Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs - Reviews

Alt title: Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai Desu

apoc9's avatar
Jun 22, 2022

What to say about this isekai series? The beginning is pretty good, with the main character’s (MC) backstory both in our world and the other world. The first few episodes were the best part of the series. I enjoyed them thoroughly despite the fact I’ve read several volumes of manga adaptation before the anime even started. In particular this strange social order and struggles of the MC he had to overcome. There are some enjoyable and funny moments in the series.

However, it’s heavy on tropes of series with overpowered MC combined with tropes of yet another type the dating sim isekai. It’s the dating sim for female audience with typical trope of kind and capable girl, which gets bullied. This has been done in LN and manga to the death. The usual storyline of the game gets disrupted by the MC [1]. He steals all the glory and the best girls [2]. It’s simple and predictable. The girls are pretty and likeable. What is bit refreshing is MC’s snarky attitude especially towards the love interests from the game. It’s for some reason mecha as well with space battleships, robots, swords and magic. This element was ok. I didn’t care much about it.

In the long line of isekai stories this one has interesting premise, but ends up as still pretty generic power fantasy with OP main character. At the end my overall impression is this is pretty much an average anime series.

Spoilers

[1] For some reason there is another reincarnated person, but the show doesn’t do much with the character.

[2] I appreciate the series had balls to let one of the girls confess her feelings, but it ends with the usual trope of nothing changing. It remains micro-harem with two girls, between which neither MC nor viewer can truly decide.

Reap3r's avatar
May 15, 2022

This anime is not the best anime around, but it's very good and a fun watch. Main protagonist has a spine, which is nice, and the comedy lands. Surely its worth checking out.

molopower's avatar
Oct 24, 2022

This is probably the worst anime I have ever seen. I've read quite a few mangas and manhwas that revolve around villainesses/nobility and this employs so many cliches from them. There's no logic, the animation is cheap. Battles are stiff and unsatisfying. Characters are annoying. Mechas and magic feel tacked on with no real use. Why'd you adapt this ENGI when there's a plethora of similar better stories out there?

Saara404's avatar
Oct 20, 2022

Before I start the review I want to say that I'm a light novel reader. I read the LN and It was AMAZING, so this "anime" dissapointed me. If they made the first book into 12 episodes then I would be okay with it, but this is 2 books smashed into 12 episodes. It's too rushed, nothing much explained, most good things skipped and to be honest I'm suprised people actually liked this adaptation. Ye you didn't read the LN so you don't know how manny things you are missing but OMFG I was so mad when I watched it.

Characters? 2/10

- Even though I LOVE everyone in LN I must say they are so blant in anime. Ye Leon was the most similiar to the one in LN but still watching him felt like something is missing. When it comes to my babies Liva and Angie... Like... Does the people who wrote the script for this hates them? Where is their personality???? Other characters are also missing things and most feel like... fake... weird. What did they did to my babies???

Animation? 5/10

- Not good, not best. I would say 'could be better' but even better animation wouldn't be able to save this "adaptation".

Story? 4/10

There is so many things missing it's unreal. I kinda admire people who actually got what is going on because even I was confused and I read the first 2 books twice. Tbh like i said up, i hope it doesn't get second season because if they did THIS to the first one, then smashing 3rd and 4th book into another 12 eps wouldn't be the brightest idea.
There is almost no story, everything is just smashed together and rushed, if it had atleast 24 eps it could be WAY better, but AAAAAAAA

4.3/10 overall
TLDR's avatar
Sep 28, 2022

Satisfying Conclusion?❓ (ends in OK spot. Definitely more to the story)
Emotional?❌
Actual Romance?❓ (setting is literally a dating game, but dont expect any romance progression to take place)
Actual Comedy?✔️ (dumb things happening)
Fanservice/Nudity?❌

What is this anime?
MC gets Isekai'd into a dating game that he has extensive knowledge of. He decides not to use his knowledge to his advantage and live the life of a backwater noble. However, he ends up getting roped into the story of the game's protaganist.

Did I enjoy it?
At the start it was good. Plenty of the dumb type of comedy I like. Fast paced shinanigans. It quickly drops off though. The premise has much potential. Unfortunately, I feel this show barely uses that potential at all. The show should be called "Trapped in a world that is based off of a dating sim, but the dating sim stuff doesnt actually happen so its pretty much just another world". Past the first 2 episodes or so, the dating sim setting doesn't even exist anymore, other than the MC incessantly claiming to the viewers that he's "just a mob character", it's of no note. He recognizes the game characters and plot lines, but that's no different from any other game. The dating sim stuff just doesn't have a bearing on the story other than being an origin point. The MC is the only character that leaves a meaningful impression on me. He does what he wants and not many of the usual tropes apply to him. All the other characters on the other hand, feel like "Anime characters" and super fake. It makes a little bit of sense, since the world is literally a game, but it quickly breaks off of the original game's plot anyhow. A few of the characters seem like the author thought "what would make this character super annoying and make people want to use the fast forward button to skip their scenes?". You betcha I skipped some scenes more than a few times cause it was a drag to sit through annoying characters blab on just to set a specific reaction inside the viewer that "this character bad". It ruins the small amount of immersion it began with. Several plot points aren't very well thought out.  Like the enemy having a legendary knight on board, and only using him after they've lost ships, mechs, and their nations freaking princess for example. And although it's quite obvious to the viewer (if they are paying attention) who the extra character is, there is almost zero interaction between them and the MC. Maybe this will change in the future, but it would be strange at this point for them to actually have a chat. Despite this show inciting my fury at times, it was entertaining. Give it a shot if you don't mind infuriating characters.

3.6/10 overall