The Devil is a Part-Timer! - Reviews

Alt title: Hataraku Maou-sama!

zetsubo666's avatar
Jun 28, 2013

A series about a bunch of otakus with super powers

Very unfortunate to see another grossly over rated series on this site sure in terms of comedy Hataraku Maou sama does deliver overall but as with most comedies that try to make parodies out of other entertainment mediums this series becomes a parody itself. With no direction the plot is awful but the dialogue and character interactions are pretty solid but out of the 2 comedies this season this series is vastly inferior to Yahari. If you love a good comedy this is for you despite the overall score but when it comes to anything else other than comedy such as the theme behind this show being about a Maou then this series utterly fails to deliver in every kind of way.

STORY

This has got to be one of the worst stitched together shows I've seen. None of its elements fit together well. This show had nothing to offer and what the hell was its main point? There was no ongoing consistent theme and it strayed from the idea of demon lord coming to the real world. Maou would have to be the biggest failure of a demon lord ever as he shows no demonic traits apart from a couple occasions where he transforms and that is only in appearance and the series by the end of it became a pretty bad harem comedy with Maou Sadao as the main lead I am pretty sure the series would be even worse if it continued.

Most of the characters from Ente Isla barely used their powers throughout the series and you would have episodes one after the other where they literally just did nothing but have great moments of comedy admitedly but even the comedy falls flat when the series parodies itself. The fights weren't too bad apart from Maou Sadao saving the day every single bloody time because of hax fear power and him being the main character so Emilia who was kicking his sorry behind in Ente Isla was reduced to a damsel in distress so the mighty harem lead could save her. Since it wasn't very deep at all we don't really get to find out why any of what happened did happen and Maou Sadao is portrayed as a kind individual despite trying to commit mass genoicide against the human race on Ente Isla!

Ultimately this mess of the story should have focused on one of a number of themes and stuck to it.

A story of redemption, focusing on Maou-sadao's background and development so we can as an audience watch as he grows on us a character and learn the truth about his behaviour on Ente Isla. Instead this was rushed and awful as he went from badass to pathetic loser in the course of a single month or one episode which was lazy and awful.

It could of gone for a more structured based situational comedy. This where the main focus of the story would be on Maou and Ashiya's crazy experiences on Earth however it strayed from them and tried to be a really bad harem comedy with Chiho, Suzino and Emilia and Emilia really never should have been a candidiate considering both Lucifer and Maou Sadao between them had got her father killed and destroyed the village she grow up in not leaving a single person alive. I don't know about you but I certainly wouldn't fall in love with someone who got my entire family killed and destroyed my home town entirely no matter Maou's reasons you can't justify that kind of crap.

- A fantasy thriller filled with deciet, betrayl and the mysteries of Ente Isla whilst confined to the real world. This would focus on the intrigue of the religion and how it worked in the world of Ente Isla and Emilia with Maou having to learn to work together to overcome it with moments of comedy. Instead they never really go anywhere with this angle as it hints there might be more to it than that but the author clearly doesn't know how to do a consistent plot and seems to have toyed with the idea and then gave up. A real shame because the story of this anime had the potential to be so much better so it was such a waste for this setting.

ANIMATION

This is where Hataraku Maou sama shines as the series did excellent facial expressions and we are already seeing some superb memes come from this series and it managed to make the battles far more exciting than they actually are.

SOUND

Pretty meh I guess the opening was okay and there was this one other track that was good but overall nothing memorable.

CHARACTERS

Has a couple of very good charactes and some characters that grow on you as the series goes on but yet again I am reviewing another series with a terrible main character it is pretty funny how many ways the anime industry can come up with terrible main characters. Thank goodness we only have to put with Maou Sadao for a single season and while he is better than other main characters he is still awful but Shirou Ashiya made up for how terrible he was. However he gets far too little screen time in the 2nd half of the series and since most of the best comedy in the show is focused around him this sucks big time.

Maou Sadao

I didn't want to have to take this route but since so many try to ignore it, I am going to have to come out and say it. Maou Sadao is basically Hitler of Ente Isla as both were misguided morons that tried to anihilate an entire race they never really tried or did understand. Yet at least with Hitler we have more background as to why he did it not that it makes it any more acceptable of course as both are absolutely atrocious acts and Maou Sadao never really gets punished for his actions or tries to redeem himself. Instead he acts like a complete plonker in the real world where everyone takes the piss out of him but has a very hax power that makes him win battles very easy. He started off very promising in episode one but the crucial month of development and how he became an idiot was never shown instantly making him a terrible main character.

I like badass characters I even like characters who are rottern to the core eg. Hisoka or someone incredibly violent like Accelerator however the authors of these series never try to pretend that their actions are acceptable or that they are a nice guy. However the HUGE problem I have with Maou Sadao is they try to imply he is a nice guy despite being the Ente Isla equivalent to hitler. They should take two paths with this, either say he is a nasty piece of work and not dwell on it any longer as he is the Maou, or actively try to return to Ente Isla to try and redeem himself for his misunderstanding that caused so many to die.

However what the author of Hatarku Maou sama is trying to tell you is it is cool to be like Hitler and if you be nice to people you will get yourself a harem. What a wonderful message you give to anyone young watching this. Anyone who brushes a serious issue like mass genoicide aside like it is nothing or just a minor plot point to the story is clearly wrong in the head considering the horrors of those that had to go through a real genoicide still gives those poor people nightmares. Also on a final note all the times he came across as nice and saves those around him all the problems were caused by him in the first place as every single battle was his fault it was the least he could do to help them and doesn't not make him a kind person at all.

Shirou Ashiya

The right hand man of Maou sadao and is the best character of this show without a doubt there probably isn't a single moment in the series where he doesn't make you laugh. The main problem with this character is he needed more screen time especially during the 2nd half of the series where he gets stuck on the toilet and he is the only one who actually sticks to the role they had in Ente Isla really while the others have changed far too much. If only his master was as likeable as he was and while his character isn't completely unique its been best handled in this series.

Emilia Yusa

I liked Emilia a lot at first but as the series went on she stopped growing on me and started to become pretty terrible as her behaviour just made little sense and she had been a damsel in distress two fights in a row despite being more powerful than Maou Sadao in Ente Isla. Her character had her first problem when they went over her past and when she confronts Maou Sadao he just brushes it aside so Chiho can have a moment of jealousy. Needed more depth to her character and more explanation as to why she seemed to stop caring about Maou butchering her home town and father and ruining her entire life. Her starting to fall for him considering everything he had done to her in the past was just utterly stupid beyond belief.

Chiho Sasaki

While she is sweet and pretty funny on occasions I have to say Chiho that you are an idiot. You fall in love with a plonker and your argument against Suzuno for trying defend him was pretty poor but what I like about you is that you acknowledge it but I wish I could have seen more of the build up as to how you came to like him for it. Also Chiho not being a resident of Ente Isla did not experience the horrors of Maou's final solution against mankind first hand so as far as the harem members go she is the most legit.

Lucifer

Another subordinate of Maou Sadao and yet again more likable than his master yet again but at first he wasn't very appealing. However as he gets caught up in the silly antics of stronghold Maou he was a welcome addition to the cast bringing in his own brand of comedy.

Suzuno Kamazaki

Wow considering you were a member of the church and then you betrayed the very organisation you were with the entirety of your life you and your motivations failed to make any sense at all. Instead of flitering around doing absolutely nothing she should have attacked the Maou immediately but despite being a resident of Ente Isla and experiencing the horrors of the Maou's purge first hand she yet again appears to forgive him because he is a 'nice' person. At least Emilia is meant to be a compassionate hero so she has a tiny excuse not to try and kill the Maou consistently where as Suzuno was meant to be a ruthless assassin that didn't question her orders. However coming to Japan made her realise the error of her ways and she decided not to kill him at all in the end and becoming harem member number 3 while completely shattering anything that resembled character consistency into a million pieces.

Well that is all I have to say on this over rated series but despite being below average if you like a good laugh and don't give a crap about plot then this is the series for you. However if you want a comedy that handle serious elements and plot far better then switch on over to Yahari because out of the two major comedies this season Yahari is far better. Feel free to go ahead and watch both though but remember there are much better comedies out there which aren't over hyped like this one.

zephyrre's avatar
Sep 28, 2015

The animation is great and the comedy is good, but the characters are eye-rollingly stereotypical (I mean seriously, could Emi get anymore tsundere?) and the story is just a mish-mash of over-done cliches. The creators even had to throw in some fanservice, and you know you're in trouble when you're making an anime about Satan working at McDonalds, but you need a shot of a girl taking her shirt off to keep people interested.

YuiYui's avatar
Apr 23, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

I loved this series, the whole idea was really interesting and I couldn't wait to get started. So lets start...first of all the storyline was a unique one and was full of comedy elements. (I admit that it made me laugh a couple of times) but even when they got (slightly) serious there are comedy elements which I thought was pretty clever. However the only thing that really bothered me was the ending, they left it open completely! I know at this point in time there are possibilities of a second series but still. So that is all on the story.

Next the animation (like normal I haven't got much to say on this), I liked it, the character designs were amazing and the overall scenery was pretty impressive...my final point on this is the opening animation, I just loved it how they used clips featured in the episodes before to create the 1st opening (in a way), I also loved how they then introduced the official opening! Clever way to use previous episodes in my opinion.

Now the music, as I mentioned in the last paragraph I loved the opening and the only way to get a really good opening if you match a amazing song with the animation which they did perfectly. It was a catchy song and highly enjoyable. The ending on the other hand didn't really intrigue me (sadly).

The characters are all completely different in personalities which I think is important (well it has to be). Just about all the main characters had a loveable side to then (even Lucifer). I don't really have anything to complain about other than they really needed to be developed more.

Overall this was an over average series it had an amazing opening song but the ending wasn't as interesting. The characters had a wonderful contrast with each other however the ending was left open and that really annoyed me. On a more positive note if you like a fantasy, comedy thing then you should enjoy this!

~AngelBeatsYui~

RingoStarr1991's avatar
Jun 29, 2013

Straight from my blog

***This is a spoiler free review***

Anime has recently been on a trend of light hearted comedy shows with a heavy emphasis on “moe”. While Hataraku Maou-sama embodies many of these elements, it is surprisingly enjoyable to watch. It also redeems this season by turning this great light novel into a non-mediocre anime (*cough* Date A Live *cough*).

Story: 7/10

The plot in Hataraku Maou-sama flows surprisingly well from the beginning all the way towards to the ending. The main focus of the show is on the Demon King Sadao who after losing a battle with the humans flees to Earth through a portal. Not wanting the Demon King to get away, The Hero Emi follows the Demon King to the human earth. The first couple episodes really made me interested in the direction the show wanted to go because the plot introduced my favorite type of character; the fish out of water character. When you have a character dropped into a situation with absolutely no understanding of what is going on around him, you (the audience) has the perfect opportunity to learn with the main character. Since everything has to be spelled out for him, you in turn get to learn everything along with him thus making the experience much more fluid. Granted Sadao does get on his feet rather quickly finding a job and a place to live early on, the first episode was very funny as he and his minion Shirou had to deal with the Japanese culture and police. The only issue with the pacing of the show was that the ending was not really an ending at all and that the one sided love that Chiho expresses feels a little forced. The show did not go out of its way to give us a huge, thought provoking experience but it did not cause me to fall asleep watching it.

As I stated in the opening sentence of this review, this show is a comedy. To be more specific this show is a gag comedy meaning that a lot of people will not like the short jab of jokes. Also a lot of the jokes are centered on Japanese common knowledge things such as their healthcare system. There is also a huge emphases on “moe” or super cute girls that you just want to hug the ever living s#!t out of. There is a moderate amount of fan service in the show but it really did not overly distract me from what was going on.

Animation: 8.5/10

The animation for me was pretty excellent. There are some truly awesome quality shots in this anime such as the scene in daylight under the trees in the park in the last episode or the final fight scene in episode twelve. The character models are also very well done and seeing how this is a very “cute girl” anime, the females all have their unique charm. I think it is safe to say that Chiho is now the most adorable anime girl with huge boobs. I just want to give them…err her a big ol’ hug.

Sound: 6/10

The only noteworthy awesome thing about the sound in this anime was the performance of the voice actors. I absolutely loved the voice of each character in the anime regardless if they had a major or minor role. Other than that though I felt like the show’s sound was average. The music choices for the show felt bland and didn’t really help make the show any better.

Characters: 7/10

Emi, Sadao, Lucifer, and Shirou all made this show extremely fun to watch. Their back and forth bantering brought many funny and enjoying moments throughout the show’s first season. We also had our fill of super cute…err female leads! Each of the three main females in the show has varying personalities. Emi is the really cold and ruthless one, Chiho has a really cheerful attitude (and huge boobs), and the other female lead Suzuno I won’t talk about so I do not spoil anything but she turned out to be my favorite. I mean even Emi's friend Rika is just oozing cuteness on an unfathomable level. This show does have a lot of “moe” elements but it is not putting all of its eggs into this basket. The plot flows so well because of the character interactions; the cuteness is just a super sweet add-on.

Overall: 7.1/10

This show was truly a surprise gift (for me at least) in this anime season. After seeing how much high school/slice of life stuff was coming, I thought that this was just going to be another one of those forgettable ones. This show had an interesting premise with the characters and animation to back it up. Even though the sound sort of took a back seat role, this anime really has everything it needs to keep pretty much everyone interested. If fanservice is an issue for you there really is only two or three scenes where they just throw it in your face so it should not be a huge issue.

Enjoyment: 7.8/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

8.5/10 animation
7.1/10 overall
ReviewBonfire's avatar
Apr 24, 2020

Hataraku Maou-sama got off to a very promising start, I certainly cannot deny that. It started with a very interesting introduction and quickly got to the point and topic of the action. The animations and the detail in it were also presented very well.

As can be seen from the description, the protagonist "Demon King" lands in Japan and is forced to look for a simple job and somehow keep himself afloat due to his lost powers. Here you got to see a lot of Slice_of_Life and Comedy elements, one worked out more and the other less well. There was also a spark in the plot, but this was very small.

The beginning was still not promising, it didn't stay that long. From episode to episode, the anime started to lose track pretty quickly and the past started to be forgotten. Against episodes 6-7, one could almost think that it was a normal comedy anime and that the events from episode 1 had no connection. At least he was still partially entertaining, even if the humor had declined somewhat and the gags became very meaningless.

Genre:

Action: The action in the anime was only spread over about 3 episodes. At about the beginning, center and end. Not too much and not too little, very balanced. Everything was also right with the animations and dynamics. [+]
Comedy: At the beginning the humor was quite individual and had a certain depth, which was well related to the events. Towards the center, it became weaker and less meaningful because apparently they ran out of ideas. []
Fantasy: Nothing special, the usual program of magic, demons and other stuff. Existing is available. [+]
Magic: There wasn't a lot of magic to see here, it was rather limited. There was probably an energy ball here and there, but otherwise nothing. [-]
Romance: There was nothing noteworthy about Romance either. Just hints and nothing more. [-]
Shounen: You can divide it underneath.

Subtext:

The genre Slice_of_Life would have found a much better place here than some others.

Story: The plot was very simple. The protagonist ends up in the human world, has no strength left and has to join human life for the time being. In the meantime, you can see different scenes of the characters' everyday life and somewhere the one or the other fight begins, until finally the final fight begins and the anime ends.

However, some of the everyday activities have been made useful. For example, like the spit house. Of all the lax pseudo spit houses you could ever see in anime, this was clearly the most creative.

Animation / pictures:

The animations were quite satisfactory. If you like dynamic and fluid fights, you might find something here, but these were not particularly persistent.

Otherwise, the shadows and lighting effects were just as satisfactory.

Ahja .. the characters. Where there was still potential at the beginning, there was a desolate desert in the end.

The protagonist (demon king) was a very interesting personality at the beginning due to his design and his style. However, he lost his properties very quickly and began to develop towards "0815" protagonists with some notable features. Like his dialogues, reactions and actions, none of this was more like the beginning. Even towards the end he showed nothing really interesting apart from the fighting.

His partner, who was initially a very likeable character, also remained quite likable. However, he was left in the course of the series Left and hardly really noticed, whereas other characters were given the limelight.

The protagonist was the Tsundere as it is in the book. Hardly any depth of character, development or anything. She was a bit fresher in design, but her personality left something to be desired. Even if her role in the plot made her a little more interesting, since some of her actions weren't too pointless.

The other protagonist was truly a block on the leg. You know it, the typical good girl with the large bust size who is only there to be there.

Music:

The music was more or less a disaster.

The intro was very weak from the footage and song and could not really prove itself.
The outro was also nothing special.
Most of the soundtracks were just average. There were some who emphasized some scenarios well, but these were the minority.

My conclusion

to

Hataraku Maou-sama!

The series is certainly enough for in between. She was able to entertain at the beginning, but lost a lot of strength, but was still not too daunting. Unfortunately from that