The Rising of the Shield Hero

Alt title: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Add review
jiexi20's avatar
May 18, 2020

The first episodes were interesting and could've been a very good anime. Everyone was anticipating just how this hated main character was going to gain everyones favor but it didn't turn out very well. It kinda turned into a harem at some point. IT was also disturbing how Raptalia grew and matured very fast and gained romantic feelings for him when she thought of him as a father and he cared for her as a daughter.

JesusValentine's avatar
May 2, 2020

I am very glad i stumbled across this anime. I have been powering through the "alternative world/fantasy" genre types and this has got to be one of my prefered to watch. While there is nothing particuarly spectacular about the animation/sound/characters, the way the story is told is extremely well done. There are some parts where I am surprised I was not shouting at my TV beacause of my anger against the abuse the MC was getting. It's also great because it has a lot of episodes so once you get into it, it doesnt just stop like a few other animes i have been watching revently.

9.8/10 overall
Velerok's avatar
Apr 22, 2020

Gonna keep it short. Its a anime worth watching. Started strong for a few episodes , then kinda got boring at least for myself in the middle  , with all the drama and plots but it reedemed itself in episode 21. Satisfactory ending.

I enjoyed the story , it all made sense except the fact that the queen din't take actions a lot earlier , even allthough she was aware of what the king and second princess were up too. But episode 21 made up for all that nonsense.

I liked almost everything about the anime , with the exception of a few characters.

Motoyasu.....as a character is useless...i understand that they needed him to be gulible, but i just found it to just be unbelivable how stupid really is. I feel , if they would have made him less gulible , that he would have come across as a more esential character.

The Second Princess is just useless as a character , i just felt she did not add anything to the story , that could not have been added any other way. Filo was already the token loli for the anime, they should not have added another one.

I cannot get past of my dislike towards Raphtalia , i just feel like i seen the exact same appearance and personality for her character in other anime . This is just my personal oppinion but i disliked everything about her since she din't seem to be something original in any shape or form. There was 1 moment when she could have redeemed herself in my eyes , when she was holding a blade against her formal captive , instead of letting him live , she could have killed him , and she would have just been so much more credible in my eyes.

Overall a good anime to add to anyone's collection.

xida2t's avatar
Apr 17, 2020

Let’s get straight to the point.

Great dubbed anime is not a myth; in this series’ case, my statement seems laughable.

When Melty made her debut, she broke my speakers with her unbelievably high-pitched voice. The dub vs the sub controversy is not what I hate most about the Rising of the Shield Gyro.

What bothers me the most is the impropriety this show exemplifies.

The cat ear chick (which hardly looks real on her) was about 5-10 years old at the start of the show. She may have aged to around 16-20 years old after a week of leveling up. Apparently, demi-humans age when they level up (hmmmmmmmmm).

Being a demi-human does not change the fact that she’s 5-10 years old with a fake older body.

But it’s just a game, and their NPCs made of binary. Sure, this anime is based on a game; however, it ambiguously implies romance between an underaged girl and a college male (one could make a hefty amount of hentai titles based on this show’s plot and characters).

Back to the “this show being based on a game” thing. I came to watch an RPG type anime series with lots of level grinding, adventures, and intriguing unlocks — a show that makes me reminisce the times of when I avidly played MMORPG type games.

Instead, I have to witness a cliché anime romance story filled with enough blushes to give makeup companies a run for their profit.

Folly, folly, folly, folly....folly—Oh how I hate the treacherous folly.

~I find it extraordinarily hilarious that this show’s most hated character is what makes this anime somewhat redeemable.

SIKE! Maybe it might redeem itself when I come back to it in 10-30 years from now.

azalea1022's avatar
Apr 11, 2020

I didnt have high hopes for this anime I just wanted to frind diffrent anime to watch but i was plesently suprised It has a grat story and has a charater that isnt overly kind like most shonen anime protaganists also the concept of demi humans are cute Its not a perfect anime but i believe that it is worth watching and i enjoyed watchins it

9.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
duirwuff's avatar
Apr 10, 2020

I'm an amateuriish anime fan and by no means an Otaku or any kind of expert. I watch anime for the story, character development, and overall plotlines.

The first episode was difficult for me to deal with for personal reasons, but once I made it through the first few episodes, I developed a fondness for the overall story. We have another take on the "heroes summoned to another world to defend it" plotline, and the unfolding of the cognitive/social disconnects, a growing awareness of what reality is, and the classic move beyond the simple "good vs evil" paradigm.

As an American, some of the character development and storylines are difficult to swallow. However, the US idolizes the individual instead of the team and lacks the societal emphasis and respect for hierarchy found in many other cultures around the world so I link this to cultural differences more than any kind of sub-par writing.

There is a great deal of character growth and questions on morals and ethics which I find refreshing in the story, an awareness of consequences which is much more nuanced than in many series I've seen.

I have one main criticism which I find across the anime genre. Seriously, the party with females fawning over the male main character is... beyond tiresome, especially females fawning over the main character who seems to be oblivious to it. Is this playing out someone's fantasy, or is this a cultural thing I'm unaware of?

ianimefeebz's avatar
Apr 9, 2020

Alright the enjoyment of this anime definitely differs per person.

The story and animation was really great, I enjoyed the beginning a lot .. until his harem grew.

I think if I was a guy I would enjoy this more, but damn the harem really pissed me off. I really dislike harems, lolis, any annoying weak or high pitched girls, and what not.

Main girl was okay, but no not that lolicon bird that kept saying goshujin samaaa! and then his harem just kept growing and growing.... all the side chars he was interacting with were all little girls!

I do like how there was a mixture of dark and fun isekai vibes, and the plot was interesting so I will be checking out S2 nevertheless.

itarusaki's avatar
Mar 20, 2020

Naofumi (Shield Hero)'s path and growth was written quite well. How he remained his own version of kind to others even after all the pain, treachery and humiliation people made him go through. The ending with him using his gift from the Queen to rebuild Raphtalia's village was pretty heartwarming too. However I had problems with how the other three heroes were put in this anime. They're supposed to unite (as what Fitoria said), yet to the very end the other three have proven how extremely useless and aggravating they are compared to the 'weakest/lowest' one out of all four. I also feel that they don't have enough depth of character. Aside from the Spear Hero filling a sort of antagonist role, they just felt like fillers/backdrop characters and not the main characters I feel should have been. There could have been a better build up of suspense between the four if the main thing they were supposed to achieve was unity to defeat the Waves. Most characters (not just the heroes) were flat and generic. I was also aggravated by how episode 25 did not end with the Final Wave. They had been fighting all this time, Fitoria even said there'll be a time where the Wave demands for the heroes to choose what they fight for, but that climax never came and now I just feel more irritated than empty or disappointed. The Filolials were super cute though. The friendship factor is good too. I just feel like this anime could've been way better if the other three heroes weren't as useless, and that antagonists like Malty and the King were given stronger reasons as to why they had went unbelievable lengths to strip the Shield Hero of his good name. Animation is fine.

Archert's avatar
Feb 2, 2020

Es simplemente perfecta.

Una animación muy bien conseguida, una banda sonora delicada y espectacular, muy cuidada. Los personajes que para mi es su punto más fuerte rebosan personalidad transmitiendo numerosas sensaciones a lo largo de la serie. Su baza más floja quizás sea (por ponerle algo) la base sobre la que se sostiene que es "un videojuego" pues ya hemos visto muchos animes donde el protagonista entra en un mundo de fantasía a "salvarlo", aun así supieron hacerlo suyo y llevar al argumento a algo original y lo más importante "entretenido".

Con series como esta jamas dejaría de ver anime, un 10.

(La nota genera aumenta debido a su entretenimiento).

9.5/10 story
9.2/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
MRALLICORNYT's avatar
Feb 2, 2020

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

9.9/10 overall
DemonicWOLF666's avatar
Jan 31, 2020

Best anime I've seen in a long time. The story was fantastic. Put this on your watch list

wiegert's avatar
Jan 28, 2020

Another show about an average guy that gets summoned to a fantasy world, becomes strong and gets all the girls at his feet.

thrawn17's avatar
Jan 21, 2020

I'll come back to write a long review later, but I just finished this show a few minutes ago and I gotta say it was legitimately awesome. The action, the story, the WRITING omg, the characters and their developments, the quality of both the sub and the dub for voice acting, the amazing soundtrack and opening songs, I could go on and on. But I won't

YES, IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD. NOW GO WATCH IT YOURSELF

sarahpuryear's avatar
Jan 16, 2020

Man, I love this show. I didn't realize how much I was going to like it after watching the first episode. The first episode had me hooked instantly. It was so good! The characters were amazing (Except Myne). I really loved watching the friendship form between Naofumi, Raphtalia, filo, and melty. Their friendship is the absolute cutest thing. His relationship with Raphtalia is my favorite thing ever. I can't wait for the next season!

8.8/10 animation
animefan04's avatar
Jan 14, 2020

I am new to Otaku culture and being a  anime fan myself but I know that this show is definitely better than other animes in its category. It isn't about just some loner guy getting transported to a game like world just to build a harem and so on. Honestly speaking, I was shocked when I realized how much I liked this consider my most recent endeavors throught the world of anime. I plan on watching the next season if it is to come. I've never read the manga but I am sure I would like if not love it. The noob otaku is out, anime for life!

9.8/10 overall
emilikesanime's avatar
Jan 11, 2020

Overall, I really liked this anime. I haven't watched too many isekais so I really enjoyed watching a different type of anime. Although, I was hoping for a bit more romance in the plot. I know that this series doesn't focus on romance but it had my hopes up because Raphtalia loved Naofumi. I knew they would eventually show some romance but I just wish it was a bit more. I probably sound really picky but this is just my personal taste. I could go more into detail about the whole romance thing but right now I will move into the story plot. The overall plot was good but, it kinda is a clasic plot if you think about it. The protagonist being hated for crimes they didnt commit, meeting trustfull friends to get them through it, and the antagonists being caught and everything being all good. Don't get me wrong, I loved the plot and how they added so many interesting things to make it feel different from other plots, and trust I knoe it is very hard to come up with an orignal plot so I am glad that the creators made it how it was. And also, this is me being picky again but, I tend to watch animes that have good art styles or just interest me in general, again this is my personal taste, not only did this anime interest me in the art style but I also was very interested in this anime to begin with. Just from watching the ads I became quickly obsessed with watching this series as soon as I get the chance to. And look at me, finishing it in three days ^^;. I also enjoyed the opening and ending music, as well with the their animation. The animation in the endings were different from the actual anime so it made me feel a bit relaxed because it seemed softer and used less animation to make it look good, you could say its simple yet awesome. I know this is getting a bit long so I will wrap it up here, I overall give this anime a 9/10 and in stars it would be a 4/5? idk- but anyways, this series allowed me to take a good break from all the drama thats happening in another anime I'm watching, and I am so excited for a season two! and possibly three. welp- feel free to give me critiq because I know everyone has different opinions, just don't be rude ab it :3

StevenSAKUJO's avatar
Jan 8, 2020

Story [2/10]

The Rising of the Shield Hero is an isekai following one of the four people summoned to a medieval fantasy world to fight as its protectors. Everyone in the world is more or less following an MMORPG format, where they gain exp, items and fight monsters. Their goal is to defend against the "waves" which summon an array an of monsters that threaten to destroy the civilised world. Of the four heroes, the shield hero is treated differently, he is viewed as weak and useless by the kingdom he's supposed to be protecting. Which leads to Naofumi, the shield hero, having to fight not only for the people and companions he's been summoned to protect but also against them.

Like most isekai set in an MMORPG world, the world violates just about every MMORPG expectation the viewer might have and although the shield hero is supposed to be weak, you'd only ever believe that because it was told to you consistently. Naofumi is underleveled, undergeared and underpowered as a class but very consistently demonstrates that he is by far the most powerful hero of the four. His group which is also underleveled and by all expectations should be relatively weak is far stronger than any of the other parties.

Naofumi despite being portrayed as a disillusioned, angry outsider is always on the "right side" of moral issues. The other heroes are portrayed as vain, naive, untrustworthy, arrogant and spoiled. Naofumi is portrayed as a maverick but ultimately ends up just doing what's best for everyone else, as a hero should, while everyone around him are all kinds of crazy.

The storyline is outrageous most of the time, it's logically inconsistent and the main characters enjoy plot armour and despite living in a dirty and complicated world, never manage to get themselves dirty a single time. Mud is being flung everywhere but our protagonist is only ever lied about to create conflict and despite being portrayed as an underpowered, ruthless maverick he is really none of those things. Which in my mind is a very consistent problem in many anime.  What I've pointed out aside, there are still many other ridiculous aspects to the story and nothing can be taken too seriously.

If you enjoyed Sword Art Online or Noragami as examples, you'd almost certainly like The Rising of the Shield hero but it has similar problems in my view. Watch our overpowered protagonist and his harem save the world, it's not really sold like that but that is what it is.

Animation [9/10]

The characters and the world of The Rising of the Shield Hero are animated really well, battles in the anime are flashy yet measured and abilities look unique and interesting. There are some CG monsters which do look really bad but there are not too many and generally the medieval fantasy and gorgeous landscapes more than makeup for that.

Sound [8/10]

As a stand-alone, the OST has quite a number of noteworthy tracks though how well they fit into the fantasy medieval genre is debatable, I guess it doesn't really need to anyway. Voice acting can be at times annoying but that's just characters trying to be cute, generally, I thought it was fine.

Characters [2/10]

Outside of those friendly to the shield hero, nobody is really given a chance to be anything but either crazy, amoral, naive, stupid or some other kind of degrading feature. It is genuinely impossible to like any of the antagonists or other characters except perhaps a "wow she/he looks cool" and that might not happen either. Within those friendly to Naofumi, there's his harem which pretty much entirely consists of children and if we added up their ages (3 girls), I would be surprised if we got over 15, not kidding.

You can like his harem but similarly "looks cool" or "is cute" is as far as you'll get. As for Naofumi himself, he enjoys the "perks" of being an underdog, being caring, being angry, brooding and vengeful and so many other things while never dealing with any of the very logical consequences of those things. He's extremely anti-social but easily acquires very loyal followers, he's supposed to be the underdog but he's dominant over his peers, he is willing to endanger himself to protect others but he's never hurt as a consequence. There are no negative side-effects to his personality or his actions, he is always doing the right thing and never hesitates to do the right thing.

Overall [3/10]

I couldn't finish the anime but I am aware of how the season ends and it's more of the same. I myself don't mind isekai anime with overpowered characters provided that they're honest about it but even if The Rising of the Shield Hero didn't allow Naofumi to have his cake and eat it too, the plot is absurd and the characters are bland, uninspired and often completely ridiculous. It's still hard to wrap my head around just how absurd many of the significant plot points were throughout the anime, I am surprised I even made it to where I did.

Many people clearly enjoyed the anime and it's very highly rated, I can explain this only as people being willing to ignore the shortcomings of the story and rally behind Naofumi and his party against the absurd world they're trying to survive in. Naofumi shines as a great and noble person because he is surrounded by crazy, naive, amoral people with literally no redeeming features. His adversaries are continually humiliated and shown to lack any virtue. If you can get behind that and enjoy watching some righteous ass-kicking and some typical harem shenanigans then this anime is for you.

Pass99's avatar
Dec 28, 2019

well, it was certainly surprising, and very infuriating at times. some characters just didn't make any sense which is why i gave it a 7. the osts were super just super rlly loved it esp the one on ep 15. the plot is very intriguing, ik the characters which didn't make any sense were needed for the plot but like it could've been better. overall I rlly rlly enjoyed it to my surpeise discluding the irritating parts where the characters irrationally hate on the mc without giving him a chance to make things clear.

lovleiu's avatar
Oct 26, 2019

Everything was really planned out well. I feel like the over the top frustration was very needed in order to get the final message across. This leaves you all the more satisfied with how things ended in the anime.

There were many moments throughout the ending of the anime where I would have been fine with them ending the season, but the final few episodes really tied it all together and made it even more perfect. I will definitely be watching S2!

If you're debating on watching this, please do! I promise that by the end it'll be worth it.

Ny123's avatar
Oct 5, 2019

I really liked this anime. It is great to have an anime where the main character isn't instantly loved, and I liked the plot. It was nice to see the mc battle his hatred but still, sometimes succumb to it. This was an amazing anime to watch.

Tms's avatar
Aug 3, 2019

Nice fresh breeze of wind inmidst of shows that do not progress whatsoever or simply cram everything into 12ep expecting you to actually care. While I'm looking forward for the next installment of the show, it does leave lot to be desired.

The best part of the show is in the begining as our protagonist is actually embracing the crap that is being thrown at his way by treating people as they are treating him. Until they go too far with that idea and simply keep throwing crap on him without any seemingful reason. The "masterminds" have no reason whatsoever for anything, one seemed to have actual sliver of reason that is never dwelved into so that there would be reason for his actions, rest of them have nothing whatsoever... No plot reasoning, no quirells or missunderstandings, not even mob mentality...

The plot seems to have hard time deciding what it wants to do. On one hand it tells us that the heroes must work together to save the world, but 5 seconds later tells that the heroes must split in order to become stronger. Appereantly the weapons nullify each others effectiveness. The shield our hero carries appereantly has no offensive capabilities, despite being effective blunt weapon. Yet shortly thereafter becomes THE ultimate plot armor capable of litterely everything BUT combat, until well plot changes again. 99% of the things that the shield does have nothing to do with shield: refining herbs, enchanting potions, turning into rope, turning into a book, creating poison/antidote, turning into megaphone. Our hero struggles for few episodes and comes up with clever ways to deal with his problems and then the creators went full on "fk it" mode and give him everything.

TL:DR It's alright show but it suffers greately from poorly thought out characters, plot, and simply from making another show with perfect hero/party. Enjoyable to watch if you have no real expectations. For 'seasoned veterans' looking for indepth well thought out story, this is not the one you are looking for.

Samantha1's avatar
Aug 2, 2019

At first I was really unsure if I should watch this, mostly because of two reasons: 1. It´s another isekai anime, 2. The bad ratings in the comment section, saying how it includes loli, harem and shit like that. But seeing how its rated a 4.5/5, I thought "it cant be that bad, right?" and Im glad I gave it a chance. The rising of the shield hero has a great story and its not "yet another boring isekai anime". In the first episode you get to see how the protagonist is teleported into the other world and get to know why and for what reason. He has a character changing right after episode 1 due to some happenings and though appearing cold and mean on the outside, he keeps being the kind soul that he is. The 2. protagonist is the girl that accompanies him, also a lovely and enjoyable character.

Honestly, this anime reminded me alot of black bullet, another anime I liked very much, cause of the protagonist and his female companion. While its true that there´s a loli included in the group, it does nothing bad to the storyline. There arent any perverted jokes made, harem like stuff or fanservice. So I seriously can´t agree with the previous commentors. And if you want to avoid isekai animes like I did, I can also recommend it, cause it being an isekai anime does nothing bad to the story line as already said. I definitely recommend it.

ClubFoot's avatar
Jul 23, 2019

There is an assumption the Isekai genre has conquered the anime industry. Even though it’s true or not, every season, there must be one anime with such the genre. With the title which is sometimes weird, the genre is planting a doctrine to fans who are new to anime. While I’m a bit skeptical here, we need something new. We need original anime again, not following the same pattern and a fresh new idea. And from the sky, a savior light appeared and “The Rising of the Shield Hero” tried to unite everything.

Okay, I read the manga and actually, I didn’t have much expectation in this show. The impression with a little bit of “Taxi Driver” might be a new idea. Travis Bickle and Naofumi Iwatani seem to have the same characteristics, initially innocent characters, but the society and the system alienated both of them. Yeah, I also wanted if Naofumi spoke to himself while facing the mirror and saying, “You talkin’ to me?” I was hoping for that. The description of Naofumi’s life can be said like that, as he is our main character, the shield hero, society immediately alienates him. However, this show cannot be compared to the genre, especially our MC, which is always like such.

You know what I’m talking about. Overpowered, God-like power character, Gary Stu, very easy to solve problems, and a lot of harems. And by the way, this is a zero to anti-hero story, not zero from a hero. He starts to buy the cheapest slave, a demi-human, at the auction and tries to train her. And this is where the anime community nosebleed. Because we already have Holo from “Spice and Wolf” so why not? Yeah, it’s hard too to think considering this anime, when it first aired, has a lot of controversies. But, just getting rid of the crap and let’s talk about this show.

So, the story goes from the main character, Naofumi, who always tries to be exiled every time he meets “elitist”. I don’t know why I use that term but it’s okay. Yet, I’m not too trying to assume this is stressful because the plot isn’t too dependent on the genre. It’s just about our main character, along with other side characters such as Raphtalia and Filo, trying to help Naofumi in a precarious circumstance. Every time Naofumi is being cornered, they are always there so if there are no two of them, Naofumi is nothing. On the side of society treated him like a scumbag, I like the grim characteristics of our main character. The societies are exiled but we sympathize because what makes it in the first place is one reason.

For an Isekai genre, the story doesn’t only race against the development of our anti-hero character. But, it’s more complex than you think. The story combines a lot of conspiracy in it. There are anti-government, anti-religion, and other agendas. For a fantasy show especially Isekai, this is new. In fact, if I take a linguistic in my college and try to research this show, then this is my thesis. Yet, it’s strange if I’m introducing “anime” in front of my lectures and maybe, it’s just a little awkward.

It’s easy to say this anime belongs to waifu-baiting, remembering there is a little fanservice on this show as well. However, you can also hate it for such a reason and it seems, you just make me like an idiot. If you want to find these shows because of the sexual allegation agenda or anything, then we are all idiots. The show isn’t really bad at doing these. It’s just self-explanatory, to begin with. It’s a show about our anti-hero who just wants to find his charm and his adventure after his backstory leads him to this Isekai. At least, we also never know the reason and common sense. But, why not?

Naofumi is a kind of guy you want to hang out with, talking to, with so much backstory, is just one reason why we root him. Why is he like that, we know everything. Behind the scene, he is so kind to everyone, but has a deep hatred for other heroes and “government”. Because, all this time, we’ve never got the Isekai genre, or maybe Fantasy, which has a very clear motivation and morality in its main character. Other heroes are just useless, don’t have opinions but also never think critically and never stands on its own. This reason makes Naofumi very, very rootable for us, for the audience, for fans. He realized if he was exiled, he realized he wasn’t in the real world, and we also realized Raphtalia was innocent. Hold on!

I mean, it’s Isekai. So, why worry about this? Yeah, I also think that the ending of this show can’t reach the manga and it’s very difficult to think like that. But, you, at least, can be satisfied with the scene between Naofumi and the Queen of Melromarc deserving of everything, after the first episode to the finale. The animation is just decent and there is a CGI, might be difficult to enjoy as well. But, it needs time so you can adjust. The performance is at the top-notch and the soundtrack is just Isekai-ish.

“The Rising of the Shield Hero” changes the genre, modifying Isekai, with great narrative, comes with something we don’t really bother or annoyed with. Because this is a fantasy anime. The rest is very difficult to incorporate into the genre. Living in a fantasy world, video games pulled you into its world, but Naofumi, on the final day, was Travis Bickle. This is one of the shows deserve to be analyzed more in terms of story, agenda, and character. The system feared and hated Naofumi.

CoruptAngel's avatar
Jul 17, 2019

TL/DR; I liked the anime, especially the opening themes. Pretty good story and character development overall in the show. It’s a breath of fresh air for Isekai lovers and it touches on real world problems we face in today’s society.

The show starts like a normal Isekai but quickly turns into a subversion of expectations once Naofumi is FLASLY accused of rape by a woman. Her goal was nothing more than to use him for his money and then try to have him killed with her fake rape accusations to cover her tracks. This makes him resent the world he was pulled into and he dives deep into depression and hatred. He improves slowly after meeting Raphtalia a Demi-human raccoon girl he purchased as a slave since no one would willingly work with an accused rapist. I think this very much hits home on how our court of public opinion handles rape accusations without having all if any evidence to prove it. Eventually he fully accepts his roll as a cardinal hero and the person who accused him of rape is justly punished for her crimes giving a resolution to the arc. From there it’s just a pretty normal Isekai with a lovable cast of adorable female characters. Not really surprising but the only male “main” characters are the cardinal hero’s. Not a bad story overall if still just an Isekai at times but it’s definitely worth a watch if you have the time.

8.5/10 characters
raiokai's avatar
Jul 12, 2019

I wasn’t entirely sure if I was going to like this series, as at first glance, it seems very typical... a teenage otaku is summoned to another world, where he is expected to become one of four cardinal heroes and save their world from destruction. Simple enough, I can think of numerous anime with a similar plot.

However, I really enjoyed it and it kept me hooked throughout. It takes a different path with it’s storyline than most other series.

The characters are extremely well written - Naofumi is not annoyingly overpowered, and his guild are so loveable (Raphtalia has become one of my favourite characters ever). The antagonists are one of the things I’m most impressed with in regard to writing... they are villains you love to hate, and I have never been so satisfied seeing a character’s downfall!

It contains the perfect mix of fun moments and fighting action, and the animation is really pretty.

I cannot wait for series two! If you haven’t watched The Rising of the Shield Hero yet, go and do it right now!

7.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
Sailnir's avatar
Jul 12, 2019

Gah! It started out so good! Got stinking sappy. Started to get good again and then fell into a pit of so much sappiness that I couldn't wait to get out of it!

OK it wasn't THAT bad. The story was charming, the tone was light, the animation was decent if not amazing, the music was worth listening to. I felt like they could have made it in 20 episodes and it would have been far better. Just cut some of the crap out. It fell into some tropes like the harem and other things but it turned out decently.

Recomendations:

If you want a darker tone go with Re: Zero

If you want a more fun happy skippy jumpy plot that is better done: That Time I was reincarnated as a Slime.

AxelDagger's avatar
Jul 11, 2019

staerted well then ended in shit

TeHP1nkSh33p's avatar
Jul 9, 2019

Great first episode followed by a full-throttle plunge into mundane shounen mediocrity.

Unfortunately I held onto the hope that it'd turn itself around later into the season, it didn't. By the time I wanted to stop, I figured I was too far in to not know how it ended. Watching the last 7 episodes at 2x playback speed was the only way I was able to suffer through it, glad to know I never need to watch another episode after its last.

Such squandered potential.

Characters turned out all to be generic cardboard cutouts with minimal development. Maximum plot armour with zero consequences for stupid behaviours. Endless ham-fisted lolicon fanservice (more like disservice) and un-earned harem scenarios. Does anyone above the age of 14 even enjoy that anymore?

Waste of time.

6.5/10 animation
apoc9's avatar
Jul 6, 2019

Aside watching the anime I’ve already read all released volumes of the manga, which covers the first and part of the second arc. Rise of the Shield Hero is one of the countless isekai light novel adaptation, but is it any good? I would say it is not as good as one would think after the first episode. It tricks viewer with few gimmicks to make illusion it’s somewhat better than average at best. Firstly it presents a silly notion, that a shield can’t be used as a weapon. Even a gamer, who never held the real thing, knows it is simply not true. Especially with magic, there are many ways a shield could be used as weapon to pummel enemies. Around the second wave the story makes a shift and starts to portray other three heroes as incompetent. Interaction with other heroes becomes about Naofumi being the only one able to act in responsible manner. That sets things upside down, because in the first wave the other three heroes were able to defeat the wave boss without Naofumi. The notion of having no weapon is abandoned, when the shield hero gets shield skills, which can be used as attack skills. It also flies against the notion of game-like world made by the three heroes at the beginning. In RPG games tank class occupation is usually very useful.
It presents main character as unjustly treated in order to gain sympathy from the viewers. The false rape accusation of main protagonist upsets all the modern feminist SJW types, even if this theme has been done before in movies. It upsets their silly narrative, that one should automatically have a blind faith in somebody, who claims to be a victim. However this whole conflict between Naofumi and the princess and in extension her father is just for the first arc. Once the first arc ends this issue is no longer there and the story shows how little there is to it. It show itself for what it is. It’s a fighting shounen and empowerment fantasy, where only the shield hero can save the day with some contribution of his party members. Even the resolution of the first arc is 5/10 at best. Did I mention the repeating theme of shield hero saving the day despite other heroes’ lack of cooperation?
There is kind of troll plot twist as some important information about the state and organization of power in the kingdom is revealed just towards the end of the first arc.
Mediocrity is even more obvious how every side kick is female and more or less in love with the main protagonist. Even the slave aspect of the story is in a countless fantasy manga series.
Surprisingly the anime doesn’t end with the first arc, but goes to the beginning of the second arc to end in a very rushed manner. The ending is shoehorned after one battle, which was not in any respect final battle. More like initial battle with the not so new enemies. Also it rushes into introducing a new side character amongst heroes. Animation and sound is ok, it is not really something exciting. Neither anything I would have issue with.
Overall the series was pretty average isekai destined to be forgotten as soon as the hype moves to the next thing.

Brister's avatar
Jul 2, 2019

Well I never really thought that i would ever write a review about anything on this website but this anime kinda forced me to I guess. If you love this animation you should probably turn away right now because this is going to be quite the rant about this oh so wonderful anime. *****Spoilers ahead*****

Let's kick this review off with the story. Not much to say in this regard, it's the standard isekai storyline. Bland guy getting teleported to a fantasy world by chance and getting the hero treatment or the like. I have to say that I had my hopes up after the first episode because of the refreshing take on the franchise. The hero got duped at the start and he was literally an outcast so he had to work his way back up in the eyes of the society or so you would have thought. The cast of the anime is so fucking dense it's unbelievable. I mean literally they tried to assassinate the second princess in the latter half of the story right in front of the other „heroes“ and they did not understand what was happening. Same when they nearly got killed by the church and they still believed it was Naofumi's elaborate scheme, it is fucking ridiculous. So getting back his reputation was impossible until the queen enslaved her own kin so that they would have to speak the truth, just wow. Naofumi isn't that bright either if you take a closer look at it, but he is nothing compared to the rest of the cast. Another really annoying part about the story is its deterioration into a loli harem. I mean seriously, does every fucking anime nowadays need to be ecchi or a harem or lolilike to sell? This development is really really sad. Anyways at the end of the season there were some glimmers of hope mainly named L'Arc and Therese, who were enjoyable characters and I hope to seem them again, if I should watch the next season (if there is going to be one).

Next up the animation. Huuuuuuh what it is there to say. Pretty good until you get to the CGI abominations called the filolias and the monsters in general. I know its cost efficiency is throught the roof but hell CGI sucks ass most of the time. The rest of the animations is good but I can't give it a good score because of the CGI bullshit.

Can't really say anything about the sound so I won't. Seemed good anyways.

What really grinds my gears is the score this anime gets. At the time I wrote this review it was ranked #53 on this website for animes. How is something like this ranked over the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken and so on. It makes no sense at all. It is not even good when you compare it to other isekai animes so how does it rank so high. I will not understand and actually I don't even care.

As you may have noticed, this is my opinion and I felt a need to share this because of the overwhelmingly positive response this anime gets. This will probably get on the nerves of a lot of people but that is fine for me. Feel free to slaughter this review if you so desire.

Ahmedwakil66's avatar
Jul 2, 2019

At the beginning this anime had a great potential to become one of the top 10 anime. First few episodes are really amazing. They successfully tossed me into an ocean of emotions. But after first few episodes I don't know why but the anime storyline was loosing it's quality rapidly. It was a gem in the beginning but after first few episodes it has turned into a coal. I'm disappointed 😔

Story rating

First few episodes 10/10

Middle episodes 3/10

Last few episodes 4/10

NatsumeJinko's avatar
Jul 1, 2019

If you're a seasoned anime veteran like myself, you've seen many Isekai shows before. You know all the tropes and what to expect from the story. Shield Hero knows that, and thus it grabs your expectations by the balls (literally) and smashes them into bits.

In your typical isekai anime, protagonist-kun has everything and is completely overpowered from the start. It's pure wish-fulfillment for the viewer to insert themselves into and nothing more. Shield Hero takes a different kind of viewer for a spin. This isn't your wish-fulfilment anime.

From the get-go we are introduced to the ugly world Naofumi is unwillingly sent off to protect and save. We see themes of discrimination, isolation, and the anguish that false accusations being not just to those who are accused, but to those who have experienced such atrocities.

Yes, Naofumi is falsely accused of raping the first princess, which has been seen as highly controversial. However, I believe the way it was handled through the story was respectful. It made Naofumi and his pain more relatable and human.

Compared to your usual copy and paste mc-kuns, I actually could feel what Naofumi felt. That painful ride alongside him from episode 1 to the 25th, the last episode, watching him fight to redeem himself, was completely worth it.

Even after watching the final episode, I still find it hard to like any of the characters outside of Naofumi's immediate party, which means the story is doing a damned good job at making you feel for him. Of course, the anime isn't completely dark and depressing. There's a lot of soft moments between him and his party members. All worth the pain and suffering Naofumi has to go through.

If you're sick of the copy and paste mc-kuns and crave a darker type of hero, or desire a different spin on the isekai genre, I highly recommend you to give this show a try. You won't regret it!

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jun 30, 2019

1) The hook
People were really hyped during the early episodes of The Shield Hero because of the Outrage culture. Just like it happened with Goblin Slayer some seasons before, the premise triggered the social justice warriors, which caused the defenders of the light novel to write long essays concerning how they are full of crap as usual, as well as how the show is actually a subversion of isekai. In turn, that attracted a lot of random people who got curious because of the controversy. Something which was expected with a touchy premise that includes fake rape allegations and pro-slavery themes.

As per usual, what matters the most is the execution and not the initial hook. Whatever the show was going for proved to be a dud. The hook in the beginning was just to lure people with rage and to keep them for as much as it could with the promise of justice porn. And by that I mean everyone was waiting impatiently for the protagonist to prove his innocence and make those who were responsible to pay. Which eventually he does. Pretty easily.

2) Characters
Despite the initial impression you were given about the protagonist, about not being overpowered, and not having every woman falling in love with him in a few seconds, he ends up being bland and one of the same shit. He is yet another neet otaku loser, who gets transported to a different world that works like a generic videogame, gets ultra powerful very fast, and amasses a harem of pretty girls who all love him for being bland and grumpy.

On top of that, he is entirely passive, which is not what you want from any fighting hero to be. Naofumi is constantly told what to do, instead of thinking for himself, and is then praised for doing what he’s told.
-Buying the slaves was not his idea, it was proposed by the slave merchant.
-Doing the missions that help the villagers was not his idea, it was the villagers asking for help.
-He did not want to be a team with the other heroes, the chocobo queen demanded it or she would kill him.
-The plot is retroactively proving him right for being passive and treats it like a heroic feat, when in reality he only comes off as a robot.

Also, Naofumi’s idea of working together as a team comes down to mocking the very people he is supposed to work with as a team, which should have had the exact opposite effect. Basically, the constant need of the author to provide justice porn, contradicts what they are supposed to be doing. And as it turns out the teamwork part was needless, since Naofumi didn’t have to say a thing in order to make the others to calm down and work as a team. That archbishop dude wanted to kill them and even went as far as revealing his evil plans right in front of them. He became a common enemy of the heroes by wanting to kill them. They automatically became a team in order to take down this enemy, so Naofumi did nothing besides mocking them.

But it’s okay, since character motivations make little sense in general. The iconic fake rape allegations for example, initially had no in-story reasoning. They just happened because the nobles wanted to incriminate Naofumi, and because the author needed to somehow create sympathy towards the protagonist via unreasonable victimizing. Many shows do the same as a lazy way of making the audience to hate people with authority, and for giving the moral high ground to the victimized protagonist. It’s almost like this is a light novel, aimed at otakus who blame society for not doing anything worthwhile with their lives and seek empowerment fantasy in the form of a jobless otaku with nothing but revenge porn on his mind… Oh, wait, that is exactly what it is.

Also, when the nobles and the clergy revealed the reason they did all their evil crap, it was just a shallow ‘because we don’t like him’. Yeah, it was that cheap, and on top of that it contradicted their very agenda.
-The cartoonishly evil religion hates the Shield Hero because the previous heroes of the same class were allied with the furry kingdom. So basically, they hate the current hero for nothing, since he didn’t do something to hurt them. He just belongs in the same class.
-The dogma of the cartoonishly evil religion is against the cute furry waifus, thus they seemingly justify their hate. And I say seemingly because they don’t, since the hate came before the Shield Hero had cute furry waifus. They hated him before he even got to have cute furry waifus.
-The Shield Hero was normally supposed to be summoned at the furry kingdom. The cartoonishly evil religion cheated and summoned him in their kingdom, so they can hate him. Which means, they have the nerve to blame the guy for forcefully appearing in the place they rigged for him to appear.
-If the cartoonishly evil religion hadn’t framed the Shield Hero, he wouldn’t be forced to buy cute furry waifus as aid in battles. So by framing him, they got exactly what they were trying to avoid. And no, this is not smart writing by having a self-fulfilled prophecy. It’s backwards reasoning.
-The cartoonishly evil religion is also suicidal. Before the second monster invasion, they had the excuse of not needing the Shield Hero for defeating the monsters. After the second monster invasion, they clearly need the Shield Hero, because he’s the only one who is not incompetent. By continuing to slander the only person capable of defeating the monsters, they effectively doom everyone, including themselves.
-The cartoonishly evil religion gets completely rewritten into a different organization. At first they needed to resort to slander against Naofumi, because they were unable to kill him directly. And then out of nowhere they have a magic weapon that is as powerful as the four heroes. Why were they accusing the Shield Hero all these months when their plan was to kill him? Everybody believes their lies, so there is no need for all this nonsense. Why didn’t they kill him all this time when they had such a powerful weapon and he was far weaker? Why were they hiding this super weapon and weren’t using it against the monsters? Why did they even need the heroes to save the world when they have weapons and chocobo waifus that are far more powerful than them? Why are the other three heroes considered blessed when they casually decide to kill them? Why do they have monarchy and not theocracy if they can casually kill the royal family in front of a thousand people and get away with it? There is absolutely no consistency, as if the author is an incompetent idiot who just wrote a crappy light novel for horny teenagers without critical thinking... Oh wait, that is what he actually is.
-And as icing on the cake, all villains are one dimensional jerks who smile smugly and love to torture and kill innocents for fun, because they can. Because what a better way to justify your justice porn if not by having sadistic one-dimensional nobles who exist just to make you hate them and wish to see them dead. And obviously, the only one who can stop them is the self-insert protagonist.

Even on the good side, the slaves in Naofumi’s team have horribly rushed character progression. The author never gave them more than a single episode for growing up into the forms they maintain throughout the rest of the show. Because why should you spend years on properly nurturing anything? Just skip all the build up and go straight for the outcome. And it’s strange to see how despite everything growing up so fast on this world, their lifestyle is still the same one as we have in a typical medieval world.

Adding to that, whether they are slave raccoons, or birds from loot boxes, or random encounters with princesses in the wilderness, the protagonist’s allies are all cute girls who make every other male to be jealous of Naofumi. Did I mention how they are all around the age of 12? What does that say about the author’s sexual preferences? Especially when he has his protagonist showing them around like a possession to be proud about. And also to constantly antagonize each other over who gets to have the self-insert’s attention, like in any typical harem. And the protagonist is constantly ignoring their flirting, since that is the only way you can show a male character respecting women. And in order to make it clear he’s not an asshole for ignoring them, you add one-dimensional evil rapists who want to rape the waifus, so he will be ‘forced’ to protect them.

It’s especially laughable when Naofumi makes fun of the Spear hero for taking advantage of the cute girls in his team, when his own team is also consisting of nothing else besides cute girls, whom he also took advantage of by buying as slaves. So basically, it’s ok when he does it and wrong when anyone else does it. Ironically, Naofumi’s furries do not correct him on this obvious hypocrisy and instead support him, while also making fun of the Spear Hero. This is only making the hypocrisy bigger.

Naofumi eventually saves the life of the thot that accused him, after spending the whole show in trying to make her pay. He doesn’t want her to die, but to be humiliated by having her name changed to slut. That is apparently enough, although she is still in the team of the Spear Hero and still constantly tries to mess with him. After all the crap she did, she gets away with it lightly, because the author only wants her to be humiliated non-stop and everyone acts as if there is nothing wrong with that.

In general, the civilian population is a bunch of sheep with no thoughts of their own. Throughout the series they believe everything they are told right away. And before some of you say that’s exactly how the real world is like, people don’t do a 180 in a couple of seconds. One moment they demand to see the ones responsible to be punished, and the immediate next they change their minds, after a couple of words from the validated self insert that is Naofumi. Does it make any sense? No, it’s just done for justice porn.

Late in the show, more heroes from a different world appear. They were constantly helping Naofumi and the rest to level up, defeat the monsters, and protect the people on the ships. Then all of sudden they want to kill everyone. The reason is so convoluted, it becomes impossible to follow. They want to destroy this world, so the world they came from will be spared. Which by the way it’s a lie, it will be destroyed anyways, but we need some sort of new fake allegations now that the justice porn is over. That aside, they are not fighting with the monsters so the world will be destroyed, they are fighting against the monsters which is the opposite of what they are here to do. So, the ‘logical’ explanation is, they are good people, they don’t want to kill innocents, they only want to kill the four heroes so the monsters will have nobody able to stop them. Which by the way it’s a lie, because there are a dozen more people far more powerful than the heroes, so the monsters can still be stopped. And also, their sense of justice is so stupid, they actually believe that if they only kill the defenders of the world, they would totally not be responsible for the deaths of all those innocent people. Oh, but wait, not everyone is going to die from the monsters. Only most of them. Yeah, only most of them will die, that really makes a difference. Also, even if they are here to kill the heroes, they fight the monsters and help the heroes to level up and become harder to kill, although they are here to kill them. The ‘logical’ explanation for that is that they didn’t believe those four were the heroes they came to kill because they were too weak, so they might as well befriend them and help them get stronger, although it doesn’t matter because they are going to die anyways. So basically they befriend people they know they will eventually stab in the back. And obviously they couldn’t simply ask someone to confirm if they are the heroes; that’s too much work man. It’s not like they are here to find and kill the heroes, which is why everybody knows who the heroes are besides them. But wait, there is a ‘logical’ explanation even for that. They didn’t ask anyone to tell them where the heroes are because they had to level up first. You see when you cross over from another world the videogame logic of this stupid show dictates that you lose your levels because it’s a different videogame, so they had to grind all over again. But wait, there is more. They leveled up way faster than the four heroes because they still kept their weapon mastery skills, which gave them an easy mode for beating monsters. So much for being a different videogame if you can carry over your skills. Don’t tell me all that are not completely convoluted, because they totally are. And yet the fanboys insist that it’s very simple to follow. All that is so simple to understand. There is absolutely nothing hard to comprehend. The Shield Hero has a perfectly easy plot and you have to be really stupid not to get it.

3) The plot
During the initial episodes, the plot was edgy, dark, and kind of depressing in tone. It falls apart after the fourth episode by becoming another generic empowerment fantasy. Up until then nothing was easy and uplifting, but the introduction of the second harem girl, a fat chocobo that transforms into a perky loli, every cliché in the book popped its ugly head. Comic relief, fan service, cockblocking romantic advancements, easy victories, constant ridicule of the opposition, and non-stop ego-stroking.
-The rival heroes who during their introduction were presented as super smart and calculative, quickly turned into complete idiots who can’t even walk without tripping over their own feet. Every single thing they do turns to a disaster and it’s up to Naofumi to clean after their mess.
-The vicious nobles who at first were sinister and sneaky in their plan to ruin Naofumi’s reputation, proved to be incompetent buffoons who’s only defining features is being evil and idiotic.
-The world where nobody supports the Shield Hero, is quickly proven to be full of people who are constantly supporting him (peasants in need), wish to enter his team (soldiers during the monster invasion), defend him every time he is accused (queen’s spies), and even plot armor him when he is about to be killed (Fitoria).
-Naofumi’ shield was supposed to be weak and unable to be used for attack, but soon became able to cast every ability imaginable, and to have enough firepower for blowing up entire mountains.
-The girls Naofumi travels with, which were supposed to have depth and mental issues, constantly do typical fan service shenanigans. Going to hot springs, getting molested by tentacle monsters, never shutting up about how awesome Naofumi is, fighting over who gets to be his lover, and constantly yelling about how they can’t live without him. The best part is how most of the fanboys refused to accept that the show was a harem. They considered it as nothing more than comedy for easing the depressing mood. Yes, because we totally need comic relief in a 20 minute episode. It’s not like you have a whole week to relax until the next episode begins. And it’s not like so many liked the early episodes because they didn’t have harem comedy. No sir, they liked the show a lot more when it had comic relief every 5 minutes. Because god forbid if we can sit down and watch something without being constantly distracted.

4) Videogame logic
Because of the videogame logic of this world, the allegations which make up the whole conflict of the show could have instantly been proven false, if anyone had bothered to use a slave crest that forces the target to be truthful. So basically, the core conflict had little thought placed behind it, and was one that could have been fixed in a few seconds if everybody wasn’t deliberately ignoring the ability of the slave crests. The excuse in-story is that they are very expensive to use in a trial. And yet Naofumi used them three times on his waifus with no financial problems. Did you see any villages starving to death because of all the money he spent for printing a few crests? Of course not, because they don’t exist.

Also, the king owns the whole kingdom, so it wouldn’t cost a thing if he uses crests in a trial. I mean, he didn’t because that would prove he is a scumbag, but the fact remains. It doesn’t cost a thing to him. As it doesn’t for the queen, who used one in the trial without starving a million children. Essentially, the author had no idea how to prevent everyone from spamming crests and said ‘errr they are expensive I guess’ before allowing everybody to use them whenever it suits the protagonist and without any penalties. More specifically, when he enslaves waifus, and gets his justice porn by placing it on the bitch princess during the trial.

The funny part is that they didn’t even need magical crests that would conveniently force the bitch princess to speak the truth. If they had bothered to ask the guy who sold Naofumi the armor, he would reveal the lies of the princess, since she didn’t find it somewhere and then gifted it to the Spear Hero. It’s his armor, right there!

On top of all this mess, the dreaded videogame logic ruins even the concept of money. During the pilot episode, the heroes are given coins to buy their equipment. Why do they have to pay for anything? They were summoned against their will to save the world. Just give them the best available armor so they can save your sorry ass. An excuse could be so they won’t ruin the economy, but what good is money if they are all dead? And it becomes even messier later on, when Naofumi is constantly given stuff for free as thanks for helping people out. Also, turns out the magical weapons can literally clone anything for free. There was literally no need for money since day one, so what was the point of giving them coins? The author had no idea what he was doing, and he definitely did not thought of the economy collapsing because of it.

The videogame logic ruins even the need to have a team and go on missions. There is no need to do any missions, because there is nothing to actually gain from them.
-Some missions give them money, which they don’t need because their weapons can clone anything they want.
-Mundane stuff like food and drinks are free for heroes who are here to save the world.
-Monsters during missions give you experience points for leveling up, but there is no need to bother as there are special events where you can level up like crazy by beating trash mobs.

Despite the videogame terminology, everything constantly comes down to getting power ups in the middle of the battle by triggering a hidden ability, or turning to the power of friendship. What is the point in having rules, if powers come and go depending on what the plot says will happen?
-They try to make it seem like the backlash from using major attacks comes at a cost by losing enough blood to fill a swimming pool, but then Naofumi casually waits defenseless for 5 minutes, as everyone else around him are busy talking to the queen than saving him, thus making it seem like his injuries are not serious. He can take it like a champ.
-The villains stand still while the heroes talk in the middle of the battle.
-The heroes use mostly long ranged attacks, even when their weapons are short ranged. This makes the battles dull, since they are just standing still and fire projectiles. It also makes the Bow Hero to seem like he got the crappiest weapon, since he is supposed to be the only one using arrows and be useless in close range.
-The three heroes use the exact same one attack all the time, making the battles repetitive on top of dull.

5) Slavery
Regarding the touchy subject of slavery, which caused the controversy and made the show so popular… it’s garbage. Naofumi was accused of owning slaves in a setting where slavery is legal and by nobles who all have slaves. Hypocrisy, anyone? It never gets any deeper than that, and eventually it’s just an excuse for harem shenanigans. No sir, Naofumi is not forcing cute girls to fight on his side, and is certainly not going to have naughty moments with them at the hot springs. He bought them! Plus, the slave chicks clearly state that they love being slaves. Raphtalia in particular is given her freedom when someone removes the slave tattoo from her body. But she immediately rushes to get another slave tattoo. On her boobs I need to point out, since we need fan service for this garbage to sell. This validates the victimized protagonist by having the cute animal ear waifu proudly stating how she loves being manipulated as a slave. You don’t want to disagree with a cute animal ear waifu, do you now? Look how cute she is and has a tattoo on her boobs, she can’t be wrong. And as simple as that Naofumi once again has the moral high ground to do whatever the hell he wants.

6) Plot armor
The chocobo waifu plot armors Naofumi from the dinosaur, the spy woman plot armors the 2 heroes from the energy attack, the 2 heroes plot armor Naofumi from the Pope. There is never any sense of death in the show if they can survive all the time like that. And don’t get me started on why the Pope didn’t confirm the death of the 2 heroes before trying to kill the other 2, or how they never show how Sword and Bow survived the explosion. Eventually, even the queen plot armors the heroes from the church, and proves how the allegations were false by using a slave tattoo. Something everyone could have used since day 1. And essentially Naofumi didn’t have to do a thing about clearing his name. He could have sat on a bed for months and just wait for the queen to solve everything. There never was any urgency, there never was any actual threat, and he was plot armored from all sides.

7) Retroactive answers
As I have proven time and time again, the writing of the show is crap. The crest bullshit, the money bullshit, the heroes from another world bullshit, and many more don’t make any sense. Yet the fanboys somehow don’t see it. It’s because the show hides its problems by providing answers to questions long after the audience bothers to care about their validity. It’s all done for retroactively proving the Shield Hero right, even if that contradicts what was stated earlier. It works with people who have no critical thinking, since when you reveal nonsensical motivations late in the story, the dumb audience perceives it as a plot twist or a major revelation, instead of bad writing. Thus whatever complains you might have about the show are instantly shut down by the defenders, who will claim ‘you didn’t know that at first and it’s explained later in the story, thus your complaints are moot’. The thing is, nobody was watching the show just to get answers for what is going on with the monster invasion or why the church hates the Shield Hero. Everyone was watching the show for the revengeporn and the pedophilic memes concerning Naofumi’s harem. There was no mystery to solve and therefore late explanations did nothing to save face. Especially when they did not fix any problems and certainly did not make the show better in the longrun. The Shield Hero is complete trash and the mere fact it has so many supporters and a popularity that eclipses most other good anime is a stigma to the community.

Jerberus's avatar
Jun 29, 2019

First Episode: MC is hated by almost everybody for once, a nice twist.

Middle of the Story: MC becomes whiney and doesn't want to make ammends with the other 3 heroes because he's a whiney, jilted git (and for good reason).

Later on: As a religious person, I didn't appreciate the fact that the church/pope were the bad guys here.

Spear Hero gets a reprieve in his off-shoot manga due to his love of filolials.  I read that manga first by accident, not even realizing that they were related until recently.

Hellix55's avatar
Jun 28, 2019

An average otaku guy who moved into another world and became a shield hero. The society of the other world condemns the hero of the shield and tries to get rid of it. But he won't let himself go and be stronger than anyone, so I said everything: D

The characters are interesting, well worked out, a real Isekai anime.

Gozza's avatar
Jun 28, 2019

The Rising of the Shield Hero is yet another show that's trying to do something edgy and just takes the easy way out.

Our main protagonist is one of the 4 heroes that has been summoned to protect the world in a galaxy far away but the princess of one of the kingdoms feels the need to falsely accuse our hero of sexual harassment, making it tough for him to level up, find party members and buy equipment.

What follows is our main protagonist thinking that the whole world did him wrong. A local slave driver offers his services to 'm and out main protagonist picks this fragile little raccoon girl to fight for him since he can only equip a shield.

The show also takes this approach to only tell the important parts of their journey and not allowing us to be part of the character growth. For example, our fragile little raccoon girl turns into a mature fighter in the span of an episode and we just have to accept that she's a much stronger and confident character.

The show keeps referring to previous heroes that have tried to protect the land but nobody really wants to tell our current heroes what happened in the past and why current events play out the way they do.

I honestly think this show was created during a dark Thursday night at a local pub, buzzed out if his or her brain and just writing a bunch of random shit on a napkin.

GoblinSlayer's avatar
Jun 27, 2019

This has to be one of the smartest and funnest animes ever! From just getting us thrown right into an intense and vast story, to attaching us to the characters we all know and love, this has to be one of my favorite animes. The Methods used throughout to build plot to its climax was amazing and will have you hooked until the final episode. Just please pray with me that season 2 will be just as much prodigious as this one!

ObitoUzumaki's avatar
Jun 26, 2019

I hope there's not a season 2 and if there is I won't be watching it Naofumi's personality completely changed from what it was in the first episode the only reason I watched this is cause I thought he'd be ruthless and not give a fuck about anyone but himself but the more episodes pass the more he and his personality seem to change and when that happened the anime started to get predictable

RNAnime's avatar
Jun 21, 2019

The series started out awesome. The first half of the season had a great pace, good character devolopment, and a real drive to the plot that made the progress enjoyable. The second half however is god awful. I don't know if the director, manga writer changed, or what. The quality of the show and story has plummetted, the characters, pace, and plot have all the luster of a Naruto filler arc. I hate every episode with multiple sighs and groans throughout. I only continue watching it hoping for a rebound to it's former glory.

tommypizza's avatar
Jun 17, 2019

After watching episode 17, I think Ive watched enough to give my opinion on the show, ill keep it breif and without any spoilers. Im going to start of by saying the best thing about the show is probably the story and the characters. They have a good chemistry, and the plot of the show really interests me and is the main reason im still watching it. The animation is on the low side, I don't mind the use of CG in anime, but it really does make some of the action scenes very lack luster, and some of them are just boring to watch. This doesn't stop the show from being good, because the plot and characters do drive the show more than the action does, so if your willing to look past the animation then you should enjoy most of the show. I will say this, though not a spoiler, the beggining was probably the best part of the show, It had a great setup, the reactions to the characters fealt geniune, and it really helped drive the story, but as the episodes went on more and more, I found myself less and less interested. To me the farther I got into it, the more episodes the only have the characters just doing random things and not progressing the plot occur. Some of these episodes I feel could have been combined and condensed more, instead of giving each plot point its own episode, which would have helped speed up the show and probably bored me less in the long run. Still its a pretty good show and if you like the first episode then you'll probably enjoy the rest of the series.

5.5/10 overall
Animeking31337's avatar
Jun 3, 2019

It is a fun watch and is a bit different then some other Isekai anime that I have watched. It is quite enjoyable to watch once you get into it so I suggest tring it out.

It is pretty average but it has a few twists that make it unique and you grow to really like the main character. It does become a bit confusing at times tring to understand what the story really wants the hero to do. A similair example would be (without spoilers) when the main character decided to go somewere but then gets notified he needs to go somewere else then after all that ends up in a totaly different area due to unforseen events. I guess it can be summed up as plot convenience. Most of the other parts are pretty good though things from the past seem to really effect the hero later down the line.

Visuals/ Animation

I like the art style myself although I am not very picky when it comes down to this part.

Sounds fine, cool sound effects for powers and such.

I like the main character and the few around him because they give me time with them. Most of the other characters seem under developed. I find it hard to connect or even enjoy any of the side characters. This in my opinion does not bother me that much though as connecting with the main character is good enough for me in this anime.

Jutzu's avatar
May 23, 2019

This brief is spoiler-free.

The plot is good and catchy. Execution not so much. Suffers from bad pacing and repetitive dialogue.

Animation:

Good character design. Bad (read cheap looking) action scenes. A lot of flashbacks and repetitions to extend episodes.

Sound:

Soundrack doesn't stand out. First opening was energyfying, second opening was dreadful.

Quite stylised personas that are portrayed only in black and white, with little space for gray areas. Even though the plot may have a redemption arc for some, they don't feel much like real people. On the plus side some characters are rather likeable. [EDIT] after 21th ep, we seem to get more shades of grey which is nice.

6.8/10 overall
WingedOcelot's avatar
May 20, 2019

In the flood of mediocre shows and stories with intelligence and ingenuity Shield Hero rises above the rest. Presenting a fresh look on the person in a strange world trope, the author re-examines what being taken to a new world might cost, and poses the question what does a true hero really look like?

Exceedingly creative, this story has neither too much or too little action, most battles (THANKFULLY) are wrapped up within a single ep. Worldbuilding in this story is very detailed from the smallest of food tasting different to relationship w/ party m, heroes, citizens, king/ roalty of Melromarc, other races and other countries. Problems like cruelty, depression, slavery and incompetence add depth to the story. The one blemish is that there is definitely a harem theme going on which I think definitely distracts from the story, however it is kinda funny that after his trama Naofumi isn’t interested.

pereni's avatar
May 14, 2019

it's feel like watching sinteron if you watch this anime. at first it's good, but after a few episodes the story isn't clear. it's AMBRUADUL

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE EVER WATCH SINETRONS, DEFINITELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS ANIME

5.6/10 overall
Brino's avatar
May 4, 2019

Pros:

+ Interesting and fresh start of a vengance and betrayal isekai story

+ The protagonist is kind of a tank and must rely on a party and his intelligence to get by in fights

+ The protagonist must overcome his naivite to be a hero and becomes quite a tradesman during the first half of the story

Cons:

The story loses its wit quite fast

- Too many characters that act irrationally

- The protagonist switches between hate for his foes and kindness when ever the story needs it, and his progress is to inconsistent

Story: The story starts quite refreshing, because the protagonist is betrayed and stripped of all honors. It is a little questionable, because armageddon is at hand, and one would need all the heroes, to survive, but at least there is story progress and character progress made in the beginning. Especially great was imo that Naofumi even resorts to slavery for getting his disadvantage compensated. This could have become a sort of Overlord scenario, but with the twist, that the bullying of the shield hero in the beginning made him the villain, everyone treats him like. But unfortunately this arc is dropped, and his hatred for the society and royalty is only used, when convenient, because he is "a good guy at heart" and tries to resolve the apocalypse with the help of the outcast races, that are treated like garbabe by the humans, while getting backstabbed by the other heroes and almost everyone in royalty.

Animation: Quite mediocre with sometimes nice but also boring landscapes. Nothing extraordinary, nothing that sticks in the mind.

Sound: The soundtrack is a little interesting. Especially some flute parts. But intro and outro are forgettable.

Characters: Naofumi sadly is inconsitent in his vengance, sensitivity and cunning. His entourage bland and one-dimensional. Almost every time after the first episodes, when they have the chance to grow as a character, they refute it. Best example is Raphtalia, his sword wielding maid, he bought as a slave. When she has the opportunity to kill a torturer and stereotypical human monster, she refuses. Boring, stereotypical and one dimensional. Almost everyone around him is a loli love interest. Interesting would have been, if he would intentionally use their affection for his financial and power gain, but he becomes the loving great brother and good guy, even when he despises this world and all the people in it in the beginning.

The princess as a villain is simply a selfish and spoiled sociopath. But at least she drives the plot a little. All the other heroes are dumb as frag and they are unable to recognize the princess for what she is. That is even more annoying.

Total: Starts with really good premises, that are dropped for mediocre loli harem, boring side plots and inconsitency.

5.5/10 overall
Nolar2015's avatar
Apr 14, 2019

Looks like a standard Isekai from the outside, but its actually a pretty fresh take on an overdone genre. For example in only the second episode the MC is accused of rape, disgraced, and purchases a slave.

Has two very good girls in Filo and Rapthalia, a unique if annoyingly callous/mean MC, likable characters, passable animation and 'par' action.

I also like how 'real' it is, its almost like an isekai version of A Series Of Unfortunate Events. They dont front with the villains, its no 'wahh my motive is because im sad :(" bs that im sick of, theyre just crazy, evil bitches who want power. And i can respect that for keeping it simple

Pretty good even if it aint worldbreaking

SynKen's avatar
Apr 1, 2019

This anime put me on a lot of rollercoasters. I know people think "oh wow its another (Isekai) " Yes. But its fresh it is something that is enjoyable to watch. At first I was sceptical, prolly same boring story super op off the back no storyline complete harem. Non of that. I watched the first ep, Got me enraged, Had to continue to find out more. Mc kept going down hill further and further till he almost reached a breaking point. Everything changed the more he adventured. Even with all odds and people againct him his will was strong. (I watched 12 ep in one sitting) I give this anime a 9/10

CoochieMonster's avatar
Mar 23, 2019

When i started watching Rising of the shield hero i was kinda hyped and couldnt wait for new episodes because of the interesting plot of a "hated" main character and the 4 heroes that got summoned with each of their weapons, i really liked the first episodes and the way he got betrayed by almost everyone near him, but then in the newer episodes they have almost completely skipped the main plot and is just following around the mc with his wagon raccoon girl and bird loli helping random people. at this point the anime has turned into some weird isekai harem anime.

the anime hasnt finished airing so i cant for sure say im completely dissapointed but the way this anime is going is dissapointing.

M1KO's avatar
Mar 20, 2019

I wish for Filo to die.

Crua9's avatar
Mar 3, 2019

To be honest, I'm not sure why many are hating this due to what happens in the first EP. That crap happens in real life, and it or something like it is needed to help move the story.

The overall story is pretty generic. Some person or group gets zap to a fantasy game like world. They have to do xyz to get out. During the time they can pretty much live their life like they want. The difference between this and the number of others that went down this path is unlike most of the other stories. The main person is starting from the very bottom, and the world they are trying to protect hates them. There is some of where the girls around him are wanting to sleep with him. But up to late, it really didn't show at all, and I suspect it won't get much deeper outside a few ep in the future.

Note, one thing I'm not a fan of is how the main person is able to overcome mostly everything. It is starting to feel like they are moving to God like than someone struggling and in real danger. Like it is the one trap many shows fall into where the main person is way too OP sooner or later.
I most likely won't edit this review. But assuming the main person keeps becoming more and more OP. I can see this becoming more and more boring. This is the problem I'm running into with other shows like that time I got reincarnated as a slime. Like if they want to go down the path of mostly everything ends up being about the fight/adventure. Then I need to feel there is a real chance that people can get hurt or die. Where right now it's just annoying until the person gets cured.

____

Side note to anyone making any anime

If they want to keep making the main person more and more OP. Then I suggest any future anime makers take note and make the show about something other than the adventure/fight. With no risk, it's boring. But if the anime starts focusing on the social aspects. Then this could be worth while even with the main person being OP.

But to have a great show, you need to mix the 2. Re:Zero is a good example (even if it's not perfect). There is a real risk the main person will die (and they tend to do). But it also looks at the social a bit. Re:Zero messes up because they don't use logic. In that one, the main person could simply make some easy painless poison, and use that as a reset since all the actions of EVERYTHING should be 100% the same as before.