We, Without Wings - Under the Innocent Sky - Reviews

Alt title: Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai

Komirai's avatar
Jul 11, 2012

I know it's unjustifiable to give an 8 to an anime that has a GOD DAMNED AWFUL FIRST EPISODE but before you hover that mouse pointer on top of the "Not Helpful" vote, please do take the time in actually reading this first.

Harem would probably be my least favored genre as this includes the generic moe/ecchi or whatever fanservice they could come up. I might also disfavor the said genre because of the fans which consists mainly of the typical perverted otaku who faps to his 2D waifu. Nonetheless, I still push myself to watch anime of the harem genre in hopes of finding something different. Though skeptical at first, I was amazed on how Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai turned to be.

First and foremost, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai or simply OreTsuba, is nothing more of your typical harem. It is idiotic. It doesn’t make sense. It leaps from scene to scene. It is filled with generic tropes and stereotypes. It is overloaded with panty shots. It has a cast filled with idiots and perverts. It is absurd. Now most people would jump the gun and say it is nothing out of the generic harem and moe crap we see everyday and drop it at episode 1. That is undeniably true, given the first episode had a huge cast filled with cute girls or moe-blobs so to speak. However, OreTsuba is not one anime that presents its real facet in its premise. It needs a distinct amount of time for a viewer to understand what it’s all about. The outside generic harem appearance is only a means to fool the viewer to think that OreTsuba is one harem badly done but no, there is something much more to it.

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai is based off a visual novel which was developed by the company Navel. Having a visual novel as a source material would mean cute girls that could either range from lolis to the older sister type. Unlike other harem/ecchi anime that won’t mind the appearance of the characters as long as there are panty shots or the so called fanservice to render, OreTsuba is quite more attracting as it had its visuals done neatly and it probably is its selling point. The character designs were very appealing and the backgrounds were fluid. It somehow incorporates real-world scenes to the 2D world of OreTsuba making it have a 3D feel of the background which is quite nice. As for the production value of this anime, I believe it is quite high seeing that the characters and backgrounds were something much more than the usual; even the design of the school uniform was obviously done with effort.

Along with the clean and cutesy character designs would be the truckload of fanservice scenes. There would be no 5 minute that would pass by without a decent amount of panty shots. For having cute and adorable character designs, the fanservice were not as distracting as some might think, in fact it blends in pretty well. I know majority of those who’ve dropped this might be because of the ridiculous fanservice but by all means, try to give it one more chance and if you can see pass through that you’ll see the fruits of it afterwards. As for the pervs who continued watching this, I’m a 100% sure by now that you’ve realized that it actually has a worthwhile plot.

Though it may contain tons of it, this is not an anime about panty shots, it is the story of 3 young gentlemen namely: Takashi Haneda, Shuusuke Chitose and Hayato Narita. Having 3 male leads led to an ef - a tale of memories reminiscence and it is actually how the story goes; 3 young male characters paired with 3 young female characters only in OreTsuba, it is quite less serious, random and perverted.

First off, Takashi Haneda is paired with Asuka Watarai. Asuka is basically the typical campus crush who has no personality or whatsoever only that she acts like a respected princess. As for Takashi, he’s the typical school boy who actually has no personality too except that he’s a good boy and the somewhat cowardly lead. Basically they are cardboard cut-outs which is undoubtedly one of the weakest asset that OreTsuba could display affecting their chemistry which is rather poor.

One of the better couples would be Hayato Narita’s pair with Naru Ootori. Hayato Narita is a delinquent whose friends are gang members and the like. He works exclusively at night doing what other people would tell him to do. As for Naru, she’s the younger sister of a gang leader. She’s a somewhat shy little girl who took interest in Hayato after helping her in finding a lost bike. As the story goes, Hayato and Naru’s pair would look like the cutest with their cutesy and lovely interactions, with Hayato protecting Naru from other people although at the same time the weirdest of the bunch as it is a delinquent paired up with a loli.

The third pair and the best in my opinion would be the pair-up of Shuusuke Chitose and Hiyoko Tamaizumi. Shuusuke works as an article reviewer for a local magazine. He’s the typical boisterous and jolly happy-go-lucky pervert. Hiyoko on the other hand is the serious type of girl who writes novels. As for why they are the best; the anime focused more on their development and as well as for their relationship to enhance. Shuusuke helps Hiyoko achieve her dream of being a successful novelist while at the same time, the feelings of Hiyoko develop more and more for Shuusuke. Watching them both mature, though stupid and nonsensical at times, is really a treat.

Aside from the 3 pairs, there are a lot more characters in OreTsuba. However, not all are of importance as some only serve their roles as mere plot devices. Some if not plot devices serve as a part of the mindless comic relief the anime has. Although it has mindless comedy, that is only for itself, the comedy. As it is backed with stupidity and senselessness, it is deceiving. The plot is actually well thought out or so to say ingenious that needs well analyzing to place in the correct pieces.

As aforementioned, the story rotates around the 3 pairs. There is something much more and this something is very unusual for an anime of this type. As harems are very predictable, throw any expectations in the gutter as this isn’t. Aside from the genre tags which include: Drama, Ecchi, Romance, and Harem; it is missing one more, and this genre is Psychological. First impressions might conclude that it is very predictable. Wait until you’ve reached episode 4 which includes a sudden plot twist and you’ll know what you’re getting. However after that, seeing the first scene at episode 1, some will say that they already know where this is leading but I would suggest keeping your thoughts to yourself because I know the outcome of this anime will leave you in awe because of its unpredictability. It does well in disguising itself as a harem and an idiotic one at that to deceive its viewers in thinking that this is their run-of-the-mill rom-com.

Having started as maybe one of the stupidest anime I have seen, I’m amazed with how it turned the tables with a single deus ex machina done amazingly near the end making everything fall into place. With just one snap and then boom, everything was revealed, everything was answered, everything makes sense. It answered everything completely without any cliffhangers that would require millions of hypotheses to answer.

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai might not be your generic harem but accompanying it is the somewhat generic music. Although generic, they are still highly likeable. The opening song entitled “Spread Wings” by Aki Misato which is cute and lovely which perfectly fits a harem setting. The first ending song entitled “PARANoiA” by the same songstress, accompanied by a video of knights, beasts and RPG-like adventure has quite an easy feel to it while the second ending song “NEVERLAND” is well, just the same as usual which is expected from a harem.

As for the voice actors, some sounded really annoying. Some sounded like someone who’s wearing a nose clip. Some were screechy. As for the remaining others, they were good which is somewhat above average or if not, just average. Along with the voices were the soundtracks. Well, for a loud and crazy anime, it is expected that the soundtracks used were loud and funky as well, which suits the lively and energetic atmosphere albeit sometimes as well as it had its fun moments, it also contains boring and “unfunny” scenes.

It had its dull moments, there are times when it tries too hard to be funny, and there are those times when it’s just plain downright stupid. Looking pass through that, this light and fluffy feathery ride which is called Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai is one unique experience. Predictable and stupid as some might dub harem to be; stupid is true but predictable was nowhere near. A definite must watch for harem fans. Now they have something to brag about harem; that it’s not all about ecchi/moe or anything in between. And as for those who are not into harems (including me), I guess I could safely say that Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai is a “Do not judge the book by its cover” or more like “Harems although of the same feather, do not always flock together… because some of them don’t have wings.”

hoffstyle's avatar
Jun 22, 2012

As an individual who loves to be challenged by an anime, and pick up on a "things are not what they seem" theme, I stumbled across this series by complete accident and dare I say I enjoyed every nonsensical minute of it. We, Without Wings - Under the Innocent Sky isn't good for what it is, it excells at what it hides from you.

It is hard to write this review without spoiling some major plot points but I shall do my best.

In the City of Yanahigara, a seemingly large cast of characters live their lives affecting people that they meet and helping each other out the best they can, but are they hero's from another time and place or just normal folks living day to day? Takashi Haneda wants to leave this world, but is delayed by his duties as Class Representative, Graduation Essays, and his faux girlfriend Asuka Watarai. Shusuke Chitose is quasi-employed charmer who learns about acceptance while working part time at Alexander Restaraunt and bonding with his trainer Hiyoko Tamaizumi who happens to be a published author that Chitose must write a review about for another of his part time jobs at Men's Freeze (a fictional GQ magazine.) Drac is helping Naru Ohtori find her lost bike while dealing with various gang members and street folk along the way. Kobato Haneda is Takashi's little sister, dealing with issues with her brother and trying her best to keep him happy and grounded. Rounding out the main characters are a parade of colorful secondary characters from a very inappropriate little girl, Alice, to party hard Alexander waitresses, Tsundere Class Vice-Presidents, Over excited crushes from afar, a very lecherous restaraunt owner, a Crepe Vendor, and the various city denizens who pop in and out of our cast's lives daily.

Story 7/10

Although We, Without Wings gets bogged down in it's own setting, characters and vast amount of ecchi, there is actually a very compelling story about dealing with emotional issues and self acceptance that taken in context can hit very hard. Every character has demons, and a place to run away to so that they can avoid the pitfalls of thier lives. Oddly most of the characters run away to a fictional fantasy land called Geruda but how does this connect these people who seem to not know each other? How indeed...it isn't until 8 episodes in do we finally get to the truth and if you make it that far, you are rewarded with the gotcha moment that hits your understanding (if you haven't put two and two together or spoil yourself prior). The last 4 episodes deal head on with these issues, and the realization that the series is not so much about the main character Takashi, but about the people in his life and how all these happenings affect them.

Animation 8/10

The contrast between light and dark, night and day, clean schools, and dirty streets do a big job in helping tell the stories. Characters are drawn well, not copy and paste given the vast amount of humanity in the anime that exists. It tells me that the creators cared about every detail, and it works.

Sound 6/10

To be honest, the OP and ED are bland, dime a dozen J-pop tunes. There was a nice Piano Jazz background soundtrack that could have been wonderous if it wasn't mixed so low in everything going on. When the anime shifts into the fantasy world, the music and sound becomes an afterthought. This could have been handles a whole lot better.

Characters 9/10

Where this anime takes a lot of hits, the overwhelming amount of people on screen actually accentuate the busyness of it all. You do not meet anyone who do not drive the main group of characters on, everyone on screen serves a purpose and in essence drive the series. Without them, our protagonists would not have any reason or motivation to live their lives and handle their problems. The secondary/minor characters here are as much of the scenery and given the actual subject matter presented near the end actually make sense in the larger picture.

Overall 7.5/10

Do not read further as I am now going to spoil the series in the overall:

Ready?

Really ready?

Here goes:

This anime deals with mental illness. How and why, I will let you discover on your own. Near the end, it deals realistically with someone who knows they need help and how they go about it. The first step to any kind of recovery is admitting you have a problem, and how this comes about and the who and why the people in their life wants to help is poignant and never forced.

The downside to We, Without Wings is the ecchi. Although I am a fan of ecchi, fan service, boobs etc..this easily could have not been a part of it. There are a couple of scenes that border on out and out hentai, and it was a distraction rather than a welcome addition.

Otherwise, it was an enjoyable experience that I recommend you check out for yourself. However, if you dislike ecchi, or slice of life you might want to steer clear.

Cheers!

corkboard's avatar
Jun 16, 2015

I won't romanticize it; I watched this for the ecchi goodness.  Burnt out after a stretch of serious/emotional anime, I needed something sugary for a change of pace.  You can't write much about this show without spoiling it, so I will just say that the ecchi kept me going for the first few episodes but I would have finished this anime without it.  An intruiging premise and a good story line are peppered with attractive, if two-dimensional, characters and tons of tongue in cheek humor.  So good, and all the more so because I wasn't expecting it.

PokeDeclan's avatar
Jul 14, 2020

It's something really, but it could have used some more fanservice, and it especially could have done more on Asuka. If they're gonna give the main protagonist a girlfriend, they might as well take advantage. Why couldn't it be like Domestic girlfriend. I just hope if I read the manga, it would be more satisfying.

xxSilencexx's avatar
Jun 24, 2011

Finally here comes the end of Spring 2011, and I am watching WAY too much this season, nevermind that this is a review for the first anime I finished this season... Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai or We Without Wings –Under the Innocent Sky-. First of all this is another of those animes like Yosuga no Sora, if you can’t put up with the hardcore ecchi, you won’t watch it, this is clearly apparent in the first couple of episodes of the anime.

We Without Wings is interesting in the fact that the story is similar to that of Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, in the fact that the actual true story doesn’t become apparent until later in the anime, however this was dealt with clumsily and lead to a lot of people dropping the anime due to lack of interest in the story. The later episodes redeem this clumsy story-telling but throwing a timed curve-ball but, as mentioned earlier, this comes in too late. It explores many aspects of society, and delves into to psychological aspects later in the anime. In my opinion, if you can make it through the crappy first 5 episodes, it does a good job at redeeming itself.

Animation:

Very nice animation, and when it did delve into the explicit scene it was censored, so a plus for those who don’t appreciate such explicitness, this however does work against the anime in the earlier episode blatantly omitting fanservice shots with yellow tape, which is incredibly annoying... Yes I know I’m creating conflicting point of view, but I like fanservice not sex. The animation style is sleek and well animated, just like many newer animes.

Sounds:

Not really the best, I mean that added to the intensity but most of the time felt unapparent and dull, nothing truly memorable. Voice acting however plays a very important role in the story and the seiyuu performed this well, many characters were instantly recognisable through their voices, which eased the confusion of later episodes. The Opening and Ending(s) were good, setting the whimsical and happy mood, but littered with hints to the true intention of the story, which strays from whimsical to serious later in the anime.

The large cast of characters is simply overwhelming, and most of these characters are introduced in the first episode, which caused me a lot of confusion and took 3-4 episodes before I started to make sense of it all. The leading males characters: Dora, Shuusuke and Takashi are strong character and are well developed (based on the circumstances) are clearly define individuality in personality... The leading females however, with their quirks, felt too similar to one another and none really stood out as an amazing character. Secondary Character play a large part of the story and everyone seems interconnected (similar to Durarara!) which makes gives it some redeeming points.

Overall:

While not the best anime this season, it was definitely worth watching, though stupid I felt for the character and grasped their situation, this anime I think will be like the H2O ~Footprints in the sand~ debate, some people will think it is absolute crap and others will really enjoy it. I really enjoyed the anime and would recommend to anybody who liked: Chaos;Head, Yosuga no Sora, or H2O ~Footprints in the sand~. It’s one of those animes you take seriously and enjoy or you judge it and don’t enjoy it.

Reviewer’s Note:

If your reading this please tell me what you think ^.^