Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song - Reviews

Grusomhed's avatar
May 8, 2021

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song is one of the brightest gems, I managed to stumble upon in Spring 2021. Obviously, it has little to nothing to do with idols and it should not be the reason for you to underestimate this anime. Anyways, with this review, I will do my best to explain why Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song deserves to be called a masterpiece.

You know, there are anime, TV movies, literature pieces that might look weird, but with time you understand their amazingness. Since we are here to talk about anime, I will not waste your time and focus on the anime only. You might remember Serial Experiments Lain and if you try to analyze it, you might come to a conclusion that it is some kind of a prophecy. What I mean is that this anime shows a number of things that were completely impossible to implement in 1998, but now in 2021 they look more possible for humanity to make real. In this sense, in my opinion, Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song is very similar to Serial Experiments Lain. But I will develop this idea a little bit later.

NiaLand is perhaps the best place for you to spend your free time in; no matter the age, NiaLand can offer a number of entertainment programs both for the young and the old. NiaLand was able to achieve the title of ‘one of the best’, since it uses technology to entertain the visitors. Vivy, the first autonomous humanoid AI in history, is one of the workers of NiaLand. Her aim is to sing and thus help people forget about the problems for a moment and just enjoy her lovely voice. This changes, however, when Vivy meets Matsumoto, an AI that travels from the future to stop the annihilation of humans that will be led by AI. This is where the story starts and Vivy and Matsumoto will need to fight against the time itself.

Honestly, I adore stories that punch you so hard that you cannot forget the pain for some days. This is exactly what Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song is. When starting watching it, you are very likely to sigh, thinking ‘not another idol anime.’ However, after some time it just changes completely, so that you will not have time to breathe. I think I now hold a world record, because I feel like when watching this anime I was able to hold my breath for 168 minutes. Anyways, enough with pointless jokes. The story of Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song makes sense and answers most of the important questions. Indeed, some of the questions are left behind, but they are left for the viewer to think for themselves. Another thing which is worth mentioning is that Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song is a drama focused anime and I despise forced drama; it is cheap and only shows that you have no talent. Here, however, the anime story perfectly shows how drama should be portrayed.

You know, perfect animation is the animation you cannot describe with words. Animation wise, it is another example of a punch, I was talking about. It starts rather good: character designs look nice and all, but there is nothing unique about it, really. This changes, however, quite soon. Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song did not amaze me with character designs, action scenes, or anything else. What amazed me the most was the attention paid to all the small details and these small details together made an amazingly beautiful picture, which is Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song. Small details make a big difference.

As for the characters, once again I am impressed. Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song- focuses on the two characters: Vivy and Matsumoto. Vivy is not as advanced as Matsumoto, which is very easy to notice when they start conversing. Matsumoto, as a more advanced AI, can do literally anything and on top of that, he is a rap god, because of how fast he speaks. Long story short, this duo works for some reason way too good. Vivy and Matsumoto somehow complement each other, thus making the show that interesting to watch. On top of that, the two are completely different not only in how advanced they are, but also their take on their tasks. (Each and every AI has their task, they are to fulfil. And no matter what, they will do everything to achieve it. This will lead to the main story conflict). This difference between the two characters helps you to see the world of Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song from the two different perspectives, which helps you appreciate the anime even more. Not mentioning the fact that the anime also offers the viewer some great character development.

Do you remember me saying that Vivy: Fluorite Eye's is similar to Serial Experiments Lain. This is exactly so, because what Vivy: Fluorite Eye's is, it is completely impossible to call it just a science fiction. No, what Vivy: Fluorite Eye's shows, it is something that will surely happen in the future.  It is an open secret that human rights today is one of the most troublesome spheres in today’s foreign relations. Now imagine that there will also be AIs that will have an absolutely similar to any human ability to think. Would not that make them human, too? And if so, their rights are to be protected. How will it turn out? Vivy: Fluorite Eye's will show you. What I mean is that technological development is really something you are to be afraid of. Just remembering the world 20 years ago and now is really scary. I think, I mean, no, I am absolutely sure that Vivy: Fluorite Eye's and AI theme parks will become a reality in the near future.

Overall, many of the ideas that have been mentioned in this review will be touched upon in the anime, so I tried to speak as vaguely as possible. Anyways, Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song is one of the reasons why I still watch anime. Sometimes, out of nowhere, you stumble upon such masterpieces and it just is so interesting that you do not want to breathe to miss even a smallest detail. I failed to find even a single flaw about this anime and the most important thing here for me to voice is that Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song deserves to be called a masterpiece, because you will never find an anime similar to it. Of course, there are some somewhat similar examples, but the idea of Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song is absolutely unique, never touched upon in any anime before. With that being said, I am not afraid to give this anime a perfect 10/10, which it fully deserves. What a ride of awesomeness!

Random thoughts:

1) Man this scene was gorgeous and terrifying!

2) When Matsumoto first appeared, for a second I thought it would speak like Glados from Portal.

3) Fukuyama Jun was born in 1978. Wow.

Linebacker's avatar
Jun 15, 2021

One of the most underrated shows this season for real.I'll keep it real short

Story :  I really can't and won't say enough about the story , i'd be ruining it. Got Project harmony type vibes but nothing comes close to what i've seen here.

Animation & Sound : this is it , S++++ Tier sound and Animation similar to what i've seen from Kyoani & Trigger (They're my benchmark for Quality).

Characters : I forgot that vivy was a robot mid series, so yeah that's how good the character development is.

Overall: I was an anti-AI type of person as most humans would be. Emphasis on "was". I mentioned earlier that i forgot that Vivy was an AI.That is how much time we get with the characters .What happens when the AI is more human than you are. What happens when it begins to feel.What happens when you live for a single purpose.What happens when you can't suceed in that purpose. Will you stay on that path or will you make your own. We see them answered through Vivy's journey through time itself.

It was mere luck that i came to even know about this show. The only other show that will come close to this, in terms of similar vibes an all,Evergarden. Loved that , love this. So yeah stop reading this and go watch it . EP 13 can't come out  fast enough

PostCritical's avatar
Jun 16, 2021

This anime is outstanding. I will explain each individual rating to explain it. However, it is best to simply watch it.

Animation:

The animation is amazing. In many fight scenes, you'd expect CG. But no. No CG. It's all fully animated. And it's extremely well animated. Some of these scenes, especially action scenes, are incredible. The "high detail" scenes are also amazing. I've seen very few anime reach this level of quality, and Vivy does it throughout the entire show.

Sounds/Songs:

The sound design here is amazing. The sound of a character running, the echo, the ambient and so on. Distorted voices are also extremely well done, but this is more down to the direction than sound design. Still outstanding. You'll either not notice sounds, or find them amazing. The songs are also great, but knowledge of basic english makes some sections a bit weird, but for no more than 8 words per song.

The characters are amazing, however some or a bit more on the "meh" side of things. This might be due to the anime not being finished as of writing this (ep12 of 13), or the complete opposite... As in, the characters are so investing that I dislike some purely out of the fact I dont like them as a person rather than objectively as a character. Main characters are all great. Supporting characters too. Just like 2 of them I think could be better, but I don't know why.

This is supposed to be the part with soft spoilers. The story is amazing. Since I like sci-fi, I actually have already thought of many topics shown in this story, but these new ideas, at least for me, appear to be of great interest. This story is not half-baked, someone thought long and very, very hard about this.

Following this, the worldbuilding and lore behind everything is amazingly executed. Often, things are implied and never mentionned. The fact it still remains logical and understandable shows that this story is very well developed.

In general, the story and themes explored in this anime are asmuch a success as every other part of this anime.

Overall:

Each point has a common aspect. The direction. The direction of this anime was is amazing and masterfully done. I have seen amazing animes, but none come this close.

If there was a spot above number 1 for best anime of all time, it would be held by Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song. It's in a league of its own; it doesn't deserve to be compared to other normal anime.

Off topic:

Crying counter: 5

Holup counter: 3

"Please don't" counter: 7

You shouldn't be reading this. Of your eyes are seeing anything other than Vivy right now, you're doing it wrong. Go watch it. Have a nice day btw.

Yumisan123's avatar
Jun 15, 2021

Terbaiklah. Aku memang tak layan kalau anime nyanyi2 ni. Tapi Vivy buat aku jatuh cinta. Bagi aku anime macam ni jarang ada. Nyanyi and action. Opening dia pun best dengar