The World God Only Knows: Tenri Arc - Reviews

Alt title: Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Tenri-hen

Rbastid's avatar
Jan 30, 2016

Finally, twenty five episodes in and we get an explanation of what's really going on.

Story - 9/10

If i was rating on a curve of previous WGOK episodes we'd be going way over ten on the score, but even in the whole anime universe this OVA would stand out.

Starting off as what seems like a typical summer break filler episode, Keima is surprised when an old neighbor and classmate, Tenri, returns to town, mostly surprised because he doesn't remember her. Soon after she's shown to be another girl possessed, but not by a loose soul but instead by a more powerful special Goddess, something Keima doesn't want to deal with because first off he can't stand her and secondly because he just wants to spend the next forty days playing his video games in bliss.

Soon his disinvolvement in the loose souls catching business no longer becomes his choice, as a new pair of demons come hunting for the loose soul, and they think the only way to do that is to kill Keima. Not wanting Keima to die, Tenri whisks him off to a place she thinks the demons won't find him.

This starts the real brunt of our story, a part that answers why we have loose souls to begin with. It's a cute little scene and helps explain the phenomena and does give a little insight into Keima as a child.

It's amazing to think this story arc was just added as an OVA, we get more background and truly good writing here, when this should have been slapped right in the middle of season two to keep the viewer informed.

Animation - 7/10

As usual there is hardly anything to complain about when it comes to the animation in this series. Everything is just how you remembered it from before. Sure the closings were a little weak in concept and flair, but thats just looking for something to nitpick on.

I would have liked a little more originality in the newer characters for this arc. Tenri, Nora and Asama all looked like carbon copies from dozens of anime series past.

One thing I have harped on in the past is elements from other anime series showing up, ones that seem to have no connection to this show. Again they gave us a scene with a still shot that was basically Ouran High School Host Club.

Sound - 6/10

Sadly this set of OVA's lacked one of the series' very strong points, great music.

The opening song was nonexistent for both episodes, not in a "wasn't worth talking about" kind of way, there literally was no opening song or credit sequence.

To compensate they had two different ending songs. The song for episode one was ok, a nice soft song that matched the video, but the second song was a much better, lively, rock song that matched the great songs of the previous seasons.

Characters - 4/10

Despite the series upping the quality of it's story, the character development was still pretty weak. We still don't get a true sense of Keima or Tenri outside of both being loners, one because he likes games and the other because she's shy. A reason why they’re this way would have went a long way to adding to all around thin characters in the series.

The two other new characters were also very badly created. Nora and Asama aren't in the slightest bit original, bossy beautiful girl and effeminate male sidekick, it doesn't get much more cliche. (Seriously they're pretty much Jessie and James from Pokemon to a T.)

Overall - 8/10

This is what the show should have been all along. They finally added real story elements to the conquest girls, they gave us back story and they tied the usual comedy in rather nicely…..And I fully expect to let down when I return to the next season.

Scrittore's avatar
Jan 19, 2016

Well, i'm impressed, in the first place i thought it was a normal story like the main storyline, but it had something more than the normals episonde, in my opinion this is ova have something more than the previouse seasons!

and there's a girl who actualy love him

ReviewBonfire's avatar
Jan 2, 2021

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Tenri Hen

A surprisingly not meaningless but even relevant Ova that contains 2 normal episodes. If possible, this should be set between seasons 2 and 3, otherwise some things are omitted.

Not much is happening in the Ova. It mainly serves the new character Introduction and some solid romance.

5.5/10 animation