To Love Ru: Darkness 2nd OVA - Reviews

9Ranger's avatar
Apr 8, 2024

As the OVA series of the second season of the adaptation of the sequel series to this manga series, I cannot stop feeling sick from this. I am disgusted from how much this series has gone downhill from almost everything. This series goes too far with it's over-the-top fan service and amps up the mean-spirited anime tropes to the point of being even more unbearable. What's worse is that character and plot development is absolutely minimal here and the more unsympathetic ones get more focus, while the more likable ones get rendered as almost background characters. This series also had potential for emotional character arcs, but they get deliberately trashed and ruined in the worst ways possible, mainly because the writers refuse to even take the character arcs seriously, instead putting unnecessary mean-spirited fan service and not even letting the character arcs develop or end properly. With this series caring more about fan service and torture than anything else, I cannot consider this as well-written. I mean, the animation is stunning and undeniably the best in the series, but that's not enough for me to enjoy this series.

In fact, everything I explained above gets even worse in this season, which makes me rate this one lower. The writers still didn't even try changing the manga chapters to things more tolerable and well-developed with better writing. They just had to repeat the mistakes of the manga.

2.8/10 story