To Be Heroine

Alt title: Tu Bian Ying Xiong Leaf

Add review
Aniky777's avatar
Jul 7, 2018

You guys have to watch this anime it is worth it. It is about a girl named Futaba that wanted to escape from her world and literally ended in antoher world with chibi charaters with underpants on. But the anime becomes more intersting after episode 5 really i think that you guys should really give it a chance. The only thing weird about the anime is that Futaba speaks Chinese in the first world, and speaks japanese in the other world. And the chibi charaters are kind of irrelevant in the start but you get used to it. The opening and the ending song are good, but thats just my opinion. I really hope that you guys give this anime a chance.

Aishie's avatar
Jul 21, 2018

Seeking the light at the end of the tunnel.

What an unexpected ride, am i right ? To be heroine caught me off guard, judging by the rating and the synopsis, i wasn't expecting that much from this show, but then, immediatly after launching the first episode, the main protagoniste, futaba is questionning what is the purpose of her life, when your path is already drawn for you, when you don't have the right to choose.

Story: I was already surprised, psychologie, already ? in this show ? And its.. very very well done from A to Z ? The story is surprisingly, very mature, very adult, and very well written, the story telling is gold, everyting has a meaning, everything is done, is build in a way that is later so touching!
just watch the anime, do me that favor.

Characters: The caracters fits very well the univers we are in, its hard to tell whanever they shine by the story that connect them, or if they shine by themself.

The main trio is very enjoyable, Futaba is a very normal girl, but her parents want her to be perfect, one that will have the perfect score at controls test, one that will have a very important job, but she doesn't want to be that girl, she then realise, growing up isn't how she trought it was. Aside from that, her peronnality is very lovely, she treasures her two best friends, she is kind and very attentionned.

hikaru is.. i'd be gay for him.. realy, he is so nice and kind, and at the same time, hide his sadeness by big smiles and jokes, by the end, he is the core of the serie, he is the one that made everyone move forward, accept reality.

Tôru is the expact opposite of hikaru, very calm, reserved, the serious type of guy, he is very used for later plot, and has just like a main character, well done character developpement.

Sound: Its good, but io think every anime as good voice acting and song that fits well situation, so i'm always giving good score here, but i have to say, the sountrack is very melancholy by moments, and its fits very well.

Animation: from a chinese studio, it is realy, not bad at all, its very dynamique, the art style is very likable, the character design is fine, the colors fits well, its good enough not to complain about it.

Overall: i would say, best anime of the season, if someone read this review, give it a try, its not always those that are popular, or those that have good rating that will shine the most, because to be heroine is a gem, one of those you won't found every years, the story telling is what make it so bright, so realy, give me this favor, this anime will be forever unknow, and underrated, so trust me, if you watch it, you will not regret it.

7.5/10 animation
AnimeLover1771's avatar
Apr 13, 2019

YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU DIE. IT'S EASY TO MISJUDGE THIS ANIME BUT YOU WILL MOST LIKELY REGRET NOT WATCHING THIS!

MyOwnAlarum's avatar
Aug 9, 2018

Not all psychological tales are told in a dark dramatic format; some are meant to deceive the audience before revealing the heart of their story.  To Be Heroine might have you believing that it is a shallow ecchi led by idiotic chibis, but in reality it is so much more.  Though far from perfect, it has a unique blend of comedy that packs an emotional punch.  An accurate synopsis would spoil the plot, but there are certainly still things that must be said about this beautiful and heartbreaking series.

To Be Heroine takes place in two separate worlds; a dreary reality and a bizarre chibi dimension.   In the beginning, the show balances non-sequitur combat with heartfelt character development, utilizing ‘reality’ to keep the audience intrigued while chibis attack each other with clothing.  By the time reality does take center stage, intense feelings have been shared and strong attachments have been formed.

This contrast will feel more familiar to those who watched To Be Hero, the prequel and predecessor to Heroine.  The creators are obviously experimenting with duality, and seem willing to learn from the failings of their previous works.  Heroine does not try to surprise the audience the same way Hero does, though I would say it has its share of unpredictable twists.  Instead of waiting until the last possible moment to give the big reveal, it hints at a deeper plot before blossoming at the half-way point.  While both seasons play with similar themes, Heroine is by far the superior show.  And yet, I still feel obligated to suggest watching Hero first; it is relatively short, and a number of characters and concepts cross over.

As you might notice from the start, reality is voiced in Chinese and the chibi dimension is Japanese.  This does not appear to have any significance to the plot, but it does reflect a unique aspect of the show’s development.  Haoliners, the creators, are a Chinese animation studio that work closely with a Japanese production company.  Though they’ve done a great deal of cooperative work, their overall goal is to export Chinese animation.  They seem to be improving quickly, and they offer a style and perspective that is not usually seen in anime.  Named for the head director and creator, Li Haoling, this small studio is worth keeping an eye on.

While the production quality and art style are both above average, To Be Heroine’s real strength lies in its portrayal of relationships and interactions.  The characters themselves are not necessarily unique, but they feel very human.   A combination of well-written dialogue, strong performances, and relatable facial expressions make the ensemble seem more realistic than most slice-of-life anime without strange chibi dimensions.

Above and beyond any individual points in Heroine’s favor, the show was genuinely enjoyable to experience.  The outlandish humor had me giggling, even when I wanted to be pretentious and hate it, and the rest turned me into an emotional mess by the series end.  At the very least, it’s different.  I strongly recommend trying it out, and I hope to see more from these creators in the future.