The Lost Village

Alt title: Mayoiga

Add review
pikachu203's avatar
Jun 28, 2019

I had not heard of this anime until I was scrolling through options on Crunchyroll in a foreign country while sick, looking for anything interesting.  Overall, it isn’t the worst anime ever, but there’s little going for it beyond the underlying themes of dealing with and accepting trauma.  This review will spoil themes of The Lost Village.  A thriller or horror story with the concept of monsters based off of one’s personal trauma does have potential for deep emotional drama and horrific designs.  Despite this, the show fails to deliver on the potential of the concept of Nanaki village, where one must face their trauma in various monstrous forms.

The anime’s message of accepting trauma is heartfelt, stating that one must accept their traumatic experiences as part of them to move on, rather than ignoring them and becoming apathetic, running away from them, or cutting them out.  It even awknowledfes how difficult such a concept is for some people.  Some of the characters are effective, such as the bus driver, but others do not get enough time to be developed in the slightest.  Regardless of these positive aspect’s the show’s sound, writing, visual design, and scene pacing all leave the show with no tension, which at worst leaves the viewer apathetic and at best is laughably awful.

Story(5/10):

When weighing the potential with the overall mediocre execution, in my opinion the show is lukewarm at best in this category.

The cast is far too large for all of their stories Amanda personalities to really stand out in such a short series.  Their development could have easily benefited from a longer run time.

The initial mystery of Nanaki village is good, but the show, and particularly the short, and(spoilers) shockingly positive and far too short (spoilers end) ending leave it with little of the overall potential of the concept and themeing delivered upon.

Art(4/10):

The show’s art style isn’t entirely terrible.  The backgrounds are usually fine.  The characters have distinctive enough designs to stand out from each other in the massive cast.  This leaves them mostly unmemorable design-wise.  Monster designs are a completely mixed bag.  When the viewer is actually allowed to see something creepy, it is either relatively creepy like a giant bee or floating demonic head, or completely ridiculous like giant cg silicon or speedstar’s Nanaki.

The animation itself is pretty dull.  Very little visually happens and the dearth of interesting shot compositions leads in part to the show’s lack of tension.  Much of the show is characters just talking or arguing with one another.  The use of cg is usually pretty noticeable and not particularly well implemented overall.  Particularly the bus and some monster designs are egregious in this respect.

Character(5/10):

There are simply too many characters to have them all be developed properly in a 12 episode show.  Some do not have any aspect of their stories, or the monsters associated with them, shown or described in the slightest.

Those who do get time in the spotlight are a pretty mixed bag, with some being darkly believable and others - like getting silicon injected in one’s head to be taller - border on ridiculous.  Most characters are fine when they get time to show themselves as deeper than their initial traits, though some - particularly Lovepon - can be rather grating.  Even the developed characters could use more time or tighter writing to complete their tales.

The overall cast dynamic does allow for plenty of drama, though it’s a shame the writing failed to deliver on any real tension from said drama.

The cast does house a male yandere at least, so that’s fun.

Sound(6/10):

All of the voice actors do a pretty good job as their characters, and the opening and ending songs are pleasant.  Nothing stands out as truly fantastic, and some monster sounds are hilariously bad.  The lack of environmental background noise also detracts from the atmosphere and detracts from tension when the show choses to pause.  These unnatural silences feel awkward rather than terse.

Overall(4.5/10):

The anime really is just okay.  There are certainly worse things one could watch, and the initial mystery does provide a nice hook, but the overall product is lukewarm at best.  If you’re intrigued at all by the content you can give it a watch, but there’s more interesting thrillers and horror stories  to be viewing both in and out of the medium of anime.  It doesn’t particularly succeed at being a funny so bad it’s good comedy either in my experience.  It has some hilarious moments but it doesn’t reach the ridiculousness of something like King’s Game.  If one is looking for a so bad it’s good humourous anime watch, I’d recommend King’s Game instead.

However, if, like me, it’s available, you have time to kill, and not much else to do, it is a passable and somewhat enjoyable distraction.  There is some enjoyment to be had here.  Maybe you’ll even get more out of it then I did, either as a serious narrative or a humourous hate watch.

4.5/10 story
4.5/10 overall
CaptainPancakes's avatar
Jun 22, 2016

Who cares? No one cares. This show has no meaning. It has no purpose. What would you even classify this show as? It can't possibly be a horror, since nothing horrifying happens. It can't possibly be a suspense show, since the show doesn't even try to create suspense on a basic level. You might classify it as a comedy, if you interpret it's awfulness as a an attempt to create something so unintentionally bad, except here's the plot twist: they did it on purpose!

That's the only argument I ever see that may potentially be the show's saving grace. But you know what I think? They tried too hard to make it bad, that it just ended up being bad. Outrageously bad. Stupendously bad. Ungratifyingly bad. Think of all the proper adjectives to insert in front of "bad," and keep it there, because there's no other word for this show except bad. It's banal, devoid of thought, and by the end, no one cared. The show was so self aware to the point, that it made everyone just not care. It's hard to care for something that doesn't care about itself. So I won't care. Because the show doesn't even want me to care.

STORY

Thirty uninteresting and unintelligent strangers meet up at a bus, with a kooky bus driver, y'know, feeling nervuos, singing songs about hippopotimi, whatever you can think of! These strangers are travelling into a far off mysterious and "lost village" (wow, fantastic!) in order to escape from their past lives. So they find the village, sorry for the spoiler about the show called The Lost Village, but they find the village for sure. And then literally nothing happens.

Nothing. Nothing at all. Oh, the show tries to make it seem like something happens, but really, nothing happens. The people go crazy, witch-hunt this girl, people disappear but not really, yadda yadda, Nanaki Nanaki...

If you want to actually know the story, well, this show attempts to be some sort of character study? I don't even know what it wanted to be, but it presented itself as something that wanted to look into the minds of people who are too weak to accept not being able to join the military because of a breast implant inside their head. Except it doesn't. Our main characters sort of gets a resolution, but it happens to fast, you can't even blink by the time they disappear and the show successfully underwent "development" for it's terrible characters.

ANIMATION & SOUND

Character designs are pretty damn ugly. Everyone is so damn skinny, you can use them as swizzle sticks for your fruit baskets. Throughout the show, our main character tries his best to bone with a bunch of girls, but with a design like that? He couldn't even dominate a librarian. It gets a relatively decent grade however, because the CGI for its monsters are so wickedly stupid, it becomes tolerable. Yes, the CGI monsters represent what the show wanted to become.

Soundtrack is nothing special. Opening is okay, ending is pretty boring, soundtrack is pasable...run of the mill soundtrack, but nothing you'd probably look to search for on Soundcloud.

CHARACTERS

What? Characters? There are characters in this show? Wait, actually, there are thirty of them. Thirty caricatures. These characters are barely characters at all, in fact. There's one character named Lovepon who's only gimmick in the show is to spout out irritating and violent quips about executions. She had a sad past, sure. But the main issue is that she's annoying. That's a helpful description of 90% of the characters in this show. There's one fat guy who's a stereotypical fat guy, who exists only to be a fat guy. There's a slut, who's a stereotypical slut, who exists only to be a slut. Then there's an annoying couple, a deadly annoying chuuni, a kid with some sort of lethal disease, etc, etc., and these characters don't serve any function whatsoever except to occasionaly make extremely stupid and annoying remarks.

These "remarks" are supposedly a part of the comedy. People say that these remarks somehow contrast against the serious tone the show is giving (a serious, monotonous, boring tone), yet I personally don't find it funny when each comedic line is simply the fat guy going "I'm tired I'm tired I'm hungry" any time he gets a pinch of screentime. But of course, comedy is subjective, so if you think watching a sexy girl make sexy remarks during sexy serious scenes is comedic, then this show is right up your alley! I guess.

But these are just the supporting characters. There are a couple of characters...there's a detective lady (who I admit, actually had a couple good lines -- she was one of the few tolerable characters) who behooves herself to feel her love handles everytime she makes an analysis. There's this girl who can predict death...though that's her only trait, otherwise she's a stoic loli. Then there's this businessman kind of guy who keeps shouting and doesn't stop shouting and always shouts cause shouting is healthy and gets your point across this isn't shouting THIS IS SHOUTING.

But, you know what? Most of these characters are all annoying. And no one trumps annoying like our main character, Mitsumune. To be fair, he gets some deal of development, and by the end he's not the most intolerable character (I chalk that up to everyone else becoming more intolerable than him, but I digress), but you'll have to endure the first half of him having no personality whatsoever -- only a weak boy who has orgasmic brainfarts every time a girl walks up to him and even breathes in his presence. And this irritation transcends any sort of development in the second half of the show.

In the end though, the gimmick of these characters going into the village (which if revealed would be a spoiler to the main "twist," if you can call something so obvious a "twist") doesn't amount to anything. The resolution for the characters either hit a dead end, because they end up becoming so lazy (I imagine the writers were channeling themselves through the characters) or the show just doesn't have enough time to give the characters who "deserve" a proper resolution the ending they should have gotten. So nothing changes between the start of the anime and the end. Absolutely nothing. Most of the characters enter the village the same, and come out the same.

CONCLUSION

This show sucks. It sucks. The characters know whatever world they're in sucks. They don't want to be there, they want to come out desperately. Maybe this show is poetic, somehow? Maybe it's actually a masterpiece of direction -- each brillant scene of characters spewing out pointless line after line is absolutely hysterical, and will have you literally imploding on the floor, laughing your head off because of how amazingly directed it is. Indeed, stupid characters saying stupid things is the sign of a true director. I can only dream to be as artistically envisioned.

...Well, if you find that sort of stuff funny, I won't judge you. Go ahead and spend the next five hours of your life laughing at something that's unintentionally "funny." But I will say that this anime will be forgotten. It will most definitely be forgotten. No one will recommend this anime. No one will even speak of this anime again. It's bad, but it's not bad to the point of becoming a cult classic, like Troll 2. No, this show is just bad. There's no excuse for this show being as bad as it is. So this show will be forgotten. Thrown into the void with other pointlessly pointless anime. Because it's The Lost Village. This anime disappears just like it's village -- which is mindblowingly artistic - but y'know, I'm just not an artsy guy. I can't fully understand how amazingly crafted this show is in it's comedy. But I guarantee you, most people won't either.

You hear that, Mari Okada? You're too smart for us. You're too smart for us, dammit.

0.1/10 story
0.1/10 characters
0.1/10 overall
MockingEntropy's avatar
Jun 26, 2016

And so Mayoiga made History. An unforgettable plot which leads us in a world populated with characters not possesing either true purpose or substance and where "coherence" is banished. Everything is overblown and badly written. The intent of Diomedea (the studio) was to build a mysterious and immersive story based upon social trauma taking shape of an illusion, a very good premise. But it only goes into a non-assumed comedy, ironically worth watching because of that... medley of cliffhangers. Another anime with a huge lack of maturity which appropriates itself the demography "seinen" while it does not respect the codes

There is no more thing to say.

Notation :

-Story part : 0.5/10

."Pacing" means nothing in this show. Incredible. (0/2)

.A plot without substance. I call this "blank hole". (0/2)

.False complexity, there is no depth. (0/2)

.Regarding Plausibility, I would be able to give -1 here. (0/2)

.A pointless conclusion to a pointless story. (0/2)

.Bonus : Good premise. (0.5/2)

-Animation part : 3.5/10

.Decent production value. Low budget. (1/2)

.Decent visual effects. (1/2)

.A pretty good character design overall (Special mention to Lion and Jack). (1/2)

.Awkward staging because of the omnipotent non-sense. (0/2)

.Uggly background, lack of details. (0.5/2)

-Sound part : 6/10

.High quality sound effects. (2/3)

.Concerning the soundtrack, it's forgettable. (1/3)

.Good voice acting. (2/3)

.Good BGM, atmosphere is almost immersive. (1/1)

-Characters part : 0.5/10

.The switch of character point of view is badly thought. (0/2)

.A mere presence of a collective catharsis (about "fear"), but pointless. (0.5/2)

.Character development is an abstract notion in this show. (0/2)

.Characters personality : Cliche, irrationnal and overblown. (0/2)

.Is there any backdrop here? Yes,Probably in a bucket... (0/2)

-Miscellaneous part ( doesn't count in the notation ) : 1/10

.Best Rewatchability ever. (0/3)

.Disappointing OP and ED. (0/1)

.Enjoyment is almost here !! It'll stay in my memories !!! I give 1 point !!! (1/6)

OVERALL : 2.5/10

Wasted potential

Wasted potential

0.5/10 story
3.5/10 animation
0.5/10 characters
2.5/10 overall
PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Apr 13, 2016

UPDATE 6/10: I am going to wait until the series is finished and I rewatch it all at once to put up my new final review. Honestly, I think this is a good watch, but I think it would be more enjoyable if I wasn't waiting a week between episodes. Stories tend to lose momentum when told in small portions over a long period of time which is why I prefer to watch finished animes. I just have a hard time waiting till the end of the season to watch, so I just watch as it comes out and then rewatch later if I feel like it. What I am trying to say is, I think it's too early to pass any judgements. There were episodes that started to feel slow, but I think if watched one right after the other, instead of watching one episode, then 5 other animes, then another episode, might make those slower episodes feel less slow. Like they say, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. An object at rest tends to stay at rest. Now that I typed that, I think it might not be the right saying I wanted for this. Oh well.

So far, it's an interesting anime. It got a little iffy for a while, but it picked itself back up. I was a little nervous that it might crash and burn during some of the slower episodes, but I think it will be okay. It turned out a bit differently than I expected when watching the first few episodes.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: So far there are only two episodes but it seems promising. It starts out rather oddly on a bus "tour" which isn't exactly a tour. All the characters are introduced quickly which is somewhat common in  this type of anime but since I'm sure several of them won't last long anyway, it doesn't matter. The first episode takes place almost entirely on a bus and it has that feel of a big school trip where you actually get a tour bus not a regular old stinky yellow school bus, although the main topic certainly isn't what you would likely discuss on a school trip. Basically most of the characters want to leave their old life behind and start new in this villiage isolated from the rest of society. A few have other various reasons or at least they say they do.

The plan seems poorly thought out but then again that's what makes it sort of believable to me. I can see people doing this. Then again I have little faith in humanity.

They don't know if anyone is living in this village. They assume there are others that went missing before and built this village but they don't know for sure. They didn't bring much from their previous life or supplies but then again most of them are rather young and at least some are rather naive. Still, the show has potential and I was pretty much glued to the screen the whole time.

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Jul 3, 2016

Positive

*Let’s start with the overall set-up of Mayoiga because that was something that I found to be really interesting. The concept of people having psychological scares and them trying to get over them is always successful in gathering my interest. As I said multiple times before on other reviews: I love psychological anime’s and Mayoiga used that to its fullest advantage. It’s also something that we can extrapolate to real life, everyone has their scars. Everyone has their things that happened in the past that they would rather forget about. And seeing anime characters trying to get over their scars maybe makes you think about your scars as well.

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*Related to the previous point are the backstories. The backstories were pretty fucking sad. In my opinion especially those of Lion and the main character Mitsumune. Now the fact that we also got backstories for a big part of the characters was to be expected since that’s vital for a psychological mystery anime that Mayoiga was. I also did have some problems with the backstories which I will get to in a minute.

*My final positive point was the conclusion of Masaki’s story. The truth about who Reiji really is, is something that I didn’t expect. Now I can’t go into too much detail about who Reiji is since that’s something that you only discover later in the anime. But that truth was a welcome surprise.

Negative

Now if you have been following the episodical reviews of Mayoiga than you know that this anime wasn’t very popular and by many it was portrayed as trash. And that was because Mayoiga had some issues.

*The first issue, and also the most distinguished feature of Mayoiga, were the characters. 30 characters was too much for this anime. Now I personally didn’t have a problem with 30 characters but the mistake that Mayoiga made was that it tried to make all of those characters equally important. And that was way too much.

For starters, our 2 supposedly main characters Mitsumune and Masaki didn’t really feel as main characters, especially Mitsumune. The time that was spent on them wasn't proportionally bigger then the time spent on other characters. Characters like Valkana and Hayato were treated equally important with the same amount of screen time. Mayoiga would have better off by leaving at least 20 of those 30 characters as screen filling. It would have been okay for them to be there but without names or purposes in the anime, just as screen filling.

*And this also created the problem of time distribution between the characters. Some characters from the first halve of the anime like for instance Lovepon get a backstory but slowly and silently disappear in the second halve. And the opposite happened as well, in the second part of the anime we have for instance Nanko who plays an important role in reaching the final conclusion. But from her we know nothing, no backstory what so ever while for characters like Lion and Jigoku we do get one but they’re not important to the main storyline.

*So overall I can actually summarize Mayoiga’s story as a mess. There was just so many things going on at the same time that it sometimes was really hard to follow. There were too many supplementary things thrown into the story that delivered no extra meaning to the main storyline or the main mystery of Nanaki. Would the anime have been better if, like some suggested, characters would have died, evolving Mayoiga into a survival anime? Maybe yes but I see the way that the creators wanted to take Mayoiga. Unfortunately, the path was way too complicated.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, do I think that Mayoiga is trash like a lot of people think? No, not really. I have seen anime’s that bored the hell out of me and Mayoiga wasn’t that boring. Although being very confusing at times, I remained interested in what was to come and how everything would turn out. And that’s why I’m going to rate Mayoiga at 3 stars. This series had a lot of potential but unfortunately a lot of went to waste with the overabundance of characters.

6.5/10 sound
6.1/10 overall
ryanshowseason2's avatar
Jul 15, 2016

Short simple review

Know the silent hill series?

Welcome to the anime version of that for better or worse depending on your point of view.

There are some plot holes but hey no one's perfect. Also most of the characters are stereotypes, and there are 30 of them.

That being said I enjoyed my stay in sanitized anime silent hill.

Bkeiper83's avatar
Feb 26, 2017

This show gives me mixed feelings. While in the beginning it gave me the mystery feeling of Silent Hill the video game, in the end it let me down like Silent Hill the movie.

Story: 7 of 10 and that's being a bit generous. Its the same tired, mystery village/town that has been done some many times before in all platforms of media. However it did take the fun approach that this group WANTED to be there. So i gave it bonus points.

The animation was rather decent, however not perfect. Considering some things may be a bit harder on the animation scale I gave it high praise.

Sound: 9 of 10 OP & ED were rather good, and fit well. PLEASE do not go in thinking they have hit a home run like they did with High school of the Dead. That IS NOT the case however it is well done. The ambiance effects are slight however if you listen you will hear them. They did good on music heightening the scenes as well.

Characters: 8 of 10 This once again the same old trouped out nonsense we have come to expect and some of us love. However there were interesting character developments, which really changed the pace of the show and yes some were for the better. The character design was standard, however without revealing any spoilers there were some unique features.

Ashsforever's avatar
Dec 4, 2016

Usually, in anime's everyone is depressed and it's just cliche, however in this anime it gives the selected people reasons to be upset, and they try their best to rid of the sadness. The idea of nanaki village was amazing, and you'll probably agree once you watch the anime. If you're expecting the same thing as Another, don't. This is much more entertaining as I personally got bored of Another rather quickly. The only flaws I really see is how they aren't very good at measuring the characters, some are more obsolete as others even though it's suppose to be a 'group story.' Jack is a good example of this.

JESSETHEBUSH's avatar
Dec 15, 2016

Mayoiga [The Lost Village] 3/10

Mayoiga wants to be a smart yet scary show that focuses heavily on the introspection of its characters and their own personal demons rather than any real external threat and it fails spectacularly.

Story 3/10

The best thing about the story was the ending because it tied up one or two of the unanswered questions, it tried to be thought provoking and it meant that you didn't have to watch the show any more. The reason it failed to be thought provoking was because it ended as a story about its characters because all the characters are terrible it just didn't work, and because it threw subtlty to the wind with pushing its message to the viewer. There was terrible pacing throughout with people screaming at each other one second and joking the next which exemplified how the show created drama for the sake of drama and gave no reason or motivation as to why any of the people thought or did what they did. There was a few exceptions to this but none of the provided reasons made their stupendeous overreactions believeable.

Animation 4/10

The animation was alright, but for a show airing in 2016 its incredibly disappointing. The character designs were nice but showed minimal movement and the backgrounds were embarassingly empty.

Sound 5/10

The OP was average with nothing memorable and the ED was a only just a bit better. The soundtrack wasn't great but it didnt take away from the show and the voice acting varied from good to bad.

Characters 2/10

The characters are clearly what killed the show. The very begining of the show gave us the worst/laziest indroduction to a set of characters I have ever seen with them all sitting on a bus and going around the circle introducing themselves, desperately trying to interest the viewer by showing varying degrees of edgyness and conveying some of the characters one quirk that makes them different and stand out from the large cast. From there we witness a bunch of idiodic characters acting smart and forcing their own drama when there was blatantly no need. This derailed any interesting direction the show might have gone in and instead turned into a large and meaningless witch hunt so when the characters did this again and again it made them incredibly unlikeable. Learning some of the characters past was the only saving grace and that was pretty terrible anyway since the long awaited substance of any character was never enough to justify the ridiculous over the top actions. In the end each character felt like idiodic overblown cardboard cutout with a single quirk/past traumer and in a show thats entire substance is its characters I can't recommend the trainwreck that is Mayoiga to anyone.

Secret Santa Review

OnlySix's avatar
Aug 31, 2017

I can't help but think everyone who rated this anime lower then three stars just doesn't get this show. The intracate thought put into the story and the phycological twists are amazing! If you're looking for something you can watch with a numb brain and not really think about anything, don't watch this. If you're looking to watch an anime because of the fight scenes, watch one-piece or something. If you're like me and you love anime that messes with your head and makes you think deeply, watch this. Not giving anything away, this anime goes deep into the subcounscious of all the charactors. It tests them in ways I havn't thought of before. It braught back my own past and memories, sucking me into the story. If you have an even remotly scarring past, like I do, I guarentee you'll connect with a charactor or two. Don't get put off by the bad reviews like I almost did. This is a very good show for anyone who has struggled with a scarring past, not for someone who just likes the action.

LailanD's avatar
Apr 17, 2020

Well... I would say that this anime is the best of I've ever seen... really. I cried alot while seeing the strong friendship between Mitsumune and Hayato. Very nice and well made anime, really, good job to Diomedea studio! ^^ I love it alot and I highly recommend it to horror, friendship genre anime lovers.

Bravo723's avatar
Jul 30, 2017

Only as far as episode 5 so far so can't give a score for story yet, but will be low unless the writer pulls a rabbit out of his ass before it's ending.

So far this anime wasn't bad enough with saying that so many minors were able to all take a bus out of town overnight to live in a new life without a single one of their parents noticing that something was amiss and contacting law enforcement to crack their emails if the parents couldn't themselves and then stopping the bus before it ever reached it's destination with the abducted children.  Really. you Writer's either need to change your stories or make them at least somewhat feasible instead of forcing mid teens into so many of their anime. And creating a supernatural dystopia as just a unfindable village in a thriving country? Just create a true dystopian society that you can follow with several 100 episodes over the lives of many generations that either rebuild in the end or fall into a never ending dark ages. There is no reason to keep creating 12 or 24 episode diferent dystopian pieces of garbage anime.

But to say that so many minors and late teens such as the negro or mulatto in this one that was only interested in Rap Music and Rape. Yet was able to secure his place on the bus to a village to create a new life by by cracking the internet layer code and some shit about it being cracked because of accounting knowledge?? And even that yet again from about 1/4 of the cast of 30 being mid teen minors were able to accomplish..Well total Bunk, this ass most definitely should have never been included at all. Nor any of the young teens.

You writers can cater to adults and still pull off a huge success with a several hundred episode anime if you really try.
 And stop making the leds so easy to spot as well as most of the ideals of the others just by their looks even before they said their names on the bus ride as it panned to each of them. This without me ever reading a single review nor looking into anything about this show except that it had enough votes from a previous anime that I had watched that I just went to it.

0.1/10 story
6.7/10 sound
0.1/10 characters
3.7/10 overall
EvilTwin94's avatar
Mar 21, 2017

[I SAW THE WHOLE ANIME/SPOILER FREE]

I am writing this review because i feel that this is one of the most underrated animes that i saw. I know it seems dull at the beggining, but i can promise you, it is well written, and it is way better than erased (who i consider similar, and overrated). If you want to discuss the anime with me before you start to watch, feel free to do so.

apoc9's avatar
Apr 24, 2016

Let me start from my first impressions. Initially I was like "Show takes place on the bus? Don't tell me the whole story is going to take place only inside the bus?" Luckily not, but first things first. In the beginning I'm punched in my stomach with one huge info dump. I am talking about the introductions. In short time two or three dozen of characters introduce themselves and basically tell what they are about. Since I presume most of them are just wearing the red uniform it is good thing to have large cast, otherwise there won't be so much characters in a few episodes. How the hell should I remember them in that short time. They are all dead anyway. That is what I thought at first, but let me tell you contrary to the appearances the anime is not shlock horror.
The whole premise or rather its initial presentation is quite silly. It is bunch of people on tour for secret village, where people live outside of control and norms of the Japan society. Except it does not make sense. If it is so secret how would they ever get there in the first place, even more in some kind of organized trip.
When they get to the village things spin out of control. Still not that interesting, although some people considered the whole thing as comical. However to paraphrase Gordon Ramsay “You have to finish strong!” That is what this anime did in its final chapter. All things started to get lot more sense and the story was much more pulling me in, unlike in previous episodes.

The characters are bunch of more or less crazy escapists. There were some serious nut jobs to the point it was comical for viewers. While it seems like there is huge cast in fact only about a third of the characters are shown fully. The rest is more to add up to numbers, there is not much about them shown or explained. They don’t do that much for the story. Towards the end I find myself even liking some of the more prominent characters.

As for animation it is fairly ok, with some CGI, like it is usually done these days. BGM was pretty good and underlining the eerie atmosphere. OP/ED couldn’t care less.

If I didn’t finish watching this anime I would rate it much lower based on impressions from the first half. It did some serious mistakes, but finished on a positive note. The biggest problem of this anime is that the point of the story is exposed too late – viewers would gave up long before that episode. It might be better if the story did less focus on mayhem in the village and gave more exposition to individual characters.

That is my reasoning why I am going to place this story above anime series such as Erased, Grimgar and under some more interesting anime series such as Overlord, GATE (Even if both have serious flaws as well).

blackmomi's avatar
Jun 26, 2016

As I started watching it liked it. The story was decent and it had a little bit of thrill. It had nice cliffhanges too. But then, in the secnd half of the anime, it started getting overly complicated and repetitive. It got annoying as characters were deciding what to do for the umptienth time. The characters were all quite common and predictable too. And then the last episode disapointed me most. It had that annoying ending where it tells you everything but nothing at all at the same time. I hate those.

The animation I did like. Appart from the "monsters" it was beautiful.

So overall I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but I'm not gonna say don't watch it either. My suggestion is watch it if you're extremelly bored.

candaya21's avatar
Jul 9, 2016

NOTE: THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

STORY (5/10): Since the characters sees the village as their key to their paradise, the scenery of the anime is alright. The settings fits in with the concept that reminds me of a horror movie. There tends to be a lot of intensity, jump scares and cliff hangers (so you will constantly be up on your feet).

CHARACTERS (5/10): There is a lot of characters who have different personalities and circumstances that they had went through prior to disappearing. (Which in this case, they do explore it during the episodes). For example: There's one who has dealt with an abusive past which causes her to have a mental illness. Plus, There are some who are shy and have a hidden agenda.

OVERALL ENJOYMENT (6/10): I'm not a big fan of this anime. Sometimes it's hard to tell which character is which. But their personalities and backstories help me remember some of them. Sometimes, I get upset at the characters because I hate it when some of them had to quickly judge others without proof. Whenever they to reach to end of each episode… I just want to continue watching it just to see what will they do next during their time in the village.

Feel free to check out my anime review on Youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tklWeZunsY

BearPawBling's avatar
Oct 24, 2019

The concept itself is interesting, but poorly exectuted. The characters are not believable, lacked substance and were very tropey. Even if their erratic behaviour was supposed to be caused by the village itself, it was not convincing.
It was also quite difficult to get into the show to begin with, and it did not really get interesting until some of the last episodes.
The unrelatable characters was the major pitfall, as though the writers were trying to fit as many "extreme personalities" into one show just to tell them apart.

I am sure this show could be enjoyable to someone who is not as sensitive as me when it comes to the portrayal of different personalities.

Flint879's avatar
Jun 24, 2016

THE STORY IS: 30 men & women of all ages & all walks of life are on a bus tour together heading to a mysterious place. Nanaki Village is said to be an urban legend that doesn't appear on any map nor does anyone know how to get there. The whole purpose of going to Nanaki Village is for everyone to, basically, start a new life together after being shunned by society in one way or another. Upon arriving to Nanaki Village, the 30 people discover the village is deserted with signs of people having lived there until very recently. However, the truth of Nanaki Village has yet to be revealed as people start disappearing one by one...

Honestly, The Lost Village was not very good. The first half of the series was filled with mystery & some suspense. The second half of the series was filled with plot holes & nonsense that tried to sound intelligent. There are themes in The Lost Village that people can relate to. Most of them are farfetched, but semi-relatable. This anime was decent all the way up until the mystery was revealed. There are some animes that are good at explaining things & others are not. The Lost Village happened to be one of them that did not. It's not hard to understand the so-called "plot twists" or "brain benders" this show throws out, but they don't have much of an effect. It's not like Serial Experiments Lain where it made very little sense in every which way it came from. They try too hard to explain the things going on in Nanaki Village that they just create more plot holes & raise more questions that do not get answered. Overall story has too little value to be considered anything more than just average.

SOUND & ANIMATION: The music for both the opening & closing were decent choices for the overall theme of the anime. The intro was better than the outro I personally thought. I usually skipped over them after watching them once. Nothing special. The voice acting was well done as usually with this kind of anime. The animation wasn't anything special. Generic scenery & colors didn't make it stand out. Although this is a dark anime so there is a lot of darkness (as in night time). Nothing really noteworthy other than average. By the way, the CGI looks ridiuclous.

CHARACTERS: Just like animes that have a large cast (Danganronpa), there is every type of personality. Some work & get a decent amount of screen time & others do not. There are the characters you could consider the "main" characters, but even with everyone else it doesn't feel like they are anything but part of a large cast where no one person is important. The "main" characters aren't even really likeable either. Sure, they have problems with their pasts, but they weren't even really that interesting.

OVERALL: I have a hard time recommending The Lost Village for a lot of reasons. It's a lot like Paranoia Agent. Very interesting theme, first half of the series is mysterious, then the second half turns to mud. It creates plot holes & unanswered questions will remain as such. The ending was also very abrupt. Possibly one of the worst endings I've seen in a very long time.

4.5/10 overall
Archert's avatar
Feb 1, 2020

Pues no estuvo mal...la serie entretiene y tiene ese lado oscuro en el que piensas que va a morir alguien en cualquier momento, pero no xD una pena. Pienso que estaba bien planteado y tenia todo lo necesario para dejarte con la boca abierta, pero no fue así, te jodes y le preguntas al escritor de por que opto por algo fantasioso a algo realista.

RyvynTheExplorer's avatar
May 5, 2019

It's like Silent Hill meets Lord of the Flies.

There are far too many characters for any of them to make any kind of lasting impact. The only two whose names I even remembered by the end were Mitsumune and Masaki, and that's saying something because I shotgunned this whole anime in one night.

I guess if you like watching groups of people work themselves up into one mindless, screaming lather after another for the tiniest reasons, this is the anime for you. Seriously, the monsters weren't even half as bothersome as all the finger pointing and that one girl who can't go two seconds without howling for somebody's blood.

Anyway, this anime was ok background noise while I was knitting, but if you want an anime that's along these same lines but a million times better, just watch Another.

sweetdesu's avatar
Jan 20, 2019

To be honest, I can hardly remember this embarrassing excuse of an anime. I only came to say this was the dumbest anime to ever be created/animated. The story is boring and unmemorable. The characters were dumb and obnoxious. Everything about this anime was absolutely mind-numbing. I truly believe I lost brain cells watching this.

0.5/10 story