Tokyo Ravens

Add review
vongolajake's avatar
Mar 25, 2014

Tsuchimikado Harutora was born into the prestigious Onmyoji family, but can't see "spirit energy". Therefore, he's been enjoying a peaceful daily life with his friends at the Onmyo branch school. One day, his childhood friend Tsuchimikado Natsume, heir to the head family, suddenly appears. Will this cause his destiny to spring into motion?!

*this review is based mainly on my own opinions and experience with the show, but please leave a comment if you want to voice your thoughts*

Story: I for one thought the story was pretty good. I found it interesting and for the most part well done, The story starts off quick and already gets you on the edge of your seat in the first few episodes,We do get to a point where it slows down quite noticebly and this is due to introducing characters and building up story progression so i for one did not mind it much, but these last few episodes picked up immensely and were quite thrilling and entertaining to watch. Overall i personally enjoyed the story a lot but it could have definitely be done better

Animation: Having not seen any other shows done by 8-Bit i did'nt know what to expect, but i enjoyed the animation a lot. I liked the style and this is just my opinion but i thought the CG was cool and added a little extra to the show. Overall pretty good animation with nice colors and the use of magic was really well animated.

Sound: For me the sound was perfect. It had a large cast of Seiyu's i enjoyed so i liked the voices and being a fan of the To Aru series and being one who enjoyed its sound track a lot the music for Tokyo Ravens was just as good since most of it was done by the same people who did the music for To Aru except for the second opening

Opening 1: X-Encounter by Kurosaki Maon

Ending 1; Kimi ga Emu Yuugure by Nanjou Yoshino (lead vocalist of Fripside)

Opening 2: ~Outgrow~ by Gero

Ending 2: Break a Spell by Mami Kawada

Characters: Some may say the Main character (Harutora) was pretty dense and that we werent given much back ground on the others and thats true but i really enjoyed the characters. I do agree with the lack of a back ground story with some characters, so i hope they eventually get to that if they do make a second season, liked most of the characters even thought the "Antagonist" were alright. but overall mainly liked some of the interactions between them

Overall: I enjoyed Tokyo Ravens a lot. It had enough action and twist to keep me entertained as well as the occasion comedic moment that i enjoyed, That coupled with great music and good characters (Kon Ftw) made Tokyo Ravens pretty enjoyable for me now all we can do is hope for a second season, In my opinion i really hope they make one but at the same time its a little hard to tell because with the ending it could go either way.Overall it was a fun ride and i recommend it especially if you're a fan of the To Aru series or a fan of Magical action/adventure shows.

8.5/10 characters
9.1/10 overall
tollie01's avatar
Nov 19, 2019

First some items I need to adress. I'm Dutch to expect some spelling errors, if they are to annoying just message me and I'll fix it.

My opinion may vary from others and this is fine. People are different so there is a good chance that I will not like what you love. Deal with it. I'm not telling you that you should hate it too, I'm telling you why I didn't like it.

I'll try to keep swearing to a minimum but fail utterly on occasion. In general it is the more the anime pisses me off the more I swear so watch out for the low scored ones.

Art: It's a 2014 series so you can expect it to look at least decent and you can expect a certain amount of CGI. It is nothing special and the action looks pretty darn good at times.

Sound: Sound is fine. Voice actors do what they can with what they have been given, which isn't a lot. Music I can no longer remember.

Characters: The main character is Harutora. Although he is from a powerful mystic family he never showed any magical ability. As a child he made a promise to Natsume to become her familiar.

Natsume is a from the main branck of the family and a powerful psychic. Due to some family rules she has to pretend to be a male when going to school. It is pretty clear that she has feelings for Harutora.

Masato is very laid back and a womanizer who doesn't like military strickedness. He joined against the wishes of his father and is part of a very wealthy family.

Touji is Harutora's best friend and joins him when he leaves to the new school. A migical disaster from a few years ago has left him a changed man.

Yakou was the family head during WWII and there he tried a daring ritual. It failed and rocked the spritual world to its core. While he died in the attempt there is a legend that he would return by reincarnating into a new body.

Story. Although from a powerful magical family, Harutora was born with no powers and was discarted because of this. He made his with though and does his best to make something of his life. This changes when he is singled out by powerful psychics who believe him to be a possible candidate to reincarnate Yakou while others wish to know about the ritual. After a friend is brutally murdered he becomes Natsumes' familiar and vows to find her killer. However he quickly learns that in a magical world nothind is ever what it appears.

Rant. The story is pretty straight forward, despite what I wrote about the story. Your protaginist has no power, is attacked, sets out to get revenge and turns out he is not powerless after all. You've seen it all before and most likely much better. This is the biggest problem of the anime. I didn't hate it but you won't see me gushing about it either. Basically it boiled down to: Meh.

It did manage to pull one trigger though and one I hate with a fiery passion. At one point you see the main character being attacked by a powerful psychic. She captures him and has him at her mercy. It is then that she makes her move and forcebly kisses him on the mouth. Right then a female character walks up, sees this, and reacts like someone kicked her beloved puppy.

I trust that in a post #me too era I do not have to explain what sexual assault is. Harutora was helpless and was beset upon by a female character who showed interest where he VERY clearly had none. I hate it when this gets turned around as some kind of betrayel on his part. I do not care if it is played for comedic effect. This isn't funny and I will automatically start deducting points every time it is brought up.

angel22867's avatar
Feb 25, 2017

I was very skeptical about this Anime at first and finally brought myself to watch it and I couldn't have been more wrong. This is an amazing Anime. The animation was well done and the characters were well thought out. The story was amazing. I want to write this review without giving out details but if you do watch this just make sure you clear your schedule for the day. It will keep you on the edge and look forward to a shocking twist near the end. This is by far one of the most amazing Animes I have watched and I am just so blown away by it. The thought and time that went into this Tokyo Ravens is incredible. Well worth a watch. Do not pass this one up.

Ailee1008's avatar
Sep 19, 2019

the worst anime plotting amd character i have ever watched. maybe because im so not into the modernization of onmyouji instead i prefer the original one. but that apart,aside from stunning animation the plot is flimsy and intensely patchy. also what's with the girl in the series?? y can't they be potray by normal behaviour rather than some shy teens falling for the boys acting emotional w/o even telling what u feels like?. im sorry i need to drop cause watching few of it ep really is hard for me.

ChrisGP's avatar
Mar 30, 2019

This is a good action anime with just barely a drop of romance.

The ending is a bit mixed.  It's like running across the finish line only to fall off a cliff.

The feeling of what happens next is strong and not satisfied by a second season.