The Promised Neverland

Alt title: Yakusoku no Neverland

Add review
jypsel's avatar
May 21, 2020

"The Promised Neverland" follows a group of children who discover that their beloved foster home is actually a farm where they're being harvested as food for a demon race.  There's plenty to enjoy in this anime and it's certainly one of the better ones that's been released in the horror genre.  That being said, this anime doesnt come without its own issues.

The story is interesting enough.  Watching the children come up with ways to escape was entertaining and the main villain, Isabelle, led to some necessary and interesting conflict.  I do think the story relied a bit too much on broken storytelling to get its point across, though.  There were parts that had to be hidden from the viewers in order for them to be carried out as believable...and it wasn't very believable.  (I know, I'm saying this about an anime where the main characters are food, but I mean within the confines of that...it still wasn't believable.)

There was a lack of authenticity to the characters because they were constantly under scrutiny and having to deceive their "Mom" and each other.  I understand that, but it didn't leave space for me to appreciate them for what they were.  This is a plot-driven anime having to be carried out by characters.  That's actually great; it's just that means a lot of emphasis is going to be on those characters and I don't feel like they had the strength to carry this show.  Norman is the only exception; he was well-done.

The animation was one of the better parts. There's a scene at the end of episode one that was absolutely chilling because of the look on the character's face.  Then it immediately cut to the outro song. That was awesome!  That freaked me out more than anything else in the show.  Some of it reminded me of Attack on Titan, particulary the facial expressions and their intensity.

The sound was great!  I enjoyed the opening a lot, and the outro song was fine, too.  I thought that the characters all had great voice actors, too, although Emma occasionally got on my nerves...which I think is appropriate given what kind of character she is.

I've got some serious qualms with the characters in this.  For one, I really dislike how their intelligence leads to all of these twists and turns.  The only way that can be accomplished is to keep information from the viewer and then circle back to it and reveal the entire plan. I found this to be weak storytelling and a situation where the characters are created to be too intelligent, leading the creators to find themselves between a rock and a hard place.

As I said before in the storytelling part, the characters weren't strong enough to hold this down, in my opinion.  The only exception is Norman.  He has a good balance of intelligence and humanity in him.

I also need to say this...I'm not sure if other reviews have talked about Sister Krone, but the animation was downright offensive.  Her scenes made me unbelievably uncomfortable.  I get that there is a lot of ignorance in Japan when it comes to other races but if you're going to portray another race in your manga or anime, I feel like enough research should be done to make sure you're doing it right?  There are so many black women in popular and powerful positions that could have been looked to for inspiration rather than the "Ma'" stereotype from the antebellum South.  Yikes.

(Also, I don't think she made a proper appearance in the anime, but in the manga, the other black character's name is...Jemima.  Like Aunt Jemima.  The syrup.  Yeah.  Once again, yikes.)

Overall, I enjoyed this anime enough but it didn't leave me with that same excited feeling as it seems to have left a lot of other viewers.  Most people seem to have really enjoyed this anime and love it - and that's great!  It just didn't hit the mark with me.  As I said earlier, it was nice to have something in horror that wasn't so...Junjo Ito, but I overall just didn't love this like I thought I would. I am reading the manga, though, and I think a lot of this does better in that form, personally.

LadyAiris's avatar
May 5, 2020

Spoiler Start: Wait to watch until December 2020.😉 Originally the second series was supposed to launch around January of 2020, but was postponed due to the Virus.

The Promised Neverland deserves many future series if they keep pace with their first.

While you anticipate the plot to be narrated by a sole character it does well to slow [in a captivating manner] build layered character profiles throughout every episode for serveral people. The visual artwork and soundtracks are also very well synced for every episodes' overall mood and tone. Even though this piece is set within the same locational place, you're so captivated by the storyline and the many twists the plot holds it never once comes across as mundane or predictable.

The Promised Neverland balances well within the story itself, engaging the audience throughout and leaves anticipation for more.

💛 Highly Recommend! 💛

iamnotneechan's avatar
May 4, 2020

It took me a while to watch this anime due to the hype but I decided to give it a shot after hearing about how twisted the plot was. I definitely can't wait for the second season.

This anime definitely had its moments that had you at the edge of your seat or scrathching your head at the ellaborate plots.

I don't think that this anime was overhyped. I loved the music, the animation style and the story. I didn't however grow overly attached to the characters. I defeinitely was scared for a few moments for them. But would I cry if any of them died. Probably not. Maybe that makes me heartless or maybe that's how you feel about it to.

But besides that, the plot was a twisty winding path that definitely kept me hooked onto watching each episodes and the cliff hanger at the end has many people (including myself) desperately waiting for season 2.

ALSO MAJOR BONUS POINTS for the opening but thats only because I'm a huge Uverworld fan after blasting the blue exorcist opening on repeat.

milknhoney's avatar
Apr 9, 2020

I loved this anime !!! This show made me feel so many emotions between sad , happy , confused , and even horrified . This story has a very interesting plot but may be sensitive to those who have triggers to young deaths . But every episode leaves off on a cliffhanger and begged me to watch more .

Saral's avatar
Mar 16, 2020

This anime kept me on edge!!

This anime had such an interesting concept to and it honestly kept the atmosphere so tense as I didn't know what was going to happen. Many times in each episode I was worried that all the kids were gonna die and the number of times that I thought Emma was going to die wasn't healthy for me. The animation was beautiful and the design was really cute. The characters were really cute however I didn't like any of the adults. My favourite characters were definitely Phill and the three main characters. I can't wait for season 2 and I hope Norman is okay (because I believe he ain't dead) Overall: Amazing

OlAB0's avatar
Mar 14, 2020

It's one of my favourites. I absolutely loved it! At first when I heard about it, I didn't want to watch it. It wasn't my type of anime. Usually I choose to watch comedy, but I thought "well, I have nothing to watch, so let's try it". AND LET ME TELL YOU. That was the best idea I had in a while. The plot is so interesting and different from what I know. When you watch it you think "wow, it's really interesting, dark, it has a little bit of horror parts, but it's so absorbing!" I could feel the emotions that the characters where feeling. At first the face proportions may be a little disturbing but you'll only see it for like a first half of the episode. If you want to watch something different from normal comedy anime, watch this. Actually, it doesn't matter if you want to have a change. You opened it thinking if it's good, so let me tell you. IT'S REALLY REALLY GOOD, SO WATCH IT!

leesallylee's avatar
Feb 19, 2020

This is my first time write a review in anime planet, i just want y'll who have not watching this, you should definitely watch it!!!!!!

To be honest, at the first i kind of understimate this anime, like meh. I've download many animes to watch, including Yakusoku no Neverland. But this show was my least anime that i would like to wacth. After i finished watching another animes that i have downloaded, this was the last. And i swear to the God, this is THE BEST anime i've been watching all the time. Seriously, when i read a summary of this anime, i didnt expected this much that the show would goes this crazy for me.

At the beginning, you'll feel happiness yet you'll feel something big/mysterious would happen. And on half episode, you'll feel the fear but at the same time you'll be somehow like a detective. And bang, on the last episode, ughhhh really you'll feel so axiety, worry, fear, your heart cannot stop racing, i felt my heart was gonna explode, my hands cold, this is the first time i felt this way, its just anime but idk its amazed me !!! THIS IS MIND BLOWING!!! ahgjskajslajs i dont know how to describe, i feel empty after the show end. Such an AMAZING anime that would give us a strong emotions while watching the entire episode, especially the last one.

Archert's avatar
Feb 3, 2020

Brillante, creo que no hay mejor adjetivo para definir esta serie.

Su argumento es endibladamente bueno, original, con giros inesperados, es practicamente perfecto. Los personajes cada uno de ellos brilla con luz propia, desde la madre haciendo como una antagonista espectacular hasta nuestros 3 protagonistas.

El fuerte de este anime reside sin duda alguna en el misterio donde nuestro protagonistas iran haciendose paso arrojando un poco de luz ante tanta oscuridad.

Si tuviera que decir alguna cosa que no termino ver claro es: *Atento Spoiler!*

-La muerte de Norman, donde pienso que pudo ser evitada. Si este hubiera tenido "un accidente" rompiendose la pierna tambien hubiesen tenido que esperar 2 meses más y haber uido todos juntos.

Aun así las historia es sobervia y sus giros durante toda la trama son espectaculares.

(La nota general sube debido a su entretenimiento).

9.8/10 story
8.7/10 sound
9.9/10 overall
Rextg's avatar
Jan 3, 2020

This anime is amazing, that’s literally all I have to say. I just finished it and the rate my heart was pumping near the end was near a heart stroke. This is probably the best anime that exists(maybe not in comedy genre lol)

Not many animes make me feel such a strong emotion as this one. I 100% recommend this anime :)

soave's avatar
Dec 12, 2019

Ok... So i had just finished the anime. Here are my views:

Story: I love how the plot works. It is not predictable, and rather suspenseful. I also like how the plot can go on unexpectedly, especially in the escape arc. Most importantly, I like how the story started from the basic element of the greater plot, gradually progressing from that point. A story that will keep you going on its every episode to the next.

Animation: The camera movement is super awesome! I like how it revolves around the characters, showing interesting perspectives from different angles. This have shown a huge contrast between the other animes I've previously watched, which tends to stay static or do bland rotations when characters are conversing. I also like the dynamism of the colors, how the characters are well-drawn, and the fulidity of movements.

Sound: The sound is well-matched with the story. I also like how music embolsters event to a certain degree that will connect to the viewers.

Characters:  Well-thought of character designs. It is interesting that the main characters' aptitude and behaviours aren't really portrayed in greater contrast than most of the animes that revolves around two or more main characters.

Overall: This is an extraordinary show, no doubt. But I hope it will show consistency and flourish well going forward(for the benefit of those who love the show). However, it wasn't exhilirating enough-for me, that would normally make me drool for the next season. It somehow lacks an intensity that would leave the viewers awake all night, that it mostly depended on cliffhangers every episode.

**************************************************************************************************

Spoiler Sidenote: I hope Norman is really dead. I want the story to revolve around Ray and Emma! Hehe...

elduende9301's avatar
Nov 9, 2019

I have to say this show is one of the few shows ive seen that are very well developed. the suspense and sense of inpending doom is very well set into the storyline. although, how do i put this without spoiling the story, in my personal opinion i think they revealed the reason why the orpahns where being so welled cared for. As it added a sense of mystery to the story, but overall i highly recomind wastching this show it is very exciting and fun to waching and will keep you wondering what is going to happen next.

spookyrinboi's avatar
Nov 7, 2019

I only made this review for people visiting my profile. The reason I stalled this is that I am reading the manga as of now and have no time for the anime. I put it as dropped for a few seconds but changed it because it would be weird having a dropped anime with a 5-star rating. I will also give an actual review here.
V V V (arrows) V V V

This anime seemed interesting when I first saw it. I was watching it with my brother and his friend but we stopped watching it so I decided to continue. (It says im only on ep1 but I'm not sure as of now haha my mistake!) I love the characters, I only gave it a 9.8 because some personalities made me change it from 10. I loved how energetic everyone is. The story is great because I loved how they figured out some major plot points.

ok bye now idk what im writing help idk if it sounds rightt

9.8/10 characters
aclnwsn's avatar
Nov 1, 2019

Okay, so first of all, the reason why I didn't give this anime a perfect score over all is because I'm not really a fan of this genre (thriller/horoor/psychological/mystery) thta's why I don't know what to feel about it. But wait, I absolutely like how the story goes. How the characters grows like isabella (never expect that coming). This anime is teaching us "do not lose hope as long as you're alive, there's a way for everything". Probably gonna watch the second season.

ariadnushkaa's avatar
Oct 27, 2019

The soundtrack is just AMAZING. This is probably one of my favourite animes and I can't wait for season 2. It's just amazing.

moonchild15's avatar
Oct 1, 2019

(spoiler free review)

this show reminded me of attack on titan in many ways. they r both equally good & i cant wait for the next season. ray is my fav character. i binged watch this show in 3 days. if ur looking for a good mystery, psychological, horror show definitely give this a go.

TahmidAqib's avatar
Sep 18, 2019

Words are not enough to describe this anime! This is one of the best anime I've ever watched. The story itself is a masterpiece. The characters are so deep. Every time I hear the soundtrack I feel like I have reborn, my heart starts trembling with an unknown emotion that I can not describe. Everything is so well animated and talk about the details. Do yourself a favour and watch the anime.
The story follows a group of orphaned children in their escape plan from an orphanage. Emma, Norman, Ray, and many other siblings live at an isolated orphanage cut off from the outside world. Life has never been better with gourmet food, plush beds, clean clothes, games, and the love of their "Mother", the caretaker, Isabella.  The bright and cheerful Emma always aces the regular exams with her two best friends Ray and Norman. The orphans are allowed complete freedom, except to venture beyond the grounds or the gate, which connects the house to the outside world. One night, an orphan named Conny is sent away to be adopted, but Emma and Norman follow after noticing that she left her stuffed toy, little bunny, back at the house. At the gate, they find Conny dead, and they realize the truth of their existence in this idyllic orphanage. Determined to break out of Grace Field House, Norman and Emma join with Ray to find a way to escape along with their other siblings.

8.5/10 story
8.5/10 sound
RuGKun's avatar
Aug 26, 2019

I don't have anything to say about The Promised Neverland just it's the masterpiece of this world !!

DarkDelphin834's avatar
Jul 20, 2019

The plot of this anime is so interesting. It has some unpredicted plot twists. The way it is animated makes you feel like you are taking part in the story. The sounds, the colors and the expressions of the characters... All these keep the suspense going. About the characters... All of them have unique personalities, I fell in love with the main characters, ideally Ray (he's mysterious and that's sth I look forward in a character, since I relate to that type of personality). In a nutshell, I truly believe that this is a must-watch anime before you die. Oh, also... Some episodes end with cliff hangers Owo

Minjae777's avatar
Jun 16, 2019

The story & plot were great. Throughout the entire show, I felt tense and every episode was suspenseful. Every episode had me guessing what would happen next. Knowing what could have happened if the kids made the wrong move or a bad plan kept me biting my nails. I expected the end to seem boring predictable, but it didn't seem lacking and was satisfying. Even after the show ended, I questioned many things & I still do. Although, I do think that some of the plans were pretty stupid like some of the bad situations could've been avoided with simple thinking. The rest of the story was fine.

The animation was better than average & wasn't amazingly outstanding, but was definitely unique. The use of CGI in suspenseful moments made certain scenes seem more meaningful & interesting. There were some scenes from a 1st person POV & some which made it look like you were "spying" on the characters. Those scenes made me more cautious because I didn't know if they were using that POV to make it more interesting or if we were seeing in 1st person POV from someone who was actually watching them. The characters' expressions were even better since you could easily tell their emotions. When Emma was trying to hide her fear from Isabella, she was smiling but you could see a pained expression in her eyes.

There was a fitting soundtrack for each scene & they added more thrill suspense. I loved the opening but didn't pay much attention to the ending. The ticking clock kept me standing on my toes because it made the scenes seem like something was going to happen in time.

Although the characters were very young, they had great solutions to some problems. Norman & Ray especially had great intellect. They did have different plans for the escape but both of them & Emma were excellent at assessing the outcomes of everything they did, making their planning much more useful.

9.5/10 story
hoesmad1's avatar
May 13, 2019

A surprisingly good adaptation of one of my favorite mangas. Absolutely AMAZING soundtrack, good plot adaptation, good voice acting, character work and a very very good adaption of that one scene everyone knows about on the last episode. My review on the manga will certainly be more in-depth once the next arc finishes, so for now, I highly recommend watching this anime if you're curious about the TPN universe, but don't want to read the first arc.

For me, the animation was one of the weakest points. But thats just me.

ClubFoot's avatar
May 2, 2019

Winter 2019 was definitely one of the best seasons for all great anime. You got “The Rising of the Shield Hero” and “Dororo” which still ongoing, “Mob Psycho 100 II”, and “Kaguya-sama: Love is War”. But, it’s definitely “The Promised Neverland”. It’s one of the most anticipated series in 2019. An adaptation of the manga written by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu as the illustrator. Since August 2016, the manga comes with a very interesting story and plot where not all horror genre becomes welcome in each season. However, this anime able to adapted one cour and for the second season will be aired in 2020.

Take John Sturges‘ “The Great Escape” combines with James Dashner’s “The Maze Runner”. Or you can take “Oldboy” or “Blade Runner 2049“. You don’t have anything even you don’t know why you’re in such a place. After you know the ins and outs, you seem to escape to run away from it. Somewhere in the future to be exact in 2045, the story focuses on Emma, ​​Ray, and Norman. They are three genius children in an orphanage. However, an unpleasant aroma smelled. A very suspicious smell at the beginning. Unlike the orphanages in general, children are given intensive education, health care, and luxurious food. This orphanage works when children who are over six years old or who have “matured”, they will be looked for their parents.

One night, Emma and Norman accidentally crossed a restricted area. A gate out of the orphanage was open, accidentally crossed the gate, and a boom twist. They saw an unexpected event. Something different when they were at the orphanage. Slowly, monsters aren’t clearly negotiating with their “Mama”. All changed when “Mama” opened her original mask, as well as the expressions of Emma and Norman, truly didn’t believe it. Until here, it was known that the three children were trying to escape from the orphanage or rather a farm. Farm food for monsters. With such education so that they are all smarter, their brains are the target. Psychology, the manipulation game between “Mama” and the three children began their plan.

“The Promised Neverland” brings the whole story very well. Very well-written manuscripts, good characterizations, diverse twist, and complexity as an added sense of food. The way it portrays the first episode was convincing, so subtle, and so terrifying. You are looking at children who have fun with each other as if they don’t know the reality. Great characterization can be seen from Emma’s roles and her friends. We see how they’ve to survive and run away in the orphanage. The connection between the outside world, small details, or even the relationship between the protagonist and villain is something I don’t want to miss. Unexpected twists are the main dish of why every episode always has the impression of a cliffhanger.

You can’t stop but you don’t want to see what happens next. As if, you are awake in front of the screen. You are still watching this anime. The atmosphere in the first episode was portrayed as cheerful but totally changed into a tense. Plots are weighty and don’t seem rushed. But, am I trying to be overrated here? Actually, of course. However, this isn’t one of the shounen masterpieces people always say it. Every time the show keeps the tone, was there something strange about the dialogues between these characters?

The story of “lies behind reality” was nothing new. Their situation when they react to all reality when they know everything, it’s very deceptive. Moreover, it’s also weird when each character “keeps” each other’s information. It seems as if it’s not like an escape from prison. You know what am I saying? I don’t think so. But, freak. This is a true psychological thriller. It’s pacing for me to binge-watching this show. It doesn’t really push all of its tones so that there is a build up of the character. You have to keep every second you’ve, breathe as much as possible.

While the show focuses on Norman, Emma, and Ray, we must see how unique they are in facing that invisible hell. This mind psychological game contains something that non-fans of the mind-freak plot can watch. Emma is the main character and leader of the children. Although not as smart as Norman or Ray, she is a guarantee and the key to all her plans. She is an outgoing girl, a leader, strong, but very optimistic that her goodness is a weakness. Norman is like a mastermind or the Joker but more to a hero. He is very creative, very calm, very cool, but not as strong as Emma when talking about physical. Ray is an informant, smart, but quite angry at something. He is the only child who doesn’t want to leave the orphanage on the grounds that togetherness is one of the most fragile things he has.

Psychological, mind-freak, or mystery anime and other media would be said as good if how great or smart the antagonist or villain was. Isabella or Mama is the caretaker of the orphanage. She is not the Joker but more to a Two-Face. She hid her real face using a fake smile mask. Isabella is different from other antagonists who are more exaggerated when talking about strength or whatsoever. She is more to realism especially when we know her backstory. She is very loving too even though she uses that fake smile mask. There are other characters like Sister Krone as Isabella’s right hand who also has the most important role in the story. As well as Don and Gilda as supporting characters and other vague supporting characters.

CloverWorks, apart from a new studio and has not yet worked on much anime, is at the top of the hill. They have worked on popular anime in previous seasons such as “DARLING in the FRANXX” and “Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai“. This show stands out and makes one of CloverWorks’ best of everything they have worked on. The art style lies its perfect as they often maintain their tension and tone. There is something very attached to them they weren’t playing around here. They take care of the scenery, color gradients, and cute character designs which are quite ridiculous regardless this is a horror and psychological anime.

CG is rather bland even though they did it very well. The score is kind of remind me with an arrangement of Nino Rota’s “The Godfather” but more like horror. The opening theme song kinds remind me of Linkin Park’s “Living Things”, pretty catchy and fit with its lyrics and theme. The voice acting just blows my mind like, I don’t believe Mariya Ise and Maaya Uchida were cast Ray and Norman. Sumire Morohoshi as Emma as well filled her role very well.

“The Promised Neverland” is a horror anime takes inspiration from a variety of media making something new from its own premise. This anime, at first glance, has impressed all kinds of perspectives. A well-written story, characterizations, build up, almost everything is perfect. However, the ambiguous impressions of the character and world are bland make this show so promising but not the best of all. It follows a lack of common sense, such as the noisy dialogue between characters but not like trying to nitpick something cliche. Yet, sometimes occurs in several episodes. But, I want to see this sequel next year again. It’s a series which is the most awaited at the season and certainly going forward.

Loldelvin's avatar
May 1, 2019

The Promised Neverland delivers in amazing ways with an excellent story, this anime goes far and beyond leaving you gobsmacked within the first episode just wanting more. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in anime. You really connect to the characters, sharing feelings for Emma Norman and Ray wondering how it feels to be stuck in thier situation Kaiu Shirai does an excellent job portraying these characters, I couldnt wait a year for the second season I decided to read the manga because I had to know what happens after. This anime delivers on an amazing scale being one of the best I’ve watched

9.2/10 overall
oZEROo's avatar
Apr 20, 2019

So I went into this show knowing absolutely nothing. I was expecting something relating to Peter Pan, but no. I got frickin monsters. That being said, I loved this show. I loved the characters so much, and I was terrified for them. Each episode leaves you on the edge of your seat.

haloe21's avatar
Apr 17, 2019

This anime was AMAZING I don't think I've ever actually felt that much sympathy for the antagonist at the end of the story. The plot was amazing! It was the first time in a while I was actually suprised by the plot multiple times! I have watched a lot of anime and stuff like this after a while can be very pradictive. This is the first one I have seen in a while I was amazed by almost everything! And the concept is very smart to not many come up with the idea of harvesting kids for food for monsters- or atleast a very common/popular idea that people use. I am very very VERY excited for the next season to see if they survive or if they ever find the author they were talking about, and wow just very good writing. I even ended up like screaming at the characters on the last episode I was so into it. I would DEFINATELLY recommend this, I had so much fun watching it! I didn't really like the animation style as much at first, because I didn't like how high up the mouths were and the heads were seemed bigger than the body at times. Another thing I wasn't a big fan of is during the episodes they made Norman seem like a smart dude but he could be "out-witted" sometimes but near the ending they made him seem like a knowledge god like he knew EVERYTHING all a long. But one thing that deffinately deserves praise is that in some scenes they make you think you know what's going on behind the scenes like you see stuff and you go oh yeah that's what it is or this is what's going to happen. But near the end they started to resolve thigns that caused you to back-track and realize you were wrong and wow that's cool so that's what REALLY happend. What an amazing anime. / OOF when they had Norman talking to them the last episode T^T

9.5/10 sound
Donatell's avatar
Apr 9, 2019

This review is spolers free. I don't tell what is in the story but what the story is from my point of view.

STORY:

I didn't expect that plot will go in this direction. First episodes was a little slow but it has changed very fast. Story was really surprising and interesting, it was like a fight against system, you never know what can happen. It has got scary moments and vibe too. I hated end of every episode becouse each one of them had cliffhanger and I had to watch next.

ANIMATION:

Animation was beautiful, every move was perfect but I didn't like the first person perspective, it looks bad but it is doing good job for a vibe. I love face expression, all of the details was wonderful. Generally apperance of this anime is on a very high level.

SOUND:

Music in opening and ending is amazing, I love it! In a story it is getting in a specific mood. Sometimes only music can be really scary.

CHARACTERS:

This is the best part of this anime. Three main kids have their own, unique personality which is growing with a story and motivation. I love villans too, especially Isabella. At the end she can be understood by the viewer. Secondary characters like Don and Gilda aren't only empty shell like secondary characters in a lot of animes, here they are important too.
Look of characters is uncommon, pointed noses and vivid colors give an amazing effect.

Overall this anime is really good, I love it but it isn't perfect.

MineSimmer's avatar
Apr 9, 2019

Throughout this entire review, you'll most likely just be hearing me praise "The Promised Neverland," highly. I do mostly think it deserves it though. Anyways, "The Promised Neverland," is a show where children are raised together is what seems to be an orphanage by someone called a "mother." You can do whatever except, leave based the gate of the house. When returning a girl's bunny to her at the entrance of the gate, Emma and Norman learn the true horrors of their seemingly perfect life.

Keeping this spoiler free there's not much to say. I believe the show does a fantastic job of keeping you on your feet and trying to guess what's going to happen next. Additionally, to anyone who is initially turned off from this show initially because it's horror, try and give it a shot. Trust me, I'm glad I did and I'm the biggest baby on the planet. I dropped "Another," right after the umbrella scene.

What I love about the animation is not only the opening and how well rounded the opening is. I love how well the animators show everyone's emotions just through facial expressions. Additionally, because of the lighting the animators create, you're able to read the mood and how intense the scene really stands out based on the shadows and lights and etc.

I don't have much to say for this category. I didn't pay too much attention to the music. But the music did get the mood across effectively. Additionally, the voice actors did a great job with everything and I never felt like their tone of voice was out of place based on the scene. The sound is only a 9 because nothing from the sound was that remarkable for me. While it was good, nothing stood out in my face for me.

Honestly, I think all of the characters are so precious. I'll quickly our three main characters: Emma, Norman, and Ray.

----

Emma: She's your more optimistic character who you can't help but love. What I like about Emma is that even though she's intended to be the optimistic characters the show doesn't make her extremely annoying with positivity.

Norman: Has a crush on Emma and honestly, it is really cute. Additionally, I'd say that Norman is the most naturally smart and the best at deductive skills.

Ray: At first glace will remind you of an emo, but has good intentions and isn't emo. He just wants to help out his friends no matter what and he also is very smart.

----

The entire cast dynamics work extremely well and the friendship between them makes your heart melt. I do think all of their character developments got interesting as the show went on. Ray remarkably had one of the coolest ones and I like to see how Emma changed since the beginning. What makes it great is that no one character is static because in this show no one would really be static realistic in general. Their entire lives are turned and the show does show us an inside of what some characters think.

In conclusion

I have a lot of questions plot-wise that I really can't discuss for the point of keeping this review spoiler free so what I hope is that they get answered in the second season. What I love most about the show though is how well it manages to keep you engaged. I love the facial reactions from anyone too because it perfectly shows you every single emotion without the characters having to say anything. So even if you're a huge scaredy cat like me, give "The Promised Neverland,"  a try because while it's labeled as "horror," it is entertaining and not too scary. Thanks for reading, I hope this helps anyone who's thinking about watching this show.

apoc9's avatar
Apr 4, 2019

No doubt this anime has been one of the more popular shows of the season, but after the final episode I feel there is a lot to be desired. The review contains spoiler free sections and spoiler containing sections, make your choice. However before choosing to go full spoilers ahead beware, that the story relies on mind-games, which means I recommend to watch the first episode and then decide. Overall let me just say this, it was a good one time watch. I would consider to read manga after watching anime, because it’s better in my opinion. After reading all current volumes (13) of the manga I decided to fix some mistakes I have made in my evaluation of the story.

The story – spoiler free

The problem with the story is its execution, which is done poorly. It’s like a detective story, where not all clues have been revealed to the viewers.
The ending was disappointing, because it cuts and leaves viewer with more questions than answers. When the proverbial Rubicon is crossed. It feels more like an introductory movie. The only another series with more broken ending is World Trigger, because the source manga had been stalled at the time. There is going to be the second season next year, but it would be better to have one longer two arc season instead this kind of split.

The story - spoilers section (to avoid spoilers skip)

The biggest problem with the story is the amount of things that go behind the scenes and get revealed towards the end. Trainings, meetings and decisions made off screen. Another problem is with occasional portrayal of imaginary dialogues with departed characters in the mind of another character, which makes impression of the character being present for real. It’s very confusing, because viewer has hard time to distinct it from reality. This issue originates from the manga, which has this very problem. This is the case with Norman seeming to be at the wall, when the children finally make the escape. He is only figment of Ray’s inner monologue with Norman. This problem is more prominent due to the fact that the anime ends its season right there. Only in the manga I’ve notice later that Norman is no longer with the group.
There is also one reveal, which came out of nowhere. These parts could be crafted better and more spread out or at least fore-shadowed in some previous episodes. At best one could just guess it right by a mere chance. Not everything was entirely out of blue, but still. Overall the story ending felt rushed compared to the previous episodes.
There are more issues throughout the story. The fact that Ray was her own child didn’t make any sense. It didn’t make much of sense, why to force mothers to actually be the mothers. To have that experience to be better. Then having her to raise the child knowing, that at the age of 12 the child is going to be killed. What about Emma’s broken leg that conveniently healed ahead of time.
One could even speculate whether the whole escape has not been tenaciously supported by the mother or even maybe other adults in the end. However at this point there is no hard evidence for it to be the case.

While even manga does not explain fully things going behind the scenes, it shows more characters outside the house. For example the man, which was behind the messages in the books. The manga presents the façade of happy slice-of-life and the harsh reality hidden behind the house better in my opinion.

Due to the fact that this is just the first arc many question are left unanswered. After reading manga I understand, that the story is constructed as never ending mystery box set within survival story line. Once some question is answered another mystery takes its place.

The characters – spoiler free

The world setting tries to preserve shroud of mystery as much as possible. This is double edged sword. One can understand the advantage of keeping audience speculating about origin and motives of characters. On the other hand it is detrimental to the characters themselves, because the story doesn’t reveal a lot about the characters unless to throw a sudden curveball or to move plot slightly further. Plus most of the characters are children living in a small enclosed area of the house. There is nothing much to their lives by that fact.

The characters – spoilers section (to avoid spoilers skip)

One thing is undeniable the sister Krone is creepy as hell. Only psychopathic women could do this kind of job. That is why she has that creepy doll, which is to represent her own child. An inconsistency, why Isabella could live with her child and Krone did not, is not explained. The trio of main characters are kind of typical, but with quirk of being genius level smart. Ray is the cynical type. Norman is the glue between Ray and Emma. He is more balanced between idealism and realism. He obviously likes Emma. Emma is somewhat tomboyish girl with a heart of gold, caring about others. Until the story throws a curveball making Emma to be much more pragmatic, than she is portrayed for the most of episodes. Ray gives up, until the story says, it was part of the plan! I think the anime does this part differently, because in the manga it’s made quite clear, that both faked giving up. Initially I thought the Norman comes back literally out of nowhere, but that is just in the mind of Ray Norman explaining things going off-screen sic. This confusion is possible also by the last scene of Norman looking surprised, when peering into the room behind gate.

Animation and Art – spoiler free

The art is ok, the background especially external scenery seems like painted with a brush. The foreground and objects are crisp in contrast. I would still say that characters looks are more pronounced visually in the manga. Some people praised the design of the characters at the end of first episode, I would say it was well done.

Soundtrack and Music – spoiler free

Opening and ending is meh, I skip both. Soundtrack is fitting for the scenes. I have no issue there.

Overall – spoiler free

For sure it was one of the top anime of the season, but in a large scope including other past series it isn’t that great. As I said in the beginning it’s a good one time watch. I don’t feel like watching it again in any foreseeable future, but I did read manga. Moreover the manga looks and does things better in my opinion. Let’s see if the next season fixes some of the issues the series has.

OneCraftyLady's avatar
Apr 1, 2019

This review will be mostly spoiler free.

What a ride this anime is. The show centers around Norman, Ray, and Emma as you watch them live out their lives in an orphanage with lots of other kids. Their "Mama" watches over them while they study, laugh, and play together and living carefree happy lives. Their only rule is they may never go outside the gate, until one day they do and they discover the shocking truth about their lives and we get to watch them deal with this revelation and figure out how to overcome it.

This show will keep you hooked from the first episode. It took me twice as long to watch one episode than it should have because I had to keep pausing them because I couldn't handle the stress XD. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat for sure. All of the children are so cute and the art style and animation are both very good.

If you're looking for something to watch that will keep you pressing that "Next episode" button over and over again, this is the show for you!

pikachu203's avatar
Mar 30, 2019

This review will be spoiler free, aside from revealing the overall tone of the show.  The Promised Neverland is a compelling thriller that utilizes sound and animation to form an effective tone.  In particular it’s use of sound effects and music serve to build tension and create emotion.

Story(10/10):

While I can’t reveal much of the story’s contents, it remains a tense thriller with incredibly high stakes should the main children fail in their task or be caught.  From the beginning the show always feels off, even before revealing its hand in how it will terrify the viewer.  The world the show builds is mysterious but very well put together.  What is revealed hints at a larger narrative beyond the main children, but leaves much of the world outside of the Gracefield house a lingering mystery.  The ending of the season still leaves the viewer questioning things about the world.  However, unlike certain other shows, the ending remains impactful and feels complete and satisfying in spite of the remaining questions.

For those who desire the continuation of the story, while the show is not due to continue soon, the manga has continued far beyond the end of the first season.  However it isn’t yet finished as of the time of this review.

The story is complimented well by the show’s animation, character art, and sound, which all serve to keep the viewer on the edge of their seat throughout.

Animation(8.5/10):

Nothing in the show looks particularly bad animation wise, though nothing is spectacular.  Many scenes of characters talking are shot well to convey the tone of the piece, though much consists of characters simply talking.  While the story they’re discussing is compelling and the shot composition is good, it’s not always the most interesting to visually look at.  Two characters standing together and speaking, even if framed welll, doesn’t always add to intrigue.

However, when building tension the show is expert.  It’s use of cgi in a first person perspective is fantastic at making the house feel huge and foreboding.

The background art and coloring are quite lovely to look at.  The colors are realistic, bright, but not oversaturated, capturing the view of a child well.  When they alter for the sake of a flashback, such as in the last episode, it works quite well.

Overall character designs are effective.  Adults appear huge and menacing without losing their humanity.  Certain creatures are bizarre and terrifying.  The only character design you may have already heard discourse of is that of Sister Krone.  Sister Krone is a black woman who comes to assist Isabella with caring for and watching over the children.  She is a fascinating character but her design - as often happens with black characters in anime - has been the cause of some controversy.  Honestly, while she retains the large lips and hairstyle typical of African stereotypes in the United States, her design is toned down from the manga.  Her personality is still immensely over the top, but she’s a enjoyable character.  Honestly, if you’re particularly sensitive to this sort of design it will probably still distract you.

Sound(10/10):

The opening and ending themes are both excellent. I enjoy them musically and they fit the tone of the shoe, with the opening being more rebellious and the ending more somber and subdued.

As hinted at in previous sections to music and sound mixing in this show is absolutely superb and truly makes horrifying scenes more palpably effective.  I do not want to know how they foleyed the sounds of the creatures in this show.

Further, music overall enhances the experience that the manga provides and makes characters like Iabella more sympathetic in its presence.

Characters(10/10):

Despite much of the cast being young children, the characters are fascinating and deal with heavy issues.  With much of the show surrounding intelligent children attempting to outmaneuver manipulative adults to achieve their goals, the characters always feel intelligent and compelling.

While I cannot go into much detail, I can express that they all work well.

Overall(9/10):

If you enjoy psychological thrillers, I highly recommend you check out The Promised Neverland.

While the show isn’t always the most interesting visually it is an absolute treat in its storytelling, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the genre or curious about the show.

8.5/10 animation
Gozza's avatar
Mar 29, 2019

A show similar to Made in Abyss where a group of young kids slowly become aware of how brutal reality is that they live in. The show does an excellent job in building suspense and it also manages to keep you on your toes, wondering who is really in control of this multilayered chess game.

The animations are amazing and there is always something going on in the background which always makes you second guess if you're focussing on the right thing..

The show does a really great job in creating a very dark and gloomy atmosphere which will keep you feeling like something can happen at any time.

The show does a great job in capturing the emotions of the kids. Going from joy, sadness and anger in the blink of an eye.

Brilliantly executed project and deserves nothing but highest praise.

sw00ty's avatar
Mar 29, 2019

I'm not particularly in the habit of giving out perfect scores, and I don't think it's because I'm overly cynical; it's more-so that my basic outlook (insofar as reviews) is that perfect scores should go to shows that are more-or-less perfect. Not literally perfect, necessarily, but near enough as damn, such that any complaints I might have would be incredibly nit-picky. And that's  The Promised Neverland in a nut-shell. It's incredible.

Part of the show's genius is in the simplicity of its premise; in the year 2045, two orphans named Emma and Norman find out that Grace Field House, the place they have called home for as long as they can recall, is not in fact an orphanage but a farm; the walls around the property are not built to keep threats out, but to keep them in; their 'Mother', the caretaker, is overseeing their education and shipping them out once they have reached a pleasing level of intellectual and physical maturity, to be harvested by demonic creatures with no remorse. While shaken by their discovery, the two eventually decide that the only course of action they can accept is an escape plan.

And that's all that TPN is about, when you break it down, but it's also a fantastic selling point, as the viewer can intuitively grasp what the stakes are and what each characters' position is, even when new sub-plots and more complex character relationships are introduced. It also helps elevate nearly every part of the show to a greater standard; while the main trio of Emma, Norman and Ray might appear like The Peppy & Charismatic One, The Pleasant & Collected One and The Morose & Scheming One, conforming to generic tropes, the ways in which they are played off of one another within the structure of the plot lends them a greater authenticity and originality than might otherwise be observable. Every character, both heroic and antagonistic, has their own agenda and again, the show is set up cleverly so that they all tie back to the very simple and very understandable core conceit of 'this place is a farm and I feel ___ about it'.

Structure is actually very important to the show's success, with events and reveals always foreshadowed expertly (I'm not exaggerating when I say that I don't remember a single unsuccessful twist, or a single cliffhanger that didn't infuriate and excite in equal measure). The screenwriters are brilliant at hiding important scenes, reveals or character moments within and between other important scenes, reveals and character moments, and the glorious sense of tension pervasive throughout keeps an emotive undercurrent going which makes up for all of the times when the show needs to explain itself at length, or have characters discuss the state of affairs in a darkly-lit room for the third time in fifteen minutes. Some have called TPN terrifying, and I don't know if I'd agree; rather than frightening, I'd regard the atmosphere as an icy-cold knife-edge where the odds stacked against our young protagonists are always horrifyingly palpable. The show even manages to keep you suspending disbelief insofar as how a group of pre-teens can employ the kind of forward-thinking, reasoning and spatial awareness that many people with graduate degrees would find astounding; it's way more entertaining to be along for the ride.

The voice acting is excellent, the soundtrack never anything other than entirely suitable (the OPs and EDs are also great), and while the artstyle (particularly insofar as character design) put me off initially with the weird frog mouths on some of the faces, I actually found myself warming to it greatly as the runtime went on (maybe because the more uneasy the show made me, the more I found myself enjoying it).

I don't really have anything else to add other than that you owe it to your brain to see this one.

9.5/10 sound
Sailnir's avatar
Mar 9, 2019

The world is not what it seams. This story will grant you a glimpse at a wonderful utopia, only to turn it into what a utopia really is, a no place. Each episode of this completely original story will leave you at the edge of your seat feeling a need to see more. The animation is brilliant and shines very well, drawing you into the world. The motion is fluid and well done and the details and expressions are top notch. The sound is perfect. It is juxtaposes with events heightening emotion and lends a deep tone to many parts of the tale. The characters, though not all fully fleshed out, are each fascinating to watch and how they interact is very well portrayed. I would recommend this series not to the feignt of heart but those that want to feel gripped by a fascinating tale that will leave them constantly pondering what will happen next.

Crua9's avatar
Mar 3, 2019

It's kinda hard to talk about spoilers if you want to do a review. So I will stick to some of my biggest problems with this. All the kids are 11 or under. Once they are 12, they are gone for xyz reason. My biggest problem with this is you have some 10 year olds +/- that learn about some horrible truth. This takes them out of their fansity world where they lived more than less normal lives like most nicer orphanges. They then start thinking automatically like some of the best military tactitions. Someone that would need decades of training and understanding.

Then my other problem is it drip feeds you info so you can never get a true understanding of what is going on (I guess until the end.)

Because that last bit, it's pretty hard to really have an opinion about this.

sweetdesu's avatar
Feb 17, 2019

This anime is a great psychological thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat and leaves your nails a jagged mess from biting them in anxiety. Without giving away important parts of the story, as I feel it's better to go into this anime without knowing much or anything at all, the first episode appears to seem like a normal story about orphans living their lives in an orphanage with no real obstacle in life than lacking parents. However, it very quickly turns into a horrific situation and left me, who is rarely surprised by the stories in anime, incredibly surprised and feeling a sense of, "Oh my God, what the hell is happening?" Each episode, including the first, adds layer upon layer of a mystery that makes you suspicious of everything and everyone, and also makes you want to play along with the mind games. The story becomes progressively more complex with each passing episode without feeling like the writers are trying to cram everything into a single episode to fit the entire story into twelve episodes. The story itself is captivating and I always find myself trying to play the mind games with the characters and trying to solve the games before the characters do, which makes the anime even more enjoyable. The animation is absolutely stunning, as it seems, in certain points, that a "camera" is actually moving with the character. The facial expressions of the characters are also believable and convey the proper emotions of the scene, in most cases. Though every character isn't the most complex, they still add a certain level of depth needed for the story to be interesting and progress through plot points to the eventual end. Honestly, you should just be watching the anime instead of reading my half-baked review. You'll thank me later.