Thunderbolt Fantasy - Reviews

TheAngryBears's avatar
Jul 29, 2016

Full version here:

Short version:

Ok, I won't make it a habit to do first impression videos for too long but people either treat this series as the worst thing to ever happen to Anime or a refreshing shot to the mediums withered arms. While the puppets are entertaining the answer lies somewhere in a grey middle ground.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is exactly how it looks on the surface: A swords and sorcery "Anime" where the Anime is done with elaborate puppets. In addition the plot is incredibly simple: A brother and sister duo protects their family magic sword, villain kills brother in an attempt to steal magic sword, girl leads a slowly growing party in an attempt to get in convenient ass-kicking range of the villain. The only reason I'm not writing off the plot 100% is Gen Urobuchi is behind the wheel of this project. And if that man's good at one thing it's a sudden, painful plot twist. Go watch Madoka if you want an example.

The real draw is the puppetry on display. Overall its decent: The puppets themselves are overdesigned but very pretty, movement is alright, the scenery is very well done and combat is choreographed very well. But characters faces don't move. Or emote. At all. And when a character is mad/sad/talking it's a bit jarring. Also theres quite a few awkward stiff movements on display. To be fair it could be I'm not used to the whole puppet show concept but it does take some getting used too.

Overall the show is entertaining to watch but it needs to start ramping up its A game before the concept becomes stale. They've already recycled a combat track to the point where it doesn't hold the same dramatic weight it did in the first episode. And to it's credit, with a cool enough trick up its sleeve it could maintain the entertaining momentum the puppet novelty built up. Consider me cautiously optumistic for this series. Keep an eye on it and lets see where it goes from here.

hinatahonoka's avatar
Dec 1, 2019

Dān Fěi and her brother, guardians of a sword known as the Tiān Xíng Jiàn, are pursued by the evil Xuán Guǐ Zōng clan, who seek to obtain the sword for their master, Miè Tiān Hái. While her brother is defeated by Miè Tian Hái, Fěi, who possesses the sword's crossguard, escapes and finds herself in the care of the wandering swordsman, Shāng Bù Huàn, and a mysterious man named Lǐn Xuě Yā, who become her protectors from the pursuing Xuán Guǐ Zōng clan.

I don't really know what to say about this. As you can already predict the story is already a little bit cliché. what gives this anime some interest is its animation. I've never seen this kind of animation before so at first, I thought it was stupid it seemed like a Chinese or Japanese theatre with all the exaggerated moves and roles but as I continued watching it I found it to be quite interesting!

The characters' design was really good in my opinion although (like I previously said) have some exaggerated moves it is good.

but if you want something different to watch I recommend it! XD

8.9/10 overall
JadedDragos's avatar
Feb 25, 2019

I loved this one. I walked into this one thinking “Ok, something different, I hope it doesn't suck.” After about the third episode I deemed non suckage and enjoyed the whole season! Pretty straight forward plot with some twists. Was a good journey to go on.

Animation was great. Even though it was done by puppetry it did incorporate CGI stuff for magic and abilities. Sound was equally great. Awesome beginning theme and continuous in story music.

Characters came together very well, even though some had their own agendas and made different choices, each character ran smoothly with others.

Overall I loved this season and can't wait to watch the second one, recommend this to everyone.