The World God Only Knows II - Reviews

Alt title: Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II

Rbastid's avatar
Jan 28, 2016

It's almost fitting that the series starts off by mocking how bland and pointless the first season was. But then they do little to change that.

Story - 6/10

Much like season one the episodes that focus on a single female with a loose soul attached to them are pretty bland. We get a bit of story this time, but essentially it runs pretty much the same as the first season.

Again the episodes that are entertaining are those that have nothing, or at least very little, to do with the overall plot of the show. The pair of episodes where Elsie's old classmate Haqua come to town are a nice change and turn out to be some of the funnier in the series. These two episodes tell us more about Elsie's past and give us a little more insight into the whole business of catching loose souls.

Another episode that was pretty fun was again removed from the overall plot of the show. Keima trys to teach Elsie about the difference in dating sims so that she can properly purchase a rare game for him, while he's busy buying other games. In the second part they reenact the Haqua episode so that she (Haqua) can write her report for the bureau. The two sections added up to being one of the better episodes in the series, as it shied completely away from the catching of loose souls. It also contained a little funny scene that was very ironic, after watching the Anime series of one of his games, Keima comments that the TV show version is always boring, sounds like that writer was venting about the series they were working on.

The final episode also focused on non-soul catching issues. Keima has the chance to help his favorite video game company develop a new game. He spends the episode going through different scenarios of what he wants, by picturing them having battles in different anime styles.

One thing I noticed in season one, but chose ignored in my review, was the shows cracks on Americans, ones that don't even make sense. In season one Elsie comments that Mio is "as poor as an American" and in season two she says that Americans walk around getting wet in the rain because it's too much of a hassle to carry an umbrella. Are these actual stereotypes in Japan? It reminds me of on the comedy How I Met Your Mother when Marshall talks about crazy stereotypes that come about, like Canadians being afraid of the dark and Brazilians using too much postage, except I think the writers, based on the weak and simplistic writing, are just that dumb.

Animation - 8/10

It's not surprising that pretty much nothing was changed from season one, as the animation was the crowning jewel of the series.

The one thing I do have a tiny gripe with is the the animators constant cribbing, or perhaps just putting in things they like, from other series. One notable time, not of Anime fame, is the blowup Elsie doll that has shown up in a few instances. The doll's shape and face is an exact replica of the famous "Emergency Co-Pilot" from the movie Airplane. Another thing that popped out to me was one of Elsie's fellow demon and loose souls section chief, Haqua. While her look doesn't really resemble her, the scythe she wields looks like a close replica to that of another demon, Risky (I think the demon is Risky) in the terribly awful series Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety. It seems this series is big on borrowing gags from other series, having many animation similarities to FLCL in the first season, so I'll chalk it up to the Key animator just dropping in little easter eggs as homages.

As a side note, I can't put my finger on who the character Sugimoto from the One Leaf video game reminds me of, but it's a small pop up character from another anime that looked completely out of place in it. (Again another ode to different shows?)

The Intro animation again was very nice and went far beyond what we usually see in anime series, but sadly the outro was just a lazy single shot of a PSP with images appearing on it.

Sound - 7/10

Once again the musical intros/outros in the show are surprisingly good. This time I also took notice of some of the in series music, and it was better than that of the first season.

One new voice for the season really stood out. The actress doing Ms. Nagase's voice was very different but still fit the character very well. There was something about it that made it seem much more real than most anime voices.

Characters - 5/10

This time around the writers did attempt to build a small bit of backstory behind the females Keima was trying to help.

While Kasuga and Chihiro get slight back stories, the most time is spent on Ms. Jun Nagase. The episodes involving Ms. Nagase are the best written of the series, up till this point, from a character development point of view. It's nice to not only see the typical "Why she's this way so a soul attached to her" backstory we see for every other female character, but this time around we get to know her likes and dislikes, her past in high school and what she's looking for out of life. From these few episodes alone I could actually see, and be interested in, a stand alone involving Ms. Nagase, something along the lines of a G.T.O. maybe.

Sadly we again learn little about Keima outside of his love for video games. Even in the last episode, where they can explain what he likes in games, why he became so attached to them and any other tid bits of information, they basically leave everything unanswered, as he never says what he wants in his perfect game.

Overall - 6/10

While leaps and bounds better than season one, the show still pretty much seems like multiple filler episodes (all those having to do with loose souls) and a few ones that actually move the story along. While the concept of collecting loose souls can be interesting and funny, those episodes just seem to be the same boiler plate format over and over.

Well now that i'm two thirds of the way through the series I can't stop now. So time to load up the O.V.A.s for more disappointment, errr I mean entertainment.

Flint879's avatar
Jul 3, 2014

THE STORY IS: Continuing from the first season, Keima and Elsie are still on the prowl to hunt down loose souls trapped inside a girl's heart. The only way to get the loose soul out is for Keima, a video gamer who shuts out reality completely, to sway these girls into falling for him. Keima will soon realize, though, that not all girls have a set path that can be followed like in his games. This time around, Keima will have to think outside the box and off the linear path that his dating sim games usually follow.

The first season of The World God Only Knows left much to be desired for the story. It was a great idea to play with, but didn't do much to explore the concept. The second season plays with the idea the first season was going off of making it a little less linear and taking a different approach. The story is still the same as the first season, but the girls are different this time around. Definitely will say that it was much better this time. It took the series and brought forth what should have been done, but I guess that is kind of what they were going for though. Make the first half like they did and give you the general idea, then toss it up. Still wasn't anything mind blowing, but it definitely stepped up and put forth some more effort to keep your attention.

THE SOUND & ANIMATION: If you watched the first season, everything is pretty much the same this time around as well. Elsie's voice is still annoying as always.

THE CHARACTERS: They were a bit better in this season than the last. The first season had no sort of development between Keima or Elsie. More or less, there is some development to be had here. Keima is practically the same, but his character gets a little more explored into what he is thinking and starts second guessing himself about reality. That was interesting. Elsie.....well...didn't really change. You meet some new characters along the way and they have some sort of background to delve into. It may not be much, but it's still there and gives you a sense of what that girl went through in the past that may have caused a loose soul to appear. Still, not much in this department.

OVERALL: I still am having a hard time understanding why so many people love this series so much. I like it, but it's nothing that merits an anime of the year award. The World God Only Knows is definitely not for everyone, but it has it's good and bad points just like every other anime out there. Granted, not the worst I've seen, but not the best. This second season manages to stay within the ether realm of average. Maybe a point or two above average giving it a slightly above average rating that did good job at outdoing the first season, if only slightly.

5.5/10 overall
ReviewBonfire's avatar
Apr 25, 2020

As expected, the continuation followed the same principle. The story continued to consist of various short romances, ie "conquests". The characters also followed the same scheme. There was the usual martial artist, teacher and, exceptionally, someone who didn't fit the 0815 scheme.

If someone did not like the first season, they should have little hope of something new here. The relationships had a little more detail than the predecessor, but everything else remained the same.
The main story in the background unfolded a little bit during this season.

On the genre side, everything remained unchanged. The animations remained the same, there was nothing to add.

Here you saw at least some more thoughts and problems of some of the protagonists.

There was hardly anything worth mentioning on the part of the new supporting characters.

Conclusion

In terms of implementation, this season was a bit better than the first. However, it looks very difficult because there is hardly any variety. The humor has been chewed through and there was hardly any change.

nasreen10's avatar
Jul 4, 2011

For the most part, it has the same feel as season 1 but most of the girls were more likable (except Chihiro). It still needs another season but I loved the ending. For something more detailed, read my first review.

6.9/10 characters
yasmin09's avatar
Jul 12, 2011

I will keep this review fairly short since I have all ready written one for the first season. The quality remains consistent through story, animation, and sound though I do find the females more likable in this season, with the exception of Chihiro (I think that was the name). In addition, the ending was much more appropriate and strongly suggested a third opening by showcasing the females to come as opposed to having an open-ending with much left to be desired. If you enjoyed the first, the second will be just as good and will not disappoint for the most part. I actually had a slight preference for this second season.

7.5/10 story