The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Northern War - Reviews

Alt title: Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki

Epimondas's avatar
Jan 25, 2024

This anime is a bit of a letdown.  Frankly it had one of THE WORST and most dissatisfying endings I've EVER seen in an anime.  The last 2 or 3 episodes felt really rushed as if the direct the plot or half the script from them.  Visually, it looks pretty good and more or less decent characters but there are moments where the characters feel a bit carbon copied or lacking depth.  Sadly, the strongest, deepest, and most well developed characters are mostly the minor or support characters.  Such as the Biggs and Wedge clones that follow Lavi like diehard near stalker fanboys.  The ending doesn't live up to the expectations or plot development and the reaction and behavior of the patriotic main characters don't match how things turned out or at least not with respect as the story stands.

In some ways the entire anime can feel like filler episodes, because much of the plot is centered around touring and delving into minor plots or side story arcs.  It's an anime you may think you really want to like but it lacks enough content and even originality and solid storytelling or depth considering it's supposed to involve drama and diplomatic intrigue.  It doesn't live upto the typical political drama standards.  The main cast technically has a pretty good start and foundation but it's also rather incomplete.  This might be or at least feel exacerbated because of the last minute rush in the last episodes.

Overall, it's at least watchable but you may want to stop before tge big ending as it's a huge ass letdown.  On the plus sides; tge mayor exosuits / mechas is a bit different from the norm and in some ways similar to Knight and Magic.  The characters are likable and have good chemistry comraderie.  The side characters are oddly, written better than most of the major characters.  While the action is pretty steady, good, and solid throughout, it does run out of steam in the last episode or two just like the plot and conclusion.

4.5/10 story
8.5/10 sound
4.5/10 overall
geromerah's avatar
Jan 6, 2024

For those who don't know what Trails is and just watched this anime, please just play the games instead ._.
There was a lot of hype from the Trails fanbase regarding this anime but it has turned out as an absolute failure in every regard. Don't let it turn you off from the amazing video game series that this is based upon.

scurvy135's avatar
Oct 30, 2023

The animation quality is what got me interested. The characters, dialogue, and story are what made me disinterested. IO usually give an anime a full EP to see if I like it, but this one just hit every red flag over and over. It's exceedingly boring. It's a shame, because it's got some beautifully drawn scenes. It's got potential, but it's just not there for me.

MidnightLace's avatar
May 26, 2023

Honestly the story seems really good (from what I've watched), but from the very first episode I felt like we were dropped in the middle of story. The MC is a soldier in the army in the north, but gets demoted because of her reckless actions. Then she gets a chance to prove herself, with a mission to another nation with three other comrades. Long story short: she goes, sees how wonderful the country is and how their citizens are living, meets the hero, nearly gets caught, but manage to escape and end up leaving their captain (who sacrifices himself for them to escape). When she gets back she's still in the same position, but is used as pone in a political game, where is finds herself in a compromised position because the person she was being used by was killed. That's where I dropped the anime. Honestly, I don't know if it was very heavy politically, that I got bored of it, that I have short attention span now, or all three; probably all three.

Also, all the characters were very lack-luster, boring, and kinda annoying. The MC had no personality, she was like an empty she, with a chip on her shoulder because of her family lineage. No one stuck out to me; and if they did, they I just thought thy were annoying: the female friend solider was pretty annoying.

The only saving grace of this anime, in my opinion, was the animation; it was really good. Honestly it was leaning towards video game animation, but it still stayed in the normal realm of anime animation (if that makes sense).

Blueflamemaster's avatar
May 7, 2023

Barely made it passed the first 5 minutes of this garbage. DROPPED. Someone tell me if this anime is less garbage the more you watch it.