Tsurune

Alt title: Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudou-bu

Add review
GenericUsername's avatar
Jan 21, 2019

Minor spoliers included! Anime only, I haven't read the novel!

In Tsurune, we are thrust into the world of Kyudo, the Japanese martial art of longbow archery. The passion for this martial art really comes through, and it's an enjoyable watch to see our main character, Minato, face his tribulations to reclaim his love for it. The main issue I have with the story was in regards to the development of characters (see Characters below). 8/10

As with most anime by 'Kyoto Animation', Tsurune is full of very beautiful animation. This is consistent through out the whole anime, with some absolutely stellar shots as a nice surprise. Tsurune really uses animation as a medium to tell a story unique to a sport like archery, with beautiful shots of slow-mo flying arrows and flowing hair. The background is consistently charming in it's portryal of the orindary world, but no less pretty for it. Character design was also very well done. There were definitely times when the animation took my breath away. 9/10

The music featured in Tsurune suits the beautiful visual style very well. The voice acting was well done, suiting their respective characters. 8/10

The main characters we get to know are the boys from the Kazemai High School Kyudo Club, namely, our protagonist, Narumiya Minato as well as Takehaya Seiya, Yamanouchi Ryohei, Kisaragi Nanao and Onogi Kaito. Each character is distinct and has their own time to shine. However, the character development that occurs seems quite fast. This is due to the short 13-episode nature of the anime, which doesn't lend itself to giving each character the time to develop properly. Considering the emphasis put on teamwork, especially in the second half, it makes this theme seem slightly superficial.

Other significant characters include the team's coach, Takigawa Masaki and the club's teacher, lovingly referred to as Tommy-sensei. There are also three girls on the Kazemai Kyudo team, and I wish we could have learnt more about them! Minato's childhood friend, Fujiwara Shuu, serves as a sort-of rival, and all though we don't too in depth into his character, the traits he does display I found interesting, especially with respect to Shuu's attitude towards Minato. The rest of the rival team didn't really have the time to be properly introduced, but we did meet some quirky characters. 7/10

Overall

I quite enjoyed watching Tsurune, and going through Minato's journey with him. It was a visual pleasure, and fun short anime to watch! 8/10.

Ebonyslayer's avatar
Jan 21, 2019

My first time seeing an archery anime, and as it turns out, quite an enjoyable one!

Story- The story focuses how Minato, the main character, who has fallen out of a sport he once loved, and the process he goes through to get back into archery. And at the same time, its also a journey for the archery team as they learn to overcome their problems and work together as a team.

Animation- The animation feels smooth from the every day life to the shooting of an arrow as it hits its target. The design of the characters feels natural and gorgeous to look at, not in a way that feels overdesigned.

Sound- From the pulling of a bowstring to the barking of a dog, everything feels well timed.

Characters- I think one the best parts of the show is how the main cast of characters are portrayed. We have Minato, Seiya, Keichan and all the other guys. Whenever a problem shows up for the character, its not easily resolved and some will pile up before the characters can solve it. It feels realistic and also belieable in a setting that feels relatable to real life. And Minato reached that point of growth with his character that felt so satisfying. One of the best highlights of the anime.

Overall- Part of the reason why I'm satisfied with the anime is because it got the bad taste out of my mouth that the Badminton 2018 anime gave me. You need a protagonist who feels human, who has felt failure, but also follows their own path and is able to come back on their own two feet without coercion. That is what Tsurune did right in opposed to the Badminton anime. Its my hope that people can give this series a chance cause I was impressed!