The Wind Rises

Add review
CallMeQueenie's avatar
Mar 8, 2014

Story | 8/10
Fast-paced telling of a story that emphasizes the significance of dreams. "The Wind Rises" also leaves one in awe of the technological development of Tokyo, Japan during World War II. Though I found some parts of the story could have been a little further elaborated, the film itself is still a masterfully told tale.

The story of "The Wind Rises" takes place during the era of World War II. So it is a film that very well presents to the Western audience one of the Japanese perspectives during WWII. This movie also presents two sides of the same coin: a development of a romantic relationship and the growth of a genius Japanese aeronautical engineer named Jiro. I found the story's developments to be well-knitted together. Which I find, is just as expected of its famous director, Hayao Miyazaki.

Animation | 9/10
The animation was simply beautiful. The animation staff of Studio Ghibli are very talented at animation and were clearly well-directed by Miyazaki, of course. I loved all of the colours and details in the backgrounds. The character designs are a classic style.

Fluid and smooth animation. Like all previous movies by Studio Ghibli, "The Wind Rises" has beautiful enough animation to captivate any lover of animated films! I also think Studio Ghibli done thorough research for certain technology designs in the film (such as what a standard war plane looked like).

Sound | 8.5/10
The music was beautiful, but in a couple of scenes an instrumental song or two felt somewhat unfitting to me. Still, this film contains very fitting music for the era the setting takes place in.
I recommend this film for any fans of classical or orchestral music, as well as fans of traditional Japanese music.

Characters | 8/10
The characters were loveable and likeable for me. It honestly felt like there was no reason to dislike any of the characters. Because of how likeable the characters all were, I think "The Wind Rises" may be one of the films with the best character development, or at the very least, best use of characters.

It's just the character development was rather subtle, so it seemed the characters continued having the same temperament and personalities well into adulthood. However, we still see Jiro's growth as an engineer and designer of airplanes. We viewers also get to watch the gradual development of Jiro's romantic relationship.

Overall | 9/10
I am giving this final Hayao Miyazaki masterpiece a good 9 out of 10 stars. I really enjoyed this film.
Like many anime movies, it makes you laugh and cry. I recommend this film to those who like history, Japanese culture, anime in general, etc.

Again, I found it to be a fast-paced story that can easily captivate anyone who's watching. The movie itself is not as vivid in colours and submersed in fantasy as "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away," but is still yet another wonderful film directed by Hayao Miyazaki.
Any fan of Studio Ghibli will love this movie!

kawaiiscribbles's avatar
Feb 14, 2016

I have loved Studio Ghibli movies my entire life and this one did not disappoint. The scenery and character animation was breathtaking and imaginative while still staying true to the historical setting. The story had a calm pace, but it never left me bored.

Jiro's accomplishments from childhood to manhood were masterfully told through following his everyday life, but the viewers were not excluded from his hopes and dreams. The love story in this film was natural and beautiful, but laced with hardship, as life usually is.

The ending left me with a sorrowful, yet peaceful ache--I wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way. Content wise, there are a few instances of strong language, but otherwise it is completely clean. Overall, a magnificent film. Definitely worth watching.

sarah61695's avatar
Mar 27, 2016

I haven't written an anime review for a long time, but this one being a Studio Ghibli film and being the last movie Hayao Miyazaki will ever direct, have made me finally watched it on this vary night. The Wind Rises, is a beautiful movie. The characters are each special in every way you can say. From Jiro to his dreams of creating something truly beautiful, yet knowing that the use of his creation is not for something good. To Jiro’s sister which I feel represented the strong women during the war that wanted to be part of something. To Jiro’s wife who even through sickness and till the end loved Jiro with all her heart and stay by his side till the last minute of his success. Every film of Miyazaki’s, I felt always has a meaning behind the two or more hours that the viewers had dedicated ourselves to and the endless hours the artists put into. From never giving up your dreams to sometimes following your dreams might make you lose the important ones around you. Let’s just say, they always thought ahead. I have watched a total of seven Ghibli films and The Wind Rises is definitely in my top 5. Watch this film, every Ghibli film brings you something different and what can I say? There is never really a bad Ghibli film, you just have to “try to live”.

DGFischer's avatar
May 25, 2020

The Wind Rises is a depiction of the life of Jiro Horikoshi, his dreams, his genius, his courage, his vision of his nation rising from the ashes of war, only to find that it would be pushed back into destruction by those who would exploit his engineering achievements.  And, oh, yes, one more important theme.  The thought that love overcomes a sea of misery.

It is a story of Japan in between the world wars  ... impoverished, wracked by social and financial insecurity.  Growing up in these times, Jiro is consumed with a love for flight, but his near-sightedness prevents him from being a pilot.  The first twist in the plot was the first of a handful of fantastic encounters with Count Caproni, an Italian aviator.  The count's encouragement prompts Jiro to pursue a career in aerodynamics.  It is on the way to college when he saves the life of a young girl, Naoko Satomi, Jiro's future bride and tragic love.

On his graduation, Jiro comes to Tokyo to work at a struggling company ... Mitsubishi.  He needs to transcend the wood and nails concept of building aircraft.  But his first designs fail due to the stresses flight would have on such weak materials.  He is sent to Germany to study the engineering skills of Hugo Junkers, whose massive all-metal aircraft has left Japan decades behind in development.  Dodging secret agents, Jiro returns with new inspiration to design the fighter plane A5M Zero.  Jiro's progress is accelerated by Japan's ambitious military industrial complex.  Jiro's importance in the development of the Zero forces the young genius to go into hiding as he works through the last stages of what would create a swift, easily maneuverable aircraft ... doomed to be the fiercest fighter plane of WWII.

The music was awesome, a parade of masterfully orchestrated short pieces which define the weariness of Japan struggling after WWI, the majesty of flight, the grit and determination of Jiro and his fellow engineers honing their craft to produce the technology which would pull Japan out of its industrial lethargy.  The animation was solid with scenes of dark rushing toward scenes of brightness, interweaving the turmoil of the twenties and thirties as Japanese banks fail, lines of the unemployed search for the elusive opportunity.  Masterfully rendered.

The strength of this movie is centered on its sorrow being overcome by the love of Jiro’s life encouraging Jiro to live on (Horikoshi will do so, until 1982).  So gripping was that double poignancy of JIro's short love affair with the tuberculosis victim Naoko and the realization that his pristine aviation creation the A6M Zero would be finally obliterated by 1945.  This is Hayao Miyazaki at his best story-telling.  The Wind Rises was slated to be Miyazaki's last, but his post-retirement How Do You Live? might give us one last blaze of anime glory.

GreekOtaku's avatar
Mar 26, 2016

Nice movie and touching. Really good art from studio ghibli and music. I wasn't really impressed when i saw the trailer....but as the old saying goes ''dont judge a book by its cover''..

8.5/10 sound
Ryukami's avatar
Mar 21, 2018

"The wind is rising, we must try to live" - Paul Valéry

A story of following ones dream and a bittersweet love.

Follow Jirou in pre world war 2 Japan and his journey of making his dream come true by designing aeroplanes, but worry not this story is not only about aeroplanes.

Story is good, a little slow but in a good way.

Animation is excellent Studio Ghibli quality.

Sound is good and fits like a flight stick in an aeroplane.

Characters are nice and realistic.

shannonator's avatar
May 19, 2016

I saw this movie in theaters when it came out. It is the first and last Miyazaki film that I've ever seen in theaters, and I found it to be one of the best films he's ever made. Of course, all of his movies are wonderful, but this is a masterpiece. I love the storytelling, animation, music, characters, pacing, color palates, and voice acting. Every scene that transformed into a dream took my breath away. Communicating the way it feels to dream and wonder in the same way it feels can be very challenging, and as a painter, I was more than impressed. Miyazaki is a true master of storytelling and animation, and Joe Hisashi made the perfect soundtrack (as he always does). I will warn anyone reading this that this film may make you cry. I know that I cried, and that was partly because it was Miyazaki's last film. He's an inspiration to me.

sakuramemories's avatar
Jan 15, 2018

known as the farewell masterpiece by hayao miyazaki. *i guess not*

but this movie is sure to hit you right in the feels.

enjoy :3

tollie01's avatar
Nov 16, 2015

Allright. It's been a while since I've done something like this so bear with me as I try to find my way again.I did quite a lot of them in the past on a different website which you can find here: http://legendsofsatura.net/index.php/forum125/6-reviewing-guild.html

....They probably aren't very good though but please do stop by if you have the time and inclination. Originally the site was for writers, mostly original but also fanfiction.

Also I'm Dutch so there will be spelling errors. If you find them annoying give me a shout and I'll try to fix them.

Oh, I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum but there will be some. Usually the worse I rate an anime the more spoilers this will contain. You have been warned

So, you have probably already read what the animation is about in the discription given by Anime-Planet, which is the same as on the box. I will therefore try not go into the story that much unless I'm ranting about something (spoilers).

ART: Seriously, it's GHIBLI. Unless you've been living under a rock you are very familiar with their art. If you are not familiar with their art then run to your local store and get your hands on a GHIBLI movie asap. Spirited Away and Pricess Mononoke are probably the best ones to pick.

SOUND: Most difficult section for me to talk about as I hardly pay attention to music in movies. The less you notice it the better it is most of the time.

I must note though that the airplane sounds are very well done, together with other sound effects in the anime.

Voice casting is up to the usual GHIBLI standards as well. As GHIBLI movies are character driven it is very important to get this right and they once again nailed it.

I really liked the addition where some foreigners actually spoke their own language.

CHARCTERS: Main character is Jiro Horikoshi, whom we follow through his life as a young boy to adult. His dream is to build the best plane possible and give the beauty of flight to the people of the world.

Naoko is a young woman whom Jiro meets on the train as he travels to Tokyo to begin his studies there. As the years pass and they meet from time to time they start to feel for each other.

STORY: It may be cheap for me to say this but GHIBLI is probaly one of the few studios that could make a 2 hour movie about a guy growing up whi wishes to build planed and ends up designing the Zero and keep it interesting.

It helps that in the background the romance of Jiro and Naoko keeps simmering and historical events also take place to keep things moving along.

Still, 2 hours is very long and they certainly could have cut some of it out of the movie and still keep the overall story intact.

I certainly liked it but it is not one of GHIBLI's best movies.

animeandwwefanDXXD's avatar
May 12, 2015

First anime movie I'd been looking forward to watching in a while, Ghibli's The Wind Rises! reviewing this off my first time watching it i usually change my mind (as you do) on ceratain things (for me things and songs tend to grow on me :P )

Anyway lets begin :P

Story - 9/10

I give the story a 9 out of 10, because although very good, there are times where Jiro is dreaming that sorta throw's you off a little (not knowing if its his dream or reality), and also scenes where the movie suddnely jumps a few years without much explanation....other than that its a pretty good story, fun to see him working himself up in the company and situations with coworkers, the romance/lovestory part of the movie doesn't really even start until halfway through the movie, and then it leads to a very downbeat and sorta depressing theme for the rest of the movie :( (the main reason i gave the movie a 9 instead of 10)

(  also what i must note is i watched the miyazaki kingdom of dreams and madness documantary before watching this film, so was also confused by comments made in it such as miyazaki reffering to jiro's fiancee's "magic" (she never seemed to have any) and everyone dying (we never saw thet either)   )

Animation -8/10

Animation...not sure what to say for this one actually....animation was good, but in my opinion especially in mechanical terms i actually enjoyed the animation of 1992 ghibi movie -Porco Rosso - way better than todays age 2013 - The Wind Rises...don't ask me how...lol

Sound - 5/10

sound...ehhhh nothing i can remember much here but then again sound always catches me the 2nd or 3rd time round :P

Charachters - 9/10

Charachters....mmmm very good but none of them you get too close to...i guess in a way now i'm thinking of it you see almost all of then as much as jiro does between his work and trips, etc.... but for me my favourite thing of the movie was seeing him work his way up in his carrer/doing what he loves and funny situations with coworker's (one of them saying they thought he'd marry an airplane lol)

OVerall -9/10

Overall i say 9/10, its a great movie, but for me without mentioning spoilers, the sad/downbeat theme just gets heartbreaking/depressing at times :( still a great movie, but yeah sad for the most part, an interesting thing to bring up about this movie in the making of it is that Miyazaki actually reffered to similar themed - Porco Rosso- as "a foolish movie he didn't want to make" because "ghibli makes movies for children and porco rosso wasnt for children" when in fact..... of the two, The Wind Rises was the seemingly more adult targeted of the two movies, whereas Porco rosso was a much more fun, adventurous type of movie (needless to say, Porco Rosso is by far my favourite of the two and perhaps my favourite ghibli film :P )

Anyway that just about wraps it up :P peace out! :P

Devvy's avatar
Feb 18, 2015

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen, and a stunning final piece of work from Studio Ghibli. Buy it on BluRay, keep it as a timeless classic that it is destined to be. I highly enjoyed this beautiful masterpiece and am almost positive that anyone else who is a fan of Ghibli movies will.

axk1's avatar
Feb 15, 2016

This film let me down. Studio Ghibli is my favorite!!! THey create such fantastic movies! BUt this one was just bad. I regret seeing this movie. I'm sad the last Miyasaki movie will be this one. Don't watch please!!!!!!!! Just watch Totoro again!

Hachikira's avatar
Jan 28, 2016

(A nostalgia critic parody).  And now its time for Otaku reviews with Bill E. Otaku tonight's review :the wind rises.   OH MY HARUHI THIS THE GREATEST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!       And it's a Ghibl movie!  Won't ya be my neighbor totoro?  SPOILERS!       So theres this guy called Jiro and he wants to be a pilot but nearsightedness prevents it .   I was nearsighted once !  I tryed to get piccolo to give me laser surgery my pupils got ear muffs.  The movie opens with an Italian quote despite those words not having an English translation provided even in the Dub so it adds nothing to the story unless you look it up.    I was Italian once there was a green dinosaur pokemon and a fire breathing turtle for some reason .    So Jiro gets ontop of the roof cuz that's safe  gets in an airplane and flys through the sky and under a bridge to the cheers of all the people! HOORAY!!!      But then missles chanting cultish stuff destroy Jiros airplane and knock em out of the sky KABOOM(Wilhelm scream).     But it was just a dream....convenient.    Jiro sees this kid being bullied and then he's like "Leave em alone " but the other guys are like "afecfswsdas" and they have the screams of 9 year olds even though there tall and ugly enough to be much older and its creepy .     Jiro stops them with Judo .    I practised Judo once !   I was knocked out and woke up in a lobster costume in a Dumpster in akihibara ....that was a fun Thursday.       Next Jiros on a roof....again and within a dream ... Again.    And he talks to a guy who sounds like the count from Sesame Street"3 boezing 707s haha".   And Jiro is like "this is my dream " but counts like "no this is my dream" and then he calls the dream his kingdom.       I had a kingdom once !  It had a moving castle and was built and destroyed in a day.      For a few seconds count has yellow skins as he flies away in the moonlight ....style choice or animation error I dunno but he looked like a Simpsons character.      Time skip and French girl catchs Jiros hat  .      Everything's quiet and peaceful until DEMON MEGA EARTHQUAKE!  .      Later Jiro finds out count really did make the plane !  Row Row Row your boat gently don't the stream merrily merrily merrily this movie has a fetish with dreams.     "Tell me Japanese boy is the wind still rising?" HOORAY!!!    So I really liked the wind rises or what little I saw of it before being kicked out of the theater .     This is Bill E.Otaku saying YEN?! YA GOT YEN?! OH HELP A GUY OUT WILL YA?! CMON YEN!!!!   I'll pilot a plane ! I'm good at barrel rolls!

CaseyJewels's avatar
Jan 27, 2017

This was a beautiful movie. The animation was beautiful, the characters were great, and the story was one I had never seen told before. A lot of attention is given to Germany in the years leading up to WWII, but I've never heard Japan's side of the story. I loved watching as Japan tried to rebuild itself and as they tried to stay in the flight race.

Most of all, what I loved was Jirou. He knew his dream from a young age, and it was the pursuit of his dream that really drew me in. He is extremely smart, but the way is not easy for him, with Japan trying to recover from the first world war. Still, he never gives up, and his enjoyment of flight is presented in such a way that is is easy for anyone to be excited with him.

Then there's Naoko. I loved her. She added a bit of romance to the story, and she and Jirou were so cute together. I was rooting for them the whole time.

The ending left me feeling bittersweet. I loved almost everything about the movie, but that bit near the end... Why did that have to happen? While it wasn't a flaw, it did make me enjoy this movie just a little bit less. But I'll probably still buy this movie. I want to rewatch the movie to make sure, but I do think it's one of my favorite Miyazaki films. It left me with such a sense of magic and wonder.