The World is Still Beautiful - Reviews

Alt title: Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii

Bamzzi's avatar
Jul 17, 2014

I absolutely loved this anime. The charcters were all lovable and relatable (in my opinion). The animation was wonderful, and the songs got stuck in my head all the time. I loved the storyline and the developing love between Nike and Livius.

alexnbl's avatar
Nov 28, 2014

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushiii otherwise known as This World is Still Beautiful is a surprisingly delightful treat.  Looking at the synosis, it looks like a standard tale of boy meets girl with the boy being a jerk.  It looks like pretty standard anime romance fair.  And for the most part....it is.  However, it is the standard romance done right.  In many shojo romances i've found myself frustrated by the sheer stupidity of the main characters at times.  In some anime romances problems and issues happen for petty reasons and the main characters take actions that are equally as petty. In this anime however, we have excellent character development with a romance formula that is not often used.

Very Minor Spoiler

*Instead of unrequited love or one character trying to win the affections of another, we see both characters fall for each other with the same intensity and almost at the same time.  As an audience we see the characters fall in love and grow together.  It's quite refreshing.*

END OF SPOILER

We also get to genuinely like most of the characters.  I liked the Sun King and I liked the Rain Princess.  He was a good guy with a couple of jerk moments in which he more than redeemed himself for.  And the rain princess wasn't a ditzy damsel in distress.  Nearly all the plot devices are cliche but a person is just so curious to see the interaction between our two characters that its almost easy to overlook.

One thing to note is that one of the characters looks substantially younger than the other. The sun king looks 12 and the rain princess looks around 16.  There are a few scenes where this is reflected upon by the characters (differences in height, strength, etc).  They are engaged so there are various cute moments when the king takes charge to "woo" his princess .  I will say that the sun king might look 12 but he sounds and acts like a grown man. If this disturbs you then take off a point.

For the most part though, they keep everything relatively innocent (there are a couple of scenes that had me raising an eyebrow including the ending credits at the end of each episode. I'll just say the animators seemed to have an unhealthy fascination....)

The animation is of very good quality, they spent a little money for this.  As for the sound, I felt they could have varied the songs used in the anime.  There is pretty much one song that is used continually (you will know when you watch it).  The song was fitting but I felt that they could have branched out and used at the very least different variations of it based on the situation.  It just seemed a little lazy to me.

Overall its a solid anime.  It has likable characters, good animation, nice sound, and the plot isn't too shabby.  They wrap everything up pretty nicely. I wish there was more of an epilogue for our characters, but we can't have everything.

8.5/10 sound
Alistoru's avatar
Feb 1, 2018

This is the first review I have written in a while, namely out of laziness, and also because I have watched a great many anime lately that were perfectly mediocre, and not really worth saying anything about. I felt I HAD to say something about this one though, it was really that good.

Every so often, when I am in a more patient mood, I go back through my "won't watch" list here on anime planet and check to see if maybe in my jaded browsing of things to watch I might have missed something. I do this because on occasion I find a real gem I mistakenly marked off. Such was the case with The World is Still Beautiful, and I could not have been happier to have been so wrong. Masterful storytelling, a romance that not only felt real and gradual, but also with characters you actually WANT to fall in love. No falling down stairs with heads landing on boobs here. Instead you get a real a story for once about an unlikely relationship between two very different people, it feels natural and unforced.

The art style decent for it's time, characters where all likeable in some way with a few being downright lovable, (looking at you Nike) and the music was just wonderful. You might think I would get tired of hearing "Tender Rain" after 12 episodes but NOPE, instead I kept turning up the volume everytime Nike started in. I have watched a large number of anime, and I am usually quite generous with my ratings but only a handful earn a full 5 stars/10/10 rating. I mention this because I have seen a couple of reviews calling this anime "average". I have seen TONS of "average" anime and this was vastly superior. I wanted to give it an 11/10 but the rating system didn't like that, so a perfect 10 it is.

TL:DR Watch this, it's a fantastic anime and you will only be disappointed by the fact that it's not longer than 12 episodes.

*I am NOT a professional reviewer by any stretch of the word, and what reviews I do are not like others you might see here, I don't rate via individual parts but by the anime as a complete experience and usually just say whatever comes to my mind.

Mithraganhi's avatar
Dec 25, 2014

Secret Santa Review
The whole show is well paced though it lacks a main conflict. We get to see a lot about the main character's past and it contributes to the story. However, everything turns out too well. The power of love solves everything and there's not a bit of resentment in the characters who make the conflict.

Animation:
The character's designs are pretty common, I don't remember any background in particular but the clouds and the animation in the sky is really good. One thing that bothered me a bit was the fact that they didn't work much on the singing, Nike's mouth could have moved more...

Sound:
A little bit disappointed here. Being so essential in the development of the story, the music could have been better. I was expecting it to move me but it was just like any other show's music. It was not bad, though.

Once you get past the fact that the love interest is a child (I really appreciate the fact that Libius wasn't given a female voice), the whole relationship is well developed. We can see how the feelings of the main characters grow throughout the series. Their personalities were well established through their background information. Moreover, some of the supporting characters were really funny and didn't feel as if they were just to fill space.

Overall:
A simple story with good characters, it's worth seeing it. If you are in the mood of a simple story to soften your heart, this series will be perfect for you!

kayoky093's avatar
Oct 11, 2015

It was painfully beautiful! If you love sweet love stories and royalty, this is just as Princess Sissi and France or Qween Maria of Romania and King Ferdinand. It's an arranged marriage, doesn't look good at all at first. He's too young, she's all more than a teenager, the difference is way too big. Still, feelings and behaviour usually don't have age. They just flow in the air and hit whenever they find a crack in your heart. That's what happens here. I still wanted a different ending, just as Livius said once: "I'm not about to stay this small, I still have to grow. You'll be able to dance with me in no time". I wish I could have the chance to see Livius as a grown up.