Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love 1000%

Add review
Siennak's avatar
Jun 26, 2019

Overall the anime was fine. The music was good. But personally the concert song in the first season was better, in my personal opinion.

The reason I gave this a lower score is because of the audio editing. Especially during the concert scenes at the end of the season. This applies to both this season and the first season.

The audio was absolutely awful. The screaming fans were the main audio sound. No matter how much louder you made the tv, the most overbearing sound is the fans screaming that you can barely hear the song. Now I know the song is performed during the credit scenes for all the other episodes, but doesn’t mean I don’t want to enjoy the full concert either. The audio editing ruined it for me personally.

I know I sound nit picky, but what’s the point of having a music based anime if you can’t even hear it to begin with.

SreeAnimeFan's avatar
Jun 5, 2018

One of the really good music anime I've seen, with nice characters and smooth animation. It surely improves as the seasons go on, but for now, let's stick to the first season. I'm honesty disappointed that the protagonist, Nanami Haruka, isn't as confident as she appears in the visual novels, but the anime version isn't bad either.

The best thing about this anime is that every episode features a song. Its refreshing, the animation is great, and the voices are pure bliss. Other than that, I think that the series's appeal comes from its characters...

Shiann148's avatar
Jul 3, 2016

This was a really amazing anime!!! I loved everything about it. The songs made me soo happy!!! They are really catchy!!! The anime characters are really cute too!!! The entire anime was soo magical!!! It was totally worth the watch!! The entire season is really cool,magical,and really loveable!! So should totally watch it.

AlmaChan's avatar
Feb 29, 2016

I really enjoyed everything but the heroine really ruined it for me, that girl is just so fucking annoying it's unbelievable how irritating she is. She's so weak, innocent (in an ignorant annoying way) and just a real crybaby.

Besides her, I found the other characters really lovely and enjoyable because along with them being funny, clever, charming and cool they showed some real character development throughout the anime which was really nice to be a part of as a viewer.

Overall, I recommend it but keep in that the heroine is a real pain.

9.5/10 animation
ffcfran's avatar
Oct 14, 2014

Okay I was not a big fan of the animation but it was good otherwise. The music throughout was great, some soothing, some upbeat, but completely addictive. In fact one of the reasons I continued to watch it was the music. I loved the opening and closing music as well. The main character, well she annoyed me and was my least favorite out of everyone. Her harem consisted of my favorite characters. All those personalities brought together and meshed to make amazing music. The story is interesting and progressed fairly steadily. Overall its worth a watch.

Rancel's avatar
Apr 17, 2014

This anime is my 2 favorite anime because the charaters are well drawn and the plot itself is intersting.this anime is about a girl named Nanami ( i think this is how u spell her name) who goes to a music school because she loves playing the piano. she meets 6 handsome guys who she kinda helps out and they help her out. they all fall in love with her and ask her to be there parner but she can onlyn choose one. In the end she chooses all of them and they create a very lovely song. Maji love 1000%. (u can hear it in You Tube).  Sorry my english is not very good

9.5/10 story
snivets's avatar
Aug 5, 2013

UtaPri is an extremely light series. It was very pleasant and easy viewing, and didn't have any glaring flaws despite its very stereotypical reverse harem nature. Basically, a plain girl with no obvious talent makes it into prestigious school for idols and entertainers, actually has lots of talent, makes friends with a bunch of hot guys who all try to get her to be their exclusive composer, eventually causing them to form a 6-man idol group.

Story: I ranked the story 4/10 for predictability and cheesy moments, the kind where I rolled my eyes and said, "Am I really watching this?"

Don't let that fool you--the story sets itself apart from many anime of its kind by not having any romantic development whatsoever. I've seen some people complain about the dearth of romance, but I see it as a story move which served to deepen the actual relationships between the characters, hopefully in a set up for romance (which I hope the second season contains more of, or at least teases you in that inconclusive shoujo way). Deep relationships lead to more believable romance, so I guess I see it as a redeeming aspect of the show, rather than something that detracted from my enjoyment of it.

Animation & Sound: Yeah, MC's eyes are pretty weird. Sound is fairly cutesy and somewhat annoying, songs aren't bad or good, just stereotypical cheesy pop with questionable English thrown in. My favorite voice was the principal's, mostly because his over-the-top speech habits were actually consistent but his character wasn't overused, appearing at the exact right moments and never for too long.

Characters: The male characters all have slightly more personality than most flavor-of-the-week bishounen, which is refreshing. The main female is still plain and somewhat annoying, but its rare not to get that in reverse harems.

Overall: I have no idea if this show was good or bad, but it was definitely easy to watch. Probably a good choice if you like reverse harems, shoujo, or shows about idols.

kanamekakashi's avatar
May 28, 2012

I know, in a way, we all love stereotypes. So if you like the male caracters in ouran highschool host club, you might appreciate this story, or be let down by the missed potentiel of this serie.

This is a romance prohibited shoujo (as the teacher says at the start of the story). And no, this is not a trending and doki doki prohibited romance, there is no romance at all. They choose to concentrate the action on music which is fine, but they never used the music material they presented : two violonists, a guitarist and a saxophonist. The composer, who is supposed to be really good, only writes boring or cheesy songs without, of course, any instruments even though she plays piano. So in the end, it sounds cheap. (And i'm rough because they did better in Angel beats or kaichou wa maid-sama even if they are not "music tagged anime'')

Also, the main female caracter is seen by her friends as a kind, air headed, and a hard worker, doing her best in all circomstances. The problem is that she is presented to us, viewers, as a depressing friend, a cry baby and a stressed agoraphobic. Despite her great appereance, she has creepy eyes and no, you won’t get used to it.

I did not understand why they were shintoists allusions with ‘‘magicals’’ sceneries and white birds showing the path of love/friendship. Let’s not forget Cecile, the talking-arabic-or-indian-from-west-cat-with-a-purple-tattoo who has a bigger role than the only girl friend Nanami has.

But hey, what do we have to say, there is so few reverse harem....

1.5/10 overall
CaptainAwesome's avatar
Jan 27, 2012

Overall I wish I could only speak positively of this anime, since it was in fact a bliss to watch. It held very great music, which I'm not presented with too often, the story was agreeable, though much likely that of La Corda D'oro which also includes a clumsy, half-dumb girl who per luck gets accepted to a music academy and gets to study with a bunch of handsome boys, whom she either falls in love with (all of them) or they all fall in love with her.

And somehow she's able, as the absolutely first and only person in the entire world, to understand their terrible lives and fears. I'm not the type for harem-anime, which we must admit this anime strongly is, which is also a clear answer to why it's been made into a dating sim game.

But I digress, what I want to talk about is the main character; as I already stated she's clumsy and not too bright, perfect for this kind of anime actually, but of course she also lacks talent, which leads to her passing the entrance exam to this so-called music academy, by accident or luck.

In my eyes she's a complete and utterly Mary Sue character. To begin with she's unable to read music and notes, she had only been able to play the piano in a somewhat descent way, but her willpower is so great that she's able to learn this hard skill in only one lousy day.

Come now, nobody is able to learn something like that in just a single day, no matter the amount of will, it's generally impossible.

Not to mention the character's design, the other students (of course) looks pretty normal, for what is normal for anime characters mind you, and so does the boys.

Haruka Nanami, as her name is, has the creepiest, most yellow, cat-like eyes you can ever imagine. I don't know what went wrong in the designers' heads when they gave her eye-colour, but it's so psychedelically green/yellow that you won't be able to look at the girl without thinking; "What sort of toxic waste did you grow up next to?"

The design is original of course, but completely unrealistic, still considering we're talking anime, entirely because of her stunning eye-colour I branded Nanami as "ugly" the first time I saw her. It was indeed unbearable.

And the fact that she's able to be so understanding towards the boys and their problems, I must admit, somehow ticks me off. Anime creators has this liking to make flawless heroines I've noticed, and if they actually have flaws (well, I've pretty much already stated them) they're just klutzs and lightheaded. In a sense I'm surprised these girls are actually liked in the series - and Nanami is no difference.

Don't be mistaken though, the best part of this anime other than the copied storyline as well, is the music, no sarcasm added this time.

I think the male voice actors did an incredible job, and I've been watching a load of musical anime in my time, this one I should say beats them all.

The animation is lovely - Nanami's peculiar design excluded - the boys looks handsome indeed, I'm personally having a hard time figuring out which one I like the best.

The dancing however looks absolutely bizarre to anyone watching, before I saw the anime I was able to see the "music video" of the boys dancing and I practically began laughing right away. It consists of several odd jumps and arm movements, which would put any real life pro. dancer to shame. I have no idea who thought that coreography, or whatsoever, up.

There are some great animation effects included though, during the soundtracks, that I was really impressed by; the opening scene is a fine example.

I won't be giving high rates however, entirely because of the story and characters, had it been a bit different I might've reconsidered. But hey, there making a second season, I still have time to change my mind and so do you.

LadyFate's avatar
Jan 9, 2012

I was really suprised by this anime. I was not expecting much from it. I almost didn't watch it. While it was not award winning, I really enjoyed watching it. It was only 12 episodes, so I didn't have time to get bored with it. The characters are fun and charming and the music was fantastic. There was no real romance here, but it still gave off a good reverse harem vibe. The main charater was actually my least favorite, but all the good male characters helped support the anime.

If you are looking for somthing short and fun with good music and handsome men, this is it.

yasmin09's avatar
Dec 15, 2011

Story: Allow me to describe the banal unoriginalty that these series chose to hurl at the clearly preteen female demographic. This series revolved around a stereotypically bland generic female (i.e. kind and optimistic with no other defining traits) who chose to attend a music academy so she could write music for some superstar she heard one song from that forever changed her life and then has a splew of males who fall in love with her (Shoujo Theme 2: Kindness is all it takes for guys to fall in love with women). Afterwards, there exists some typical petty drama that arises from love hexagons (heptagons?) and then they get to strive toward their pop idol dreams, one cheesy and lame song after another. This anime was worse than I expected. Sure, I expected a bland female that was just there to push the bishounen males to their dreams all the while somehow following her goal as well, typical awkward scenes between all the males and her particulary in beautiful brochure-like locations (moonlight by the pool, grassy field with a slight breeze, country side with a rainbow, etc), cheesy dialogue and scenes repeated in all shoujo, lame attempts at humor, failed attempts at character development, and the predictable ending. What I did not see coming was the embarrasingly bad songs and dances that were actually laughable, the bizarre and random cat episode, or the president's acid-trip-like reaction to their music. However, this was thoroughly unoriginal for the most part.

Animation: Typical yet odd seems like a good way of describing the animation. The background and scenery was nicely colored and designed with nothing too out of the ordinary. Characters, on the other hand, were not. They had varying crayola hair colors and styles to distinguish one from another with the main female having bizarrely creepy yellow eyes. Even the clothing was strange and almost comical in an attempt to be stylish and attractive. It looked just like a video game turned anime, and it was not really done all that well. Unlike The World God Only Knows which was meant to have that kind of an appearance since it satirizes dating sims games, this anime was not and so the animation did little to enhance the series.

Sounds: Generic (and humourous) boy band music and forgettable score. The opening and ending were catchy and comical but not memorable. The rest of the music was not memorable either. They either made me laugh by horribly lame they were or left me feeling embarrassed that females actually swooned over this.

Characters: All were cliche, cookie-cutter characters. There's the kind optimistic yet frail female who unites the males and garners their love, long-haired saxophone playing flirt, red-headed enthusiast, quiet and serious blue-haired male, fashionable male, misunderstood idol trying to achieve some dream, random guy with glasses with a double personality, cat boy, over-the-top president, transvestite, cheerful female best friend, caring grandma, pressuring father, and the list goes on. Nothing original here.

Overall: Those who like shoujo but have seen little, those who love all shoujo, or those who love fluff romantic entertainment might find this to be a good series. Those who have seen a few know that this anime has little to no redeeming qualities. Watch this for some laughs at the ridiculous songs and dances and incredibly lame plots. This would even be okay for those who want a mindless but clean kid-friendly series with little to no substance that does not offend. Those who want something of substance and originality, just steer clear. The only reason I saw the entire series was so that I could offer a justified reason/review for why no else should.

2.5/10 story
nasreen10's avatar
Dec 13, 2011

Story: I didn't have too many high expectations on this series. It's based on a game. Imagine the game in anime form basically. Lackluster girl surrounded by "dreamy" guys in love with her for little/illogical reasons. However, one major plus, this is so bad that it's funny. It's so bad that it's actually hilarious. It's hard not to laugh so it's not all for nothing.

Animation: Bishounens. That's the major appeal of this series. Bright and bold colors with a pleathora of "hotties" so that you don't run out of eye candy. A great variety to look at especially if you have a preference, you'll find it. The movements were weird and didn't flow quite right. They looked awkward especially when dancing and playing instruments. Also, the main girl has a most freakish looking eyes. It's just bizarre.

Sound: Songs are catchy. Seiyuus are ok except the main girl's voice is irriating. Not much else which is sad because this series is about music.

Characters: Lackluster and stereotypical. If you're looking for cookie cutter characters, you got them. The relationships are shallow and the actions are predictable. However, they can be highly amusing.

Overall: So bad it's funny. Watch with comments on and you can't not laugh. Also, plently of eye candy. Those are the only two good things going for this series.

daysie1234's avatar
Sep 25, 2011

The final episode was posted online this morning, and it provided a fitting ending, though I would like to see more. This show is about a girl who goes to a music/idol academy to become a composer. Along the way she meets six guys who end up being her best friends and she ends up composing music for them. If you like shoujo, and love reverse harem with lots of bishies running around then you'll love this. The main characters eyes are kinda creepy (yellow, really?), but once you get past that, she's pretty cool.

The story was pretty simple... chick likes music, chick goes to school for musical training, meets a bunch of dudes, ends up being their composor for their performing group. The show tried to incorporate a weird god called Muse into the story, and it really didn't make sense. I believe it was an attempt to explain where Haruka got her talent from, but it was only mentioned like twice and then never mentioned again. There was no real romance or adventure going on in here, just a girl who overcomes adversity and inspires others to do their best.

Animation:

I actually really liked the animation. It was very vibrant, lots of colors that stood out. And it wasn't like the animation stopped being awesome half way through. The entire show is colorful and the animation, I thought, made it very enjoyable to watch.

Sound:

The sound for this show was AWESOME. Literally every song was catchy and fun to hear and they left a very good impression on me. The insert songs for each character were great, and the opening and ending were very catchy too. Below, I've linked a couple of the songs for you to listen to. I understand everyone has different music tastes, but I felt that the songs really stood out and just rocked.

The Ending (my favorite):

Jinguji Ren's Insert Song (SAXAPHONE AWESOMENESS!):

Ittoki Otoya Insert Song (my second favorite):

http://gendou.com/amusic/?filter=Uta+no+Prince-sama+%7EMaji+Love+1000%25%7E has full length songs which you can download for free, as long as you follow their terms of use.

All the characters were pretty unique in their own way, and I liked almost all of them...except for the Headmaster, who's a total creepster who constantly substitutes in English, as if people who speak Japanese are supposed to automatically understand what he's saying...

This is the main female character, Haruka, whom the story focuses on. Her eyes creep me out, I really would not have gone with yellow for a characters eyes. She's your generic shoujo girl who messes up in the beginning and gets stronger as the show goes on. She leaves an impression on her friends at the academy because she is so kind and giving. Her backstory is that she had fragile health as a child and because of that, she had to live with her grandma in the country. This allowed her to learn to play the piano and her goal is to have her idol, Hayato, sing one of her songs that she wrote, which is her main reason for going to the Saotome Academy.

This is Ittoki Otoya, he's gorgeous and my favorite out of all of the male characters on the show. The show does not go into a backstory for him, however.

This is Jinguji Ren, he's a beast at saxaphone. No really, he is, and his insert song is awesome. His backstory is that he's a rich guy and his mother used to be an idol. When she died, his father threw out everything that had to do with her idol lifestyle. He is attending Saotome Academy because his family believes it's in the best interest of the family to have him be their poster child. He's a huge flirt.

This guy saw Haruka singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to a bunch of kids while it was snowing one day and decided to become an idol. Totally random. He's the silent, brooding type (think Kyoya from Ouran Host Club). He, like Jinguji is also a rich dude. They're roommates, actually and have been "friends" since they were young.

This is the teacher for Haruka/Otoya's class. He is actually a male, but he's super cute and always pushes Haruka to try harder.

There's several other characters, but I don't feel like writing a book about them. If you're interested thus far, you should check out this show. I loved it and I hope it gets a second season.