The Perfect Insider - Reviews

Alt title: Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider

KlatchianVampire's avatar
Apr 24, 2016

It's a noitaminA show which I very much enjoyed. There are many people that disliked it, but I was not one of them.

Subete ga F ni Naru is a mystery detective show, and, unlike Ranpo Kitan (previously shown on noitaminA), actually has a mystery and detective work. It's a closed room story -- and I found quite interesting. Granted, I don't watch or read many detective stories, but this one really captivated me.

It is similarly driven by deeper themes -- philosophical questions about the nature of a person, freedom, love, death. Some found it shallow, pretentious even -- I didn't. I felt like the questions were asked naturally, answers proposed cautiously and not simply, as a lesson from a mentor. There are many doubling themes over the series.

The Perfect Insider has two timelines, one, with Saikawa and Moe, and the other in the past, with the young Magata. Both of them are engaging an important to the plot, if a little slow in pacing. I enjoyed the slow build-up, as I absolutely loved the characters interacting. I watched the whole anime in two sittings, introductory 2 episodes, and then 5 and 4. I recommend that you marathon it.

The three most important characters are considered to be very bright (Magata a genius, even), and seeing them interact, their wordplay, the dense relationship they have, the three of them, was very compelling. I found it very well written in this aspect. There are also secondary characters like the Director Shindo, or even less interesting ones, which are very one dimensional, but the main characters are fleshed out quite deeply.

Visually the series was stunning. The simplistic yet extraordinary character design, the animation and emotion that it conveyed, the backgrounds, the dawn scene -- all were remarkable.

As for the sound: voice acting was generally great, apart from the infamous long English scene that felt somewhat forced vocally -- as it made perfect sense from the plot point. OP/ED are remarkably good, not obvious both in their tune as well as visually. The OST had some remarkable tracks.

The Perfect Insider is not a perfect anime, however. There are some inconsistencies, or the animation suggests them -- the placement of the second body. The importance of virtual reality in the story even though the viewers are only introduced to it in 6-7th episode. The field of Saikawa and Moe is not clear -- just that they are extremely brilliant, and that Moe is good in maths. And yet she disregarded an important clue. But this can be explained that a) she's not a programmer or a mathematician per se b) she's a person and makes judgement mistakes. There is also an issue with Shiki Magata's sister -- Maki, and her recognition by the directors wife. Again, perhaps rewatching the series would clear those questions. I am certainly going to do so.

Unfortunately, despite being an opening novel in the series, the anime will probably not get a next season.

Reinjy's avatar
Jul 11, 2020

This is one of my top list since I've watched it from a long time. Honestly there's a lot of complexity logic solving here and there, some of them I didn't remember now at all. But it was a great anime, it wasn't too slow paced for me, and it was really more focus in the mystery itself. There's a good thrill here for insights as the story progress too that you will always look forward to.

(Spoiler) since on the episode where I saw how Magata behave with her uncle, I already have the feeling there. Specially on the early episode where both arms and limbs were totally cut off, I had the feeling that from the title itself "perfect insider" it became obvious that she's pregnant when she got locked. But it didn't kill the fun for me since there's a lot of things to uncover still.

But overall, yes, I like this anime a lot.

haize78's avatar
Jan 17, 2016

I'm slightly conflicted about this anime. I stand by the opinion I gathered while watching it that it isn't remarkable at all and quite boring at times. It's a murder mystery anime with loads of philosophical bullshit that they intend to pass on as meaningful and profound. And there's also a smidge of love story thrown in as a bonus.

As for the story, I'm not much impressed by it. The pacing is painstakingly slow. It's a murder mystery, as I said. So we've got our two main protagonists that, after discovering the body of an eminent researcher, decide to act as investigators and start gathering clues to solve the mystery because they are so much more intelligent than the police could ever hope to be. For the most part, it's incredibly repetitive: they summarise all the information they've got after every new clue they find uncountable times, which is annoying to say the least. But what I found most annoying of all is, on the one hand, all the unjustified hype they put on the psuedo-philosophical crap that is the setting against which the crime was carried out; and on the other hand, on the super-intelligence of the two main protagonists in understanding what is going on and identifying the perpetrator and their motives. Really over-rated, in my opinion. The love story gets hinted at during all the anime, and then in the last episode you get a little bit more of an insight into it. It's not exactly a love story, more like the description of the relationship between the two main characters that is, incidentally, of a romantic nature. And this part is more well-executed and believable, in my opinion.

The characters. Shiki Magata, the genius researcher who is murdered and who spouts out all the philosophical bullshit - mah. If you overlook all the meaningless philosophical stuff, I don't know that much of a character is left. As for Saikawa-sensei and Moe, the laid-back, apathetic  teacher and the spoilt poor little rich brat who lost her parents, they are better portrayed. I'd say there is next to no development, but as the detective story progresses you kind of get to understand better the relationship between the two. I must admit that I found Moe incredibly annoying, irritating and childish - which I guess is better than indifference. And I couldn't for the life of me comprehend why a university teacher should even begin to feel attracted to her. But she does somewhat redeem herself in the last episode. Saikawa-sensei's personality is similarly well depicted but it similarly doesn't develop at all.

As for animation and sound, they're both decent.

Overall and in conclusion, I'm not overly impressed by this anime. Pretentious, would be a correct definition of it, in my opinion. For me, it was mostly a waste of time.

5.5/10 characters
5.5/10 overall
CaptainSlow's avatar
Dec 20, 2015

What I Liked: The slow pacing made for a slow-burn kind of series. The grounded character designs. Good voice acting all round, with competent attempts at English from Yasayuki Kase and Yuuko Kaida. The amazing soundtrack. The OP, from the music itself to the choreography. The ED in its entirety. The set designs, and with them the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Magata Lab. The elements of computer science used within the show.

What I Didn't: Dr. Magata seemed less like a character and more like a vehicle for pseudo-philosophical nonsense. Lack of exploration of Magata's DID. The constant philosophical discussions, especially in the first few episodes, may deter some viewers. The slow pacing made the series feel longer than it should've. Incest, because why? The ending felt a little fumbled.

Final Veridict: The Perfect Insider positions itself as foremost a philosophical think-piece and as a complex closed-room murder-mystery second - which unfortunately lets the show down in many ways. It's all dressed up in a stylish package, though, with a brilliant soundtrack and dark atmosphere, but the slow pacing and ultra abundance of navel-gazing will deter some viewers.

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Jan 15, 2016

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

The Perfect Insider was mystery anime I originally hadn’t planned to watch but eventually did.

Positive

*So the first thing that I liked in this anime was the animation. Now the animation really divides the anime community. Some will really like this sort of character design, others will absolutely despise it. Because the character design was quite special, it also took me quite a while to get used to it. Especially since I’m not used to this kind of animation from A-1 Pictures. But after I got used to it, it didn’t bother me anymore.

And an aspect that I did like was the color palette in the Perfect Insider. You know that I like very colorful anime’s but the Perfect Insider is the complete opposite, this is a very gray and sober anime. But despite the fact that I like colors, in this anime the gray and monotone theme fitted the anime and the atmosfeer of the story. It is still after all a murder-investigation story.

*The next thing that I liked was the relationship between our 2 main characters Moe and Saikawa and to be more precise the fact that there’s almost no development in their relationship. Now I’m being contradictory here again because usually I hate it when there’s no development in the relationship between 2 characters.

But here that was different, I liked that their relationship at the end of the anime is exactly the same as at the start of the anime. Because, in my opinion, a romance between them would not have fitted the anime, it would have been out of place. So that’s why I liked the sort of platonic relationship between Moe and Saikawa. Now it’s not entirely true that there’s no development at all, but there isn’t any on the romantical platform and that was a good thing here.

*Now what I also liked was the daring path that the anime took. See when we were about 5-6 episodes into the anime. A lot of people in the anime community started to come up with theories about who had murdered Shiki and one of those theories became very popular. The thing is that that theory was fucked up and I mean really fucked up. I remember that I was discussing this theory with a friend of mine and that I literarily said to him “If they dare to go that path, I’m going to take my hath of for them.”

Well, here you go, Perfect Insider, I take my hath of for you. The truth about Shiki’s death was so fucked up and bravo to A-1 Pictures for having the guts to take such a dark and daring path. I haven’t seen a lot of anime’s that came up with such a sick and disturbing conclusion. But that was what made the conclusion of the Perfect Insider really original and it’s definitely one I will remember for a long time.

*And related to that is my last positive point which was the plot twist in the final episode. When I finished the 10th episode, I thought that the story was done, the mystery was solved. But then in the final episode the anime throws a twist at us that I didn’t see coming. When I was watching that final episode I was like “Wow”. It was like the last piece of the puzzle but the puzzle got quite rearranged by the fit of it. So yeah, if you want to find out what it was, I can only suggest to watch the anime yourself.

Negative

Now there were good things about the Perfect Insider, but I had one major problem with this anime. It’s something very subjective and personal so don’t judge me for it. I found the anime to be quite boring, especially in the middle part. There was absolutely no excitement from let’s say episode 3 to episode 8. Nothing was happening, nothing got solved. Every solution to the mystery was packed in episodes 9 and 10. In those episodes everything gets solved. I would have enjoyed the anime more if the mystery would have been solved bit by bit, not everything at once. If we got a piece of the puzzle every episode, I would have been way more interested in the story but now. Now the story kind of lost me along the way, becoming quite boring to watch.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, I’m not going to say that The Perfect Insider is a bad anime, definitely not. If you’re into serious mystery anime’s then I think you will really enjoy this anime but it just wasn’t my cup of tea. And that’s why I’m going to rate Subete ga F ni Naru at 2,5 stars. I want to repeat myself, this is not a bad anime but to me it was a bit to boring to really interest me.

5.5/10 overall