The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today - Reviews

Alt title: Dekiru Neko wa Kyou mo Yuuutsu

animeplanet0's avatar
Oct 1, 2023

One of the top five shows of this anime season. It would be difficult to find fault with this show. Can only hope for another season.

marimobunnies's avatar
May 28, 2024

I will miss Yukichi so much! This has been my comfort anime before I go back to binge watch some of the series in my list. It was really fun to watch, Yukichi was always so relaxing to see. I really hope they continue this one, but this is already a good anime as a standalone to those who want to watch a lighter, uplifting, series. I like how it was also realistic on the side (being adult in this busy world) but then there's Yukichi...there's also a few lessons to take in watching this anime and I think that is a good reminder to one's self.

Vyou's avatar
Feb 16, 2024

It's actually wonderful!

I could really relate as a pet owner, made me wish my dog would bother her distinguished self to lift her chubby bottom off the bed and cook me a meal...

I was not too impressed with the animation at first but soon it won a place in my heat and I've missed it since it was finished. It became one of my comfort shows and I really want another season.

krofire's avatar
Jan 16, 2024

Studio GoHands’ 2023 adaptation of Hitsuji Yamada’s popular manga is certainly a weird one and a highlight of the season. Twenty-something professional Saku Fukuzawa is a mess. She is struggling at work and is so disorganised her apartment is awash with rubbish. She hides from the pressure under an alcoholic-haze. Things are not looking pretty for her until she takes in a stray cat. She has a good heart and cares for the cat better than she cares for herself. The cat is scared that his new owner might simply die leaving him without a meal-ticket. So, he decides to take care of her in return. The kitten grows up and up and up until he is bigger than her and has fully anthropomorphic features. He can’t talk but he has learnt how to cook and clean to the point that he has turned her life around. It is a strange fantasy that defies all classification. Maybe it is all a comment on the pressures upon you adults who are unable to cope with the pressures of Japanese corporate life. Who knows?

Despite featuring a six-foot-tall housekeeping cat this really is not aimed at children. A lot of it would not be appropriate for kids. It deals a lot with Japanese corporate professional life so much if it is familiar from other anime that covers office work life. The GoHands animation makes a lot of use of CGI 3D street scenes and some of it seems photo-realistic. We see the same animation technique cropping up in their other big hit of 2023 “The Girl I like Forgot Her Glasses”. The show is equally well written and entertaining. Sadly, the story doesn’t seem to go anywhere as it dwells largely on backstory. The audience respects the fact that our office hero is now succeeding professionally because of her feline “partner” but it reaches no more conclusions. It all seems a little pointless. Any philosophical points are obscured. There must be more to it but it lacked depth in the story telling. It comes over as superficial yielding to the pressure to just be a story about a cat that can hoover and a girl who earns her own redemption. Worth a watch though.

rkikive's avatar
Dec 31, 2023

A cute story about a masterful cat (really living up to the name) together with his owner. Heartwarming, something that you can watch to wind down. Little to no romance, though there are some brief interactions with her boss (minor character). Hope there's be another season as it's a really fun and cute story!