Vatican Miracle Examiner - Reviews

Alt title: Vatican Kiseki Chousakan

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Oct 26, 2017

Positive

*The first thing that I want to compliment VKC for is for them being completely unique. This anime was something totally new in the anime world for as far as I know. I can only remember one other anime that used catholicism or Western religion in general and that was Hellsing Ultimate. VKC felt like a completely new take on mystery anime. Now it was kinda special in terms of storytelling and I believe that’s why this anime wasn’t very popular. But it was quite brave from JC Staff to take on such a new concept and imo they did it well.

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*And my second positive point is that this anime was well researched. For starters the Western Religion. In a Eastern country like Japan, there won’t be a lot of knowledge about Catholicism so learning about all these Western habits and saints and legends will have taken time and effort. Also besides the religious part, all the supporting elements like the science were correct. Now at times it was quite farfetched. At the end of the first arc they pushed it to the limit. What they used there was extremely farfetched but technically possible.

Negative

*Now besides the fact that the storytelling in VKC could have been better, told with more excitement, my largest problems occurred with Ryouta, Hiraga’s brother. First of all, the relationship between the brothers could have been used more. During the middle part of the anime, it’s completely neglected. And this could have been the excitement or the drama that this anime needed to become a lot more interesting. They would have made much better use of this relationship if there was constant development throughout the entirety of the anime.

*And my second negative point was what happened all the way at the end of the anime. Without going into spoilers, why that one character did that one thing to Ryouta is a complete mystery to me. There was absolutely no reason why that character did what he did, it was even contrary to who he was in this anime. That was something that I had a lot of questions about when the final episode ended.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, as an experiment, I think JC Staff was quite successful with VKC. Now it wasn’t a great anime and not one that I would really recommend watching but it was something new and refreshing in the world of mystery anime. So overall I’m going to rate Vatican Kiseki Chousakan at 3 stars, an average score. I can see why this anime wasn’t enormously popular but overall it wasn’t that bad. Not a much watch but if you want a fresh take on mystery then go for it.

newman's avatar
Oct 12, 2017

Well what is there to say this show was not very good. The series is slow and boring. The religion aspect is way too played out, and I’m pretty sure the main characters are gay… nothing wrong with that, but it plays out kind of weird with all the religion stuff in the background.

The animation isn’t very good, and the story line is jumpy and hard to understand. The animation is poor. And the voice acting it passable at best. The hole Vatican special miracle investigation, would have been a cool plot line but they dropped the ball. Also like I said earlier the main characters are way too close for being fathers for the church. The story basically revolves around what seems constant corruption in the churches around the world.

This one is a skip for sure and I feel like I will never get the time back that I wasted watching this. The plot is full of holes. The characters are not likeable. The story is just about slamming the catholic church not religion but the corruption centered around it. All said and done I give it a 3.5.

3.5/10 overall
MiaKitsu's avatar
Apr 15, 2022

Why you should watch Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) anime? / Zašto pogledati Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) anime?

English language: If you love mystery, then you will surely like this. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) is an anime in which two priests explore “miracles” together, revealing incidents and conspiracies hidden behind them. When I found the anime, I was a little skeptical if it would turn out as well as it seems. Although the description seemed interesting to me, I couldn’t imagine what it would look like because anime aren’t usually about the church and the Vatican. This in turn made the story more interesting. When I started watching it, I was really blown away. Since I otherwise love mystery, this anime is really well done. These “miracles” themselves are a mystery that the main characters need to unravel. They investigate them using traditional detective techniques based on science and one’s faith in God. The episodes were very interesting to me. Sometimes they used to be difficult for me to solve whether the "miracles" were real or not. Every “miracle” is happening in different parts of the world. This also affects the background of the "miracles" themselves, which were diverse and unique. I like that the cases are part of the puzzle of the whole plot in anime. Apart from the mystery, there is a lot of drama and supernatural. As far as faith is concerned, the anime also managed to portray it perfectly. It especially managed to portray the dark side of religion. The end of the anime might shock you. I did not expect such an end at all.
I rated the anime with 10/10. I liked the story which was interesting and impressive. For the "miracles", they cited scientific reasons for solving them. I like the animation. It's a mystery, which I love to watch. Anime is really exciting and I think whoever watches it will want to know more after each episode. I watched it all at once, for that very reason. The only thing I don't like is that there are no more seasons, of which they could have done more. Especially because one part seems unfinished. Whoever watches will know about which character it is. If they make a second season I will be happy to watch it. I would recommend it even to those who are not Catholics, because if you like mystery, I think this anime will be as great for you as it was for me. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) is a combination of mystery, supernatural, drama, history, fiction and church. So far I have not watched a similar anime and that is why it is unique to me. That’s why it’s one of the best I’ve watched.
_____________________________________________________________________

Hrvatski jezik: Ako volite misteriju, onda će vam se sigurno svidjeti ovo. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) je anime u kojem dva svećenika zajedno istražuju "čuda", od kojih otkrivaju incidente i urote skrivene iza njih. Kada sam pronašla anime, bila sam malo skeptična hoće li ispasti tako dobro kao što se čini. Iako mi je po opisu djelovao zanimljivo, nisam mogla zamisliti kako će to izgledati jer animei inače nisu o crkvi i Vatikanu. To je samim time učinilo priču zanimljivijom. Kada sam ga počela gledati, stvarno me oduševio. Pošto inače volim misteriju, ovaj anime je stvarno dobro odrađen. Sama ta "čuda" su misterija koju glavni likovi trebaju otkriti. Istražuju ih koristeći tradicionalne detektivske tehnike utemeljene na znanosti i nečijoj vjeri u Boga. Meni su epizode bile jako zanimljive. Baš su mi ponekad znale biti teške za riješiti jesu li "čuda" stvarna ili ne. Svako "čudo" se događa u različitim dijelovima svijeta. To utječe dosta i na pozadinu samih "čuda" koji su bili raznoliki i jedinstveni. Sviđa mi se što su slučajevi dio slagalice od cjelokupne radnje u animeu. Osim misterije ima dosta drame i nadnaravnog. Što se tiče vjere, i to je anime uspio odlično prikazati. Pogotovo je uspio prikazati mračnu stranu religije. Kraj animea bi vas mogao šokirati. Uopće se nisam nadala takvom kraju.
Anime sam ocijenila sa 10/10. Svidjela mi se priča koja je bila zanimljiva i impresivna. Za "čuda" su navodili znanstvene razloge po kojima bi ih riješili. Sviđa mi se animacija. Misterija je, koju obožavam gledati. Anime je stvarno uzbudljiv i mislim da tko god bude gledao, da će nakon svake epizode htjeti znati više. Ja sam ga odjednom pogledala upravo zbog toga. Jedino mi se ne sviđa što nema više sezona, od kojih su i mogli napraviti više. Pogotovo jer se jedan dio čini nedovršenim. Tko bude gledao, znati će o kojem je liku riječ. Ako budu napravili drugu sezonu rado ću je pogledati. Preporučila bih ga čak i onima koji nisu katolici, jer ako volite misteriju, smatram da će vam ovaj anime biti odličan kao što je i meni bio. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) je kombinacija misterije, nadnaravnog, drame, povijesti, fikcije i crkve. Dosad nisam gledala sličan anime i po tome mi je jedinstven. Baš zbog toga mi je jedan od najboljih koje sam gledala.

LailanD's avatar
Jun 14, 2021

Mixed Religion with Science. I wasn't really into religion or Christianity, however, this anime not only did enhance my knowledge of it but also made me like it more. It was overall really awesome. I found it before also but hesitated to watch it. Really glad God gave me this anime. Awesome graphic arts, op & ed themes, and characters.

Most greatly, the main characters were really, really, really gay for each other... But that's where my fun began! I loved it! I really love all those strong BL hints they showed.

This anime is fantastically one of my most favorite and the only unique non-BL with enormous and stagger BL hints. Loved it to heart.

Wonderful work. Really recommended to everyone. Moreover, strongly recommended to people who are out of BL anime (like me) to watch it. At first, I couldn't believe there would even be the slightest hint, but... yeah, I got my outcome of doubting it XD they were too gay.. man, looking, no, staring into each others' eyes for too long, so cute~ <3

Also, ending point: This anime greatly showed respectful phrases and acts towards God and religion, I really appreciate J.C.staff for doing that.