The Dungeon of Black Company - Reviews

Alt title: Meikyuu Black Company

RoyalOss's avatar
Nov 21, 2021

This was fun. I was expecting regular isekai thrash so this was a pleasant surprise.

The isekai inside an isekai was an interesting twist, for 5 minutes, beside that there was nothing new or surprising in this show.
It does the same thing every other isekai does but even with all those cons this was still an entertaining watch. The main character kept you engaged, the show didn’t take itself serious and Rim is the cutest thing ever. There were a few stabs at capitalism but it didn't rub it in your face to become all political with a message.

It of course has a harem but as I embraced the isekai thrash I was just having fun with it, of course she turns into a sexy lady. Of course, that guy will fall in love with MC too. Of course, we got the lolli, the trap and voluptuous lady.

Main character was an asshole but also not really which made me remind him of Team Rocket. Doing ''evil" stuff and failing as he acts as a fool. So, he becomes a loveable fool trying to be an asshole but actually being kind to everyone. And unlike other anime protagonists he actually achieved something.

The animation and music don’t stand out except for the way how the anime Rim, making her extremely cute. They had, of course, some fanservice moments but luckily Rim was spared and they just kept her cute instead of sexualizing her.

So, in short, the things the show did do were nothing new nor surprising but since it was executed well it made the show enjoyable.

Also nice how they made it a single season. There are possibilities to go further but if it doesn’t get a sequel you could watch this show and have a fulfilled story.

TheRogueNob's avatar
Sep 28, 2021

another end to this season and another weird spin on isekai(and no one is surprised). so black company first off  is a great b tiered show, nothing particularly wrong but nothing great but still a fun watch. I would say give it 3/4 episodes and if you annoyed or really bored drop it, it's seems to be a 12 episode only kind of show so don't expect much. If that's enough for you I hope you enjoy but if you need a bit more then here's the more detailed spoiler free review

first the animation is good and that's about as good as I can say it's the best aspect of the show

next the sound is meh and the music is good but nothing special

the characters are obnoxious meaning that the two that take up most of the screen are loud  the rest don't get enough time to make an impression

the story is alright nothing that's compelling or interesting but it gets the job done

yeah Black company really doesn't wow but if your bored this is definitely better than sonny boy for example. With whatever you choose to do thanks for the read and have a good one!

7.5/10 animation
NomadLord's avatar
Sep 11, 2021

the main character is weird and lame and has a personalisty while it throws random stuff at you and all the charcters are strange or react weirdly to situations its not a good first time anime or a good anmie what so ever.

apoc9's avatar
Oct 24, 2021

Welcome to a different isekai series. It’s a corporate isekai series. A strange combination of corporate tropes put into isekai series to create this oddball comedy. While the series has overarching story it is still full of weird twists and turns [1], which makes it more like series of semirandom ideas. Main protagonist Ninomiya Kinji is businessman to the core. He makes ambitious schemes to rise up to the top from ranks of lowly employees using any trick and tactics possible. Part of the comedy is his schemes tend to backfire back on him. He is somewhat sympathetic antihero fighting even less sympathetic and very exploitative mega corporation in world, where there are no unions or laws protecting workers. So, for an example the company trains lower management by sending them to a bootcamp, which uses psychological manipulation and brainwashing to make obedient employees to the company. Or sells equipment for hefty price to division exploring dungeon/mines for the company. What is worse the MC has no superpowers. His only power is his wits and ability to persuade others.

How you enjoy the series depends how you enjoy the kind of comedy this series is using. Personally, I wasn’t fan to begin with. I’ve read several volumes of the manga source years ago and aside of sense the story is weird and different from most other series I didn’t find it much enjoyable. At best I can praise it for trying to be different, even if it means it’s at times confusing where the story is going.

Audio-visual side of the series is pretty much forgettable. It’s ok, but doesn’t stand out in any particular way.

I would recommend to watch single episode and if you don’t like it there is no point in watching further.

Spoilers

[1] Time travelling to the future of another world.

Ryuga10's avatar
Aug 21, 2021

thank god it was not a generic isekai, I just love its art style and its a proper combination of story and cmody mixed together. give it a watch if u want to watch a fun isekai     it also has some fun world building in it(debatable) .

not much of the story is spent in the dungoen though the story revolves around it.. the mc is a lazy ass but a smart dude who has like 0 interest in women all full into money