Trigun: Badlands Rumble - Reviews

RicanRevolter's avatar
Aug 11, 2011

Story - If your a Trigun fan, than you will not be dissapointed with this wonderful addition to the series. It lies somewhere towards the end in the series chrnologically (if your wondering). The story is interesting and at no point did it lose my attention. Granted, it really does feel like a really long episode at times, but a really good one that captures the atmosphere that Trigun had back in its day. My only qualms with is that is felt some characters got more spotlight than others; a small problem (and maybe im just being selfish and wanted the movie to keep goin...) Also, you need to have watched some of the episodes to really get a feel for who these characters are and some of the plot to get the full effect. Its a 9.3 out of 10

Animation - Well if youve seen some of Madhouse's most recent work, than youll know what calibur of work they put up. I have nothing to say here except its a 10 out of 10

Sound - The sound effects of the bullets, the destruction from the stampede, the epic music... and the great seiyu to accompany the characters, same as the originals. I cant wait to hear the english dub too. I'm betting itll sound just as epic. 9 out of 10

Characters - Of course Vash and the insurance girls are back, and we delve more into Vash's past...However, the movie's real stars are Gasbeck and Amelia in terms of great characterization and as a driving force for the plot. Although, the best moments come from Wolfwood and Vash when together. Overall, Trigun's characters are awesome as always. 9.5 out of 10

Overall: It gonna be a 9.5 out of 10

9.3/10 story
9.5/10 characters
BlackThorne's avatar
Jan 18, 2013

Trigun was like a vacation or holiday, that you never weant to end. Trigun: Badlands Rumble is like the first day of school, when you have to go to that "ugly, old" building full of memories from summer. You have to sit down and start listening to some old fart, who pretends to speak about something interesting. But suddenly you realize that you are naked and everybody is looking at you. At that moment you wake up in cold sweat and out of breath. You look at you calendar just to find out you have still some days left.

Just to be clear, and without any comparsions, Trigun movie was just awesome. It's expansion of amazing universum and one of the top anime you'll ever see. And in BluRay!

Vash is the same silly-willy kind of plant we used to love, Wolfwood is still way cooler than many of "sidekicks" we are usually served and pair of insurance agents Meryl and Milly is playing just second violin (as we say in Czech Republic, basically they are minor characters here :D), what more we could wish for. Oh I almost forgot. There's one new smoking hot, that kind you don't even think of inviting to prom night (and with little exaggeration, almost only woman in town) and apparently man-alergic girl, Amelia-chwaaan! Of course that Vash can't leave her alone and their chemistry is great.

If you are Gunsmoke virgin you can watch this movie too. It has not so many references to anime because characters are clearly introduced and their relationships are not of much importance. You can just go with premise, that they know each other and that's all you need.

For that matter, Trigun: Badlands Rumble is great and there's no way around it and you can certainly watch it aside from the series, but as stand alone film you won't have the same feeling, because you won't come back to something you like and for some is always good to know some background for characters and universum. As clearly as I can say it, you won't get it here. On one side it's good, because it means that some of you will watch original series, but on the other side for some it can be a drag down.

FINAL OVERVIEW: Basic story isn't really something. It's story about two revenge and how it can mix up when Vash is on the stage. It's more about atmosphere and how the story is told than the story itself. In the characters section I valued them based on series, I admit it. As I try to be objective I can't substract myself from original Trigun. You may not found them as deep or characterized as you want to. My only advise is go and wacth the original.

Animation is on top level here, details won't change characters or background. Fights are fluent and nice to watch. Sound and music are as western should have.

So, if you like space cowboys and scifi western in general, this is the place. Just preapre good horse, get yourselves pair of guns, put some of your money in the boots and keep change for water machine in desert and you should be fine.

Rbastid's avatar
May 27, 2015

Thirteen Years after the original series, Badlands Rumble tries to recapture the brilliance of one of the top Five Anime title of all time, but can they in just Ninety minutes?

Story - 4/10

Just a heads up, there may be some spoilers here as you can't talk about the faults of the series without bringing up a few little surprises. You've been warned.

Vash is back to his old tricks again, trying to save the world while not hurting a fly, but this time he'll come face to face with the consequences of his actions. Twenty years after saving a notorious robber from being double crossed by his crew, Vash finds himself in a town controlled by those former thieves, and the man he saved, Gasback, is out for revenge (he sure took his time.) Word is out about Gasback's arrival, so the Bernardelli insurance agency sends its two best to insure the safety of the towns prized statue, which is insured at five billion double dollars, and of course those agents just happen to be Meryl and Milly. Also heeding the call of his arrival are the best bounty hunters around, all hoping to get paid to protect the city, and maybe just catch him for the extra loot.

Along with those bounty hunter is a beautiful girl that catches Vash's eye. Now for long stretch of the show Vash follows her like a puppy, he learns a bit of her cliche backstory and the writers use all this drivel to pad the movie with fluff.

In the end the story plays out like you pretty much expected from the minute you saw the female bounty hunter. All in all a drawn out episode.

And heck, all of this would be fine if there weren't gaping plot holes. So we know Wolfwood was found by Gasback in the desert, so he was there for Twenty years? Did he not die back when he collapsed in the church….and Vash, Milly and Meryl buried him? It's not like he was shot and wandered off never to be seen again, we know he was killed. Yet when he shows back up in town and three of our main characters go on like it was expected. Also how'd he get his gun back? Vash had taken it and used it in his battle against Knives. Oh yeah, about Knives, did that whole thing just resolve itself? Was he killed, did Vash tend to his wounds and turn him into a good man? Some answers to what went on in those twenty years would have been nice, at least ones that pertain directly to our story.

They also try to explain away a gripe I had with the original series, about how all lives are equal and no one should kill, despite how not killing one person may end up causing the deaths of hundreds of others. Amelia tries to push home that point, just as Wolfwood and Legato did before her, but instead they have to end the series talking about how if Gasback died, then Amelia would have never been born, once again trying to justify the deaths of thousands all because Vash’s refusal to kill Gasback resulted in one new life. That just so happened to be a pretty girl.

Animation - 5/10

From the start the film is packed with one of the biggest downfalls of anime, bad CGI animation. The original series was near perfect when it came to animation, why they had to fall victim to the times, when they were just so good, is beyond me. I guess the lure to make things easier had them go cheap over well made.

The rest of the animation was very well done, but I feel the look of the old Trigun series helped convey the idea of a barren planet. Everything was just a little too clean and polished, where no one looked as if they were in dire straits or struggling to get by. If it was a stand alone movie, with no series behind it, I could look past the choice, but it seems to go counter to the original.

Finally the character design. Our original four are the same as in the series, which besides Vash, can be seen as a little problem as they should have aged twenty years, if not more as we don't know the time that past between Vash and Knive's fight and the bank robbery. Here and there it seems as if the dimensions were a bit off, Vash and Wolfwood would look stretched at times, as if they cropped and then altered the shot to fit the screen. The two new characters, as well as a majority of the background characters, were lazily done. Gasback is a repurposing of Brilliant Dynamites Neon, Amelia is a character model we've seen a thousand times before, and a majority of the bounty hunters look like recolored members of the Gung-Ho Guns or Nebraska family.

Trigun was a great example of "Less is More" and for the film they forgot that.

Sound - 4/10

The great music from the series is gone, replaced by a couple imitation copies of songs we heard in the series. Even the opening and closing bits are pretty disappointing.

Worse than the imitation music are the imitation voice actors (FYI this is for the English version). They decided to get new VO artist for everyone but Vash, and their attempts at trying to get similar sounding people made it painful. If they just got new actors we could have just dealt with it, but instead everyone just sounds like they did their recordings and then added bad pitch effects to them. Even JYB, who is usually spot on, just couldn't hit that mark of perfection he had in the original series, but he was still top of the line.

Characters - 4/10

Since the big four characters are pretty much exact to the series, there's not much to talk about, heck they’re exact to the point they used Milly's broken gun strap gag yet again.

There was a little bit of a change in Vash, where as in the series he was seen as a goofy guy who awkwardly tried to use charm to gain the affection of women, here they made him into more of a creepy lech, where he was at times he was getting right up to the line of what is considered assault.

There are three major characters we can discuss, Gasback, Amelia and Caine, none of which have an ounce of originality.

As I said in the animation section, Gasback is basically Brilliant Dynamites Neon, same body style, similar clothing and same M.O. He's a big time bank robber who now wants to get revenge on those who've done him wrong.

Amelia is another cliche, a hurt girl who wants revenge on her father for leaving her, so she becomes a mighty warrior, or bounty hunter in our case. I couldn't count on fifty thousand hands how many times we've seen this character in movies, tv, books and comics.

Finally there's Caine, who is slightly different than what we've seen before, but not by much. A wimpy thief who turns on his boss and then becomes the boss. The only real bit of originality I mentioned was the metal he has grafted to his face due to the pounding Gasback gave him in the bank. Now he's a sleazy politician who only cares about himself and money, how original.

Overall - 4/10

Even knowing it would have never been as good as the series, I was very disappointed in the movie. It played out like a long episode, adding nothing to the backstory of any our beloved characters and just leaving 1,000 open ended questions. What could have been a great film, such as the Cowboy Beebop movie or oddly the K-On Movie, just seemed like a way to milk some cash out of loyal fans by hyping things up and then just delivering a weak effort and a cliche story.

Even worse than that is how the movie basically spits in the faces of fans, telling them all they knew was actually a lie, and all the emotions they felt were all for naught.

It hurts me to have to give the movie an average rating, since I loved the series, but it's just not close to being a 10/10 quality like the show was.

Positive Reasons for Score:

* It’s Trigun?

Negative Reasons for Score:

* Unoriginal story in almost all possible ways.

* Leaves many plot holes and contradicts the original series.

* Pretty pointless when it comes to the greater Trigun world.

Ways to make the show better:

* Don’t make it.

* Either Look back into Vash’s past, make a spin off with the Gung-Ho Guns or go into Wolfwood’s past.

* If you go forward follow Trigun Maximum or show how Vash tried to save Knives.

* Don’t disrespect the viewer with the changes to the story we’ve already known for years.

papcorp's avatar
Jan 3, 2011

STORY

I just don't believe it, I don't know how to even begin this review. I feel like my heart is being torn apart. I really enjoyed the original TV series of TRIGUN and when I first heard that a 'movie' is coming out i was like 'lol wut?' but then I was like 'awesome!'.

But now, after I just finished watching it I'm not sure what to think about the story. Don't get me wrong I'm clear with my feelings about the movie as a whole piecce but this one thing bugs me. It's not bad, that's for sure. You can't call it a bad story or a borring one. It's just not as amazing as some might expect it to be. It's like watching another RAMBO or DIE HARD movie you know? It's just John Rambo/McClane saving the world again in a good old fashioned way.

Everyone was waiting for this movie, people were freaking out when on some anime expo (or was it convention?) there was a trailer of it. How do I know? because i'm not the biggest fan of Trigun series but I was excited to see a movie with the good old Vash and the gang. And yet i totally forgot about this movie, and boy was I surprised when I finally saw it (by pure coincidence) on some streaming site. I was 'dude it's already out?.. oh yeah it should be it's fuckin 2011 !!!'

Because of all this waiting I believe some ppl will feel the same. The story is ok but not WOW. But you know what? it's absolutely enough. Sure it would be great if the story was WOW but what I saw was a damn good movie and I can't complain about anything big.

There are some comments saying that the story is cliche and (as I said) not 'epic' etc but it doesn't matter. It's damn good and I'm not even the biggest Trigun fan as i said earlier so my opinion should be fine. Yeah the story is kinda cliche and maybe easy to predict but it's interesting, well written and keeps the pace with the rest.

Some things I noticed: it's a "THANK YOU" for the fans. Anyone who is new with the Trigun won't understand a bit about this movie. We get no character description, no backstory, no world description, nothing:) but for someone who already knows Trigun TV series it's useless to explain that again and the movie might bring some new ppl to watch the rest of the show. Yeah it's not a bad written sentence because it felt like watching a longer episode of the TV series. In fact the backstory is so nonexisting that we can pick any episode from the TV series (after Wolfwood was introduced) and that movie will fit after this episode. On the other hand it's kinda disappointing that it felt just like an OAV and it makes you scream MORE MOAAAAAR!!!

ANIMATION

My GOD that is something beatifulllll! The animation is done very nicely and the world/scenery looks even more detailed and 'fitting' than in the TV series. I don't blame the original series for some lack of detail, it's a movie it should be more detailed because the budget should be bigger. The characters are very interesting to watch and I don't mean the main characters but the background ones. We get to see a hell lot of a bounty hunters and they all look very interesting. Like a cantina scene in Mos Eisley in STAR WARS EPISODE 4.

The Explosions and other 'action' stuff is pretty amazing too. Quick action scenes look like a miracle of animation.

The one thing I didn't like? CGI... I'm a fan of old school animation and cinematography I hate watching movies like Avatar where everything is filmed using chromakey! And to be honest there are some CGI scenes in this movie too. Not many! but still there are some. Thank God it's only the cars and other transports scenes (and not all of them even).

SOUND

SFX are great, shooting and explosions sound incredible but the musicccc. There is barely any music. I myself remember only 3 big songs (well at least clips of them) from the whole movie. One was a remix of original HT intro to the TV series but i'm still not satisfied.

I remember the music in the series was something big and very nicely done. Here, there is just some music and that is all. It's the biggest thing that i'm disappointed with i think..

Voice acting is done amazingly well. It's been over 12 years and all the voices sound the same (i havn't yet checked is everyone having the same seiyu). It was really tearjerking when I heard Vash's voice lamenting about the food again:)

CHARACTERS

There isn't much to say about in this section. All the main characters from the series are on the big screen (except for the main villian). And there are only 2 new charcters here, a girl called Amelia (a bounty hunter) and a baddie called Gusback (which could be mentioned in the TV series but I dont recall that happening) Even though the movie is very short I felt sympathy for those new characters. yeah their story would be better if they had like 5 episodes to descrbe it more in details (5 eps for each of them!) but still it was written so well that I'm satisfied in that aspect. And again they are so interesting that it makes me wanna cry that the movie is finished..:(

OVERALL

Long time no see... that is all I have to say. If you are a TRIGUN fan or at least you really enjoyed the TV series (like I did) go watch this movie, you won't be disappointed. But still after watching it to the end I still feel hungry. Even thou I just reunited with my old friends Wolf and Vash I already miss them. As I said the whole movie feels like a longer episode and after the ending credits you are sitting in front of the black screen waiting for the "in the next episode" preview.

...

But.. sadly to say... there won't be any preview. You know what is even more sad? There won't be any next episode:(

But let us hope they will make another movie or revive the series.

If you are not a Trigun fan, you probably won't understand a lot of things but then again maybe it will encourage you to watch the orgiginal series? Give it a try!

FullmetalCowboy's avatar
Jan 2, 2013

Critic's Log - Earthdate: January 2, 2013. Review #29: Trigun: Badlands Rumble

The year 2012 is gone, and we are now in the year 2013. I have been reviewing anime for about 10 months now and I plan on reviewing much more into this brand new year. With that said, my first review of the year will be the movie... Trigun: Badlands Rumble!

20 years after meddling into the bank heist of a notorious robber named Gasback, Vash the Stampede is traveling towards Macca City. There are rumors that the legendary thief might appear there causing an enormous interest from bounty hunters in the area who want to collect the $$300,000,000 reward for his head.

That's pretty much the basic gist of the movie. To be technical, this is a Studio Madhouse production, which doesn't surprise me knowing that they worked on the TV series back in 1998. Twelve years later, this movie comes out and I must say that the animation has improved greatly compared to the TV series, even though anime films have higher budgets than anime shows do, the animation looks nice in this movie. The character designs are faithful to the TV series, which is a good thing to say the least. The action scenes are also a blast and probably just as good as the show. The animation is most likely the best feature of this movie because I do have some problems with the movie. I'll get to that soon.

Tsuneo Imahori comes back to compose the music for Trigun and to be honest, it does compliment what happens in the movie pretty well. It was nice to hear a slightly arranged riff of the Trigun opening around the last 30 minutes of the film. However, It may not be on the same level as the show but it's a decent effort. What I'm trying to say is that I feel the soundtrack isn't as memorable compared to the show, but the soundtrack in the movie is excused here.

When it comes to voice acting, The subbed version is pretty good and some casting members from the TV show reprise their roles in this movie. Masaya Onasaka is still great to listen to as Vash the Stampede, Sho Hayami still sounds cool the way he portrays Wolfwood. Hiromu Tsuru is still pretty good as Meryl, and Satsuki Yukino still has that adorable voice as Milly. As far as exclusive characters, Tsutomu Isobe plays Gasback and this guy doesn't really do a whole lot of anime roles. I know he voices Vincent Volaju in the Cowboy Bebop movie and he was great in that one. Amelia is another movie-exclusive character and she's voiced by one well-known seiyu Maaya Sakamoto and she plays Amelia quite well. So the subbed version is good for the most part. When it comes to the dub, Only one voice actor reprised his role in this movie and that would be Johnny Yong Bosh as Vash, he was great in the show and he's just as good in the movie. Brad Hawkins plays Wolfwood while Jeff Nimoy played him originally and Brad Hawkins did not play a bad Wolfwood, he does not sound like Jeff Nimoy but doesn't have to be and he played the role just fine. I do think Jeff Nimoy got the role just right though, but oh well. Luci Christian plays Meryl Strife and she wasn't bad as Meryl. Trina Nishimura plays Milly and I wouldn't think it was her playing the role but she turned out alright. John Swasey does the voice of Gasback and I guess he was pretty good in this movie. Even with the new voices playing the characters we remember from the show, their performances aren't too long compared to Vash, so there's not too much to worry about I guess. Funimation did a pretty good job with the dub. Zach Bolton did pretty good with the ADR direction in this show.

As far as characters go, that is one of the drawbacks with the movie. Vash the Stampede remains the same in this movie, which is great. Nicholas D. Wolfwood being cool, was great. Meryl and Milly are a bit downplayed in this movie except for parts of the movie. Amelia is an interesting character in the movie. Gasback on the other hand is not too interesting of a villian, that is until the movie's almost over when you find out something that you didn't know. Like the show, I guess this movie was a bit decieving on that particular scene. Some characters are a bit dumbed down in this movie.

If there is one thing that contributes to the characters being dumbed down, that is because of the quality of writing that went towards this movie. The writing is bad, it has a meagar plot and the story almost made me feel like it was going nowhere. The story is not really all that interesting and this movie feels like an feature-length episode as if it was made in Hollywood. As far as I'm concerned, Satoshi Nishimura's directing is certainly not on his best in this movie. The story is my biggest problem with the movie. Also, it's hard to tell where this movie takes place within the show. It's obvious that it would take place sometime before Wolfwood dies. The Cowboy Bebop movie was made after the show and it was claimed to take place somewhere. It is unclear where this movie takes place. I will admit that what does work with this movie is that it has some comedy, action, western-esque gun fights, chase scenes, and even a little drama that the TV show was known for. This movie really is meant for the fans of the TV show. The reason I mention this is because when this movie first came out, there was a screening that was located in Seattle at an anime convention called Sakura-con. I actually go to this convention when I can and my first year going there just so happened to be on that year when it was being screened, I didn't get the chance to see it and I'm a little glad I did because I found out after that when this movie was screened... It was in Japanese with no English dub and it wasn't subtitled either, yet fans of Trigun saw it anyway. That just shows you that this movie is really just for the fans. It's not absolutely necessary to watch the movie with the show, unless you are a fan of the TV show. I'm glad I gave this a try and I guess it was alright for the most part.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble is available from Funimation.

With all that said, Trigun: Badlands Rumble is a gun-toting fun movie with really good looking animation, terrific action scenes, music that compliments the movie with effort, a cast that reprises their roles from the show (Subtitled Version only), and a dub that did a pretty good job with what talent they had. However, it does have poor writing which is why the characters do feel a little dumbed down in this movie. But with what this movie had, it did not disappoint those that loved the TV show.

I give Trigun: Badlands Rumble a 6.8 out of 10, it is DECENT!

Feel free to comment below, and have a Happy New Year!

9.5/10 animation