The Royal Tutor - Reviews

Alt title: Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine

Bubblebishie's avatar
May 3, 2017

Ok so we have been given this little treat of an anime for this season and I must say I'm certainly surprised at how much I am enjoying it to the point it's now my favourite of this seasons . It's humorous and enjoyable  ..

We have Heine who is half the size of an average man ( child looking and cute) he is the Royal tutor to the 4 very gorgeous princes , kai ( first expressions cold , later we see he actually really sweet and mischaracterized)  , Bruno ( smart pants ) , Leonhard (tsundere) & licht (an absolute flirt ) who's personalities all differ.. they have personal reasons of why they each disliked their  previous teachers but heine has made it clear he will build a trust and teach them what the others couldn't ... Questions that you ask yourself who is Heine ? What's his past and who the hell is the older brother

So for the sound and animation I think it's done brilliantly, gorgeous and Sharp and pretty detailes with the hair and eyes ( which in my opinion is what usually draws me in more )  .. catchy OP and ED ...

But seriously dudes this is just my personal opinion I defiantly suggest giving this a go

asterris's avatar
Sep 24, 2017

Cheesy, and cliche, nevertheless I found myself enjoying this short comedic series, The Royal Tutor. The real question is why? Honestly it shouldn't take long to review, as this show presents simple goals and fulfills them in a satisfactory manner.

Story 7/10:

The story is nothing new, a tutor (Heine) comes to teach 4 princes with a bad reputation for scaring off tutors, they don't like him at first, then they come to respect and like him. There's a few episodes for each prince to get their charater fleshed out, etc. etc. the last arc is the MC getting his past fleshed out, the end.

The point of this story is 65% comedy with 35% of people improving as people, better suited to be 'king'. Could be titled the 'misadventures of the royal tutor as he teaches princes 1-4 life lessons'.

Despite the simplicity of it all, I thought it accomplished and tied up what the show set out to be from the start. The princes all become better people by the end of their arc, the MC does not show any progress really. They are set as the 'perfect mentor', an 'op charater' so to speak. They are also the driving force for the princes to make a change in their way of thinking.

Another aspect I enjoyed was a slight mixing of the 4 princes in many scenes. I wasn't great meshing, but in shows like these one can expect the charater arcs to leave out the other princes for another day so just one can be focused on. Leaving out complexity of any relationships when they are in a group. This did happen, but not to the extent I was expecting, near the start, in between and at the end the princes did have a quite a few scenes of interaction with eachother.

For what the show was trying to go for, they did an ok job. There was changing in settings along the way, and overall the main goals were accomplished with the end of the series wrapping up perfectly with the MC's past revealed. Some schemeing and drama dashed in here and there. So, while I found the plot slightly boring, I also found it satisfying enough for the purpose of the story itself.

Animation 9/10:

I noticed some drawings of characters was slightly odd and sloppy at times, when other times it was eye candy. In general, the backgrounds and scenery definately had an air of 'royalty' and was well done and a bit complex at times.

Sound 8.5/10:

A few instrumental pieces that fit well with the theme of 'royalty', opening and ending themes were ok.

Charaters 7.5/10:

Here's where I enjoyed the show. Ultimately I like the internal monologues of the MC the most. They were expressionless, blunt, and truthful at all times, as well as sarcastic towards the princes many times. The type of apathetic dead beat humor that I really enjoy, while also being perfect at academics and martial arts... Seeing Heine take everything dead serious and transform into a silly little chibi was entertaining. If, say, a girl/boy that had no idea what they was doing was switched for the MC, I would have found the show far too trite, so having it be Heine's charater type is important.

The other charaters consisted of a King, who was very king-y, the prince that was incredicbly stupid but good at sports, the prince who looked scary (had weird hair my least fav.) but is actually super kind, playboy prince, and booksmart prince. Because of additional personality traits and time dedicated to them, while each of their 'stories' in the show was completely predictable, I didn't find them overly 2D or boring. Coupled with a bit of comedy and lenghty explainations from Heine, it was pretty enjoyable to watch.

Overall 7.5/10:

Can't say it was boring enough or poor for a 7(close though), but not really original enough in anyway for an 8.

This show wanted to have a tutor teaching some princes life lessons in a comedic way, and it accomplished it in a way not completely dull. Albeit I enjoyed watching it but I couldn't always be in the right mood to do so. There was just enough seriousness that I was kept watching, though any plot that unfolded was rather cheesy. Still, the animation was nice, and I ended up enjoying it more than I expected. I would recommend to those who want a bit of princely eyecandy, a stone faced MC with interal dialogue and a bit of comedy, and a bit of the setting of being in a royal palace.

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 sound
AquamarineGem's avatar
Jul 2, 2022

The Royal Tutor is the most insightful anime I watched because it taught me so many valuable life lessons. The main character: Heine has a very wise, caring, and insightful personality. He gives the princes precious advice on how to interact with others, and fix the princes' shortcomings.  For example, Heine once said: "because you know your weaknesses you hold a higher standard. Those who recognize their vulnerability can be kind and sensitive to others."

Heine not only pays attention to the princes' interests and personalities. He also finds a way to appeal to the princes, and motivate the princes to do their best. He is not an ordinary tutor. He is very tolerant of the princes. He tries to understand the princes for their true selves and doesn't base his judgement on rumors. His kind and caring personality helps the princes overcome their weaknesses. For example, Kai is very awkward with people outside his family. Heine teaches Kai how to be polite and respectful of others outside the royal family.

In my opinion, Heine is the perfect tutor for the princes because he is very mature, and understanding. Bruno is the prince that respects him the most, and calls him "master". I believe he is the perfect tutor because he truly tries to be patient, and cares for the princes.

The character designs are very attractive, and detailed. Their beautiful shiny hair looks glossy and neat. Although the anime can be cliche, and generic. I truly believe that the anime had a lot of significant quotes that are relatable, and wise.

mdchan's avatar
Sep 3, 2019

It's time for a lesson!

Honestly, I'd like to know why it took me this long to find this anime; it's lighthearted, fun, amusing, and easy to re-watch.  What it lacks in an overarching plot, it makes up for in its cast of colorful characters as well as how it concludes each episode's problem in a satisfactory way.

...plus, I love it whenever Heine says "You need a lesson".

Plot/Story

Heine Wittgenstein is personally selected by the King of Glanzreich to teach the King's four youngest sons (ages 14, 15, 16, and 17) both material they should know for general education as well as what it means to be ready for the throne.  Although the eldest is next in line for the throne, it's still a five-way race of who is actually selected to be the next King.

The anime goes over Heine's trials to do his job, as well as the princes' personal trials in their lives.  Meanwhile, there's an overall mystery of "just who is Heine Wittgenstein", as nobody but the King seems to know anything about his background.

The characters completely make the anime, and thus I'll just give basic descriptions so as to avoid spoilers and character growth seen during the anime.

Heine Wittgenstein - A stoic man, age unknown, with a height complex due to being only 155cm (5') tall.  He never smiles, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care for his students as he will face any situation (including jumping from a third story window) to groom the oddball princes for the throne.

Kai von Glanzreich - The eldest of the four princes at the age of 17 with a sharp gaze which causes people to be afraid of him.  However, there's more than meets the eye (literally) when it comes to his personality.

Bruno von Glanzreich - At 16, the scholarly prince worked hard to learn all he can and thus feels that there is nothing a tutor can teach him.  He is very "by the book", yet seems to have another side which comes out thanks to Heine's treatment of him.

Leonhard von Glanzreich - An athletic 15-year old prince who quickly comes off as being rather childish both in his attitude and his way of thinking.  He is the most opposed to Heine (and tutors in general), yet that doesn't mean he isn't lacking in his own strong points.

Licht von Glanzreich - The capricious and happy-go-lucky playboy 14 year old prince.  He appears to not take anything seriously, yet perhaps there's something more to just the fun-loving playboy.

Music/Animation

A couple categories I don't typically touch upon unless there's something to really note.

The animation is great and doesn't really boast much of any repeated footage, nor does it have any awkward CGI to cringe at.  It can go from serious to chibifying the characters (especially Heine) quickly and in all the proper moments.

The music is catchy and upbeat which captures the entire feel of the show, and there's even a little treat at the end of one of the episodes featuring "P4 and T".  I won't say any more about it.

That said, it might take a couple episodes to get used to Heine's voice (not expecting such a deep voice from a character that short and young looking).  Although in the end I conceded that Keisuke Ueda certainly did a great job, I initially thought that perhaps someone like Yuki Kaji might have been a better fit (especially during a flashback scene in the final couple episodes to a younger Heine).  That said, after watching this a few times, Keisuke Ueda does a superb job at having his voice completely match the personality of Heine.

Overall

A solid anime which delivers exactly what it set out to do:  Laughs and lessons.

There is a fight scene here and there, but don't come to this anime expecting fights and action; it's purely character driven and motive driven rather than action-driven.  Still, it most definitely delivers on that.

The viewer can even learn a thing or two from Heine's teaching, and some of the things he says can still be taken in context for today's day and age no matter where one lives.  Certainly, the final episode inspired me to think long and hard about the political system of my country.

The pacing is also on point; the first couple episodes introduces the characters, and the next few are getting to know them with character development.  Then, as usual for a cour, the final couple episodes contain the "clash" of the series; the climax of the building mystery surrounding Heine.

That said, the anime isn't without its flaws.  One later episode (as the mystery of "who is Heine" was reaching its peak) contained what was supposed to be a funny and amusing scene...and in the manga, it was hilarious.  However, I found I couldn't enjoy the tomfoolery of the antics of the princes due to the looming shadow of the buildup into the final two episodes.

I feel this is a fun, overlooked little gem of an anime.  After reading what I could find of the manga, I wish that some of the scenes in the anime had matched the manga counterparts...but for the most part it did follow the manga pretty accurately (although Heine's past is still untouched in the manga).

The character of the eldest prince (whom we only see at the very end) is also very different from his manga counterpart.

If you're a fan of comedy, slice of life, and-or character-driven anime with an overall light tone to it then this is definitely something you'll want to watch.

9.5/10 sound
Meloney01's avatar
Sep 3, 2020

Warning: Random dribble of a review from a weird fangirl.

Absolutly adored this anime. Something fun, lighthearted and different to watch. Easily in my top 5 anime of all time and I have watched a bit of anime.

Has a bit of comdey and can be a little cheesy, but it all makes it what it is.

The animating art style is beautiful and the characters are all nice and easy on the eyes.

Its refreshing to not have romances going on, and did not seem to head off in the yaoi direction (Thank goodness).

Good go to anime for a re-watch when you can not be bothered sifting through anime lists online for something to enjoy while winding down for the evening.

Its an anime that makes you reflect on yourself to some extent in regards to wanting to imporve yourself, not sure how that connectoin was made in my tiny mind but this anime managed it.

Only negative is that the series is way to short. There is a seperate movie but its not really enough to be honest.

9.7/10 animation