnecessary communication difficulties. Plenty of humour – yes – but nothing here is dragged out for too long. Then we have the curve-ball character Rin Kagawa who joins the story in the next academic year. She knew Urushi and Takeru from Middle School and assumes they were both in the Kendo team still. She wants to best Urushi at Kendo but settles for the Shogi board where she has the advantage. Then there is Urushi’s best friend Maki who gets heavily involved in encouraging her friend move her romance forward. It is refreshing that the author has moved on from the middle school setting to involve characters who spend less time being embarrassed and teasing each other. Those elements remain yet they are toned down to suit the greater maturity of the main protagonists. If you loved “Teasing Master Takagi-san” then this will suit you well. It sadly lacks the beautiful island scenery of the earlier work and is a little more generic in format. However, it remains a highly enjoyable show from an author/artist with a decent pedigree.

Xnub's avatar
Nov 10, 2022

The best part of this show is how the dense Ayumu with his straight face would always be so blunt when flirting and complementing Urushi, making her squirm and blush. It made for some wholesome and funny moments in their adorable relationship. However, it did get kind of repetitive near the end. As it was always the same gag repeated with little variation. It was fine for 1 cour, but if this gets a S2 they will need to spice it up and add more variation or it will get old and boring.

If it does get that S2 it would be nice to see more of Sakurako x Takeru. Watching Sakurako control and tease Takeru was always a good time lol. They were a bit standalone(ish) for side characters at times and needed more involvement, but still a good pair. I would almost take a show just about them.

Overall it was a enjoyable watch, albeit nothing special. It still manages to keep you smiling the whole time with some decent characters, wholesome moments and lols.

7/10