Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll

Alt title: Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou

Add review
dsmith8's avatar
Feb 19, 2020

This movie was a lovely addition to the Violet Evergarden franchise. I am so glad to watch such a beautifully created anime after the tragedy that happened to Kyoto Animation. The quality has not slipped one bit, and seeing this makes me tremendously hopeful for the future of the studio.

As for the movie, the strong points were the animation (as you would come to expect from a KyoAni production), as well as the voice acting and soundtrack. The characters movement and expressions were full of life. The backgrounds and scenery were equally gorgeous, as we got to explore a bit more of the Evergarden world. It was also nice to see some changes to the world as time passed. The returning cast delivered excellent performances. Standouts were the interactions between Violet (Yui Ishikawa) and Isabella York (Minako Kotobuki). The soundtrack was full of lush orchestral arrangements that emulated the emotions that the characters and audience are meant to feel. There were no opening or ending songs for this movie.

Where this movie lacked for me was emotional connection. The story and plot were very well done. However, the emotional climaxes did not connect with me on a personal level like some of the previous arcs have. That was certainly not the case for others in the audience. Muffled sniffles were clearly heard among other viewers, so your personal experiences  will obviously dictate how this movie connects with you. I also hoped the movie would explore more of Violet's backstory, but unfortunately that was not the case. Perhaps the next movie will.

Regardless of the negatives, I certainly enjoyed the movie. If you liked the first season of Violet Evergarden, I definitely recommend seeing this movie. If you havent seen the series, the movie could be seen standalone, but you will be missing a lot of characterization for the minor characters as well as some subtle details. Thanks for reading. Feel free to let me know what you thought in the comments.

- ds

Eiraza's avatar
Apr 21, 2020

This movie is about two sisters who are separated due to the unfair circumstances that is life. Violet is assigned to the older sister and teaches her how to act like a lady. While the older sister, Isabelle, is relucant and irriated by Violet's presence, they eventually break the ice and grow closer. I'd said both girls achieve their first real friendships together and Violet hears about how Isabelle was separated from her little sister.

Violet writes a letter to the little sister and after four years that little sister, Taylor, ends up at the workplace of Violets to be a mailman (mail-lady). This movie takes us on the journey of two people who love each other and how they hold each other in their hearts despite the distance. Honestly makes me think of Violet and Gilbert a little bit.

So this movie was a good addition to the violet evergarden series. It made me cry, though not as hard as some other episodes.

One thing that was exciting was that this movie covers a 4 year time span. I was excited to see Violet after 4 years of being a auto memory doll, because everyone else in her work place had changed the way they look and dress. Unfortunately though, Violet is stagnant against time and looks and dresses the exact same as she did 4 years ago. We did get to see Violet with her hair down more, but I wish she'd try other hairstyles. Also Violet's hair length is sooooo inconsistent. I think it grew after the four year jump, but it was constantly changing. Sometimes it was by her waist, other times it was mid-back again. I just wanted some consistency.

Other then that little nit pick, beautiful animation and as usual, a beautiful story.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
9.9/10 overall
MaxymusPrime's avatar
Apr 6, 2020

If you like the show you will like this side story, its beautifully written and animated. Violet Evergarden is a must for anyone lookinng for a modern classic.

9.6/10 characters
Irishchatter's avatar
Mar 23, 2020

No joke, I really thought this was the 2020 movie that came early but that doesn't matter, it was great that I finally got a proper chance to seeing this side story , thanks to it being uploaded on a particular site (can't say sorry or otherwise it'll be at a risk of site being taken down).

Anyways man...it just felt so good to see a Kyoani anime again, especially seeing Violet Evergarden . It still breaks my heart into millions of pieces when the Kyoani logo appeared at the beginning like seriously, it's just so tragic and heartbreaking that the animators who worked behind the scenes of this anime died during that tragedy.

Thank you Watanabe Mikiko for giving us Violet Evergarden with your amazing art direction 💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓

The fact that the story of Taylor and Amy will make you cry too so get your tissues folks if you're planning to watch this charming powerful side story!