Vlad Love - Reviews

HexagonWrangler's avatar
Sep 4, 2021

I foolishly went into this anime with high expectations (it's a LESBIAN VAMPIRE anime it couldn't have appealed MORE to me). The character designs were unique and interesting, the art style was nice, a lot of the VAs were in other franchises I was already a huge fan of, the op was beautifully animated, and then the actual anime was just... boring. The same jokes are just made over and over, the most tedious being the real-world references that get dragged out to the point that the anime being self-aware of the fact the joke has gone on for too long just feels like adding insult to injury since they KEEP MAKING THEM EVERY EPISODE.

After episode 7 I did started to enjoy them a bit as stand-alone stories, but I still only watched them because I was hoping that even if the anime was boring, there'd at least be SOME payoff via the relationship between Mai and Mitsuga. I was wrong. After episode 2 any relationship development between the two is just non-existant, romantic or platonic. Even the subtext is so slight that at my most charitable reading it feels more like Mitsuga has a one-sided crush on a 'straight' Mai than anything else (which I guess subverts the 'preditory lesbian vampire' trope in the most useless way possible).

In conclusion I have never been so dissappointed with an anime in my life, it's not even bad in a camp way as to still be enjoyable, and the worst part is that by my own definition it technically counts as 'good art' due to the fact that it invoked such passionate emotional response in me that I not only wrote a 1.5k word rant about it to a friend at 2am after finishing it, but am still angry enough to be thinking about it 2 weeks later.

Mousekateer627's avatar
Aug 23, 2021

The only way I was able to finish this anime without falling asleep or rage quit from boredom was while I went through hundreds of papers at work. Trust me I did not miss anything, it's really hard to give Vlad Love my full undivided attention and at least my time wasn't a total waste.

First of all, this anime has NO YURI OR GL CONTENT  !!  I'm sure the tag was placed by accident and should be removed from this garbage anime. The "subtext"were at best equivellant to throw away jokes you'd expect from girl BFFs. No afffection of any kind between any of the girls what so ever. There were more straight couple romcom crap than anything remotely GL. The human characters are basically just food to the vampire and she mentioned that she preferred the blood of muscular men over women so thanks a lot for ruining any subtext that could be found.

Also, if boredom can be categorized as a crime then the makers of the anime should be areested for life. I can forgive an anime for lacking animation (half the series is still images) and really bland characters if it was at least entertaining but OH MY GOD IT'S SO BORING!!! I feel that the team made it boring on purpose. The anime has an overly polite vampire girl who's doesn't bite people (she has an interesting backstory but "fuck that" said the writers), her personality changes based on who's blood she drinks and a colorful cast of characters who are perverted blood donating enthusiasts. How on Earth can you fail to deliver a fun anime or even a crazy funny parody with that premise?! I'd swear they made the anime BORING ON PURPOSE  !!! The anime had some good jokes in it but my reactions were mostly thinking "Wait, shouldn't I laugh here?" instead of actually laughing. The better jokes were rushed through while the dumber jokes dragged on and on. Maybe I might have laughed if I wasn't alone and sober.

What made the anime boring were the overuse of exposition, "self aware" jokes that are just the team knowing the anime is garbage and the never ending pop culture references not because the writers were lazy but are a list of recommendations of what we should be looking into instead watching this shit anime. Vlad Love only exists purely for the reason the studio can say they have made more than one series.

Personal rant: This is the Studio that's working on Uzumaki.FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE PLEASE DON'T SCREW UP ON THAT ANIME !!!! I hope the studio doesn't treat Uzumaki with the same attitude as Vlad Love.

Don't waste your time with this. Read a few reviews and you've seen the anime without losing 5 hours of your life even if it's free on Youtube unless you just want noise in the background.

iforinsignificant's avatar
May 17, 2021

This was one of my biggest mistakes as it pertains to anime. Someone remove the GL tag from this because that ain't here. This is a pile of shit. I'm so mad at myself for holding out hope for something here. Anyway, let's look at the positives... the OP... and that's it. Everything else is shit. I'm certain more effort was put into the OP than the entire rest of the show and it shows. It is gorgeously animated. If you want to check out anything about this show, just check out the OP. Nothing else is worth anyone's time.

0.1/10 story
0.1/10 characters
1.8/10 overall
Efinate's avatar
Nov 11, 2023

The only reason i watched this series was because i was craving vampire stuff after watching the blood series and vampire in the garden and i was a complete idiot to think this would be good like I watched the first episode when it had an early broadcast way back in 2021 like the 1st episode was actually good but after that with every episode the show got gradually worse and worse to the point i was about to drop it. But i still decided to wait till the end because i thought there will be some GL action but no there was none and this anime is just some vampire in the school but the vampire has no real personality like the show doesn't really focus on our main girl at all other than the fact that the show is about her. At first i thought she was hot headed but no then she became cutish and then she became childish idk how the author was not able to give our main girl a personality like he did with the other characters. It is explained how she takes the personality of people she has drank blood of but even without that she got no personality whatsoever. This show is also the definition of good animation and soundtrack not matching the content it offers. Like the animation and artsyle are kinda amazing with a banger OST giving us the vampire theme but those are just a illusion to the awful content it offers. The jokes are overused a lot and are old af. Overall, this anime is not worth the time and u should watch something else.

Kingsapphic's avatar
Oct 10, 2023

I watched this soley bc it has yuri tags, the animation looked like it might be awesome, plus vampires? Yes. Please sign me up.

But no not only is this anime stupid. This isn't yuri at all idk what the tags are for there is no chemistry here. Zero. And theres more het jokes and references than anything. It also isn't funny or anything. Super disappointed.